Would a 1.0 noob get the 2.0 story?

This question just kinda popped into my head. I have a 1.0 character that has one job of level 20. So I obviously didn't play that far in 1.0. I barely touched the echo story. So for those that played the beta with their 1.0 characters through the new story some, would you say that the 2.0 story has some details that I wouldn't get unless I played deep into 1.0?

I read up and watched some videos on the 1.0 story, but I just have a basic overview of the events. I don't know if I know enough of the details.

Also some random questions:

Could I change to a level 1 class okay and still progress or will that cause some issues?

I remember hearing that 1.0 characters will get a one-time remake, do we know any details on this? What can be changed etc?

This question just kinda popped into my head. I have a 1.0 character that has one job of level 20. So I obviously didn't play that far in 1.0. I barely touched the echo story. So for those that played the beta with their 1.0 characters through the new story some, would you say that the 2.0 story has some details that I wouldn't get unless I played deep into 1.0?

I read up and watched some videos on the 1.0 story, but I just have a basic overview of the events. I don't know if I know enough of the details.

Also some random questions:

Could I change to a level 1 class okay and still progress or will that cause some issues?

I remember hearing that 1.0 characters will get a one-time remake, do we know any details on this? What can be changed etc?

Players new and old to FFXIV will have an easy time getting into the story for ARR, even though it continues from, and makes references to 1.0, you aren't even really required to have read up on or watched videos from the original game. As far as customization goes, when you imported character data from 1.0 you could still pick a class you wanted to play, this seemed mostly as a means of letting old players repick their starting city (and thus the main scenario they experienced). Once the game launches all 1.0 characters will have the opportunity to recustomize their race, appearance, gender, birthday, pick a new main class/city, and rename their character.

That's right, I remember picking my class when I tried her in the beta for a bit, but I figured I was supposed to pick the highest one that she was or else things would be wonky. I didn't try picking a class she didn't have any levels in. >.

That's right, I remember picking my class when I tried her in the beta for a bit, but I figured I was supposed to pick the highest one that she was or else things would be wonky. I didn't try picking a class she didn't have any levels in. >.<

Nope, you can pick any class you want, everyone starts the storyline from the same point.

The only thing about classes is you have to reach level 10 in your first one before you can grab others. If you're already 20, you'Re good to go. ^^

As far as story goes, we're in the same spot!

I did more RP and guildleves than story stuff for the few months I played... In any case, it seems like 2.0 has its own story and being a 5-years-later sequel, it's more of a stand-alone with references to 1.0. Would have been a bad move to do things otherwise considering all the new players.

Now for us "Legacy" players who didn't finish the 1.0 story... I dunno, we might feel like we missed things.. but the important part I think can be looked up pretty easily (Garlean invasion, final battle...)

It's not gonna be like watching [insert cartoon serie here] [insert episode title here] part 2 without watching [insert episode title here] part 1, for sure.

I never really played 1.x, so I came into the ARR story fresh. I played through the main scenario quest in P3 before reading up on the 1.x story. What I found is that, while the 2.x storyline references (sometimes in a big way) things from the 1.x story, and many of the main NPCs are the same, knowledge of the 1.x story isn't necessary to know what's going on. The two stories are fairly independent of each other.

You shouldn't have much trouble. The plotline for 1.0, which pretty epic to be part of, was really very straightforward.

Nael Van Darnus, gigantic PENIS and professional Hater of Joy for the Garlean Army sees that we have nice things, and decides that the appropriate answer for this crime is to drop a moon on our heads.

Gaius Van Baelsar noted that this would undoubtably break our nice things, and perhaps the Garleans would be better using methods that would have a higher chance of leaving those nice things intact so the Garleans could filch them after. But the Emperor was a cranky old bastard and wanted those damn Eorzeans off his grass NOW, even if it meant no more grass. And ignoring the fact it wasn't actually his grass. So in defiance Gaius nobly protested this potential genocide by sitting on the sidelines and occasionally flicking popcorn at Darnus' head as he watched.

