The Grindstone

YesGood

[align=center] "We are both the weapon and the whetstone."[/align]

[align=center]---[/align]

War, devastation, loss. These things things are as indescribably horrible as they are inevitable in this new era and in so many past. They lurk like dark promises when Menphina is on the rise; likewise they plague our thoughts even in the most glaring light of day. As mortals we love and we lose; we gain and we suffer. These trials that affect all of us in some way or another can do one of two things:

They can mold us... or they can break us.

There are those of us who trudge through our lives; who try to ignore the darkness on our doorsteps, just outside the realm of our consciousness, hiding behind hollow laughter and the innumerable distractions of our days. There are others of us who seek that conflict, eager to reap from the spoils of chaos and profit from bloodshed. Distrust still breeds, multiplying, focused on our innocents as well as our corrupt, driving vast chasms between us.

Misfortune breeds jealousy, animosity, and fear.

But those veterans of hardship and survivors of conflict, thought by many to be the most savage of us, know the truth - conflict brings us together. Those men and women who treat the training grounds like sacred sites, worshipping through their sacrifice in blood and their dedication to perfection, know that there is a kinship found in arms. We look to each other to learn, to grow stronger, to press on without trying to deny the existence of the darkness outside or within our walls. We ask nothing of each other, we care little for the histories of our would-be brethren, who they've been or who they've wronged; we know only that in that rigorous practice there is promise. 

The promise of change and of strength. 

We do not wait for others to step up and protect that which we hold dear; we spend every spare moment carving the knowledge we need into the very fibers of our being. We do not wait to be forged in the crucible of devastation; we strive to defeat the inevitable before it has a chance to find us lacking. We do not love war and what it brings... but we will become masters of it. Whether it is for fame and glory, for money, to preserve those we love and all we hold dear - the goals of fighters matter not to us, only that we might pit ourselves against those masters of the arts in fair conflict and rise higher than we have ever been.

We are here for one another. Brothers and sisters of sweat and steel.

We are both the weapon and the whetstone, pitting ourselves against our friends and rivals, teaching while we learn. To those who wish to teach, acquire, or test their skills, we welcome you to join us on the neutral field, within the sanctity of our own city-states in order to prepare for what is outside them.

All are welcome to sharpen their edges against us on the training field, for we are the Grindstone, and you are your own weapon.

[align=center]---[/align]

(The Grindstone is an unofficial coalition of fighters; armed or unarmed, novice or master, pit-fighter or soldier - we honestly don't care. This is a group for individuals seeking to try out their RP combat skills against like-minded people, to create new alliances and rivalries, and to further develop their characters. In an effort to keep the much-feared duel-drama to a minimum, there are some rules and restrictions; otherwise anyone is free to come and go as they please.)

This LS will be used predominantly for In-Character communications. For OOC conversations, please use parentheses. For information regarding the corresponding Free Company, please visit our website.

Our preset dates for meeting will be after 10 pm EST (7 pm PST) on Wednesdays (Training) and Saturdays (Tournaments) at Fesca's Wash outside of Ul'dah in Central Thanalan until further notice. 

'The Grindstone' Linkshell is for spectators and Overseers only.

'Grindstone Coalition' is for individuals who aim to fight or heal.

Tournaments are announced in both Linkshells for the benefit of spectators as well as participants.

----

*The icon used for this LS was created by the marvelous Torn Sky.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good and is well organized. One question did dawn on me while reading over: Is the LS for IC communications, OOC communications, or both? Also, a small suggestion might be for 'reasons to join' perhaps someone could come by as a medic/healer for tending to the fighters afterward if they need it.

Looks good and is well organized. One question did dawn on me while reading over: Is the LS for IC communications, OOC communications, or both? Also, a small suggestion might be for 'reasons to join' perhaps someone could come by as a medic/healer for tending to the fighters afterward if they need it.

I admit, I was under the impression Linkshells were like guilds even though I -knew- that they were more or less channels. e.e; Silly me. This is for IC communication predominantly; if anyone has conversations that aren't IC they'll probably be in parenthesis.

Also I will add that right in there. Thank you for bringing up the healer thing.

I'm totally down for this kind of thing. Just one question, in fights, how are we going to know what lands? I was under the impression that FFXIV doesn't have a /roll function.

