Can someone be a dragoon IC

Keldion

Iiiiii see. I assume you're talking about the origin for Dragoons from Ishguard?

Of all the things that are symbolic of the nation of Ishgard, few are more recognized than the dragoon. Born amidst the timeless conflict between men and dragons, these lance-wielding knights have developed an aerial style of combat, that they might better pierce the scaled hides of their mortal foes.

Taking to the firmament as though it were an extension of the land, they descend upon the enemy with every onze of their bodies behind the blow. It is this penetrative power that characterizes the dragoon.

I think many RPers treat classes more or less the same: Even though there -are- origins and explanations for where some classes come from in different games, most just take it upon themselves to give a good reason why a character has that class. It could be as simple as their race and thus, what they've seen most or been most comfortable with, like Wildwood Archers or it could be something like a Sea Wolf who's been saved by a White Mage and decided to become one too.

For Paladin, they have a backstory relating to the Sultansworn of Ul'dah, but really, anyone who can pick up a shield and a sword and has some proficiency at either bashing skulls in and tanking or some lesser healing or warding spells would be able to do a Paladin.

Dragoons, by definition and in FFXIV were 'originally' cavalry people and the people in Ishgard needed to fight dragons, thus, needing to, I assume, take to the skies. Lances are one of the better weapons to use while mounted because things like axes and swords take swinging and sometimes have short range and things like arrows don't do as much damage and require a great deal of accuracy and horsemanship. Lances and spears also had the added benefit (from what I read about some Japanese samurai and their spear usage/super long-swords-of-doom like Sephiroth's) of, if you're dismounted against another mounted soldier, you can brace one end against the ground and aim the other for a mount riding down on you to kill it or at least cause it to shake off the rider, or reach a mounted soldier from the ground and dismount them as well.

If your character has a reason to use a lance, they can become a dragoon. Full plate and a spear is a rather good combo-- you've got both the range combined with raw power -and- a level of protection given that spears and lances have no edges to deflect powerful blows.

It's sort of dependent on whether or not you want to be a Dragoon by taking their armor and weapons into account or a Dragoon based on where SE decided to set them up from.

Monks, as another example, are probably not always played by people who are religious or devout or even disciplined so often as people who want strong fist-fighters with additional skills.

Hope I didn't over answer. If I did, mayhaps I should ask for more specifics, please? On what is bothering you about their history.

Iiiiii see. I assume you're talking about the origin for Dragoons from Ishguard?

Of all the things that are symbolic of the nation of Ishgard, few are more recognized than the dragoon. Born amidst the timeless conflict between men and dragons, these lance-wielding knights have developed an aerial style of combat, that they might better pierce the scaled hides of their mortal foes.

Taking to the firmament as though it were an extension of the land, they descend upon the enemy with every onze of their bodies behind the blow. It is this penetrative power that characterizes the dragoon.

I think many RPers treat classes more or less the same: Even though there -are- origins and explanations for where some classes come from in different games, most just take it upon themselves to give a good reason why a character has that class. It could be as simple as their race and thus, what they've seen most or been most comfortable with, like Wildwood Archers or it could be something like a Sea Wolf who's been saved by a White Mage and decided to become one too.

For Paladin, they have a backstory relating to the Sultansworn of Ul'dah, but really, anyone who can pick up a shield and a sword and has some proficiency at either bashing skulls in and tanking or some lesser healing or warding spells would be able to do a Paladin.

Dragoons, by definition and in FFXIV were 'originally' cavalry people and the people in Ishgard needed to fight dragons, thus, needing to, I assume, take to the skies. Lances are one of the better weapons to use while mounted because things like axes and swords take swinging and sometimes have short range and things like arrows don't do as much damage and require a great deal of accuracy and horsemanship. Lances and spears also had the added benefit (from what I read about some Japanese samurai and their spear usage/super long-swords-of-doom like Sephiroth's) of, if you're dismounted against another mounted soldier, you can brace one end against the ground and aim the other for a mount riding down on you to kill it or at least cause it to shake off the rider, or reach a mounted soldier from the ground and dismount them as well.

If your character has a reason to use a lance, they can become a dragoon. Full plate and a spear is a rather good combo-- you've got both the range combined with raw power -and- a level of protection given that spears and lances have no edges to deflect powerful blows.

It's sort of dependent on whether or not you want to be a Dragoon by taking their armor and weapons into account or a Dragoon based on where SE decided to set them up from.

Monks, as another example, are probably not always played by people who are religious or devout or even disciplined so often as people who want strong fist-fighters with additional skills.

