A Coast in the Desert (Finished)

-Thwip!-

Amaare let loose with one of his arrows right into the head of the assailant who was lifting the man he was now allies with off the ground.

Looking at Braxas with a wry grin a puff of his pipe and a smile he says to the Couerl

"You know I forgot his name already -Thwip-...crap. Hope he don get too mad at us ey girlie? -Thwip- .Not pretty enough to remember his name, yeah that's my e -Thwip- xcuse."

He proceeded to take another shot and hit the man right in the rear and took a few more shots to hit other bandits in various places. The face, eye, oh look that one he hit.....yeah the screams alone would make it apparent.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kayle saw the highlander's arrows connect and took the opportunity to move it.  Using the last of his strength, he slammed the remains of his shield against the Roegadyn's skull, causing him to stumble and lose his grip on the struggling Desmond.  Collapsing in from of the large thug, he turns and screams to the tribal "Here's our chance, S'Demyx!  Take him down!"

With the long spear now in hand, he faced the now staggered Roegadyn. He flipped the long weapon and held it fist forward, running with as much speed as he could gather within his powerful Miqo'te legs. 

At Delwyn's command, he urged himself as close a proximity as he possibly could within reason to use his weapon. He wasn't used to wielding such a tool, but he could recall well enough how to use it when necessary - and now was indeed necessary.

He stepped on a fallen corpse to give him levy, and used the remainder of his stamina to leap forward. He place both hands on the javelin and, with all his might, sent the sharp end of it piercing into the giant's neck. Right into the soft spot where his collarbones connected. 

His grip was tight upon the spear as they both toppled hard into the sand, S'demyx standing atop his stomach and hunched over. Still holding onto the weapon with all his might, digging it forward yet into the enemy's throat.

A gurgling sound was heard as the Roegadyn attempted to breath in for air, his lungs flooding with blood. The metallic lifeforce spraying across everyone near enough. It's hands reached forward, attempting to grasp for the barbarian, before slowly relaxing and falling back to either sides of his head. Fingers twitched every moment or so, but no other movements were made.

S'demyx panted heavily, sweat pouring from his brow as he allowed himself to release his hard grip. He stood, still trying to catch his breath, and glanced between all his teammates.

"Did... did we... *pant* did we do it?" 

Finally his eyes fell to Desmond, and a flash of worry crossed his face. He hid it instantly, but still feared the worst for his comrade. "Female! Tend to him!" He commanded, still exhausted himself before glancing up at Delwyn, a look of uncertainty on his face.

-She felt useless against in the fight so weak from all the spells, then it hit her. She had that nasty ether. She pulled out the bright yellow vile and chuged the contents down, it made her tail spazz out and the fur prickled along it as she made a disgusted face. She tossed the vile aside as she felt the liquid course through her veins, but she gasped seeing Desmond lifted to his neck. As soon as he hit the ground she dashed over to him.

"Sir? C-can you hear me?"

She noted that only knew a few of their named from other introductions. Never personally. Swiftly her face lowering to his chest as her right ear lifted to listen for his breath and heart beat. Her cheek rested very lightly on his chest. Her eyes looked up inspecting his neck. She would listen closely, ready to act if he wasn't breathing. Hoping his neck wasn't to harmed in the fight. She couldn't heal if she didn't know what was wrong, her feared any pain relief spell would only effect his breathing further so she had to wait.-

[align=center]

***[/align]

It was morning, the sun was coming in through the shear curtains, the wind pushing them about lazily. The bed was soft but there were no sheets. During the summer it seldom got so cold at night that sheets were necessary at all.

Without opening his eyes, he knew where he was, the feel of the pillow underneath his head, the mellow aroma of teas mixing with the smokiness of burning wood in the kitchen. He could hear the servants going about the business of getting the house in order for another day.

He would get up and venture down the hall, across the courtyard to his mother's room. There he would find her, weaving while she sang under her breath or still in bed herself. If it was the latter, he would jump in bed with her and she would hold him and call him my little prince

Everything was right.

Desmond wanted to keep his eyes closed. Everything was right just as it was, right at this moment. There was no need to open them. 

But somebody was shaking him, their hands had him by both shoulders and they were insistent.

