Character Building Q&A

Aveline

I made this originally for TALE but thought it would be fun to see everyone's responses at the RPC. ^_^ The following are some questions intended to get you thinking about how your character would react in different situations. Answer in character!

You invite a friend over to your house for the afternoon. Describe what your friend would see upon entering your home.

During the casual small-talk that ensues, your friend asks you if you have read any good books lately. How do you respond?

Your friend eventually leaves, and you're still bored. Restless, you leave the house and set out for a walk. Describe the neighborhood you live in.

Oh no! An orphan is in trouble! Down the street from where you stand, a small street urchin is being bullied by three larger youths. What do you do about it?

Adventure time! The next day, still restless, you decide that what you need is a good change of pace. How do you pack for your four-day road trip to Ishgard?

Along your journey, you spot some bandits waiting at a bridge across a wide but slow moving river up ahead of you. They haven't seen you yet. You need to cross the bridge to get to where you're going. How do you handle the situation?

You have just arrived for the first time in a new big city. Where do you go first?

For being the 1,000th tourist to the city, you have been given a 6,000 gil voucher to spend as you like at the Ishgard Department Store (think FFXIV version of Macy's). What do you spend it on?

All of that shopping has made you deliriously hungry. What sort of food establishment do you seek out for lunch?

Five months later and safely back at home, you realize the Winter Festival is approaching! What sort of present do you pick out for your mother (or nearest living relative, or closest friend)?

You invite a friend over to your house for the afternoon. Describe what your friend would see upon entering your home.

A small, one-bedroom apartment dwelling in typical Ul'dahn style. Small lanterns and tea candles lend the interior a warm and cozy glow. The furnishings look second-hand but well-kept, and there are clothes everywhere. I would hastily be tossing a plethora of jackets, shirts, and undergarments into my bedroom while shouting for my friend to make themselves at home.

During the casual small-talk that ensues, your friend asks you if you have read any good books lately. How do you respond?

âI picked up an excellent book on exotic cocktails from the Far East the last time I went to the market."

Your friend eventually leaves, and you're still bored. Restless, you leave the house and set out for a walk. Describe the neighborhood you live in.

Not the best, but not a shantytown, either. My apartment is one of twenty in a building along a modest street. There aren't trees and fountains everywhere, but there aren't bums in the gutters or trash piles, so that's nice. A couple blocks from me is the Goblin's Goblet tavern.

Oh no! An orphan is in trouble! Down the street from where you stand, a small street urchin is being bullied by three larger youths. What do you do about it?

An urchin is being bullied? Not in my neighborhood! I run up and give the first one a good whack on the head, then tell the rest of them to get lost before I track down their parents.

Adventure time! The next day, still restless, you decide that what you need is a good change of pace. How do you pack for your four-day road trip to Ishgard?

Just one pack? Okay.. well, I'd carry along a folding scythe in case I encounter any interesting botanicals that look like they'd make a good brew. I'd also bring along a good weapon that's not too heavy, maybe my throwing knives or some spiked knuckles... a few changes of clothes (you did say just one pack right?), a hat, and some sandwiches to eat along the way.

Along your journey, you spot some bandits waiting at a bridge across a wide but slow moving river up ahead of you. They haven't seen you yet. You need to cross the bridge to get to where you're going. How do you handle the situation?

Ohh tricky.. Alright, first I'd jump behind some cover so they don't spot me before I'm ready. Then I'd put some dirt smudges on my face and muss up my hair a bit (but not too much..). Then I'd stow any jewelry I was wearing in my pack and maybe rip my shirt suggestively across the chest. Next, I'd throw a knife at them from the cover of the bushes and try to land it just to the side, so they notice it but no one gets hurt. Then, I'd come running out of the brush crying, begging them to help me across the bridge because there's a local law enforcement group after me and they've got knives. They'll actually help me across the bridge and then run to hide themselves, to avoid trouble from officials.

You have just arrived for the first time in a new big city. Where do you go first?

To the nicest public bathhouse I can afford! Somewhere with fluffy towels and silky oils.

For being the 1,000th tourist to the city, you have been given a 6,000 gil voucher to spend as you like at the Ishgard Department Store (think FFXIV version of Macy's). What do you spend it on?

Maybe a nice, engraved pistol. Or a few locally designed outfits. Or maybe some new earrings. Or maybe...

All of that shopping has made you deliriously hungry. What sort of food establishment do you seek out for lunch?

Someplace light and cheap where I can scope out the local scene. Probably a tavern near the Market District, or a food stall in the center of town.

Five months later and safely back at home, you realize the Winter Festival is approaching! What sort of present do you pick out for your mother (or nearest living relative, or closest friend)?

A nice, new pack of fortune telling cards. The gilded kind that really makes the tourists think you're legit.

You invite a friend over to your house for the afternoon. Describe what your friend would see upon entering your home. I don't see the need for keeping things around that have no use. The walls would be pretty much barren, only with some memorabilia adorning the walls that may or may not be important - you'll never know. There's a large bookshelf in the corner, but it doesn't hold any books. Instead it holds an unorganized amount of papers and notebooks that have been smeared with ink. Don't go look at them.... because I don't want you too. I don't spend a lot of my time here, so there's only basic necessities and I don't house guests longer than one night, usually *Raises an eyebrow*. I spend most of my time on my ship, which has a small cabin that holds a bed and a desk. Really, the only two things I need.

During the casual small-talk that ensues, your friend asks you if you have read any good books lately. How do you respond? I recently read a book on the tactical applications of Archers aboard ship vessels. Very interesting and make me take up the bow.... Did you mean fiction? I don't read fiction... I find people are creatively arrogant about their own lives so I don't need too. Just walking into a bar and watching the flock produces enough entertainment for an evening.

Your friend eventually leaves, and you're still bored. Restless, you leave the house and set out for a walk. Describe the neighborhood you live in. I do not know by neighbors and there is a good chance I do not care. I don't know what kind of neighborhood I live in, I've never checked. It's a neighborhood that doesn't pry into my personal life, that's all I can ask for.

Oh no! An orphan is in trouble! Down the street from where you stand, a small street urchin is being bullied by three larger youths. What do you do about it? Walk over the tell the bullies that picking on someone small and outnumbered does not make them tough, it only makes them idiots. When they have dispersed, give the urchin some gil and tell them that not learning how to fight as an urchin is also idiotic. Oh, a pat on the head for good measure.

Adventure time! The next day, still restless, you decide that what you need is a good change of pace. How do you pack for your four-day road trip to Ishgard? I don't, I'll find what I need along the roads and among the drunken males in bars. *Raises an eyebrow* I know what your thinking, but you'd be amazed how little I care.

Along your journey, you spot some bandits waiting at a bridge across a wide but slow moving river up ahead of you. They haven't seen you yet. You need to cross the bridge to get to where you're going. How do you handle the situation? There are two ways this can go. I can be patient and flirt my way into the group for protection and needed supplies. Or, which is most likely because I am not patient, pretend I'm going to do the former than proceed to steal everything they are worth and even maybe their lives.

You have just arrived for the first time in a new big city. Where do you go first? The docks, if they exist. I find cities not connected to oceans too closed in. No docks, then an Adventurer's Guild for quick excitement, after a bar to observe the locals.

For being the 1,000th tourist to the city, you have been given a 6,000 gil voucher to spend as you like at the Ishgard Department Store (think FFXIV version of Macy's). What do you spend it on? I hand it off to the person nearest me, I don't need it.

All of that shopping has made you deliriously hungry. What sort of food establishment do you seek out for lunch? One that has food... and beer.

Five months later and safely back at home, you realize the Winter Festival is approaching! What sort of present do you pick out for your mother (or nearest living relative, or closest friend)? Presents are a very strange social convention I don't understand, but everyone always tells me that it's something I need to do. I always end up getting people weapons.... I always get funny looks for that...

I kinda hesitate to do this so casually because it's the first thing I'll have really posted about my character in any depth. But I need a break from painting.

Have to pass on that one. My character is more of the woodsy drifter type.

"A book? I have read some manuals. That's right, people also read for entertainment. No, I never have. What should I try?"

Doesn't have a place to live, but hopes to one day.

Just depends on whim. Either ignore them altogether, defend the urchin, or potentially severely wound the bullies... any response would be emotionally detached.

Just another day. Surviving without provisions or tools is standard fare, though they may be acquired if the terrain or journey requires it.

