A Coast in the Desert (Finished)

Desmond stuck the vile into his gauntlet after eyeing it for a moment. 'Might be useful, we don't have a heal-' he didn't finish the thought as he noticed a faint white light coming from the fingertips of the female Miqo'te as she petted her bird. 'Twelve, she's more than she appears.'

He crouched beside her as she finished taking care of some small wound on the chocobo's face. "You can heal," he said softly, more a statement than a question. She turned her face to him after caressing the bird. She nodded once.

'Well, that changes things somewhat,' Desmond weighed the ethics of risking someone's life who hadn't contracted with the Grand Company. Besides, she was exhausted and they had to attack the camp very soon. 

Just then he noticed that S'demyx had picked up on someone coming. His greataxe giving off a whirring noise as he hoisted it onto his shoulder. It looked like the female had no choice, she was involved already.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kayle watched his companions as he finished securing his buckler to his arm.  "Right then, I guess that's settled" he said with a soft smirk.  He immediately directed his attention to the young Miqo'te.  "Sweet girl, stay behind me.  Swiftly, now!"  he said with an urgency in his tone that the party had not heard before.  I'll have her name by the end of this night... 

"If you've the inclination to see tomorrow's sun you'd best stay out of site."  His face was kind, but the words were stern. The desert is no place for a coward; strong men die here like dogs everyday.  Hard men.  The poor kit doesn't even have the means to flee he thought.

He watched as his companions drew their blades and followed suit.  "Nothing moves that fast in the desert twilight without motivation.  Be it friend or foe, we must be cautious."  He squinted in the direction of the tribal's gaze, but saw only a cloud of dust, shimmering and dark in the distance.  "S'demyx, what do you see?" His tone had not changed.

-Rose to her feet, keeping back slightly as her ears tilted forward to listen. Her chocobo had already fled back away from the group as the tiny female Miqo'te seemed to be readying herself. She had grown up in the desert, and knew a bit of fighting herself.

She pulled her pack off and reached in pulling out a long staff, it was decorated with dark green gems. She looked up towards the men before her as she stood with it. She exhaled, more out of focus and seriousness that crossed her face. Her bangs moved from her face a split second and her right eye was a solid silver tone iris vs her aqua left one. Her bangs fell back over her eyes as she nodded in her ready state. She had to prove her worth.-

S'demyx's eyes flicked back over his companions carefully, noting that the young woman had decided to tag along. He rolled his shoulders forward. This wasn't the time nor place to continue his disagreements. If she could prove herself, then by all means. If she died, it wasn't his fault.

His gaze flickered back to the horizon where a small light could be seen. The sky, now a purpleish color from leaving sun making it illuminate brighter than usual. 

He hissed, puffing out his chest, and tightening his grip on his beloved weapon. A light talking could be heard to his Miqo'te ears, causing him to frown. The light disappeared back once more into the distance: signifying whomever it was seemed to be either up for a late stroll, or scouting the area. 

Turning back instantly to face the group and his frown deepened. His eyes passed everyone over before finally landing on Desmond. A growl erupted from his throat as he spoke,

"Are they sentries or scouts, Desmond?! If we linger here any longer we will no longer have the upper hand." He turned to address Delwyn, "I suggest you two do whatever it is you plan to do."

A smirk broke on his lips, "I am eager to spill some blood."

S'demyx, was right.

"Follow me, but not too close." Desmond said to the others before climbing the hill that overlooked the oasis. He pulled his gladius slowly as he went. Reaching the crest, he hid behind a bush and peered through the branches. 

There was a big man approaching, his gait was too casual for a scout and they were too far off for him to be a sentry. There was also the little detail of the massive coeurl loping just ahead of man. Desmond was taken aback.

Just then S'demyx skulked over and crouched beside Desmond. He looked the Miqo'te warrior in his shining eyes, he was grinning, Desmond could hear the tendons stretching in his hands as he gripped his greataxe.

Amaare called out ahead just to make sure himself and Braxas weren't walking into danger, it was a stupid move but he and the Coeurl were hungry and if it turned out to be a scrap in the end he was more than sure he and Braxas could handle themselves, or at least turn tail and make a hasty retreat.

