Benchmark Score and a possible switch

Nox

Alrighty, so I ran the benchmark on my new laptop on all of the highest settings and got a score of 2387. They said that was "standard". With that being said, is that a good score? If so, I'm thinking of switching my reservation from PS3 to PC, because I'd love to game on the go and totally not in boring classes. Thank you ahead of time!

Edt: Just ran the test again and got a higher score (2524). Weird.

Alrighty, so I ran the benchmark on my new laptop on all of the highest settings and got a score of 2387. They said that was "standard". With that being said, is that a good score? If so, I'm thinking of switching my reservation from PS3 to PC, because I'd love to game on the go and totally not in boring classes. Thank you ahead of time!

You might be able to run the game on your laptop, but I have a feeling large content like FATEs or 8 man dungeons will be hard on your machine, as well as being incredibly laggy. Not to mention the game may actually look worse on your laptop than it does on a PS3, I'm not sure how good the graphics are at standard settings.

Well, I would retest it on a lower setting, like High Laptop, and see how that scores.

My old PC never could run the game on maximum settings, but could run it quite comfortably under the equivalent of High Laptop for even bustling areas, and it still looked really gorgeous.

Yeah, my laptop gets in the 2000s (I think) on maximum settings too, but around 4500 on "high-ish" settings. Save your score after running the benchmark and look at the "average FPS" value in the log file. If it's below 30, you may want to consider lowering your settings. Using the same graphics settings I used in the beta, my average FPS from the benchmark is listed at around 37-38 and I had zero problems doing dungeons or FATEs.

Probably the single most expensive setting in the graphics options is SSAO, so you may want to turn that off if it isn't already.

it depends on the hardware in that laptop. At the highest settings (Maximum) scoring 2300-ish isn't bad for a laptop. You probably would do better to turn it down to Laptop(High) or Standard settings.

My friend's laptop scored around 5400 with Laptop(high), and that takes into account HDR and limb shading. Disabling HDR and limb shading would bump his score up to nearly 6000.

My desktop scores around 8500 at my own custom settings, and around 4700 - 5100 for Maximum.

At 2300 you will get 30FPS in normal areas but once you go into towns and fates expect 15-20 FPS. I scored that on maximum for phase 3 (benchmark 1.0 i scored around 2800 maximum) and outside of standard combat i couldn't even touch 30 FPS. Tone the graphics back a little bit and you should have no problems.

Better yet... try these settings.

General

-Enable HDR rendering and improve overall graphic quality. : Disabled

-Disable rendering of objects when not visible. (Occlusion Culling) : Enabled

-Use low-detail models on distant objects. (LOD) : Enabled

-Cache LOD data only when necessary. (LOD Streaming) : Disabled

-Real-time Reflections : Normal

-Edge Smoothing (Anti-aliasing) : Off

-Transparent Lighting Quality : Normal

-Grass Quality : Normal

Shadows

-Self : Display

-Other NPCs : Display

Shadow Quality

-Use low-detail models on shadows. (LOD) : Enabled

-Shadow Resolution : Normal - 1024p

-Shadow Cascading : Best

-Shadow Softening : Strong

Texture Detail

-Texture Filtering : Anisotropic

-Anisotropic Filtering : x8

Movement Physics

-Self : Full

-Other NPCs : Full

Effects

-Naturally darken the edges of the screen. (Limb Darkening) : Disabled

-Blur the graphics around an object in motion. (Radial Blur) : Enabled

-Screen Space Ambient Occlusion : Off

-Glare : Off

Cinematic Cutscenes

-Enable depth of field. : Enabled

what is your score after those settings; the above settings give me almost 8500 on a i7 3770, windows 7 w/ a 2GB 7770 video card (128 bit memory bus hurts) but the game is playable at 60 FPS almost everywhere including fates (average FPS is almost 76 FPS) ... while no means as beautiful as "Maximum" the game still looks EXTREMELY good due to focusing the graphics into what counts... the textures.. shadows.. shadow effects.. lighting etc ; while sacrificing subtle improvements HDR gives as well as "distance". Objects in the distance (like when you leave Ul'Dah and see the lighthouse, on Maximum it looks AMAZING, with those settings it looks decent, but the spinning light effect is still close to top notch.

Nox by chance do you  know what CPU(processor) and GPU (Graphics card) you have in that laptop... also how much Ram?

I have an Intel i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz processor, 8.00 GB of RAM, and... Intel HD Graphics 4000 (VRAM 1664 MB).

Intel HD Graphics 4000 (VRAM 1664 MB).

There's your problem ; assuming your video card is not in "power saving mode" like some Nvidia mobile GPU's are... you have integrated graphics. While IG's have come a long way and can now play some top tier graphics games they still lack bandwidth and speed which is why your score would be so low.

Kinda like how my 7770 scores around 5000 at Max.. but if I bought a 7850 I'd score almost 60% higher just because the Graphical Memory on the card is over 120% more efficient

The game will def. be playable but you might have to tone down the graphics settings to something like Standard

Intel HD Graphics 4000 (VRAM 1664 MB).

There's your problem  ;   assuming your video card is not in "power saving mode" like some Nvidia mobile GPU's are...  you have integrated graphics.   While  IG's have come a long way and can now play some top tier graphics games they still lack bandwidth and speed  which is why your score would be so low.

Kinda like how my 7770 scores around 5000 at Max.. but if I bought a 7850 I'd score almost 60% higher  just because the Graphical Memory on the card is over 120% more efficient

The game will def. be playable but you might have to tone down the graphics settings to something like Standard

Ah, that would make sense. I suppose I'll stick with PS3 for now and bum screen caps off my friends. :D

Thank you all for the help!

I'm in essentially the same situation (with a very similar system) and have found ways to tweak the settings to make it better. Fiddle around especially with things that require memory (i.e. the grass and textures) and see if you can get ok results with the computer. From my experience, the PC version at its lowest settings (if at an ok framerate) still looks a hair better than the PS3 one.

Playing on the go? Make sure your battery can handle it! (And make sure that the fan isn't prohibitively loud, haha)