Hope I didn't over answer. If I did, mayhaps I should ask for more specifics, please? On what is bothering you about their history.

You answered perfectly. Cheers.

My Miqo'vigilan'te is gonna be a Dragoon, and it's all about using a spear and jumping all over the city. It won't have aaaaaaaaaanything to do with the "official" Dragoon story.

Do what you want and as long as it makes sense I think you'll be just fine. ^^

Sorry, got this image in my head:

Awf45u6zrP0

In case you're wondering, yes, the cat was fine.

My Miqo'vigilan'te is gonna be a Dragoon, and it's all about using a spear and jumping all over the city. It won't have aaaaaaaaaanything to do with the "official" Dragoon story.

Awf45u6zrP0

That's probably what Azyria's first attempt looked like!

Awf45u6zrP0

Actually, I was curious.

And I'm fairly certain this is how all Dragoons first attempt is like.  Which....is amusing to think of.

You probably can't be a Dragoon-the-title without actually being part of the Dragoon force from Ishgard, but you could have the skills of one, absolutely.

Not getting into the... questionable nature of The Last Samurai, you technically could be foreign and a samurai, provided that you were actually, you know. A samurai, as opposed to someone dressed like one with the skills of one.

You probably can't be a Dragoon-the-title without actually being part of the Dragoon force from Ishgard, but you could have the skills of one, absolutely.

Not to the level of the dragoon job. The game does a poor job translating the story line into multiplayer interaction. The only way to do all of the crazy awesome dragoon skills is to be chosen by the Eye. According to the main dragoon story line, you're the only outsider chosen by the Eye since ever. So unless you're born in Ishgard it's going to be hard to convince me IC that you are what you say you are. Want to be really good at using a lance and just play the dragoon class because it's the natural progression from lancer? Fine by me. Want to tell me you're an actual dragoon but you're not from Ishgard? That's going to quirk some eyebrows. Especially since OOC I'm completely obsessed with Ishgard lore, and IC I RP a born-and-bred knight of noble blood from one of the four High Houses of the city-state.

Just a fair warning. Play what you want, but be able to back it up for when the Lore Police show up.

The lore says that of a lot of advanced classes - first one since ever. People will adapt to the restrictions in different ways. It's fine to stick to it very strictly (I personally prefer to, too), but not everyone has to. Nobody needs to back anything up to the Lore Police.

That being said, I stand corrected - not the skills of a dragoon specifically, but dragoon-like skills, at least. The moves, but little else. Although, one can consider that it is possible for a foreigner to be chosen by the Eye - just extremely rare - so if someone wanted to say they were chosen, they technically could. Again, I myself would not, but I wouldn't judge if someone chose to play it from that angle, either.

I thought that there was a legendary Dragoon that was more special than the rest, but there's still an army of, uh, "generic" Dragoons, at the lack of a better word. Can't any player imagine that they're just one of the many Dragoons that form their army? Or is it that Ishgard doesn't accept foreigners in their files? Perhaps I misunderstood, but I read somewhere that Ishgard was opening itself a bit more since it needed more people (?).

(And just for the record, this is not about me but about a friend who wants to play a Miqo'te who joins the Dragoon army. I'd like to know if it's completely impossible for him).

I thought that there was a legendary Dragoon that was more special than the rest, but there's still an army of, uh, "generic" Dragoons, at the lack of a better word. Can't any player imagine that they're just one of the many Dragoons that form their army? Or is it that Ishgard doesn't accept foreigners in their files? Perhaps I misunderstood, but I read somewhere that Ishgard was opening itself a bit more since it needed more people (?).

(And just for the record, this is not about me but about a friend who wants to play a Miqo'te who joins the Dragoon army. I'd like to know if it's completely impossible for him).

Regarding the special dragoon thing. That's why I said you can't have all the special skills dragoons have without being chosen by the Eye. That's what I was referring to. There are plenty of "dragoons" all over the place in Coerthas. Many of which don't even use lances. There's a quest where you have to talk to some dragoons near Behemoth's Dominion and they have chainmail, swords, and shields. I may not have made that clear. I was sleep deprived and rambling.

Also, Ishgard doesn't like foreigners. As for this opening itself up thing, I heard that somewhere too, but I find it unlikely because, well, quest there a bit and see how eager they are to let foreigners into their ranks. They won't even talk to my character and he's supposed to be a super awesome special snowflake according to the main plot line. 

So there is some piece of lore out there claiming they're training people up, but I think that's square's half-assed attempt at getting dragoons to make sense in a multiplayer world. I've never so much as seen a miqo'te NPC in Coerthas, let alone seen miqo'te dragoons.

