Regarding the marriage thread...

Naunet

Merri, your "private message quota" has apparently been reached (what the flying frak is that? Moderators shouldn't have "pm quotas" and become unreachable by the community), so I honestly have no other way of contacting you. But...

Seriously? You wait until the majority of us are talking about staging a protest, or sending a letter to Squeenix, or whatever and then you lock the thread?

That's just ridiculous. Things were actually settling down.

The majority of us were being friendly. Locking the thread was unnecessary. I presume you'll lock and delete this thread, but honestly, I have no other way of contacting you because of the absolutely silly (and very misguidedly placed) "private message quota".

I tried to send a PM as well. I was going to contact another moderator in such case, but as long as there's this thread, I'll just drop mine in here:

If you were going to lock it, you should've done so before the arguments began. Instead of waiting for them to reach their peak, begin to subside, and then truncating the reconciliation phase in which everyone comes out of it stronger.

With all due respect, of course.

I just want to state that it was nice to see no one actually arguing for Gay marriage being banned forever, but people were just arguing on the best way to get the word out there that Gay marriage should be in the game.

Oh definitely. Despite the frustration expressed in my posts, not having to deal with people telling me and others that we're abominations was refreshing! Kudos to the community for that.

This. So much this. Everytime people start to panic over confrontational threads, people work it out amongst themselves like the adults we are.

we are a large community of 1000+. We are BOUND to disagree on some things. But at the end of the day this community seems to believe in each other, and merely seek the opportunity to understand each other better, painful as that can sometimes be.

+1 Nau and Twin.

I just want to state that it was nice to see no one actually arguing for Gay marriage being banned forever, but people were just arguing on the best way to get the word out there that Gay marriage should be in the game.

Oh definitely. Despite the frustration expressed in my posts, not having to deal with people telling me and others that we're abominations was refreshing! Kudos to the community for that.

You put a cat in a sweater. IN THE MIDDLE OF SUMMER.

You're a monster.

PS: Would have posted sooner, but Naut sniped me with a PM and totally distracted me. It was a clever tactic.

PSS: Oh, what I was going to say - It does seem like bad form to close a thread when 'hostilities' have calmed, and people are coming to a reasonable understanding and openly trying to figure out what would be the best, most acceptable approach.

It sends a bit of a negative, confusing message.

You put a cat in a sweater. IN THE MIDDLE OF SUMMER.

You're a monster.

Why do you think he's so confused! He will wear that sweater if he knows what's good for him.

Coming from a non-sweater fan, that sweater looks quite good on that cat.

We were getting posts reported, and people were getting upset. The thread was locked because of this. There was still passive aggressiveness coming from that thread. You're obviously welcome to reconcile differences, but that thread in particular was locked because people were taking offense to what was being said. Bottom line. We're not trying to stop people from reconciling differences, but it's an incredibly touchy subject. Politics and religion are always incredibly volatile and difficult to deal with.

It wasn't an easy decision, as just outright locking threads never is, but I felt as though there was still some hostility and decided to shut it down for the time being. If you'll note, I did say for the time being, not permanently.

decided to shut it down for the time being. If you'll note, I did say for the time being, not permanently.

This really doesn't make sense. Why lock it temporarily, cutting off a lot of very productive discussion?

Honestly, if you were going to lock the thread, you should have done it four, five, six pages ago, when emotions were at their height (though honestly, I disagree that the discussion got overly aggressive; people were being passionate, not mean) - not on the 19th page where people had, for several pages, been entering into discussions of how to approach Squee regarding the issue.

This really doesn't make sense. Why lock it temporarily, cutting off a lot of very productive discussion?

Honestly, if you were going to lock the thread, you should have done it four, five, six pages ago, when emotions were at their height (though honestly, I disagree that the discussion got overly aggressive; people were being passionate, not mean) - not on the 19th page where people had, for several pages, been entering into discussions of how to approach Squee regarding the issue.

As I said, people were reporting posts and voicing concern, so the thread was locked. We don't often get reported posts, and it's usually only when some one is legitimately upset. We have to take everyone's opinions and concerns into consideration.

I'm sorry this has upset you, and it was not my intention to disrupt the conversation at hand. It also wasn't my intention to offend anyone, rather to prevent anyone else from further being offended. Given the nature of the topic, and a history of dealing with threads and subjects like these popping up, all it takes is one person to say something wrong for it to all unravel once again.

I have no issues at all with unlocking the thread if that is requested, however we will be monitoring it in any case. We want everyone to feel welcome, and unfortunately that some times means going against what some people want. You simply can't please everyone, as much as you might like to. I was able to calm those that were being upset by it, but in return it upset people participating.

There would have been upset people either way.