Again, whim. If I don't feel like a potential confrontation, avoid them altogether. Or possibly saunter straight by them and hope they give me a reason to maim or kill them.

Meander aimlessly, most likely.

Only what I need, and save the rest.

Not particularly picky about the food, but preferably someplace quiet and empty.

I'm supposed to give them a gift? Pah. I don't know... flowers? Maybe I just won't bother.

This is a cool idea, thanks for this :D

Renaise: A nicely decorated house with ornate shields hanging on the walls. Lots of red and white coloured furnishings.

Doc: Books, everywhere, upon tables, every inch of floor would likely be covered in open books saved at a specific page or scrolls both folded and unfolded. The rest would be pretty basic.

Ghost Arrow: The rooms would be neatly decorated, if a touch feminine, flowers likely on tables and frilly things about the place.

Renaise: "Oooh, I read a great recipe for cinnamon doughnuts. Want me to whip up a batch?" *grins*

Doc: You wouldn't remember half of it, but it would be a flow of scientific or mystical ideas and theories that Doc is in the process of debunking or making a joke of that is so long winded youd lose the will to live before even hearing the punchline.

Ghost Arrow: No... *shrugs and stares back at you* What?

Your friend eventually leaves, and you're still bored. Restless, you leave the house and set out for a walk. Describe the neighbourhood you live in.

Renaise: An OK area of Limsa Lominsa, the people who live nearby usually smile at Renaise and offer a greeting as he walks by. Renaise stops to chat occasionally to one or two of them.

Doc: Hasn't really got the faintest idea, its in Gridania, that's for sure, and the nearby neighbours are a little suspicious so he has been keeping an eye on them, other than that, couldn't really tell you.

Ghost Arrow: Slightly run down neighbourhood in Ul'dah. Petty crime is a regular occurrence and the streets are slightly dirty, occasionally an odd smell travels through the area which people can't really explain, but assume its likely sewerage or something decomposing somewhere. (I'm so badly going to imagine Ul'Dah as Ank Morpork >.>)

Renaise: Super mega ultra wedgie on the largest of the bullies, then threaten the bully that no matter where he runs, no matter where he hides, Renaise will find him and if he continues to bully each wedgie he receives would be more agonizing than the last.

Doc: Lecture the bullies on the psychological damage that can be caused by tormenting an adolescent this early into his development. After receiving blank looks from the bullies attempt to turn one into a toad...

Ghost Arrow: Duck down a blind alley and pull on his Ghost Arrow costume, then proceed to tell the bullies that the urchin is under Ghost Arrows protection, watch and laugh as bullies look in awe then quickly disperse.

Renaise: Good sturdy armour and shield, possibly a sword, and assortment of snacks and food stuff for the journey. Realises far too late that he hasn't packed any spare underwear.

Doc: Four days to Ishgard? Who would take four days to get to Ishgard? Seriously I have a much quicker way...

Ghost Arrow: Costume, bow, good supply of arrows. Some gil... what else do you need?

Renaise: Attempt to negotiate his way across, if that proves unsuccessful apologise as he is forced to knock each of the bandits into unconsciousness in the ensuing fight.

Doc: If I'm in a hurry, they wouldn't even be aware I was there. There is likely a spell or something for such matters. Don't have the time to deal with idiots...

Ghost Arrow: Wade into the river, and take as many bandits as possible down into the river from the sides of the bridge. Any stragglers get a specially prepared arrow to hold them in place if need be whilst I slip by.

Renaise: See what kinds of new food there is to try here. So likely a pub or culinary guild.

Doc: Depends why I am here, if I have business to attend to I go to deal with that first. If I don't have business I go and see as much of the city as possible, carefully taking mental not of everything I come across.

Ghost Arrow: Restock equipment first, then go see about getting a drink of some kind. Maybe go on patrol a little later.

Renaise: Give it to someone else who looks like they need it.

Doc: Buy an item of clothing that just looks cool.

Ghost Arrow: Arrows... equipment, something useful. Maybe a present for the wife...

Renaise: Ask around, see what place has the best reputation amongst the locals.

Doc: Wherever as long as it smells pleasant.

Ghost Arrow: One that is busy, usually a good sign.

Renaise: Something pretty for my sister... likely unique and colourful.

Doc: ... whatever she wants...

Ghost Arrow: I dunno, whatever I pick its usually wrong anyway. I dunno why she just isn't OK with gil instead of a present... stupid winter festival... I don't care how much she begs, I'm not buying a moogle...

They'd enter to see a old tattered couch sitting in front of a fireplace with a few pillows on it, a small end table with several scattered parchments and maps on it and empty ale mugs. On the floor behind the couch would be a thick comfy throw rug, no bed.

"Well it just so happens I picked up this amazing book, it talks about the latest and greatest bards, specifically the female ones." * wink wink* "Oh um, also I was given this very interesting map... looks like it could lead to something interesting."

The area is a bit run down, with shack like homes thrown together all around and children making due playing with whatever they could find laying around. tattered clothes hanging on lines to dry and the "ladies of the night" standing on corners and in alleyways looking to earn their keep.

Watch for a moment to see just how far the youth's take it before finally intervening, grabbing up the three youths by their collars or hair and tossing them on their rears. Then scolding the urchin for not being able to protect himself/herself and making me waste my time helping them.

Kima would pack his skinning knife, cold weather gear/rain gear (depending on the weather) a few gil just in case and flint to start a fire.

Since they are bandits I would get the jump on them first, taking out as many as possible by surprise and knocking the rest into the river then running across the bridge to get to safety.

The shadiest, most vulgar tavern the city has. That's where you'd find any good information on who to avoid and where to go in the city, and you're more likely to find more easy going women there.

A new tunic and then spend the rest on drinks in the local tavern.

Anyplace that serves fish but isn't too uppity, a place which is kinda dirty but down to earth.

He'd get Laylei some boots with very tall heels to make fun of her being a Lalafell as a gag gift and give her something she could use in her alchemy as a real gift.

Well, first they'd probably notice that it's not a house. It's a ship. See, while we've got a couple safehouses knocking around the only place I really call home is the Flame itself. So we'll go with "upon stepping off the gangplank" instead. In which case, they'd likely see some of the crew taking care of the day to day maintenance of the ship - checking the rigging, things like that. Depending on the time of day you'll probably find ol' WL passed out drunk on the deck somewhere. Heading down the steps below deck you'll find a few side rooms, two of which lead to large bunk areas for the crew to sleep. Should we make the way over to my cabin, you'd see a relatively simple bed large enough for two people. There's a window that looks out over the ocean and next to that there's a chess board with some strangely carved pieces. There's a writing desk too, as well as a "wine" rack filled with bottles of rum. A banner with the emblem of the Phoenix Pirates is hanging over the bed.

Lately I've been spending a lot of time reading through this book I picked up from a troupe of travelling performers. It's all about the art of improvisation, getting locked into a character and coming up with things on the fly. Piracy isn't all about raiding and pillaging...at least, not the way we do it. I'll often run into situations that call for a more...subtle touch and I'm always looking for ways to improve the skills I need. It doesn't help that I find the whole subject fascinating either...can thank Dad for that one.

Well, depending on where we're docked that'll affect what kind of port it is. But for argument's sake, let's say we're docked in the place we most consider home - Limsa Lominsa. Granted, most of you are pretty familiar with it already so I don't need to go into too much detail there. I love the town, more than any of the other large cities we spend time in. There's just something more...real about it, y'know? The people are honest. Well, for pirates and brigands, but you know what I mean. Sure, half of 'em will shank you and steal your shoes soon as look at you...but they're honest about it. You wnid up in a place around a bunch of nobles and business types, you never know what they're really after. Someone talks to you there, you have to constantly watch yourself, make sure you don' slip up and give them some bit of information they're gonna use against you. Here, you know exactly what they're after. Especially if you're wearing nice shoes. The smell of the sea air, the fish being offloaded, the yells of the sailors turning the air as blue as the sea...it's comforting. Well, to me.

Ah, now it might seem a little wierd to you but ol' Cap'n Ty doesn't like to see injustice done. It's just that my sense of injustice might be a little...different than some. Mainly those who want to try and arrest me. But I digress! In this case, I'd casually walk over to them while twirling my favorite gun. This one, ain't she a beauty? But anyway, you' be amazed that the effect an impressive firearm has on the kids. After getting their attention, they might turn on me...especially if we're talking about a back alley in the Limsa port. So I'd whap one of them upside the head with the butt of the gun. That normally shows them I mean business. Most of those kids, they rely on fear to get what they want. Soon as you stand up to them, they run off with their tails between their legs. I'd probably toss the kid a few gil and send him off to grab a bite to eat, subtle-like so they don't realize he's got money now. I'm just that kind. I know, I know...but I can't help it, it's in my nature to be fantastic.

