A sad day

Orin

[Rant]

I don't want the community to split even further, either. It's already bad that a bunch of RPers decided to go to a second server, and I swear that it's the very first time I've ever seen such a thing happen in a community of RPers, which are a minority to start with. The last thing we need is a third split.

I feel sad thinking about all the wonderful characters and stories I'll be missing, just because, for one reason or another, the community was unable to remain freaking united. It does suck. Any sort of split sucks.

[/rant]

It's not that I don't agree with you, it's that this is really common.  In WoW, there's the huge Wyrmrest Accord vs. Moon Guard split.  In Neverwinter Nights, I lost count of the number of Persistent World Servers started precisely because people didn't want to play nice.  Before that it was SEAChat sites destroyed by infighting, and before that spats between cliques in Ayenee.

At least this situation isn't a case of, "Omg, those Balmung people are so gross and such horrible RPers!" or "Omg, those Gilgamesh newbs are just trolls, always metagaming."  Or another variation of that theme.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and before that spats between cliques in Ayenee

Sorry to derail, but... Ayenee? Wow, didn't expect to find another person from there.

Couple of us around. ;)

IMO splintering is inevitable anyway with servers being nigh unacessable to a lot of us. In a few weeks the pops will settle down, yes, but as someone mentioned before it is entirely unfair and unreasonable to expect people who have a vested interest in playing to sit idle until SE gets this mess of theirs figured out. 

My WoW homeserver of Feathermoon saw splits as well when queues were a "huge problem" (how I wish we had them now!). It was sad, sure, but many folks did come back after populations became stable. I don't expect any different here. What would be best is to at least come to a decision at least for the benefit of anyone who might be wanting to join the community from this point forward. Y'know as opposed to the, "Welcome! Can't join? That's too bad." sort of vibe I'm getting.

and before that spats between cliques in Ayenee

Sorry to derail, but... Ayenee? Wow, didn't expect to find another person from there.

:D  Yes, my formative Noob years were spent there!

Y'know as opposed to the, "Welcome! Can't join? That's too bad." sort of vibe I'm getting.

This actually really bugs me.

I have to say (even though it's been my first day here) that reading through the forums in regards to a possible third server or the gilgamesh/balmung overpopulation issue, I'm kinda disheartened  by what I see.

"Well I'm having fun on Gilgamesh/Balmung, why aren't you? Oh, you can't create on the server? Not my problem." Seems to be the response/reasoning I get from those who are already on the server. And for those who can't, feel really left out and abandoned by the greater community. And yes, though those servers may free up shortly after launch or so- It'll mean that the involvement in the community and the character building between people will have been pretty much set, and fall into such clique-like attitudes that ultimately made me retire from WoW and SWTOR.

Yes, we have the ability to band together on another server (which is why me and a buddy will be checking out Behemoth/Faeire) but the fact of the matter is the greater community now seems even further out of their reach due to server caps and their own disposition.

Don't get me wrong, I do not have the want or right to judge anyone, but I will say that I wish the greater community on this site was a little more supportive of their wayward compatriots. Once they expand the servers, or people start leaving Gil, I'd love to give it a shot, because I've been out of the RP game for a minute now and found this a perfect avenue to come back to it... But please, be a little bit more compassionate in your approach to others just looking for guidance on what to do.

Soapbox away, thank you for your time.

Wow. I'm not going to lie, that really hurt.

The problem here is NOT that we aren't compassionate, it's that there's nothing we can do. And for me, I'm pulling away from a lot of the community at the moment because there's so much negativity going around. I know people are frustrated and disappointed and anxious - I get that. I really do. I've had my own share of bumps though I understand that I've been luckier than most. But for everyone's problems, there's NOTHING I CAN DO but try to stay positive and encourage people to look on the bright side. I'm not one of those people who feeds on negativity so I try to feed on positivity. If that means that I am disregarding other people's problems, then I'm sorry.

Being fairly new to this, I have to say that the people I've spoken to so far have been nothing but compassionate regarding my inability to log in to Bal or Gilg. They have even taken to deleting alts in the hopes that other people can actually log in and join them. There isn't much else they can do and I don't want them to have a miserable time just because I can't play with them yet.

Since it's still early days, I don't imagine there will be that many people out RPing so I'm not too fussed with what I'm missing. I'll be able to play on Bal eventually. Until then I'm going to keep hanging around these forums until I can start a character on Bal.

I'm just going to play on Faerie and get to know the game more before I start RPing. I might even do something outrageous like use my character on Faerie as a story intro for my actual character on Bal.