"Hey hey, you all cookin fish? Me and me girl here be hungry, and I'd rightly pay ya for a few pieces if ya got it cause it'd be quite dumb to fish at night, sides, me girl's stomach can be heard a bit too far! I'll stand right here wit er till you all make a decision on the matter"

He then pulls out a small bag of gil and tosses it in front of the Couerl and himself, enough to be far away but enough to be close a nice mid range. He takes a long pull of his pipe as he awaits to see what happens. He holds one of Braxas's tentacles as the still young Couerl was more interested in eating than anything and was ready to get fish in anticipation. He just wanted to do the same and normally would not do something so stupid.....well..yes he would.

With a glance at the other 3 members of the party, Kayle sheathed his blade in a show of faith, and slowly approached the man and his couerl with empty palms.  If he's after more than food we may be in trouble...

"Hail, and well met.  Aye, if it's food you're after, we've some fish and bread down at the water's edge."  Kayle circled right, away from his party, forcing the man's gaze away from them.  It separated himself from the group, but it put the man's back to them should his intentions be misgiving.

"Your gil's no good here as we're here on official business.  You're welcome to the foodstuff's we've left, but I fear we brought little and saved less"  Kayle glanced down at the couerl and smiled "... unless of course that friend of yours is hungry for something else."  

It was a brash decision, and likely one that his partners may disapprove of, but the light was nearly gone from the day, and they were running out of time.  He removed the glove from his right hand and extended it towards the newcomer "Kayle Delwyn, Private First Class of the Immortal Flames" he grinned, attmepting to sway any holstility.  "We're here for a fight, aye, but we've not quarrel with you."

Amaare smiled and nodded he picked up the remaining food the group had and fed it to Braxas. 

"Easy now don't wan no fight wirh you all either, sides ain't much into hurtin non Garleans anyways. No to mention the fight you mention sounds more fun and me and da girl here been needin a good scrap. Count me in. That Gil be my entry fee. Oh yeh Amaare Margolis, Treasure Hunter Extrordinaire and the girl here is Braxas"

He takes another pull of the pipe and smiles.

Desmond wasn't quite sure what he would've done. S'demyx had looked poised to attack. He himself wasn't positive he wasn't in agreement a moment before.

Delwyn on the other hand had exposed himself, walked in front of the big Coeurl and stopped them all from possibly committing an atrocity. The big man, a Highlander by Desmond's guess was friendly enough, despite his roguish appearance.

" -me and da girl here been needin a good scrap. Count me in." the Hyur namd Amaare said.

'Unbelievable,' He thought, shaking his head. 'This Delwyn is favored by the Twelve I wager. How else is he still breathing?' He brushed a dried twig from his shoulder as he came out of the bush and cleared his throat.

"Our business here awaits us over that ridge, friend," Desmond said as he approached, keeping the coeurl within sight. "If you are sincere, we thank you. Keep your gil, There will be enough for everyone if we get through this unharmed."

He looked behind him, S'demyx was coming, along with the healer. "It seems we are five, not counting our feathered or-" he bobbed his head towards the Hyur's cat, "furred friends."

They gathered close. Desmond strapped on his buckler and glanced at Delwyn. The red-hair nodded grimly. He returned the expression and drew his gladius.

'Gift us some of whatever luck you carry, Delwyn.'

-Had resettled herself back on the rock she has sat on before. Her finger packing the staff back into the rather small pack. Magic had it's good uses when it came to storing. She looked up as she re-shoulder the small pack. Glancing past the group she let her eye linger over the horizon admiring the last bit of color fading into the night.

She glanced back though her ears remained towards the group. Her chocobo peered from a brush and walked over to her, her small hand reached up and ruffled his chest feathering in which he walked to stand behind her. Finding unease at Braxas. She kept quite as another joined the group, she rubbed the back of her head thinking what an odd group they where becoming.-

The party stayed low and quiet until they reached the ridge, an amber glow illuminating it's edge from below.  They'd left the two chocobos at the oasis, well within whistling distance should the need for a hasty retreat arise.  

Desmond silently pointed out the previously mentioned sentries as they appeared to be making sweeps along the rim.  The red-eyed man motioned to the one travelling left; Kayle nodded and turned to the female in the group.  

"Keep low, girl, until we've taken these two down," he said in a hushed voice.  "Once it's clear, take to the ridge and you should have a safe vantage point." 

Turning to the male Miqo'te and the Hyur newcomer he reiterated Desmond's plan. "Once the sentries are down you two can draw attention and Desmond and I will flank in.  The further we keep them from the tent, the better."  

He drew in his breath and looked them all over.  "Twelve guide us, Azeyma protect us, and we will see Her Glory rise another day."