Hmmm...well, let's say for argument's sake I've decided to go on foot as opposed to taking the Flame. You did say a change of pace, after all. First off, there's the obvious sundries - grab the sword, the gun and enough bullets to last. Supplies to maintain both of them as well, naturally. A good supply of bread and cheese - those tend to last out just in case hunting down something to cook doesn't pan out. Of course...you said four days, right? No less than four bottles of rum, then. Other than that, just the basic essentials that anyone travelling should have...flint and kindling to start a fire, a good sharp hunting knife and a few bottles for water. I'll normally have my wood-carving knife with me as well. It's a good way to whittle away a few hours by a campfire. Get it? Whittle away a few hours? Carving wood? No? Ah well.

Depends on what you mean by some, really. Let's say for argument's sake, there's three. I'd load my gun and sneak into range, hopefully without being spotted. Again, to keep things simple let's say I pull that off. I'll fire off three shots and try to kneecap each of 'em. Croix could pull it off much quieter and from a longer distance, but he's a hell of a better shot than I am. So let's say I manage to cap two of them, the third comes at me. I'll have the sword ready and try to take him down as well. Not kill him, just...hurt him a bit. Once he's incapacitated, I'll take any gil I can find from the two I kneecapped and toss them into the river. It's slow, they'll be fine. Then I'll threaten the third with the same treatment unless he shows me where their stash is. Once he does, I'll take that too. Then toss him into the river as well. Don't look at me like that, pirates and bandits are different. Well, my lot are. Bandits like that, they don't discriminate with who they target. They'll happily take the shirt off a poor old man's back without a second thought.

The pub. Not just for the booze either, although that's for sure a major concern. No, the best way to get the feel for a city is to find a busy pub and just talk to people for a bit. You'll learn more that way than any other about what's going on, who to avoid and who can be trusted. Plus, booze.

6,000 gil? Alright, free rum! I'd stock up as much of that as I can reasonably carry - again, assuming the Flame is left back in Limsa. After that, I'd use the rest to repair and replace the gear I used getting there in the first place.

Back to the pub! I love good pub food. It's real cooking, not that fancy crap you get at upscale places where they'll make you pay a few thousand for a sodding apple. No, give me a thick, juicy steak pie with a pint of the house ale.

Mum likes the magical arts a lot, so some sort of talisman she can use in her research, I reckon. For Dad, I'd try and track down some sheet music that I don't think he's found yet. That's getting harder and harder, though...

Eva's home is small and most would describe it as quaint from the outside, but otherwise a typical, middle-class, Gridanian abode. Flowers and shrubs line the front of the house and the stone walkway. The lawn is verdant and clearly very well maintained. Her living room is sparsely furnished, but there are several bookshelves lining all four walls and transforming the modest-looking domicile into a makeshift museum. The scent of cedar wood seems to permeate the air from origins unknown. Three windows adorned with lavender curtains for the summer months allow ample light into the room. Each shelf boasts a significant number of books - many of them which appear quite weathered. They are lined neatly between bookends and the spaces between each grouping of books occupied with various figurines and baubles she's presumably acquired over the years. It is apparent that everything has been placed meticulously and great care given to the exact location and angle at which each item is displayed. A large spinach-hued reading chair with a matching hassock occupies one corner of the living room, a wrought-iron reading lamp perched upon a small table beside it. Even the pair of books resting beside the lamp seemed tilted at deliberate angles - the one on the top titled "Spinning Your Wheels: A Beginner's Guide to Yarn-Making." Five comfortable-looking cushioned seats of a similar shade of green as the reading chair sit equidistant from one another around a circular table of polished wood in the center of the room. A large doorway opens into a kitchen which boasts stone countertops and more polished wood cabinetry. A glimpse into the bedroom reveals the foot of a four-poster bed with a transparent lavender canopy and an armoire made of dark wood. The sounds of a creature rattling about in a cage can also be heard from somewhere out of sight. Everything within the house goes a few steps beyond tidy to the level of 'obsessive-compulsive.'

"Actually, I just picked this one up the other day." She glides across the living room to the reading chair and picks up the book about yarn-making. The larger, leather-bound tome beneath it sports no title and appears to be a journal of some sort. The silver pen now visible beside it would seem to support this. "It details the process of turning raw material into various types of yarn and thread. I haven't quite finished it yet, but I can't wait to try some of these techniques out!"

Most of the homes in the neighborhood are quaint and modest. Children play in some of the yards, and men and women go about their daily upkeep - weeding gardens and trimming hedges. A few of the houses near the end of the road are a bit more unkempt - some possibly vacant - tall grass swaying in the gentle breeze. Enormous trees provide shade for the entire neighborhood, and insects buzz in the midday warmth as the odor of woodsmoke from a nearby cookfire twinges at the nostrils.

Pausing for a moment, Eva wrings her hands nervously as she considers the situation. Realizing she recognizes one of the bullies as her next-door neighbor's son, she marches over to where the transgression is playing out and tries to put on her best mean-looking face (which is actually not very mean-looking at all), setting her knuckles to her hips while looking down her nose at the one boy in particular. "Do I need to have a talk with your father about this?" Without waiting for his response, she addresses the other two bullies, "And don't you two have better things to be doing than antagonizing him?"

After everyone disperses she ensures the target of their raucious behavior isn't hurt in any way, listens to his story about why the others started bullying him, and offers him a small sum of gil to get himself cleaned up.

A small blue rucksack holds most of her personal belongings. For a four-day trip she also packs a shoulder-satchel with a few changes of clothing, a few spindles of thread and several balls of varying colors of yarn for when her current project (in the rucksack) is finished. She also has a couple of books on hand in case she finishes her knitting early. She carries no weapons, and the small pouch of gil which she'll use for room and board for her trip is concealed within one of the garments in her satchel. A separate pouch at her waist containing only a few gil serves as a decoy in case of an emergency (a recommendation her father once gave her), and may also be spent on additional thread or a good book, if needed.

The first step in evading a trap is realizing that one exists. At the sight of the bandits waiting at the bridge, Eva offers up a small prayer of thanks to Nymeia for fating her to see them first. Doubling back for half a malm or so, she continues off the beaten path and eventually finds a spot amongst the cover of brush to change into her swimwear and enjoys this excuse for a cool dip in the river. She decides to tell the first authorities she comes across about the bandits and caution any others who happen to be traveling in the opposite direction.

Realizing she's grown hungry after the journey, Eva debates stepping into the first eatery she comes upon. Eventually dismissing this idea, she decides to start off in the marketplace and see what sort of clothing the people in this new city find fashionable. After all, if she's to eventually become an acclaimed weaver, she'll need to learn to stay atop of the current trends. She resolves to eat a modest meal after she's worked up more of an appetite, and perhaps after getting a recommendation from one of the locals.

Offering another quick prayer of thanksgiving to Nymeia for this gift, she explores the various clothing and accessory items available for purchase. Most of the garments in her wardrobe are a few sizes to large for her, and she's always lacked either the time or the gil to replace them. This opportunity grants her a chance to pick out something that would fit her properly. Spotting a periwinkle-colored satin dress which fell at just around half of the voucher's worth, she grabbed it eagerly and went to a fitting room. After trying it on and being pleased with her appearance in the snug formalwear, she decided against getting the matching shoes. She requested that the difference be put to a separate voucher, and gingerly placed that one in the cup of a beggar woman she had spotted on her way in.

Being mindful of her diet, she listened to a few of the locals' recommendations and decided to try a seafood restaurant they had spoken about. She always enjoyed flame-grilled fish with some rice, vegetables, and a nice bit of fruit or berries for dessert.

Deciding that the best gift for her father - a man whose failing mind sometimes prohibited him from remembering certain details about things - would be something he could keep to remind him of her. Having found an artist to paint a portrait of her wearing the new blue dress, she now purchases a simple but elegant wooden frame and will offer the portrait of herself to her father for the holidays.

I'm going to go a different route and just slap down the basics, because I doubt anyone really wants to read through a big honkin' post of mine. xD

-Maps. Lots of maps. Hung all over the place, covering the tables. Odd trinkets. Nautical equipment. Lots of rope. Barrels and crates in the corners, as well as being used as furniture. A faint smell of tobacco would linger in the air.