He fought them. He fought the urge to open his eyes. To wake up. He didn't need to open his eyes, everything was alright as it was.

'No' 

They kept shaking him and they were calling his name. Why did they know his name? They shouldn't know that. It made things hard.

He couldn't feel his pillow anymore or smell the tea. He wasn't in his room. He wasn't going to see his mother. That was over and this wasn't real.

[align=center]***[/align]

His head swam as he opened his eyes, bitter reality coming back. Under him was hard-packed earth. The smell of death and things burning filled his nostrils. His arm ached dully below the elbow. 

Above him faces hovered, looking at him.

"What... did we.. were we successful?"

Kayle extended his good arm, greeting his groggy comrade.  "That's one way to put it, aye" he said with a pained grin.  "Take it easy a moment, let her mend those wounds.  And take this.." He handed the thin vial the tribal had given him prior to the encounter.  "At the moment, I think you've need of this more'n I."

As the female Miqo'te knelt beside Desmond, Kayle turned to S'demyx with approval and put his hand on his shoulder  "A strong victory for you today, for all of us.  Your tribe would be proud, and I should not forget your names."  The massive highlander approached with his couerl astride next to him, and both appeared to be grinning.  "I think you've earned that meal now, friend" he said, and gave him a nod.

Holding his left arm, Kayle retreated a few paces to inspect the field around them.  After a brief survey of the immediate area he spotted his discarded blade and reverently retrieved it from the ground, placing it delicately back into it's scabbard.

"Tis unfortunate to 'ave met under such circumstances, but I am thankful all the same.  Whether it be merriment or mayhem that bring folk together, I welcome the company."  Glancing north, he takes a moment to reflect.  

"I've not been 'ere long, but I intend to stay for the sake of my family, for Ul'Dah, and for the realm.  Knowing that there are men and women like you gives me strength; it gives me courage to carry on.  We were strangers but a few bells ago, and yet here we are, a collection of wanderers, warriors, healers.  Looking for purpose, for acceptance, for a home."  

He chuckled to himself and looked back at the group.  "We gather like driftwood, but I've yet to see a coast in the desert."

"That meal sounds damn good, like that thing about wood and all that too"

Amaare stroked Braxa's head as she leaned into him, she was a little fussy for not being able to participate in the fight but he knew that she would make far too much noise, not to mention Couerls can and will at times be quite vicious. He didn't want her to scare his new friends.

Amaare took another pull of his pipe after putting up his bow and arrows.

"Yeah I like this, good thing I slept out here last night. Who would've known that a night of gambling and cheating and having to sleep out here would've resulted in this"

He snickered for a moment realizing that he was talking out loud

"Hehehe....ignore the cheating part..you didn't hear that. Hmm cheating? Who said that?" He quickly turned his face with a grin and a pull of his pipe.

He stayed long enough to make sure Desmond made it back to the land of the living. 

S'demyx nodded, and for once gave a genuine smile - and not of bloodlust - to Delwyn at his comment. He extended his arm as well, grasping his shoulder and squeezing in a display of comradery. He glanced everyone over, nodding at each one, the female, then Amaare. Then finally Desmond.

He spoke up to the man once catching his eyes, "Heal well, fearless leader." At that, he immediately turned to the fallen Roegadyn. He yanked his axe from the corpse and sheathed it upon his back harness. 

Without a second glance back, the Miqo'te male walked off to back wherever it was his tribe hailed in the distance, to tell them of the glory he had won in the desert that day with his allies.

Delwyn's final sentence rang clear in his ears, and he smirked as he paced away.

Truer words had never been spoken.

-Raised her head as she set to work carefully mending his arm as she had to realign it. Her tail swayed behind her along the ground as she progressed in thoughts of lingering magic to heal his arm. It didn't take to terribly long, her arm wiped her brow as she sat back on her knees and gestured over Desmond's arm,

"How is it now?"

She looked up behind her at the others glancing them over for anything else she may have needed to tend to. Her ears tilted back slightly as she seemed a bit more at ease, showing both of her eyes freely from under her bangs.-

"Everyone else okay?"

A large figure trudged through the desert, a smaller form perched on it's shoulder.  They didn't seem to have any particular destination in mind, their pace slow but steady.