[align=center]***[/align]

As silently as his leather armor and the hardened earth would allow, Kayle padded wide right, keeping behind the sentry's line of sight.  He maintained visual contact with Desmond so they could time their attacks as best they could.  When his sentry paused at the end of his path and began to turn, Kayle moved in.

[align=center]It is out of respect that a man hones his art.[/align]

[align=center]Respect for his weapon, and respect for his opponent.[/align]

[align=center]Should you have to strike a foe down,[/align]

[align=center]Strike hard an true, and do not let them suffer,[/align]

[align=center]lest you suffer the wrath of the Twelve.[/align]

The words drifted through his mind as Kayle tightened the grip on the remnants of his father's weapon.  He led his approach with the small targe on his left arm, blade at the ready beside him.  The man he approached, whose name he will never know, would soon be forced to make a choice.  

Kayle stepped in behind him and with a powerful sweeping motion knocked the spear from his left hand.  The man had been supporting his weight on it as he walked, and it took him off balance, forcing him to stumble and turn in shock.  Kayle brought the man's arm to his side and greeted his neck with the edge of his blade.

"Not a sound.  I bear you two gifts tonight.  One is the path behind me.  The other through my steel."  The man struggled briefly, and brought his eyes up to meet Kayle's.  "Leave. Now.  I will spare you one last night through the desert, or by order of the Immortal Flames, I will kill you where you stand."

The man inspected Kayle's youthful frame, and a wicked, thin grin passed across his cracked lips.  "Oh, izzat right, BOY.  You'd best 'ope yer steel's as sharp as yer tongue, ye whelp.  Yer drippin' from behind yer ears, and you 'aven't the stones.."  He pulled backwards and brought his right arm up with a dagger quickly drawn from his belt.

"I fear I may disappoint you," Kayle said as he ducked the small blade and brought his weapon squarely upwards into the man's chest, burying it to the hilt.  Kayle felt his hands begin to warm as the lifeblood spilled out across the barren ground.  Kayle watched the life quickly fade from the man's eyes, the grin extinguished as his eyes rolled and twitched.  Kayle winced as he lowered him to the ground and looked up to see how Desmond had faired...

The large Miqo'te male stood back with the new Hyur male and his pet. His eyes widening anxiously as the first blood was spilt on the soon-to-be battle field by the Delwyn. S'demyx's muscles bunched in his thick arms, flexing and unflexing spontaneously, his grip to his axe couldn't be any tighter.

He glanced over to Amaare, nudging him with his elbow in an excited manner, nodding back towards the two other men. 

"Do you smell that? The fresh lifeblood across the field, isn't it exhilerating?!" He whispered to the man, nearly forgetting himself.

The slits of his pupils thinned considerably, despite it being dark now, and his breathing picked up as well. His large tail swished back and forth quickly as a wide, eager - and bloodthirsty - smile broke onto his face. His row of teeth and fangs displayed.

'Come on Desmond, kill him'...

Desmond watched from afar as Delwyn took care of the first sentry. On his side of the camp, the sentry was slowly making his way towards the spot where Desmond lay hidden. 

Holding his breath, he waited for him to pass by. He emerged from the darkness and putting one hand over the swarthy man's mouth he inserted his gladius into the meaty part of the his lower back. He struggled for a few moments. Desmond held him firm. Then the man relaxed and fell to the floor softly. 

Desmond stared at the body. He took a moment to look at the man's face. His teachers had taught him that every opponent is as much a man as you. No one was unworthy of a tribute, however small. He resolved to pay this man his later. Others would be joining him shortly. 

He looked back towards where S'demyx and the others would be waiting for a signal. He waved his gladius in the air.

As soon as Desmond waved their way, S'demyx stood from his crouched position and sprinted over to them as quietly as possible. His grin never faded as he cast his eyes between the two Hyurs.

"Watch as I paint the field red!" He all but yelled, letting out a ferocious roar, like that of a lion, before charging down towards the bandit's camp. 

The sound of men rustling from their tents and bedrolls were tuned out to the barbaric man. Blood pumping in his ears, everything was silent to him but the whir of his axe as a bandit groggily rose from his tent; weapon in hand to seek out the commotion. 

S'demyx didn't give him a moment's chance, immediately raising his axe high above his head. The outlaw turned around, eyes widened in surprise. He moved to lift his sword up, but it was too late. The axe cleaved through the junction where his neck met his shoulder, splitting the bone and muscles half way down his chest. 