-"When is the last time ya saw me readin' a book?" ...Followed by a whap upside the head and a toothy grin.

-Near the lower docks of Limsa-lominsa. Not exactly a seedy area, but by no means luxurious. There's always a faint smell of fish in the air. A lot of his fellow deckhands would live in the area.

-Scare the little wankers away with a bit of sailor grit and muscle.

-A canteen, his sword, his knife, his flintlocks, maps, and a rope. (Always can find a good use for some rope.)

-Show them just how an experienced Limsan deckhand fights. A couple of lowlife bandits who most likely don't even have their sea legs? Rain would enjoy showing them a thing or two.

-The nearest tavern, of course. Where else?

-Something nifty for his sister. And maybe some more rope.

-Something cheap. If he would really be up to it, he'd go on a bit of a hunt outside the city limits for something to eat. Beats paying money he doesn't have.

-Whatever it was he picked up for his sister earlier in the year.

Even though my father may have cut me off from the family funds, he thankfully did not leave me out in the cold. He purchased this lovely Ul'dah apartment for me; he may be harsh but he is not cold-hearted. I cant quite remember what the original carpeting looked like, but now it is covered in stains from my philters and other alchemical failures. There are bookshelves filling each of the four walls, with exception to my sleeping and work area of course. Books litter the ground, I often wonder if I wasted money on purchasing those bookshelves because I only use them when I clean up after the books block my entrance.

I would respond with a haughty laugh and ask if he did not see the books littering the ground. I cant seem to find a book I do NOT find good. Though I did recently read a book about the Thaumatergy Guild and their history. It was quite horrifying and intriguing.

Considering that my father purchased this apartment the neighborhood is in the upperclass district of Ul'dah. I do not quite enjoy it here as the homes are too lavishly decorated and the people are snobbish and stuck up. It is peaceful though, as this district is more heavily guarded than the others.

Perhaps set the little hooligan's pants on fire with a quick fire spell then douse them with a water spell to send them on their way. I try to comfort the poor boy and then perhaps give him a few gil to get a bite to eat later on.

Oh fun, I do enjoy a good adventure. I would bring along my Ambelic just in case I scavenge some good ingredients for some tinctures. A radical and sword to defend myself and a few good books to pass the time if I find the time and of course a few gil.

Well, I probably wouldnt have expected it to be a trap. Though I suppose once caught theres not much to do but defend oneself. I was very good at the fencing lessons my father gave me, so I would brandish my sword and attempt to take out the bandits. If swordplay proved ineffective in taking them all out, I would try to escape by jumping off the bridge and creating a path of ice with my Conjury while setting the bridge aflame as I fled to prevent pursuit!

Check to see if they have a library, or perhaps an Alchemy guild. Perhaps stopping at a tavern for a drink and a bite to eat.

Why books of course! Perhaps a new pair of spectacles if there is any gil left over.

Wherever they sell meat would be just fine by me!

Well, I know my mother would not appreciate any type of clothing as she deals with that every day. My father provides more than enough jewelry for her, even though she does not wear much. I think she would enjoy a nice fragrance perhaps. She is a difficult one to shop for, that women!

Well, you see, I don't actually *have* a home at the moment...

"Oh, have you read Irving's Circles within Circles? He postulates that there's actually a reverse flow among the primary elements that causes an equal and opposite amount of thaum-- your eyes are glazing over, aren't they?"

Being homeless, I live in the worst part of town, with the rest of the people who have nowhere else to go. Big shipping crates have been crammed into back alleys and turned into "houses". Occasionally you'll see the city guard, but they're not there to protect anyone but themselves... usually just dragging a few corpses out of the area to be burned before they draw a plague.

"Leave him alone, or you'll regret it."

"Oh yeah? What are you gonna do, you little -- AAAAHH!! Ow ow ow! You set my foot on fire!!"

"I warned you. Now get outta here, cretins."

"Gee, thanks, mister! I--"

"Listen, kid... I won't always be here to defend you. You need to find a way to defend yourself. Even if it's just being able to run faster than everybody else. Give it some thought, okay?"

"Okay..."

"Good. Now run along, and be careful."

Hmmm, four days... first I'd have to scrounge up enough food and water for the trip, and there probably wouldn't be much room for anything else. Also, I'd bring everything else I usually carry, including my wand, my alchemy kit, and a sturdy knife.

Hide and wait. It's the road to Ishgard. Somebody's bound to come along that will either a) have enough guards to defend themselves and appreciate a timely warning, or b) cause a distraction big enough for me to sneak across. Who knows? I might get to ride with a big merchant caravan and get real food the rest of the way.

A bookstore! I'll bet they've got a copy of Minerva's Canticles of Conjury... what do you mean, it's the original?!

I'm sorely tempted to buy a big stack of books, but I'd have to bring them back, and... I haven't got anywhere to put them, so they'd just get stolen and burnt for warmth. I'd buy a few changes of clothes, a couple of hats, and for goodness' sake a new pair of shoes. And a nice big backpack. This scrounged-up knapsack I got here with is falling apart at the seams. And of course, when I'm down to my last 1,000 gil, I buy the thing in the front window that's advertised for 1,000 gil, then come back two hours later and return it to a different person who doesn't know I paid with a voucher, and gives me gil instead. Hey, I need to get back home somehow....

Fish! I'll bet they have fish here. I've only ever had fish once, and it wasn't even good fish, but it was delicious! What? They have seven different kinds of fish?! Okay, that's it, I'm booking passage back home and then I'm coming back to eat...

Well, if my lot doesn't improve, I'll be standing out in the market with the rest of the urchins, trying to get handouts from rich people who feel guilty just letting us sit there and rot. Presents are for people who have money. Here's hoping things start looking up...

I made this originally for TALE but thought it would be fun to see everyone's responses at the RPC. ^_^ The following are some questions intended to get you thinking about how your character would react in different situations. Answer in character!

You invite a friend over to your house for the afternoon.

Describe what your friend would see upon entering your home.

Len : " Welcome "

( you would see some of my stuff lying around and would either be a normal section in an inn or camped out somewhere so no actual home to work with. Bounty Hunters live where ever )

During the casual small-talk that ensues,

your friend asks you if you have read any good books lately.

How do you respond?

Len : " Last book I read was a book on how to make weapons for my everyday killing , it was boring and rather useless so no I have not read any good books lately "

Your friend eventually leaves, and you're still bored.

Restless, you leave the house and set out for a walk.

Describe the neighborhood you live in.

Len : " everyplace looks the same to me , so boring "

( I live in so many places it would be wrong to describe any neighborhood )

Oh no! An orphan is in trouble!

Down the street from where you stand, a small street urchin is being bullied by three larger youths.

What do you do about it?

( I would not be interested , but if they cause too much trouble or over do it I will interrupt and say )

Len : " Get lost " ( if they ignore me )

" I will not ask a third time , get lost before I hurt you " ( if they go any further after that )

~sigh~ ( beat some sense into them and enjoy myself a bit then help kid up then tell him )

" fight back or get lost next time " ( then I will walk away and find something to do)

Adventure time! The next day, still restless, you decide that what you need is a good change of pace.

How do you pack for your four-day road trip to Ishgard?

Len : " weapons" (looks in bag) "check"

"water" ( shakes bottle ) "check"

"food" ( looks for bread and a few meaty snacks) "check"

"license" ( looks for Bounty Hunters License ) "check"

"clothes" ( 2 pairs of other clothes ) "check"

"time to be on my way"

Along your journey, you spot some bandits waiting at a bridge across a wide

but slow moving river up ahead of you.

They haven't seen you yet.

You need to cross the bridge to get to where you're going.

How do you handle the situation?

( I think first)

Len : ~sigh~ ( Look at river , then at bridge with bandits )

" I am not getting wet for this " ( I cross bridge and walk passed them and if they touch me I fight back )

" Do not make me kill you " ( is what I will say before killing them if they do not run )

(The nearest inn so i can get a bed for the night )

For being the 1,000th tourist to the city, you have been given a 6,000 gil voucher to spend as you like

at the Ishgard Department Store (think FFXIV version of Macy's).

What do you spend it on?

Len : " I think I need some new clothes since mine are all torn up , some new weapons might be good"

" Food and water comes first though so I'll get a years worth of that first"

( talking to myself , these things happen )

( if i can not get food with the voucher I will be upset )

All of that shopping has made you deliriously hungry.