"Why X became X ... "

Like I said elsewhere, I've seen this sorta thing before pretty often. In WoW, the "most popular RP server" always ended up being full, with queues of undreds of people.

When this happened, Blizzard would eventually open free transfers to low pop servers. We RPers endured and remained there, waiting for the non-Rpers to leave.

It's always been successful.

Only times RPers migrated was when the overall quality of life on the server went to hell due to... I'm not sure what, actually. But it wasn't about high population.

If you see my words as a "it's not my problem" or "you can't leave" ... well, it's your choice to read it that waybut I'm actually saying is "please endure, trust me it can be done" and "stay, your presence here is desired."

I believe what I've said may have been taken in a manner that I was not expecting. By no means am I judging anyone who is having fun on their servers with this community, and encourage you to keep having fun. I wouldn't ask someone to drop their current community or say that you have 0 compassion at all.

And what I said about the compassion remark wasn't a few bad apples spoil the bunch assumption. It was exactly as has been stated 'there is nothing we can do'. And you are 100% correct on that remark, it's up to square. I read through dozens of posts before making that last remark versus just putting it up there.

I have no doubt alot of you feel bad that your fellow community members are split from you, and when gilgamesh and balmung open up, I have no doubt you will reunite with them with open arms. I did however mean what I said there was 0 support for an 3rd rp server. When in swotr, I quit a server who was losing it's population and rolled on another RP server. I left alot of guildmates behind, but we talked/communicated through forums and voip clients until most of them transfered when the transfers were free. The reception I got was, 'Have fun where you are, keep in touch and hopefully we see you again', not 'I'm sorry I can't get you here, just be patient and join later'.

That being said, I believe I will be rolling on Faerie until gil and bal open up, and I am glad you guys are having a wonderful time with this game, and I encourage those who wish to join these high pop server: go make some new friends on a different server, await square's resolution, and just have fun.

I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, and wish you all the best.

Thank you for your time.

Wow. I'm not going to lie, that really hurt.

The problem here is NOT that we aren't compassionate, it's that there's nothing we can do. And for me, I'm pulling away from a lot of the community at the moment because there's so much negativity going around. I know people are frustrated and disappointed and anxious - I get that. I really do. I've had my own share of bumps though I understand that I've been luckier than most. But for everyone's problems, there's NOTHING I CAN DO but try to stay positive and encourage people to look on the bright side. I'm not one of those people who feeds on negativity so I try to feed on positivity. If that means that I am disregarding other people's problems, then I'm sorry.

I don't think that's what he was saying at all.  He's not talking to people trying to "look on the bright side."  He is (correct me if I'm wrong) talking about the people who are telling those locked out that they should just wait, and refusing to consider any alternatives for them.

I think the main issue here is the RPC is a community, and people splitting up all over the place goes against the definition of a community.

It's not wrong... but it's not... community-friendly.

It's already been said the RPC wouldn't support more than 2 servers, there was enough drama about getting a 2nd one already.

Another issue is.. "we're going to play elsewhere" can be, consciously or not, perceived as "you guys aren't worth waiting for your servers to let me in". It's of course not the idea of rolling elsewhere, but like I said, it can be a conscious OR subconscious perception.

All this leads to... what we're seeing on the forums.

And this is all Squeenix's fault! :o

I believe what I've said may have been taken in a manner that I was not expecting. By no means am I judging anyone who is having fun on their servers with this community, and encourage you to keep having fun. I wouldn't ask someone to drop their current community or say that you have 0 compassion at all.

And what I said about the compassion remark wasn't a few bad apples spoil the bunch assumption. It was exactly as has been stated 'there is nothing we can do'. And you are 100% correct on that remark, it's up to square. I read through dozens of posts before making that last remark versus just putting it up there.

I have no doubt alot of you feel bad that your fellow community members are split from you, and when gilgamesh and balmung open up, I have no doubt you will reunite with them with open arms. I did however mean what I said there was 0 support for an 3rd rp server. When in swotr, I quit a server who was losing it's population and rolled on another RP server. I left alot of guildmates behind, but we talked/communicated through forums and voip clients until most of them transfered when the transfers were free. The reception I got was, 'Have fun where you are, keep in touch and hopefully we see you again', not 'I'm sorry I can't get you here, just be patient and join later'.

That being said, I believe I will be rolling on Faerie until gil and bal open up, and I am glad you guys are having a wonderful time with this game, and I encourage those who wish to join these high pop server: go make some new friends on a different server, await square's resolution, and just have fun.