The Miqo'te pulled his hefty weapon back, a sickening crunch of bone and tendons could be heard as he did. The man dropped to the floor, blood squirting onto the sand. His tent mate came next and was, unfortunately due to his sleepy haze, quickly next to die. A powerful swing of an axe, and his head went rolling to the ground with a stomach-turning squelch

Blood squirted onto S'demyx's face, though he cared not. He turned, quickly moving to take out as many bandits as he could before they swarmed upon him; awoken and ready to fight.

Attention was indeed upon him, giving his allies time to quickly join the battle and give the bandits a deadly surprise before they overwhelmed the tribal male.

-Moved silently, never making a sound as she watched from above. She did not seemed grimaced by the scene below. But a small tug of pity. She actually hesitated on casting spell as she circled the camp moving away from the ridge, since well... A flare of light wasn't the best cover. 

She rested on her left knee crouched down as she singled out the already uproaring male. Her thin fingers released a spell then just as an axe was being swung down from behind but made an odd warped clang as it hit a dome that temporary surrounded S'demyx. 

Then something caught the corner of her eye, just below the ridge. A flicker of flame baring out of what looked like a mage. She darted towards it, already gathering the spell in her mind. But with the rush she couldn't focus and dim down the light it would create. The spiral of light slammed into the mage silencing them for the time being. Hopefully they lacked Echo Drops. 

But she dropped down again, skirting the camp keeping a careful eye out for the others with occasional spells. Trying to keep on the move if any where to circle up towards her.-

S'demyx tore through the first two bandits like parchment. Desmond had to respect the amount of carnage one Miqo'te could make.

He trotted into the camp, orienting himself to the nearest tent. Just as he neared the tent flaps two men came bursting out. The closest man swinging a hand-axe overhead directly at his face. Desmond batted the axe away with his buckler and stuck his gladius in the man's throat. He kicked the dying man off his weapon with a boot to the stomach and went after the second man.

The remaining enemy was more judicious, taking the time it took Desmond to kill the first to square himself. He was holding a spear. He stabbed it forward, Desmond dodged right. Again he stabbed, this time it was a dodge left. The man tried once more, expecting a dodge but Desmond parried left, grabbed the spear by the shaft as he dropped his buckler and rammed his gladius into his chest. Desmond let him slide off as his legs went out from under him.

By his count, half of the enemy should be dead.

Amaare grinned at the Miqo'te as he became engaged in the fight. Pulling out his bow and arrow he took some shots at the bandits on the field. The sound of the ballistae piercing the air and hitting in several select spots made the large man smile. While he was far better with his hands in a fight he did alright with a bow.

Thiwp! Thwip!

The sounds of bandits getting hit in the knees, hands and necks as they appeared filled the air. He let out a few clicks with his tongue to make sure Braxas stayed next to him.

"Not yet girl, we do this smart, sides we are the guests, don't need to be scarin our new friends with what we can do to these -Twip! "Augh!"- Bandits."

"Sides, the cat look like he be enough crazy for both of us."

Kayle watched as his companions rushed the field.  The shimmering edge of the tribal's axe kept his enemies just outside arm's reach as he cleaved his foes asunder.  Amaare and his couerl attacked in unison, maintaining dominance over a large section of the encampment with a mixture or ranged attacks and bestial savagery.  Desmond took to the men will little bravado, dropping the men with skill and precision before they even knew their enemy.  Even the girl had managed to drop spells of protection and silence a mage without drawing too much attention to herself, but he was not out of the fight. 

He raised his sword and raced into the flank as he watched the young Miqo'te female race for cover.  The mage's eyes followed her every move as he anticipated the stun's effects to wear off.  Not sure if he could make it in time, he spun quickly and with a shout loosed his targe at the rogue wielder.  "Oi, o'er here!" he shouted as the shield caught the mage squarely in the chest, doubling him over.  By the time he rose it was already too late.  

Kayle closed the distance between them and was airborne.  Grasping at the pommel, his let the blade lead his path and sank it deep into the mage's chest as they collided.  The mage sank to the ground, broken, and Kayle tumbled away.  As he ran for the next bandit, he scooped his shield back up to it's place on his left arm. 

This one seemed at least visually more prepared than the last as it drew it's heavy axe up in anticipation of Kayle's strike.  Their blades met and sounded off, again and again in a singing dance of steel.  Kayle's shield was of little use here as the sheer force of the axe might've broken his arm.  Kayle dodged when he could and parried when necessary.  I must tire him quickly he thought as the axe made another sweep.  