What sort of food establishment do you seek out for lunch?

Len : " what is it with all these food places , I just want food , like I care where I eat "

Five months later and safely back at home, you realize the Winter Festival is approaching!

What sort of present do you pick out for your mother (or nearest living relative, or closest friend)?

Len : " time to get the usual" ( get a special lunch box and eat at the grave of the man who raised me)

( read my character's history to understand this part )

(I don't know if I'd actually play this character in game, but... could be fun.)

Ah, you'll love my house. See that merchant's mansion up there? Yeah, all mine. Come on, I'll show you around! They have, er I mean, I've got golden statues, painted busts, precious... works of art. All mine.

Oh, I love books! I love them a lot. Nothing beats lying down with a good book. There was this one... lately. I just started reading it, it's about... a sailor, who runs in with pirates - Yes, that's the one, you got it. What kind of books do you like? Rare books, maybe? Where do you keep them?

Yes, it's time to leave me alone in "my" house after all. I don't think I'd be restless though. After... "looking around," there's really no reason to be in th- my house, now is there? My neighborhood is very upscale. Only the wealthiest of merchants can afford to live here, you know.

I don't think we're talking about the same street. But, supposing this were to happen... Now, I'm all for street urchins not getting beat up, but let's think about this. Three against one doesn't seem fair to me, does it? So how about six versus three? I bet these thugs wouldn't be so tough if they thought I had guards to back me up - which, I assure you, I do. You wouldn't want to mess with them. Or me. So beat it!

Yes, it would be good to leave town for a long while, let those merchants cool off a bit. I hear another one of their houses got burglarized! A shame. Well, a trip to Ishgard! I would certainly take my fine new silverware, a rather nice set of jewelry, and this lovely painting I found - at the price I paid, it was quite a steal. Someone is sure to buy at a healthy profit there, I think.

I wouldn't travel alone, would I? But if I were, then you know what I think about several versus one. If I didn't have all this stuff with me, I would be going swimming... I can't dupe them into thinking I have an army this time, not without ample preparation. Wait, do I know that guy? He looks like the leader. Ha, I think I do. And he owes me a favor. Well, isn't that just lucky.

I hear there's a ball for some of the... better off folks in town. Perhaps I should break out my fancier clothing... I haven't danced with a pretty - and rich - lady in quite a long time.

Six... thousand? Hmm... You don't suppose this place has a fancy restaurant, do you? I know someone who I would like to take out to a lovely dinner.

Shopping, right. We'll pretend I spent that on clothes, after I buy a few token parcels for this lady of course. I would then take her to the finest restaurant I could find, and pay for it myself. My treat!

Yes, five months... Did you know that some rich ladies can actually handle a sword quite well? And can even outrun me? Yes, well, safely back home, with a new name, new haircut, and a bruised ego, I would probably go to my sister's home. She's always been nice to me even when I've come on hard times. Oh, and she glues all her valuables down. As for a present... I didn't sell all of the jewelry.

"First thing that he or she would notice would probably be all of the succulents, cacti, and other flowers in pots throughout the house. My large windows would let in plenty of sunlight, making it easy to notice the craftsmanship of all the handmade wooden furniture. Although, I haven't gotten skilled enough to make such beautiful pieces. What furniture I have was made by my late-mother, but I hope to one day be as skilled. However, on my bookshelf, you'll notice many small decorative wooden figurines. These pieces I've whittled myself. On many nights I like to relax in my rocking chair in front of the fireplace and just whittle away."

*nods his head with a gentle smile, then gestures to his bookshelf* "I picked up a great one from a traveling merchant just recently. It's called 'The Lone Cactaur', a fiction based on an amazing creature. I'd love to actually see one of these fellows one day........from a safe distance of course. *chuckles*

"It is a quiet area hidden away in Gridania, away from the hustle and bustle of the town square. The hulking trees can be seen all around, reaching up to the heavens with their massive branches as sunlight glared between the leaves."

*Holding his walking stick, Brin approaches the youthes. Before they notice him, Brin quickly raps each bully upon the head with his walking stick* "You three get on home or else I can find something constructive for you all to do. Perhaps you could do for a day of working out in the fields?"

"I pack fairly light, as much of what I use is available to me out in the wild. I'd have a simple pack with some essential herbs, medicines, a journal for taking notes, flint stone for making a campfire, and a thin rolled up mat to sleep on top of. Other than that, I'd just have my walking stick with me."

"I'd wait 'till nightfall, warning any folk traveling through the area. Once the bandits are asleep, I would cross the bridge and move through their camp very stealthily. After taking any weapons that I can get a hold of in the camp without waking the bandits, I would fasten their weapons to their chocobos, untie the chocobos' harness, and slap the rear end of the chocobos with my walking stick. After the chocobos have abandoned the camp, I'd be on my way, leaving the bandits in a much more vulnerable position."

"I'd find a store that'd be willing to trade with me, as I would have picked up various useful herbs along the way. After that, I'd find the nearest bookstore to see if there are any books that may interest me."

"New rare pots for my plants and any rare seeds I might be able to get a hold of. The rest, I would spend on clothes for those unfortunate souls in the city that are in need."

"I'd be interested in finding a place that cooked authentic food of the region. Tasting new food is always a treat to me."

"I would decorate one of my small trees with various Winter Festival knick knacks, and deliver it personally."

I suppose there isn't really much of an answer to this question due to the fact that I currently travel alot and usually stay at inns. However to describe my older home from when I was younger I'd say that upon entering my home a friend might find a somewhat plain house. Simplicity has always been my thing when it comes to my home. It helps you stay organized...

Hmm...book wise I'd have to go with The Adventurer's Guide to Adventuring. It's well written and very humorous. Believe it or not it also explains many questions you might have when setting out. Let's you know how to keep yourself from being dirt poor, surviving in the wilderness, and even gives a list of the cheapest inns found in Eorzea! It's a definite recommendation on my part for anyone that's looking for a good read and some professional tips. Just don't give it to your kids...it might give them bad ideas.

To respond to this question I suppose we will say my friend has left the 'home' that I'm currently established at in Gridania. Neighborhood wise I suppose you'd find a very beautiful view of the forest as well as a friendly community. I can't go into much detail as I haven't been staying here for long and also don't plan to. My apologies.

In an honest opinion I suppose I'd watch. If the kid shows some bravery towards the bullies I suppose I'd give him my assistance. However a coward deserves no pity or help in my eyes. In the times we live in it's either be brave or be bread, and by bread I mean food.

First thing is first, rent a good chocobo. Don't want one that'll give up halfway through your travels. After that carry necessities for the journey. Food, water, supplies for repairs, and some tools in case you need to stay alive by cooking the wildlife around the area. Never know what you'll run into. Of course I'd also bring a trusty weapon and set of armor. Can't be too careful these days...

Pitiful, as if we didn't have enough troubles nowadays. I have full confidence in my combat abilities, and I want to make sure I keep my chocobo in good shape and safe. I'd approach the bridge and refuse to pay. If need be, I'd fight them. There's no honor in cowardliness.

Check around for any information that might prove useful for my adventures. If there happens to be any good piece of information then I'd most likely dig deeper and deeper till I got somewhere. If not, enjoy the freedom and see what the city has to offer for a few days and then continue on my quest.

Hmmm...difficult question really. I suppose I'd see what I was missing at that point. If anything I'd try my best in order to get some cheap crafting materials to improve my crafting. Need to be able to create things when I need to in order to stay in top performance. Maybe they'd have some decent weaponry as well, I'd definitely check that out.

Best taste for the cheapest I can find. Us adventurer's nowadays don't really run on much money. Alot of it goes towards things that will ensure our survival. Also, there's a decent number of establishments that although quite small and new, they provide you with top quality food. However in the end, a meal is a meal so...anything is good really. I'm not too picky.

Heh....family. I suppose I can't quite answer this question, but if I could...I'd pick her out the nicest artifact I could find out in the market. She always loved them.....

The small house is barely more then a shag. Two rooms, with one of them being little more then a small corner filled with things hat would label the area as a kitchen. The rest of the "house" is a single room being bed and living room at the same time. Every interior is made of the simple but sturdy wood found all over Gridania. While mostly tidy, tools and half-written books are scattered around everywhere.

Looking around, picking up several of the books on the ground while mumbling something under breath, looking for one worth mentioning and handing it over with a big smile.

Forest, forest.. more forest. Badass huge trees and.. more forest. Living alone in the middle of nowhere does has its downsides, luckily the next village is not that far away.