I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, and wish you all the best.

Thank you for your time.

Very well said in both your posts. I found it disconcerting myself reading some of the posts including the stance of the site. It seemed more about promoting the individual communities than about promoting roleplaying which I find stands higher than any server. For me, the server is the hub but the community is all and every single roleplayer no matter where they call home. I enjoy all their stories, their characters and their development. I really could care less what server they lay their head.

But not everyone has been as such and are just as troubled by the split caused by game mechanics. As one of those stuck on the outside I thank those for their support. It isn't easy since I have friends who got on Gilgamesh during p4 that I have known for ten years. Unfortunately, my son got injured during his football scrimmage so I got on late in the weekend after my wife and I played doctor (get your mind out the gutter *laughs*!) and with that lost my opportunity.

It is what it is and I will simply have to find a way to find roleplayers because without them my interest will fade as it is my greatest enjoyment in my online gaming. Best of luck to all out there.

I don't mean to derail the thread but I came across this:

http://gamerescape.com/2013/08/27/thank-you-naoki-yoshida/

I know that a lot of us are frustrated about not being able to log in but if you saw the video this morning of the launch event...I was nearly crying despite not being able to translate it. You can send him thanks so that he and some of the team can read it at PAX. Let's show Yoshi-P that we do care despite all that is going on.

I don't mean to derail the thread but I came across this:

http://gamerescape.com/2013/08/27/thank-you-naoki-yoshida/

I know that a lot of us are frustrated about not being able to log in but if you saw the video this morning of the launch event...I was nearly crying despite not being able to translate it. You can send him thanks so that he and some of the team can read it at PAX. Let's show Yoshi-P that we do care despite all that is going on.

Name: Dennthota Ahtahrmwyn

World: Balmung

Hahaha, I kid. But I wonder how many people will send him stuff like that. The beta forums have always been hostile, and that has seemed to have spilled over onto the normal forums and has doubled because of the inaccessibility to the servers. 

I just keep pretending that the game isn't really out yet. It's the only way I can stay sane from my days of unable to log in as all my LS mates pull off ahead. The official forums and other community sites are raging on the internet, but despite all that, he did it. He turned a failure of a game into something amazing, so amazing in fact that he exceeded all expectations and broke it lol. No matter if players leave because of the bad launch or whatever. That at least deserves some recognition.

On a more positive note. Both my brother and I were able to join balmung. Granted it required a bit of luck and waking up early. And it is worth the wait, so far balmung is quite welcoming. Everyone goes out of their way to explain things to newer players to the game. I'm hoping that they will continue to open up so that other rp players can join in as well. And I'm not gonna lie I do encourage people in game who are Not rp'ers who hold no connection to anyone on balmung to seek out other servers so we can get you guys in with us.

I realized today that the whole issue isn't with the developers, this time.

It's the players who log in and afk for hours, in case they wouldn't be able to log in later. They're the only reason servers are so full amd therefore the only reason people are now looking for other servers to call home.

The only thing the devs can do about it is implement an auto-kick feature, which I hope they do.

I'm really disappointed that I can't get into Balmung, I actually thought that since I had a character created here from the last beta weekend I'd be allowed in, but I guess that's not how it works... 

Still, my need to be on Balmung outweighs my need to be playing, right now-... 

I have so many plans for Hyltwakka that I can't really bring myself to get started on anything else, especially on a different server. :\

Something my FC leader said made me think...

Y'all realize WoW's patch 5.4 (Siege of Orgimmar) drops September 10, right?

I guarantee you the servers will ease off at that point, even if the server expansion next week doesn't fix it.

(This is just from what I have seen)

Maybe we should head on over to the official forums and talk our "RP" talk to the thousands who have no idea that a few hundred people named Balmung the unofficial RP server. My brother and I found out about the community because we sought the RPC out. It's kind of a staple for any game we play. Of course I wish we could have and official role-playing server. 

I also would LOVE IT if the whole community here could be on the same server. I know it is wrong to ask people to hold off and wait but if it were me on another server I would use the time to learn mechanics read all those quest logs and when Balmung/Gilgamesh opens up hop over there and power through those levels. Guys (ladies too) If we could all stick together and be a dominate population on one server (or two i suppose) the chances of an official RP server being named goes up. Thus making the stories, conflicts, relationships, and general greatness of the role-play experience we can have go from average to dangerously addicting.

