Taking screenshots in Char Creation Benchmark

I've seen several people posting their screenies of their characters from the benchmark, however when I try to take a screenshot using the 'Print Screen' key and pasting it into Photoshop or Paint, all I am getting is a black image.  Is there a special trick/keybinding?

I've been using either FRAPS, or (with the full client) Steam.

I've seen several people posting their screenies of their characters from the benchmark, however when I try to take a screenshot using the 'Print Screen' key and pasting it into Photoshop or Paint, all I am getting is a black image.  Is there a special trick/keybinding?

I've been using a free program called Greenshot, and I had the exact issues to begin with. When I went into the benchmark and changed from "Fullscreen" to "Borderless Windowed" in the Display Options, then I was able to get screenshots correctly.

Hope that is your case as well, and this fixes your issue :thumbsup:

OH! OH! ME ME! I KNOW THIS!

I had this problem is well, it's because you're playing on Fullscreen, switch to border-less windowed mode and pasting into paint will work once more. (it's also much easier on most computers and looks identical to fullscreen)

I just use the free version of FRAPS ... or Steam.

niteshadeo: that should happen (better performance), since you are no longer running explorer.exe Basically windows gets to take a break from your desktop and can unload it (or at least put it aside) so you get just a bit more ram and processing power.

Borderless Windowed vs Fullscreen for me is literally a 200pt difference in score (fullscreen scores better). On older systems with less processing power (or video card ram / or system memory) you will find Fullscreen works better. If your PC rig is top of the line with like 16GB of ram, a crazy insane CPU and like a $500 video card then borderless windowed will run almost identical to fullscreen since you have so much processing power to spare

You're on a PC? the easiest way to do it is to press the Windows key and the Print Screen key at the same time. And bingo! Screenshot. It will be saved to your "My Pictures" folder.

I use Alt and it works too, I did not know Windows key works either! I have learned something new today :thumbsup:

I use Dxtory! It's like fraps but doesn't cause performance drop and has a few better options. I find Fraps has trouble on my higher end machine (weird D:) when I'm trying to video capture at full resolution and max settings. The drop isn't significant, but it's there.

do you have the video capture set to 30 FPS? the free version of fraps caps your FPS to 30 when doing video capture (record a movie)

If you have the paid version you can select 60 FPS or 50FPS ; it could just be "capping" your FPS when recording so your 100+ FPS drops to 30FPS which makes it look like you are lagging. I know when I had a full version of Fraps many years ago it had no problems with 50 or 60 FPS recording.

I will say some people have complained that despite being set to 60 FPS the recording can make it seem like your system is lagging, but I think that might be related to Vsync issues (like when LoTRO for me is put on Vsync it used to stutter until Turbine finally patched that bug out)

I use Dxtory! It's like fraps but doesn't cause performance drop and has a few better options. I find Fraps has trouble on my higher end machine (weird D:) when I'm trying to video capture at full resolution and max settings. The drop isn't significant, but it's there.

do you have the video capture set to 30 FPS? the free version of fraps caps your FPS to 30 when doing video capture (record a movie)

If you have the paid version you can select 60 FPS or 50FPS ; it could just be "capping" your FPS when recording so your 100+ FPS drops to 30FPS which makes it look like you are lagging. I know when I had a full version of Fraps many years ago it had no problems with 50 or 60 FPS recording.

I will say some people have complained that despite being set to 60 FPS the recording can make it seem like your system is lagging, but I think that might be related to Vsync issues (like when LoTRO for me is put on Vsync it used to stutter until Turbine finally patched that bug out)

No, fraps is just a well known resource hog. It's fine on my laptop which is like an lower-high end machine. But on my actual gaming beast of a computer, the resource hogging gets noticeable. I had the paid fraps set to 60 FPS and all.

It was definitely fraps causing the lag, cause as soon as I converted to dxtory, I was playing at 60FPS flawlessly. And it offers a lot more options as I said for quality. I find I can go full out bang maximum recording quality without a hitch with it.

EDIT: I've also heard great things about Bandicam. Was going to give that a spin for FFXIV.

I'm not surprised to be honest, FRAPS always did love to nom away at your system memory . Why I just use a 'free' version aka.. 30 sec video etc. Just makes a great tool to check your FPS + screenshot + quickly take some video

Bandicam is really good. A few of my friends have used it and never had problems.

In fact.. not sure why I even have FRAPS still installed HAHAHA. I forgot bandicam lets you do 10mins of recording per video (unregistered) while FRAPS does 30 seconds

edit: there is another out there called Dxtory but I have never used it