"Cut that out, boys. Mess with someone to match your size and numbers." After sneaking up and bonking their heads one by one. Being a well-trained blacksmith does make an impressive appearance, even for a Miqo'Te.

Enough food of the storage, a well made armor and weapon of the own forge and the matching tools to repair them on the journey. The forest is far from harmless aroudn these days.

Sneak backwards a few minutes, spendign a good amount of time to treat both weapon and armor until they are flawless and shining, closing the helmed and hiding the set of tools as good as possible before making the way over the bridge, hoping that the impressive sight will do the trick and getting away without much of a fight. If not... Hoping that spear can take out one fast enough to proove it was a bad diea attacking. If THATS not working... well, running is always an option.

The next inn. getting out of that armor, taking a small rest and then heading out to find the local center for good food.

Fancy tools and materials to work with of course. High-quality goods make the best price for my own. Never say no to a way to make more money then before.

Fish. Fish is "always" the best idea.

Knowing she is a passionate alchemist, I certainly found something back in Ishgard she'd like. As for mostly having no clue about alchemie, i hope the shopkeeper handed me something usefull, otherwise I'd had to get back there for an old-fashioned beating.

Seeing as I don't have a true home, I'll describe how one of my makeshift shelters would look like.

Upon entry the first thing you notice are stacks of paper everywhere, not neatly stacked on top of each other, but just thrown in a pile in an effort to save space with minimal effort.

In one corner you see a large piece of linen on which in one end lie a pile of Dodo down, most likely used as a bed, in another corner there's a large opening at both ground level and in the top, both covered with flaps of linen to ward against the chill winds, next to and below these there is a fire pit around which there are several pots and jars each containing various stalks, leaves, roots and seeds as well as two larger pots containing salted meat.

The Web of Hydaelyn, written by a self-proclaimed prophet of Nymeia, it was quite fascinating in that it speculates upon how Nymeia herself has spun the web of Hydaelyn's fate and in it the fates of all intertwine to further her designs.. It depicts her as a vengeful diety..- etc. etc.

It can be a desert, a forest, a valley, ocean-side and so on.

It is sad that people feel the need to torture others, but they'll probably learn more from this experience if I leave them be compared to if I intervened.

*walks past them, eyeing the youths with a mixture of disgust and empathy.*

I roll the Dodo down in the Linen cloth closing each end with some thin rope and strap it onto my bag containing mostly papers, quills, some ink and rations, mainly dried meat and a few potions.

If I pass through unknown/hostile areas I equip a pair of heavy leather gloves donned with bone spikes tipped with silver on each knuckle.

For the rest I have my heavy leather cloak to protect against the elements and a knobby walking stick.

Trying avoid a confrontation I'd wait till nightfall hoping for them to take their business elsewhere, if not.

I'd get to cross the cold waters of the river with less chance of being seen, once getting to the other bank I'd try to reach some relative safety on the opposite side of a hill, cliff, etc. and light a campfire as to dry my clothes.

One of two places, the library or the Alchemists' Guild.

Some books Creation theory and mythological artefacts, as well recipes on new concoctions of different kinds.. If there's anything left I'll spend it on some food, set up a stall to prepare it, and give it away to the hungry and poor.

My own, I'll only take just enough to sate my own hunger, so that there will be more left for the others

A tiny wood carving I stumbled upon one night when seeking shelter in a cave for the night, it crudely resembles a Miqo'te on all fours bowing before something.

Let's give this a shot, shall we?

You invite a friend over to your house for the afternoon. Describe what your friend would see upon entering your home.What most people notice first are my "collectibles" from my "hobby", which is a fancy way of sayin' they'd see nearly the entire one room flat covered in all kinds of bottles. Empty, of course. A lotta makeshift furniture gathered from what's tossed out from the local warehouses, too. All in all, a nice place to stagger home to.

Oh man, one of the bartenders downtown loaned me this great book, it's so romantic. This gal is saved from an arranged marraige by a muscular mountain of Miqo'te man meat and they do all sorts of ... well ... yeah. *sighs dreamily*

Well, sure it may seem like a run down neighborhood by the docks. But look at the location! I can't throw a Lalafell without hitting a dive bar.

Just watch the kid and see how he handles himself. If he ain't puttin up a fight on his own behalf, I don't really see the need to intervene. Lots of good lessons can be learned from a beat down.

Well aside from my gear, I suppose I'd use a change of clothing, or two, to bundle around a couple, or nine, bottles of whatever liquor I got handy. I can fill up my flask with some good stuff at a bar on the way out of town.

Well I ain't in any real hurry to get wherever the hell it is I'm going, so I might as well wait them out. Sure was good planning to pack all this hooch, right? I tell ya, I'm a thinker. *pokes her noggin*

Definately to check out the pub life. Gotta see what the local brands are like. Ooooooo ... applejack ....

Department store isn't my usual scene, but money is money. Probably just waste it all on one nice outfit. Never know when you need to crash a fancy shindig.

Everyone knows that bars make the best food. I can't wait to get my paws on something that'll go straight to my hips.

Crap, this year went by quick. Ummmm ... uhhhhhhhhh. What does she like? Oh yeah, she wanted me to get a nice portrait done and send it back home. Apparently already has one from the each of the others. *sighs* Guess I'll have to break out that new dress sooner than I'd wanted.

Let's give this one a go. First time trying this character in role-play setting, but it should be good. These comments are very detailed, but I'll be more lax about detail when in-game.

Considering that the average Ul'dah tenement isn't much of an accommodation, there isn't very much to look at here. Upon entering, you'll notice two big tables in the center of the room: one with a couple of chairs and a lot of newspapers, and one with various trinkets and books that I play around with at night. There are two bookshelves on the right wall, with one containing manuals to various devices and vehicles (my father gave those to me, they're good entertainment) and the other holding my own books (poems and philosophy) and pamphlets. On the left wall resides my wardrobe and a bonsai on a nightstand, right next to a small and cosy bed. I've made a makeshift chandelier out of assorted junk and attached it to the ceiling, and there is a nice fragrance in the air that I really cannot explain (and I don't apply cologne either!). If you're coming in for a visit, you can see me either tinkering around with my equipment, laughing heartily at a really bad article in the ever-manipulated Ul'dah City Tribune, or playing a flute. It usually depends on my mood what I'm doing, but I'm always ready to welcome a friend into the room.

"Ah yes, books! --Here's a good one: On the Future of Aeronautical Freight. A lovely man named Franc Vuel wrote a bunch of nice articles on how airships are a veritable future for commerce, et cetera... and it's just a nice book to read. As for a book I actually care about, I have yet to find one. *tosses Franc Vuel book onto the table*."

Somewhat miserable and filled with only slivers of excitement. The sewage in the back alleys create this pungent odor that seeps into everyone's noses, and it drives me batty pretty much every time I come back home. Most of the tenements have yet to be purchased, and so I'm one of the few residents in my ward (a new one, to be fair, but there are many who came to live in Ul'dah, and I'm surprised that they haven't settled here.). The postal boy is a lazy fellow as well, preferring to fling the Tribune right through my window, costing me a relative fortune in gil -- he'll get it someday with that attitude. My neighbor is a snobby young man around my age (whose name evades me), and he routinely makes it clear to me everyday (--usually by chatting with me around mid-day in the middle of the neighborhood) that he is going to achieve a high rank in this grand city. I can only reply with a good laugh, as few could ever hope to rival members of the Syndicate in this place -- he's such a romantic sometimes.

It depends on what the poor boy can do. If he's putting up a fight, I'll watch for a while and see where it goes (and if he gets beaten to a pulp, perhaps he'll learn something important). But if he really can't put up a fight, I'll intervene and send the bullies off scurrying (It's easy to do this when you're loaded with gauntlets on your hands, and the bullies are easy to scare anyhow). The following conversation goes like this: "Well kid, when you're being bullied, you need to put up a fight or just get out of there. Look, nice guys like me are never going to have the time to keep saving you from trouble -- you need to do the job yourself. Now here's some spare gil from good 'ol Richter, and use it well I say!" With a pat on the boy's head, I usually head off to the desert to train.

Goody goody, a trip to Ishgard! It's going to be a long one for me, so I usually pack my toiletries and resources in both a lightweight rucksack and in a bag held at the waist. I am accustomed to picking up food and water en route, so my travel equipment merely holds my weaponry, tools, and gil. Once I'm off and in the desert sun, I can work with the heat: shirtless, loose and pale breeches, etc.