The small figure, a lalafell, held a piece of parchment in her hands.  "Hmm ... it should have been around here!  But this all looks the same!"

The roegadyn grunted, continuing to walk.  Both figures were female, the taller in the garb of a marauder, the smaller dressed in cloth.  At first glance one wouldn't think they were adventurers, let alone fighters.

"Try over there, left left!  I think I see something!"

The roegadyn sighed, turning in the direction her ward pointed.  Coming over a small hill, she stopped, dropping to one knee quickly, the lalafell tumbling to the ground.

"H-hey!  What was that for?"

"Look"  the roegadyn pointed to the carnage visible.  The bandit camp they were tasked to find and scout was in disarray.  She could smell the blood and destruction on the wind as it carried to her nostrils.

"Huh?"  The lalafell squinted and made a face a moment afterwards.  "Ew.  Goodness what a mess!"  She tugged on her companion's sash.  "Wait, there there!  I see movement!"

The roegadyn turned her gaze to the small group of figures.  They seemed battle worn and one looked injured, laying upon the ground.  Unsure if they were bandits or not, the two stayed their place, watching.

Reality took complete hold. He blinked to clear his sight at he sat up.

The Twelve-sent healer was taking care of his arm. His throat was sore but he would keep that to himself.

He nodded to S'demyx as he took his leave, not bothering to wipe the blood from his axe before securing it to his back. The Highlander was enjoying his pipe. Whatever he was smoking was pungent enough to be noticeable over the sputtering fires around the wrecked camp. Delwyn was looking at him him, smiling.

He returned the smile, nodding once. Then he noticed Delwyn was favoring his left arm and he remembered how close they came to death.

Desmond had forgotten the himself and let down his guard before the camp was secure. If not for fate bringing them the healer and Amaare, the three of them would've died, the camp would still stand and only the Twelve knew how many Flames would've given their lives for nothing. He had been careless. 

"I'm sorry," he said, shame bowing his shoulders.

Kayle dropped to a knee and rested a reassuring hand on Desmond's shoulder.  "We've no need of an apology, Desmond Aryll.  Were it not for your strategy and courage, Twelve knows what further havoc these men would've caused the realm.  Here we are, bent and battered, and still we breathe."  He motioned to the rest of the group.  "We all knew the danger in coming here, and it is no burden for one man's shoulders.  What pain or victory we've seen here we've seen together.  Look.  Look and see what the few can accomplish."

Kayle stood and gazed again at the encampment.  A silence fell over the small band as they surveyed the ground around them.  A dozen or more lay dead in the cold desert night.  "These men... these... fiends, were cowards.  Preying on the weak for personal gain, and to what end?  They fought hard, aye, but there is no honor amongst their ilk.  Today we delivered justice, and true justice knows no remorse. I'm just glad you're alright."

"They don't look like bandits.  Let's go help them!"

The lalafell jumped to her feet and waved an arm.  "Let's go Carbuncle!"  A small shimmer appeared in the air as a rodent-like creature formed out of nowhere.  The lalafell jumped on its back and skittered down the sandy hill.

"Fool."  The roegadyn frowned, but got up, sliding and falling down the hill, kicking up large waves of sand in her wake.  All the while, she kept her eyes on the people as well as her ward.

If anyone of the party was looking beyond the destroyed camp, the vision before them would probabaly cause any to wonder what they drank last.  The lalafell bounced around on the back of Carbuncle, waving frantically yet in a cheery voice.  "Hello hello!  Fear not!  We have come to assist!" her bodyguard right behind her, long strides keeping up easily.

-Nodded in agreement, letting a faint smile break the near emotionless mask she bore. She glanced at the joining of the Archer and his beast then the leave of the other Miqo'te. Her ears twitched listening to the conversations.

She raised her oddity irises up at Kayle's chest raising her hand to finish the gash he had received. Her usual silence finding her throat, as her fingertips glowed at Kayle's chest. But her concentration was broken before she could even start with the chatter. Her ears turned towards the sounds and greeting before her head did. She titled her head slightly, that was quite friendly. She blinked unsure how to respond. She raised a hand above her head and waved in return. Her bangs hiding her silvery iris under her bangs of her right eye.-

Desmond saw the sincerity in what Delwyn's words. This stranger was glad he was alright. It had been a long time since anyone cared for his well-being. He found that he missed that feeling greatly.