:idea: Leveling and gear and all of that needs be on the back-burner of the role-players mind. If not we might as well be join any server we want and look for the "endgameraiderz" *:frustrated:* FC and grind for smexy rawking geer. 

Just my two bits .:bomb:RAAWWR    :arrow::chocobo:            :arrow::cactuar:

For those of you who are frustrated because character creation on Balmung and Gilgamesh are closed off, I understand your frustration and your dilemma, perhaps more now that I've have tried to understand the argument that's being made. Whatever you decide, we undestand that it's not an easy decision. However, what I wanted to point out, just as something for you to keep in mind, is that we actually have two separate problems here.

For those of you who are considering creating a third RP server, I would guess that's because you are stuck in the camp I mentioned previously, that all character creation on our servers is on hold. You feel like you have to decide between waiting for that restriction to be lifted and making a new home somewhere else.

But there's another problem here too. And that is the 1017. There are a lot of us who have created characters on Balmung and Gilgamesh, but it does us no good because we can't get to them. I was getting very frustrated last night because it feels like by the time I get off work, the servers will always be full - I never did get on last night, and I know a lot of others who are having the exact same issue - some are experiencing other bugs and reasons they can't play. And then there's the time you do get on, get some play time, then the game crashes and you get to hang out with 1017 for the rest of the night.

I am NOT telling you this to suggest that our problem is worse than yours. It isn't. On the contrary, I'm hoping this will give you hope. Because I can promise you that the people on Balmung and Gilgamesh are NOT leaving you in the dust. So, what are our options?

For those without a character created, you have three options (as I see it, I may be missing one): a) create a third RP server, b) create a temporary RP server, then consider transfering your characters to Balmung and Gilgamesh when the option is available (do we actually have confirmation that this will happen?), or c) waiting for character creation in Balmung and Gilgamesh to open up.

Those in the 1017 camp, however, already have characters that we have put time and effort into. Our decision is whether to a) go to another server to create a character that we'll probably trash later, b) not play FFXIV at all, or c) sit all night playing the 1017-spam-login game.

What this means is that even if you DO get your character made, you'll likely get to join us in the 1017 camp. It also means that my personal advice is to give us a week before deciding to leave Balmung and Gilgamesh forever. Just a week is all I would ask, because my gut tells me that when they upgrade the servers, both the character creation lock and the 1017 will start to alleviate.

Whether you take my advise is totally up to you. I can't promise that everything will be fine and dandy in 7 days. I wouldn't be surprised if we still have queues (and I'm actually crossing my fingers that they increase the maximum queue size to help avoid 1017 issues). But I personally am more willing to wait 7 days than 30 days (at least that is what I was telling myself last night).

Here's hoping that everything settles itself out, and I'm sorry for rambling. I actually had the epiphany about the two different issues last night and I realized that it might help to remember that everyone is facing the same problem - not being able to play the game we so desperately want to play.

[align=center]:chocobo:    :chocobo:    :chocobo:    :chocobo:

[/align]

Just a little bit to add to lady2beetle's post above...

There's 1017 on all servers, at least at peak hours. Not just Balmung and Gilgamesh.

While we may create characters elsewhere, we still won't be able to play them all that much.

This is the first time in a few years I consider myself lucky to be off work even though it's for health-related reasons, because it means I can log in early (but don't envy me o_O). And play. I'm not gonna log in and afk. Even now I could be logged in "just to be sure" but as long ass I'm browsing forum, I'm not gonna do that.

However there is hope!

We're gonna bigger data centers.

Hopefully we get an auto-kick feature too... but that's not been announced.

Well, if they ever open up some sort of affordable or free server transfer after things settle, I'll go to Balmung as originally planned. But, I'm sorry, I'm not going to wait a week or a month to play a game I've been looking forward to for so long for the slight chance the server MIGHT be available by then. Or might not. Rp is one of my favorite things to do in game, but it's not the only thing I can or want to do in game. So if it has to wait until server transfers or until there's a little RP community on Lamia, so be it.

Hopefully one day, they will make a designated RP server. Frankly, I don't see it happening - games either seem to launch with or without them and that's how they stay - but one never knows. If they do make an official RP server, I hope they offer free transfers there for all of us on different servers that would rather be all together on one designated server. I don't see it happening until after all the release issues and rush are settled though, if ever at all.

Anyway, for now I'm on Lamia. So if anyone else is there, feel free to /friend me. I'm usually playing with my RL husband and might be afk from time to time, as we have a very young infant daughter that is, of course, priority over a game :) but we do like to play in our little bits of free time here and there.