Lightning Fate /discuss

Dubs

Hey guys and gals,

Ok I'll admit , I have yet to play FFXIII, I know blasphemy right? I decided to skip the current console generation to solely keep to PC gaming. Not sure if this has come up in any other threads and honestly I'm a bit too lazy to dig at the moment.

Anyways, what's your thought on this? Do you think it's controversial, conflicting to the current story arc from an RP standpoint or meh go with the flow?

From my perspective I'm a bit more "meh go with flow-ish".

6THblrX01N4

I haven't followed this too closely, but I'm aware of the justification, vaguely, as well as the rewards.

I'm playing through FFXIII at the moment myself (I got distracted by these forums today.) I'm a latecomer to the generation also, having got a PS3 almost 2 years ago... and a proper TV for it last Christmas. I strongly advise against playing a current-gen console on an old TV...

Long story short, the game has taken me a while to warm up to, and it might be nostalgia speaking... but to me, the game doesn't have that feeling one gets from the series. It'd be really nice to have a trenchcoat or similar for my character, and I might do the event twice for the gear. I like the designs... but it doesn't appeal to me from an RP standpoint as far as Lightning is involved. (I understand she's quite popular, especially in Japan... but I would have preferred someone else, as XIII has several spinoffs already.)

At the same time, I'm not going to be decrying the event totally or demanding that it gets removed. I'd like to see what happens. I could like it, personally, or I might only do it once. I am curious as to whether it's a temporary thing though.

Short version: I might use the gear OOCly or in pieces, but I don't plan to reference it in my character's storylines at all. I'm slightly skeptical. I don't mean to offend anyone with this post, and everything should be construed as my opinion.

I just wish female characters could get Snow's coat. :)

Yes I bet that can look cool!

I don't really mind it. It could be because I'm new to RP but as long as they explain it well enough it's okay with me. If anything I'm more bothered about lighting posing and wearing Miqo'te racial armor because it doesn't suit her personality at all. That said I only played through FFXIII not XIII-2 so I dunno if she has any sweeping changes in her character.

The idea of  automatically changing your hair color and hair style too might seem a little "clone-ish". Well then again we are all pretty much going to find some means to meander around our individuality with everyone getting the same armor  / weapon models. Ahh vanity.

Actually, the giant waffle iron monk weapons are strangely appealing to me. *belly grumble*

I honestly haven't played any FF game past ten. I barely made it through FFX and couldn't work up the drive to play any of the others. It just seemed as if they had lost whatever made them fun from prior to VII, or I'd gotten tired of it -- one or the other.

So... since I pretty much only know the character by her name and frequent mentions on the internets, I'm in the "meh go with the flow" category.

I don't mind at all.

I think this was only made to promote the new FFXIII Lightning Returns, which I don't care for. At least they're bothering to find an excuse that would make it work with the lore.

No-- even if they didn't bother with excuses and treated it as the promotion material it actually is, I wouldn't give it much of a thought, nor would it affect my RP in any way. People tend to love ooc costumes in games, so it's all good if they're released.

Other than that, I don't play or follow FF games, so I'm not interested in those. I'm glad for the fans of those characters, though; I imagine it might be exciting?

I will eat my own shoe on youtube and post the link in this very thread if SE finds a way to write this that actually makes sense in the context and lore set by Eorzea.

Considering how adamantly Yoshida declared that they would, I look forward to the video.

On a serious know, I won't white knight about this, but I will say that the lore team are perhaps one of the more competent writers I've seen in an MMO in recent history, they're created a very thorough and details mythos without overly referencing pop culture or borrowing from popular fantasy settings (besides the obvious ones taken from the franchise). Sure there is a lot of fan service, but in most cases they do a good job of explaining it. Even Minions will have a canon lore explanation. So with that in mind I have high hopes that there will be a fitting story for this, so long as you keep an open mind.

If you come into this with the mentality that it's stupid or will suck, no explanation they give will ever be good enough.

I think the thing we have to keep in mind is that Lightning coming to the world of Hydaelyn was not meant for us, the roleplayers, but rather the general casual Final Fantasy player. Omitting her from the RP lore should be fine.

Yoshi-P has stated that there will be an actual reason for her being here and that she'll be part of this world...honestly I chalk that up as "She came through the void somehow and now she's here." The reality is as what Clover said, this is shameless promotion for Lightning Returns. 

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it right now since all we can do is speculate. If anything, its just a funny throw back to FFXIII since it doesn't seem they're carrying much lore elements from that game into this (all the current lore elements seem to be derived from Final Fantasy I - VII).

I don't think we'll see this for very long either. I imagine the event will probably take place around the time of FFXIII: LR's release date, and be gone by the time the game comes out being explained as Lightning returning back to her own world or something. The gear will last about as long as any other vanity item in pretty much any other game. You'll see people dressed up like Snow or Lightning for a few weeks, but once the novelty wears off everyone will go back to just wearing their normal gear.

I will eat my own shoe on youtube and post the link in this very thread if SE finds a way to write this that actually makes sense in the context and lore set by Eorzea.

Considering how adamantly Yoshida declared that they would, I look forward to the video.

If you come into this with the mentality that it's stupid or will suck, no explanation they give will ever be good enough.

I'd rather chew my Asics for the amusement of the masses than spit on a clever bit of writing I publicly challenged before it was even written.  I'm a man of my word!

The only two things I know for sure.

I don't like Lightning, Square's been trying to hard to MAKE me like Lightning and I feel that Lightning's dwindling popularity is making them try to make us like her even harder. (I fully expect her to be a party member in the next Kingdom Hearts and have a huge over arching plot).

I don't look forward to the fifty thousand Lightning/Snow cosplayers running around.

TL;DR?

Lightning-Returns-Final-Fantasy-XIII-Special-costume-1.jpg