Desmond had taken the job for the gil. But he had an inkling that this Delwyn would've done it simply because it was the right thing to do. Amaare might be dead right now if not for Delwyn stepping in. The healer might have left as well, leaving them all worse off. There was no way to stop Nymeia's influence, he was foolish to think anyone could.

"You are wrong in one thing, Delwyn," he said as he was helped to his feet, "there is a coast here. The coast is fate and we are all catch ashore when we need it." 

He noticed the healer was looking off, her ears pointed outward. He followed her gaze and saw the Roegaedyn coming and something approaching closer still. It was a Lalafel riding a Carbuncle.

"It seems we have a couple more pieces washing ashore as we speak." He remarked.

Carbuncle and rider slowed to a halt near the small group, the lalafell smiling and waving her hands.  "Hello and greetings!  You do not look like bandits, so we have come to give our services!"  Hopping to the ground, she walked over to them and looked each one over.  "Hm, you all look quite hungry and need some rest!  I have spare rations and potions. Shall we find ourselves a nicer place than here while my companion finishes what we need to do here?"

She waved to the roegadyn then pointed to the demolished bandit camp.  The taller woman shook her head with a sigh and moved into the camp, stepping over bodies and searching through boxes and barrels.  Her focus, of course, was still on her ward and those near her as the lalafell waited for the group's response.

Amaare smiled and looked over at the new arrival, her presence and announcement made Braxas pick her head up while she was lying on the ground.

Amaare walked over to the Lalafell and asked "So, what do ya got? Hope you got some Marmot steak and mustard eggs cause me girl here didn't leave me much ta eat"

He pulled out the bag of Gil that he had previously ready to pay.

The roegadyn smiled to herself as she found what they came for, a small stack of tied papers and put them in her bags.  Her eyes scanned the area around her for anything else of use, and she grabbed a few unbroken potion vials as well as some scattered gil and materials.

Walking back to her ward, she caught the last bit of the question, and the lalafell smiled broadly, clapping her hands together.

"Well, we might not have such great things as that, but I think we can do better!"  Turning to her bodyguard, the lalafell pointed to a pack on the roegadyn's back, which the other woman slid onto the ground.

"Let's see ...." the lalafell mumbled before pulling out a soft, checkered blanket and laying it on the ground, proceeded to take out different containers of all shapes and sizes.  Each one she carefully placed on the blanket, along with tin plates and cups, forks and knives, and cloth napkins.

"A perfect time to rest and eat!  Bloodwillow will keep watch while we partake in case any more of those nasty brigands come back from ... whatever they were doing."  The lalafell plopped onto the blanket and began to open containers and divvy out the food, which contained fruit, sandwiches, meats and pasta.

Bloodwillow moved to a large rock a few feet away, and perched herself on it.  It gave her a decent view of the surrounding area as well as keeping an eye on the others.

Following Desmond's eyes, Kalye looked up the hill to see their new visitors.  The site of the small Lalafell bounding happily towards them on the back of a Carbuncle took him aback.  He couldn't help himself as a tremendous grin spread across his cracked lips and he let out a bellowing laugh.  The young Miqo'te's touch had brought him much comfort, and he happily stretched his arm with a nod.  "Well done, you.  I'll have Redwind bring your bird, I think it's safe now" he smiled at her.  He pulled a small whistle from his belt and gave 2 sharp trills as he slowly made his way to the newcomers.  

The oddly happy little one began to discuss food and provisions with Amaare while her Roegadyn companion took watch from a nearby perch.  "Hail there, your charity is most welcome here, little one.  I fear you've caught us in a state of recovery.  The desert can be an unforgiving place; I'm glad to see you're not travelling alone."  Turning to the watchful guardian, he acknowledged her and said "I thank the Twelve you came upon us, but I must ask; what brings you this deep into the desert at this hour?"

The site of the happy duo with an offering of food and a picnic here in the middle of all this death and carnage was a reminder that life persists on, and moments like these were worth protecting, even if a bit morbid.

Lucy shook her head, waving a small hand dismissively at the hyur's comment.  "I have been known to show up like an unlucky charm!  And we are more than happy to assist you all."