Suddenly, the large bandit rushed shoulder first into Kayle, forcing him back.  The pommel of the axe came jabbing in and caught him squarely between his eyes sending a searing pain into the back of his skull and blurred his vision.  Kayle's eyes flashed as he instinctively lept backwards.  The axe came again and made a wide arc intended to cut him in two.  Kayle wasn't able to escape it's wrath entirely, and felt it's edge trace a line from his left hip to his right lower ribs.  He let out a cry of pain, but would not afford the man another.

The next swing came quickly, but the pain kept Kayle alert.  He side-stepped and allowed the axe to crash into the ground.  As it did, he took a fast swipe at the exposed arm of the bandit, severing tendon and muscle from bone.  The bandit roared and attempted to drag the heavy weapon across to Kayle with his remaining good arm, but the action opened his torso's guard.  

Kayle came in low, his blade entering just above the man's belt.  He quickly withdrew the sword, kicked at the man's grasping arm, and made a wide slash, opening the man's throat and spraying crimson rain into the desert air.

He grinned with pleasure as his axe tore through more people. Thankful for the rain of arrows and magical protection the young woman and Amaare provided. However, he turned round at the sound of a teammate's cry only to see two of the remaining bandits rushing towards him. One held a spear, the other an axe.

The barbaric male let out a blood curdling battle cry, swinging his axe horizontally and letting it fly the same time the spear flew through the air. The bandit's weapon whizzed past him near the face, sufficiently nicking him across the cheek as his great axe flew towards it's target.

It sunk deep within the axe-toting outlaw's chest, causing him to fall backwards from the sheer velocity with a thunk.

S'demyx took the moment to rush forward to the now weaponless enemy and pounced, sinking his sharpened fangs within his jugular, sending both men tumbling to the sand. He reared his head back sharply, pulling out thick tendons and Adams apple whole.

He spat the flesh out to the side, his eyes flashing in a bloodthirsty manner to decipher whom was left of the bandits. Ready to spill more blood yet.

All around him the camp was in disarray. The bandits were all defeated or worse.

'Thank the twelve, it looks like we've done it.' He thought to himself as he wiped the blood off his gladius.

The few men who were still alive were being harassed by Amaare from a distance while S'demyx made his bloody way towards them. Even the mage had managed to get involved, saving the life of the cat warrior with a well timed protection spell. Although the male would never admit it. 

Desmond released a breath he was aware he was holding. This was the first time he had coordinated an attack and by the Twelve's guidance, he had been successful and no one was lost.

He started making his way to the central tent. He surmised it was the tent of the leader, who was off somewhere, oblivious of his homelessness. He smiled as the sense of accomplishment hit.

He was still smiling when he opened the tent flap and a gargantuan great-axe cut through the air directly at him. His smile melted away. In a desperate attempt to defend he ducked and brought up his buckler.

'CLANG!'

He couldn't feel his arm. It hung limp at his side. He was sprawled in the dirt.

"Come to my place, will you? I'll show you hospitality." A huge Roegaedyn stalked out of the tent, a wicked looking axe in his hand. 

Desmond struggled to get to his hands and knees. Fingers frantically searched in his gauntlet for the vile of healing potion S'demyx had given him. He found tiny bits of glass and dampness instead. It had been broken with the impact of the giant's blow.

"I may be dead, boy. But so are you." He said. Taking the final step and raising his axe over his head.

Scrabbling in the dirt he looked for his gladius. It was nowhere to be found.

Looking up at the giant, he realized that even if he did have his sword, it wouldn't matter.

A sense of acceptance washed over him. He would die here.

'It had gone so well.' he thought and bowed his head...

As Kayle rushed to meet Desmond at the central tent, his blood ran cold as the tent flap opened and the axe came crashing down.  Desmond came to his knees and the Roegadyn raised his weapon once again.  With a vigor he had not previously known, he sprinted the remaining few yalms with his arms outstretched.  

"NO!"