Evasion is the best option here, and I know several detours that can be taken in this scenario (depends on how far up the road it is to Ishgard). If I see a way back to the road around the bridge and across the river, I'll use it, but I will use a decoy tactic of some kind to distract the bandits when necessary (--and when in lieu of a route, understandably). This usually works but, in the chance that I do get caught sneaking past, I'll be ready to pummel them down and escape. Should the bandits be weak enough, I'll even loot them if they have any goods of worth to me.

I'm a sucker for beautiful landscapes, and I'll definitely scout out the most scenic area in the city to look at. Once I've done a walk around town, I'll go and find a room to rent at an inn or a tavern before doing various other activities (training, talking with locals that seem somewhat interesting, and even trying to find a suiting guild in the area).

I'll save up most of the gil for when I need it (either to pay the monthly rent back in Ul'dah and/or to save up for a trip back to Vylbrand), but I'll usually be on the look-out for new equipment to serve my needs as an adventurer. Attire isn't an issue for me, as I have enough money to buy new clothes when I need them.

Though nothing can beat the Bismarck, I'll usually make sure that I can concoct a meal of rye bread, cooked meat (I prefer dodo, unlike many), corn (it's very delicious), and a small dessert. If I can't make that meal, I'll go look for a tavern that has a dedicated cook and can serve me with something nice and refreshing. I do love a good drink of certain ales at least once per week, but I'd much prefer milk or spring water most of the time.

I do this every year: sending a ton of gil home to my father, who is usually ill in some form and very busy working on a new airship design. --He does the same for me at that time of year, and with great concern for whatever I seem to be doing out in the reaches of Eorzea and of Ul'dah. I often try to find a collectible figurine to give to my father as well, usually an airship model that he wants to own. And for me, I don't need many gifts -- life already gives them to me.

You invite a friend over to your house for the afternoon. Describe what your friend would see upon entering your home. Wait, when did I get a home? You didn't marry me while I was gone did you?!

During the casual small-talk that ensues, your friend asks you if you have read any good books lately. How do you respond? "Oh yes, just recently I found a book call The Art of Pie. The book talks about how to make one of the best pie's, the book was extremly good, there was one point on which I did not agree..." (This would take a while)

Your friend eventually leaves, and you're still bored. Restless, you leave the house and set out for a walk. Describe the neighborhood you live in. I'm a wandering mercenary! I don't live in a neighborhood.

Oh no! An orphan is in trouble! Down the street from where you stand, a small street urchin is being bullied by three larger youths. What do you do about it? I'll watch. Street Urchin's are tough, they have to be. As long as the bullies do not resort to physical violence I wont get involved. Either way, I will give the kid some tips on combat.

Adventure time! The next day, still restless, you decide that what you need is a good change of pace. How do you pack for your four-day road trip to Ishgard? A simple first-aid kit, a change of clothes, three weeks of trail supplies, my armor, my Great Axe Eea, and a couple of secondary weapons.

Along your journey, you spot some bandits waiting at a bridge across a wide but slow moving river up ahead of you. They haven't seen you yet. You need to cross the bridge to get to where you're going. How do you handle the situation? I cross the bridge. It is possible that they are not bandits, but if they are and they decide to go after me, well that is just not smart of them. Not many people would want to fight a large man in battle scarred armor carring a large axe like it was a feather weight.

You have just arrived for the first time in a new big city. Where do you go first? A hole in the wall pub or restraunt. They usually have the best food in town.

I spend it on something that is easily retradable.

All of that shopping has made you deliriously hungry. What sort of food establishment do you seek out for lunch? I search for the best food in town.

Five months later and safely back at home, you realize the Winter Festival is approaching! What sort of present do you pick out for your mother (or nearest living relative, or closest friend)? I make them a nice sturdy bow. Or a table.

• 3 weeks later...

((I thought it might be better to post this here and link to it. I think it could use the bump for new members, like me! xP As I said before, I love these character Q&A exercises!))

"Hmm, let's see." Elle pauses as she takes a moment to think. Then with a sheepish smile she admits, "Not much, really! My little apartment in Limsa has just what I need. I guess you could say it really is little more than a space for a bed, my clothes, and my other possessions. I do like to keep plenty of flowers and plants in vases and pots all around the places. I guess that would pop out at them first, mmhmm!"

"A book?" She blinks incredulously, as if she does not even know the meaning of the word. "I did read a good cookbook not too long ago. Well, I guess it would not make for very interesting reading by itself, but the recipes were really good! If only I could make them." She chuckles mirthfully.

"I live in Limsa Lominsa, down near the docks. The waters sparkle in the daylight, and the rows and rows of quaint white stone houses like mine give way to winding and twisting sections of the wooden docks. The smell of the seawater and fish hangs in the air, and it can get really humid during the day. But there is nothing like the feel of the misty sea breeze skimming over the water and rushing between the rocks refreshing you! You just have to watch where you step and mind your business. You have to be very careful at night, too."

"Bullies?" Elle shifts uncomfortably as she considers her answer. "I would call out to them and try to get them to stop. It's not right to pick on someone like that!"

"I love a trip!" Elle looks excited, her tail swaying rhythmically behind her as she clasps her hands together. "I would not need to bring much! You know you can find a lot of what you need out in the wild, and it is better to travel light!" She nods, her smile wider and brighter than usual. "I would bring a flask of water, a compass, some rope, some linens for bandages and the like, some food... Pretty boring, huh?" She laughs to herself. "Oh! And... my axe. Hmm, a map? Oh, no thanks. Just point me in the right direction!"

"This is tough." Elle looks nervous and uncertain. "I really, really don't want to fight, but I know the bandits wouldn't just let me pass. I could try to hide and wait and see what they are up to. Maybe they will just go away? Wait... what if someone else comes and tries to cross? I can wait to see if anyone is coming from the same direction as me and warn them. Then maybe we could work together! But if they come from the other side... Maybe I will have to fight after all."

"Everywhere! A new city just means new sights to see and new people to meet! I guess I shouldn't poke my nose where it doesn't belong, but I would love to see it all~"

"S-six thousand? That is so much! I can... just have it? Are you sure?" Elle blushes. "Oh, well, it is just a question. Hehehe... Hmm, what would I spend it on? Well, if I just made the trip Ishgard, I suppose I would have equipment that would need repairs or replacement. Then maybe I could get a nice meal. Six thousand gil is so much!" Elle continues to think about the answer, though it is clear she either does not spend large amounts of money often, or she does not have many material desires. "Hm? You mean just buy stuff I want? Well... I guess I would like a nice dress and some matching shoes. Maybe a pretty necklace."

"I guess the first nice little place I see. I do love eating outdoors! Maybe a nice cafe? N-nothing too expensive! I am not a high-class girl." She lowers her eyes to the floor.

"My... mother?" The once cheery girl looks away for a moment, visibly stung. A frown forms on her face. Then she turns back and forces a weak smile. "Oh, I'm sorry! I was just thinking about something else. I would get her a nice... a nice bracelet. Engraved, with a special message."

Elaborate cloths all over the place. Many fixated upon intricate and fascinating designs, and wonderful, classic, heritage, albeit whimsical furniture. Drapes and drapes and clothing and more drapes, and a bed with a fancy bed-skirt. After all, the owner is a weaver and a magician! Ah, see the moon, see the moon in my living room! As well, healthy wood and water all around. It is a magical place. A magical weaving of delight.

Oh, the first thing upon entering you say? Why it would be my fountain!

My best of friend reads a lot, books of all kinds! And I had thought spending more time around her would diversify my tastes, but I still mostly read magical tomes. I spent a particular amount of time lately reading a simply fascinating book about ice magic, called the "Aurora scar". It was very fascinating and informative, and I think I may be on the verge of a real improvement in my ice magic, soon!

Oh, it is a very friendly neighborhood. It used to feel warmer... but it's still very great. I love my home, I love the woods, the burning sunset, and of course, the moon at night!

As I walk out the door now, it's night, and several hours until dusk, when I usually go to bed. The moon is huge! And there's just something so warm about the night, little lights still out, and the outside is warm enough. I walk through and through, and the warm rooftops above embrace me and keep me feeling secure, I'm heading to a creek, and the woods. I stare out at the water, and I feel whole inside. Less whole than I once did, but still amazing. I shall wait and stare at this creek and these woods that embrace me, until the hour comes that the restaurant that I like most is open, and severing my favorite dish.