But Nael had a sinister plot hidden even from the Emperor! See, his purpose wasn't to drop an entire moon on us in an act that would likely wipe out all life in Eorzea, his plan was for the moon to crack open just before impact, carpet bombing the landscape with huge chunks and releasing a city-sized dragon that would fly out and wipe out all life in Eorzea.

But, y'know, in a more sinister way because dragon.

Naturally, the three rational city states weren't exactly wild about this idea, and decided they needed to stop it. The fourth, Ishguard, decided to stay true to their traditional tactic of sitting behind their city gates and lip twiddling. After all, they were the city-state that was responsible for keeping the dragons at bay! The dragons only they could see and everyone had to take their word for. They didn't have time to spare for any of this corporeal, visible dragon nonsense!

So the Alliance hatched this big plan to gather all our forces where Dalamud was going to hit and then... pray really REALLY hard. Like super hard. And then the Twelve would pop up and put the moon back and it'd all be good. In the meantime we killed Darnus deader than dead actually is because we weren't going to stand for him ripping off Gabranth and Sephiroth anymore.

Things didn't quite work out that way. The Twelve showed up, or at least big symbols of them, but apparently they weren't prepped for heavy lifting, and Bahamut was kinda squirmy, so they had to go lie down. There was a lot of blindy-whitey stuff going on, we were about to get deadified, and then we weren't and it was five years later and we had a LOT of explaining to do to the tax bureau.

And now you know everything we do.

Isilme, that's the 7th Umbral Era plot, not the main storyline (concerning the Echo). xD I think she wanted to know more about the other stuffs.

Ah, well as far as the Echo goes...

It's actually much better explained in ARR. In 1.0, it went like this:

You enter a room to speak to someone. There is a woosh, and they carry on the conversation, but their clothes are different. Someone runs in, and something happens. Sometimes you have to fight. Eventually, you learn that you are jumping into people's memories... which doesn't make sense in a lot of cases because you enter a memory, travel somewhere, fight something, then the memory ends and you're STILL THERE, implying that while in the Echo you're sleepwalking around murdering innocent things. It also implies that the main NPCs haven't aged in ten years and that people spend an awful lot of time standing in EXACTLY THE SAME POSITION for considerable spans of their life. It also means that everything you do for the first fifteen levels or so is actually completely pointless because it happened years ago.

Eventually you find the Path of the Twelve, which is the organization that become the Scions of the Seventh Dawn, which are a secret organization dedicated to doing... stuff. They're not terribly clear on that point. Minfilia states their goal is to use their powers to help the people of Eorzea, but given our powers are to randomly invade someone's privacy and a copy of Google Translate running in our brains, I'm not entirely sure how that's supposed to work, especially for those who took crafting as their main job. Of course, there was always Parley, a tile-based conversation game like Scattergories with the power to turn away even the fiercest foe in merely five times the time it would take to twat him on the head with a stick... provided they agree to a game in the first place.

Then you join the Grand Companies and the Path of the Twelve is never mentioned again, the NPC partner you so carefully selected gets lost in the Market Wards, never to be seen again, and mentioning the existence of Parley becomes punishable by fatal amounts of ridicule.

Essentially... I tried to follow the plot of the Echo for the three main cities, and as far as I can tell... the writers didn't have it straight themselves. It was originally designed to make it so you initially couldn't tell what was present day and what was in the Echo, but a few times they got mixed up themselves.

The current development team wisely decided that perhaps they should keep it simple, and now Echo manifests itself as grainy filter vision.

Otherwise... ARR actually tells you a LOT more about the Echo than you ever learned in 1.0.

Now for us "Legacy" players who didn't finish the 1.0 story... I dunno, we might feel like we missed things.. but the important part I think can be looked up pretty easily (Garlean invasion, final battle...)

I feel like I picked up most of the important historical details just playing through the story quests in 2.0.