Kayle's scream sent a small shockwave of blinding amber light around him, illuminating the opening of the tent and blinding the large Roegadyn.  He crashed into Desmond and they both tumbled to the side.  "Find the girl, I'll draw his attention!"  He side stepped back into the ground outside the tent as the Sea Wolf came charging out, eyes red with anger.  Kayle brought his small blade up to meet the large axe and sparks flew around them.  Another swing knocked the weapon loose from his grasp and the beast in front of him continued the assault.  Kayle put both hands behind his small targe to support himself against the weight of the man's weapon, but he wasn't sure how long he could hold.  His arms were burning and weak from the rampage, and his legs began to buckle under the the weight of the blows.  Just a little longer he thought, just until they're safe...

-Was circling back down from the ridge when the light emitted from Kayle. She covered her eyes and shook her head seeing him running. Her ears tilted forward as their were just out of reach to cast any spells. She felt an odd ting as she darted forward, was this what it was to worry about others well being. 

Her ears fell back as she leaped over bodies and ran towards Desmond and Kayle. She moved swiftly between fallen tents and over dead fire pits. She stopped to Desmond first knowing his arm could possibly been broken from the hit. Her breath pulled at her chest as she looked him over, her fingers touching his upper arm and light spiraled down along it. Her right eye glinted as she cast the minor healing spell.

"Hurry, it'll only hold for the moment. I'll have to patch it up better later."

She spook swiftly as she looked up at Kayle, remembering he had taken a hit earlier. She felt the drain on herself from loss of mana. Even though minor the spell for Desmond was great toll, there was no way she could pull of any large spell. And with the loss of breath didn't help either. She hoped the spell on Desmond would allow some hold on it for minor use without harming himself further. She would help him to his feet, before turning towards Kayle and the large Roegadyn.

It was the last of her mana energy, she focused and the light around her glimmered, she thrusted her hand out before her the light spilling from her fingers and vanishing. Then reappearing right before Kayle, sinking into his chest. He'd fell a bit more energized and the pain from his wound would have ceased and partial healed. She nearly crumpled but forced herself to stay standing. She'd follow Desmond lead after the spell. She closed her right eye sharply covering it with her hand.-

As his eyes closed, he was knocked sideways, the numbness in his arm was replaced with blinding, white pain that made him gasp between his gritted teeth. Once he was able to focus his eyes he saw a smaller figure standing before the Roegaedyn.

"Delwyn?" he croaked. He tried to rise but his arm reminded him immediately of his condition. Looking down, he concentrated on flexing his fingers but they wouldn't move. He was sure it was broken.

He struggled to his knees anyway. If Delwyn would die because of his mistake then he would too.

He felt fingers touch his left arm. It sent pain washing over him again but only for a moment before warmth sprouted from the spot of the injury. It was the female Miqo'te. Desmond looked at her face, she was saying words under her breath and her eye was glowing like before. The pain was still there but it wasn't incapacitating now. He could feel his fingers again. 

'Thank the Tweve she wandered into our company.'

Then she looked up towards Delwyn. her eye shined brighter and her outstretched hand lit up with the same energy. The beleagered looking Delwyn's chest glowed white for a moment. He seemed to straighten a little bit but it was still a one sided fight. He had no sword and only his targe to fend off the giant. 

He had to help. He weapon was nowhere to be found. he looked around for something to use.

"Desmond!" He cried out, he wiped his mouth, smearing blood across his face as he stood. He stumbled up, quickly running towards his weapon in the corpse aside him.

With several hard tugs he managed to free his weapon. Though he was sure if he ran towards them to use against the giant, he'd be too late. With quick thinking, he once more flung his axe towards the Hyur, and it spun in the air towards him.

'Azeyma don't let it hit him!'.

The axe sufficiently landed a few feet to the left of the red-eyed man. "Hurry!" He shouted, moving with haste to grab the spear that laid several yards behind him. Praying to Azeyma all the while that they would survive.

S'demyx' axe flipped end over end and landed in the dirt a few feet away. Desmond flexed his hands. The left was still weak. No matter, he would use it one handed. He picked it up ran strode over to help.

Delwyn's targe was coming apart. He could see it was in two pieces already as the axe went up and over the Roegaedyn's head. Desmond flanked the giant as just as the enemy raised the axe to it's maximum height, he swung his own axe horizontally with all the strength he could manage with one arm.

"Eeyaaargh!" he cried as he brought the ax around and planted it it the Roegaedyn's side. 

The Bandit dropped his axe. It clattered to the dirt behind him. Putting one hand on the axe coming out of his midsection, he turned to face his attacker. Desmond let go of the handle and stared up at the him.

There was a moment of stillness before the Roegaedyn put his hands around Desmond's throat, picking him up, clear off the ground.