But I'm not here to rain on parades. If someone can make it work, they're at liberty to try for sure. I'm just letting everyone know that the Ishgard lore is a pretty tight net and there's not much room for imagination there. I've pretty much had to turn my character into a quest NPC to make him work. Not everyone's as lore-intensive as I am, and that's totally fine, but the character should at least make sense. I won't go around calling people out for stretching the lore a bit, but I am opposed to flat out breaking it.

Thank you for your reply! Though, I admit I'm still slightly confused.

My friend's Miqo'te is not a Dragoon. He simply wants to become one in the story; you could say it's his main goal. Just for the record, neither he nor I want to spit on the lore. Quite the contrary, we love playing within the correct context. I just wondered if a character eventually joining the dragoon ranks was a possibility, even if they weren't born wherever it is that most Dragoons have been born in (?).

If the lore itself states how they're training people up, even if some of them are foreigners, then perhaps it'd work? If not, then I guess he can at least try and have his dream denied. I just want to be certain that it's absolutely impossible, otherwise, spitting on the lore would be for him to be unable to join the Dragoon ranks, while other strangers are.

I definitely agree with Uther here. There's a very specific set of criteria for becoming a proper Dragoon by lore standards. There are many, many ways to make a character who fits the Dragoon archetype of a heavily armed spearman, but making an honest to lore Dragoon has a set of criteria that most just can't plausibly fit. I can be done! But please do it right.

Dogberry, for example, learned to use a spear on board a whaling ship where heavy armor is pretty unreasonable. (Even though Marauders wear it. Dogberry thinks they're all crazy.) He will seldom use heavy armor, but you bet he'll know how to jump like crazy. Jumping from boat to boat, or occasionally from boat to giant sea creature, goes with the territory. But even though he's a spearman who can jump like a freak, he is not, and will never be a Dragoon even if he parades around in fancy armor. Maybe he'd have made a wonderful Dragoon, but it just wasn't in the cards for him, and he has no interest of ever joining their ranks. It's entirely likely that any Dragoon who saw him fight would see his style as a bastardization of their art. That would actually make for some awesome RP. Dragoon is an OOC class that I have to play to make the character do what I want him to do. It's not something Dogberry would ever claim to be.

If the lore itself states how they're training people up, even if some of them are foreigners, then perhaps it'd work? If not, then I guess he can at least try and have his dream denied. I just want to be certain that it's absolutely impossible, otherwise, spitting on the lore would be for him to be unable to join the Dragoon ranks, while other strangers are.

I can definitely jive with that. I'd say Ishgard opening its gates is an inevitability and us having access to the area in game is a matter of time. Personally, I'd wait until then and the lore releases that come with it, but I'd say you've got a good concept for a capital D Dragoon that leaves lots of room for a clear character development arc to role play.

Thank you for your reply! Though, I admit I'm still slightly confused.

My friend's Miqo'te is not a Dragoon. He simply wants to become one in the story; you could say it's his main goal. Just for the record, neither he nor I want to spit on the lore. Quite the contrary, we love playing within the correct context. I just wondered if a character eventually joining the dragoon ranks was a possibility, even if they weren't born wherever it is that most Dragoons have been born in (?).

Well, the idea of Ishgard opening its gates is pretty much an inevitability, as Dogberry pointed out. By both lore and gameplay standards. They're freezing, they're dying, and their war is only getting worse. Plus, people want to see more content for it. 

It's definitely possible for someone to have a dream of becoming a dragoon, though I wouldn't start calling myself one personally until the gates officially open. There's no problem with saying like "I spent a lot of time in Coerthas, trying to make connections, in hopes that they'll let me into Ishgard. I picked up a lot of useful skills along the way." etc etc. But yes, it's definitely possible to one day be a real dragoon. The game's lore just hasn't allowed it yet for those not of Ishgardian blood.

The real question you have to ask yourself (or he has to ask himself) is why the character wants to be a dragoon. Sure, it's sweet to jump around on dragons and whatever, but the actual dragoons aren't going to freely give their skills out to someone who isn't a follower of Halone or has no real stake in their war. It's just something to think about.

I hope your friend finds some stable ground to stand on as far as lore is concerned. It sounds like this character would be interesting for mine to RP with once he's got his background set up.

That would actually make for some awesome RP.

I'm always open for some interesting takes on the dragoon class in RP. (Though I'm temporarily shying away from RP a little bit, as I'm still waiting on my Phial of Fantasia so I can race change. Don't want to confuse people.)