Bloodwillow turned to face the hyur that spoke, eying him over for a few moments.  She wasn't big on social graces, that was Lucy (her ward's) forte.  Folding her arms, she turned to gaze back over the sands, ever watchful as she spoke.

"Paid client.  Bandits here stole important papers from him."

"Oh yes indeed, the client was quite worried!  Seems those papers have some such secrets in them.  I still say they are just love letters he doesn't want to get out but what do I know?"  Lucy smiles, pouring some clean water into the tin cups and passed them around.

Bloodwillow eyed the man a moment again, turning the half of her face painted a deep blood red towards him.  "Is this your work?"  Bloodwillow motions with her chin towards the destroyed camp.

Kayle drank greedily from the cup as it was handed to him, the water sweet and cool.  "Aye, but rest assured we've not interest in any documents.  He and I were dispatched by the Flames to eliminate this encampment, one way or another," he said, motioning towards Desmond.  "The other's we'd picked up at our camp at the oasis over the ridge, each with motivations of their own.  We were thankful to have them, and I am personally indebted to all of them."

"In the state we're in, it may be best to make camp here tonite and leave come the dawn.  It's a long trek back to Ul'Dah, but if you're headed that way I think we'd all be better for your company, if it please you," he said, visibly put at ease by the presence of their new companions.

-Lightly took the cup and blinked down into it. She was careful, but hence was the life of the desert. She sniffed the contents before lightly taking a drinking savoring the water down her throat. She nodded her head to Lucy and kept her politeness going.

"Thank you."

Her tail coiled around her as she glanced up to Kayle, she thought himself was quite the lucky charm as well, he was so friendly it was amazing he was still alive. She glanced then towards Desmond, her eyes watching he newly healed arm. She was nervous about it hoping he wouldn't re-break it easily.-

The Roegaedyn female, Bloodwillow wasn't participating in the impromptu meal. But the little one Lucy, was so affable that there was no way they could be anything other than what they seemed. From the looks on the others' faces, everyone was ready to put the battle behind them. Desmond found that he felt the same way.

He stepped to the blanket and the obliging lalafel, standing on her toes promptly offered him a tin cup, spilling cool water.

"Thank you, er miss Lucy," he said, hurrying to take the cup. He took a drink while listening to Kayle suggest they stay there for the night.

"Knowing your luck, Delwyn," he interjected dryly, "we would wake to find an airship at the ready to take us back to Ul'Dah."

Silence.

Then Kayle burst out laughing, the others looked around in confusion before joining in. Even the healer tittered into her cup. Desmond didn't laugh out loud but he did smile, noticing his spirits lifting.

Amaare just listened and sat an ate, he broke off pieces of food for Braxas and just smiled having lived another day. "This was fun" the thought to himself. "Not as fun as smashing facemask heads but close" he thought to himself "Not to mention a fine bounty I'm sure, I wonder if these guys are claming these fellows to take in I hope not"

He continued to eat and just listen. Braxas pulled up next to him and enjoyed the scraps and bowl of water he gave her. He looked into the night and smoked his pipe.

"Oh we wouldn't mind at all!  Bloodwillow is rested and more than capable to stop any nasties that surprise us.  And I do know a bit of healing as well if needed."  Lucy plopped down on the blanket and began to munch on her food.  She motioned for the others to partake of what they wished.

"I am sure you all are interested in us both!  Well, introductions shall be made."  The lalafell smiled.  "I am Lucy McStuffin, part time adventurer and full time arcanist! I enjoy exploring and want to see the world.  My goal is to fish every kind of fish there is as well as become a well known craftswoman!"  She points to the rogadyn.  "And that is Bloodwillow.  She has a first name but won't tell me what it is.  But we met not too long ago and she is my bodyguard as we travel Eorzia.  She's the brawn and I'm the brains!"

Bloodwillow just rolled her eyes, as she perched on the rock, seemingly more interested in keeping watch around the group.  "I protect you because you are too ignorant for your own good."  She addresses the hyur nearest her (Kayle) "Lucy thought it smart to pick up items dropped in the middle of a brawl."

"Well they would have been broken if I did not do so!  And did we not get a handsome reward for saving that parcel?"  The lalafell winked, filling the tin cups with more water.