Hmph. I would never let such a thing pass. I will mosey on over there and teach them a lesson.

I love my town, but the mysteries call me. I will return to my home soon. But of course, I want lots of food and magical supplies. I'll be sure to get lots of extra food when I eat the restaurant today. I think I am pretty well ready already, but I will still need to food and magical accessories on me than usual.

Well, I am strong, but I still have a long way to go to be any legend of might, to be cast into Onyx and precious material. So I cannot simply take every battle that comes before me, I think I will check to see how powerful they are, how they look. What materials do they carry? If they look weak as they do now, I will simply walk in, and take care of them. If not, I may sneak through the river and avoid eyesight.

I'm sure hungry, I wonder if they have anything special.

Oh, this is wonderful. Surely the gods have been looking down on me today, thank you Menphina!

I can buy a shiny new staff, a sword, and even several magical books and potions! Perhaps I'll even buy a new robe?

Sniff. Sniff! I smell a wonderful smell of grilled fish and paste over there! I am eating there! Oh, and they'd better have the beer!

I found several nice leatherworking books and rare materials when I was out at the department store, so I was sure to get that. There was also a group of bangles that enhance the power of shell. I was sure to get those.

I had our family and special messages engraved on all of them. She should love it!

The insides of an oaken-log cabin, attempted to keep tidy but with subtle evidence of poor success. Several doors align the walls leading to the other rooms of the main floor, and a ladder rises to the half-floor balcony that makes the upstairs. The walls of the thinly lit cabin are lined with strange hunting trophies and other artifacts stranger still, yet the floor remains largely void of furniture.

"mm... not really. Things aren't exactly easy to manage here in the middle of nowhere, but I have been going through an old favorite of mine, care if I fetch it over?"

While "neighborhood" isn't the word for it, the grove does see an odd visitor now and again, and only one of them - a black bird yet to name herself - is daily a welcome one. Dense forest on all sides, a stream runs past it on the east. A handful of small buildings stand surrounding a sand-floored clearing, each one with their own specific function. Between two of them exists a small garden, carefully kept yet often stingy.

From further away Rhea'd shout for the attention of all four, while briskly making her way over. She'd then make it a point to shoo the bullies away so to have a word with the urchin - if they might be able to assist her in finding her way to... where-ever it was she was going. Someplace that's away from the bullies, I suppose.

Something to eat that tastes good, and plenty things to read. If something's a necessity, her sister'll care for that.

Not thinking she'd carry anything worth the trouble of stealing, Rhea'd simply make for the bridge. Any bandit half smart won't risk getting injured for the sake of nothing.

A tavern. Nothing to top a long hike like a hearty meal, strong foreign spirits, and a nice day's rest after a long road. Business? Eh, it'll wait until nightfall.

New clothes~ or something to drink. Yes, it'd be nice to bring home something to drink, especially from such a long way away. Food, maybe... but it is a long road, food probably wouldn't stay uneaten very well. hm, never seen a dress like that before - and look at that clawhammer and file set! ...where's Mho when you need her?

Nothing too high class, half a good meal is listening in on the discussions had in the other tables after all. And the best of gossip can be found in the worst of places. ...then again, high class gossip might be a bit of a change of pace, hm. Anything that's crowded enough, with atleast decent staff. And that I could afford.

mm, this'd have to be something she'd both enjoy and find a use for. Something unforgettable... maybe a new bow... But I doubt she'd need one. A cloak, maybe? Yes that's it, a nice winterized hooded cloak, specifically made for her.

Woo, more questionnaires! *shamelessly tacks her own on* Since Mho's pretty reticent to talk on her own, I'll be giving more complete answers after hers.

"Wooden floors. Walls. Windows. The relics of those who came before. Perhaps my sister, if she is not at the forge."

A small timeworn wooden cabin, well tended but a little cluttered, despite obvious halfhearted attempts to keep everything orderly. A ladder leads to a half-loft above the main room where the beds are, and solid-looking windows let in the light. A couple doors lead off to a small side room and a storage area. Most striking though is probably the seemingly random collection of artifacts hung on the walls - everything from old, worn tools to preserved animal skeletons.

A little awkwardly "...No."

Mho, unfortunately, finds reading a bit of a chore. She'd much rather be DOING something. There are probably books out there she'd enjoy quite a bit, but she'd rather not have to spend all the time to find out if it was worth reading or not after the fact.

"I live in the woods. Trees, moss, stones. That is my neighborhood."

The cabin Mho shares with her sister is about half a day's walk from the outskirts of Gridania, in a wooded clearing. A makeshift forge lies at the back, near the stream that runs along one side. A small herb garden lies next to the house, near two smaller structures, and an ever-present crow hops about, eagerly awaiting the scraps and offal Mho leaves for it after gutting a kill.

"Stop them."

Cold and uncaring as Mho tries to appear, she's absolutely terrible at actually being heartless. She'd very calmly but sternly run the older children off, then escort the urchin to somewhere safer while trying to sort out why they were being bullied, and possibly give advice on what to do about it in the future - all while sounding as austere and introspective as possible.

"I'd question what made me so restless, first. ...But I suppose that isn't the answer you were after, was it. I've never traveled any great distance. Is there game along the way? I suppose I would have to find out what the road is like before I answered."

Mho would only pack essentials for traveling, but she might be a bit clueless how to prepare for any terrain other than woodlands.

After a long pause. "Some? How many? My answer depends greatly upon it. If only a few, I would show myself and try to discuss things from a distance. If they are not peaceable, I would injure one with my bow then flee past an ambush prepared by my sister, then turn to join her. If they are numerous or do not try to attack... Go upstream. Seek another crossing."

While she wouldn't shy away from conflict if needed, Mho prefers not to hurt or kill people if she can help it. Not really out of any moral guidelines, just a sort of queasy gut sense that it's not good to hurt people when you don't have to.

"I secure lodging."

Mho's very practically minded at times - first things first. Get settled in, find out where you're staying, where you're eating, and how to manage both. Once she's got that settled, she'd have peace of mind to look after other business.

A long, pensive silence as she bites her lip thoughtfully. "I... don't know. I suppose I would have to ask my sister's advice. Supplies for the return trip? Yes, actually, I suppose I had better do that before I ask her advice..."

The idea of money to burn is completely foreign to Mho, who's... never really had to deal with much money in her life. It's simply never been a concern to her.

"You mean I did not eat first? Hm. ...Somewhere with meat. Grilled, if they have it. Wait- Do they have anything spicy in this city?"

Mho is a bit of a carnivore. While she appreciates nice seasonings and herbs as much as the next person, vegetables simply don't excite her. She goes nuts for hot and spicy food, though.

"...a barrette. A comb. Something pretty for her hair."

Mho doesn't really see the point of practical gifts. If someone needs something, won't they get it for themselves? While she knows full well that her mother would probably never wear it, Mho firmly believes gifts ought to be something special or unusual, something the receiver wouldn't ordinarily get for themselves or wouldn't be able to, but would appreciate all the same.

It depends. It would be wherever I am putting up at, presently. Recently, it would just be a bare room with an abundant supply of tea in A.E.T.H.E.R Headquarters.

There would be few decorations. Only functional things like a bed, a meditation mat, and a chair.Aschere does not keep peripherals.

First of, Aschere does not partake in much small talk. But the answer to the question is a simple, "Yes." And that is all.

Again, this would depend on wherever Aschere is living at presently. Aschere would most probably not be bored though, and if so, would rather meditate or train.

Stand a distance away to give the urchin an opportunity to stand up for himself. If the latter is seriously in danger, Aschere might help by tossing a rock at the head of the lead bully.

This is an unlikely decision for Aschere. But to answer the question, nothing but the essentials; clothes, a weapon for defense, medication. Oh. And a supply of tea, of course.

Carry on as usual. Bandits usually work by intimidation; kill the alpha, the rest crumbles.The first one who draws a blade at her, dies. If outclassed, Aschere runs, or dies.

*Hmmm. Might be a short lifestory. But I am concerned in portraying her reaction.

Find a place to stay. Aschere would enter the first inn she finds.

Is there a expiry date for the voucher? Can it be exchanged for gil? If not, Aschere will probably get some new clothes or a weapon. And tea.

*Aschere does not have things to spend on. She would prefer constant income instead of a windfall, so she is kind of clueless when given a voucher.

Aschere would eat at the first establishment she finds. Hopefully one that has tea.

Aschere does not have any living relatives (that she knows of). In context, she will probably make a present out of a tea set.