You mentioned earlier about real dragoons seeing it as a bastardization of their art form. Uther is a very proud Ishgardian Dragoon, but he also recognizes talent when he sees it. I imagine if he saw Dogberry in combat, his response would be along the lines of:

obama-not-bad.jpeg

Well, the idea of Ishgard opening its gates is pretty much an inevitability, as Dogberry pointed out. By both lore and gameplay standards. They're freezing, they're dying, and their war is only getting worse. Plus, people want to see more content for it. 

It's definitely possible for someone to have a dream of becoming a dragoon, though I wouldn't start calling myself one personally until the gates officially open. There's no problem with saying like "I spent a lot of time in Coerthas, trying to make connections, in hopes that they'll let me into Ishgard. I picked up a lot of useful skills along the way." etc etc. But yes, it's definitely possible to one day be a real dragoon. The game's lore just hasn't allowed it yet for those not of Ishgardian blood.

The real question you have to ask yourself (or he has to ask himself) is why the character wants to be a dragoon. Sure, it's sweet to jump around on dragons and whatever, but the actual dragoons aren't going to freely give their skills out to someone who isn't a follower of Halone or has no real stake in their war. It's just something to think about.

I hope your friend finds some stable ground to stand on as far as lore is concerned. It sounds like this character would be interesting for mine to RP with once he's got his background set up.

Thank you again for the reply! I feel that I have a more clear idea of the situation now. Since I haven't seen the whole game yet, I didn't know you couldn't visit Ishgard.

The idea of him simply going to Coerthas and doing his best to learn and train, hoping to be accepted in the ranks someday, works perfectly well. What matters isn't actually if he's officially a dragoon but that he's working hard to become one. So yes, I'm relieved to know that his context can work ^^

As for his reasons to be so passionate about Dragoons, from what I've understood, the first seed was sown when the powerful Bahamut almost destroyed Eorzea. Most of his tribe was wiped out that night, so my friend's Miqo'te sees dragons as the biggest threat. We're also considering the possibility of him eventually meeting a real Dragoon, who might become the figure which ultimately inspires him. There was nothing he could do during the Calamity; he was just a small, insignificant being. He regards the Dragoon army as the strength he lacks, and as the ultimate way to defeat his personal enemies. In the end, my friend's character is still an idealist who has a lot to learn.

As for his reasons to be so passionate about Dragoons, from what I've understood, the first seed was sown when the powerful Bahamut almost destroyed Eorzea. Most of his tribe was wiped out that night, so my friend's Miqo'te sees dragons as the biggest threat. We're also considering the possibility of him eventually meeting a real Dragoon, who might become the figure which ultimately inspires him. There was nothing he could do during the Calamity; he was just a small, insignificant being. He regards the Dragoon army as the strength he lacks, and as the ultimate way to defeat his personal enemies. In the end, my friend's character is still an idealist who has a lot to learn.

Sure, that makes sense. Bahamut is technically a Dragon King, and if you're going to take out a Dragon King, you might as well learn from the professional dragon killers. As for meeting a real dragoon. They're rare to find outside of Coerthas. I don't know if you're thinking of making up a fake dragoon or tying the story in with another player, but there are at least three Ishgardian Dragoons that I know of out there in the Balmung RPC, myself included, if you're considering going that route. I can't speak for the others, but I don't mind having Uther mentioned in someone's back story at all. So if that's up your alley, feel free to throw me a PM. Of course I won't be offended if that's not something you're interested in doing. Happy to help in any way I can.

Sure, that makes sense. Bahamut is technically a Dragon King, and if you're going to take out a Dragon King, you might as well learn from the professional dragon killers. As for meeting a real dragoon. They're rare to find outside of Coerthas. I don't know if you're thinking of making up a fake dragoon or tying the story in with another player, but there are at least three Ishgardian Dragoons that I know of out there in the Balmung RPC, myself included, if you're considering going that route. I can't speak for the others, but I don't mind having Uther mentioned in someone's back story at all. So if that's up your alley, feel free to throw me a PM. Of course I won't be offended if that's not something you're interested in doing. Happy to help in any way I can.

That'd be so cool! Meeting a Dragoon is something that would help his story a lot, so I think it's great if the Dragoon is a real character like yours instead of a random faceless NPC he could make up for the sake of plot >_<

The problem with my friend is that he's too embarrassed to RP in English (we're both Spanish), but since this would be a backstory and not a scene he'd have to RP in real time, I think we could make it work perfectly well. I'll PM you about it to work on the possible details if it's alright.

Just for the record, in case you ever see him in-game, his name is F'yue Tia. I wish he was more willing to learn English and even post in this forum, as I feel he's going to miss out on a lot...