There isn't a roll function, I realize now. If it's okay with everyone, I'm going to go with Nahv'ir's suggestion of using rolz.org. The page we'll use is http://rolz.org/group and we'll use The Grindstone as the room. I'll reiterate-- This is only for official matches and events and if there's a better way, we can do that. But in an effort to make sure it's fair and it's not a prescribed win or loss, this roll thing will be helpful.

I'm definitely fine with using any kind of impartial system, so an out of game RNG is fine, preferably if  the results are viewable by both sides. I can go by the honor system fine, but the more transparent the resolution mechanic, the more comfortable I think it will be for everyone.

Edit: Whicih it looks like rolz.org is, so that works fine by me.

I'm definitely fine with using any kind of impartial system, so an out of game RNG is fine, preferably if  the results are viewable by both sides. I can go by the honor system fine, but the more transparent the resolution mechanic, the more comfortable I think it will be for everyone.

I share your feelings on this. The only people who need to be in the room are the competitors and their Overseer. Everyone else can just be surprised. ^.^;

Rolz.org allows anyone with the room name to join in so you can also have the Overseers join. While we'd (people in general) hope everyone would just be honest: It's best to have a ref/overseer present as well. Though, as to the main question: yes, you will be able to see all other rolls done in the room.

You can also tag your rolls, in 2 v 2 (or more) it's common to put

Miah: /1d100 #Attack @ Nahv'ir

Nahv'ir: /1d100 #Defense @ Miah

Helps so that people know where the attack is going and the defense for if the in-game text if flying by too much with other players. Helps the ref keep tabs on HP counts or hit counts as well.

Rolz.org allows anyone with the room name to join in so you can also have the Overseers join to watch the rolls as well as anyone else witnessing. While we'd hope everyone would just be honest: It's best to have a ref/overseer present as well. Though, if two people are fighting - yes you will be able to see each others rolls.

You can also tag them, in 2 v 2 it's common to put

Miah:    /1d100 #Attack @ Nahv'ir

Nahv'ir: /1d100 #Defense @Miah

Helps so that people know where the attack is going and the defense for if the in-game text if flying by too much with other players. Helps the ref keep tabs on HP counts as well or hit counts.

Oh ho? Awesome. Maybe we should use a 100, I dunno why I automatically thought 20.

Nahv'ir, thank you so much for all the help. I really appreciate it. Now I'm starting to worry that I should make a website but I don't want too many things for people to have to look through for just a LS.

May I copy the Miah: - Nahv'ir:- thing as an example in the directory page?

Oh ho? Awesome. Maybe we should use a 100, I dunno why I automatically thought 20.

Nahv'ir, thank you so much for all the help. I really appreciate it. Now I'm starting to worry that I should make a website but I don't want too many things for people to have to look through for just a LS.

1d100 or 1d20 will still have the same odds so completely up to you. Reason a 1d100 was used in my experiences was because there was an added crit/counter bonus for if you doubled (I'll explain in a spoiler that method as to not make this too long)

Basically what you have with:

Atk > Def = Hit.

Def > Atk = Defended, however, not countered.

But each player was given an equal amount of hit points, usually 10 or 5.

Then it went into if Atk was > double the defense (Ex: Atk: 30, Def, 12) Then it counted as two HP was taken. (crit)

If Def was > double the attack (Ex: Def 98, Atk: 34) Then the person defended themselves while also countering and automatically taking one HP from the attacker. (counter)

Both styles have their benefits between not having a crit/counter bonus system and doing so. It's usually easier to not have it in place and can be looked at as more 'fair' since if someone crits/counters often, you're dying pretty fast. But on the other hand, it helps with someone who is 'behind' on their numbers to catch up with the luck of crit/counter.

Figured I would explain it out though, never know!

And certainly if you like you can use the Miah/Nahv'ir reference. I think as long as people are getting the necessary information here: a website isn't fully needed unless you plan to run tournaments and keep tabs on everyone's rank to display (though a thread could easily serve as that function) But that is up to you and your free time.

1d100 or 1d20 will still have the same odds so completely up to you. Reason a 1d100 was used before was because there was an added crit/counter bonus for if you doubled (I'll explain in a spoiler that method as to not make this too long)

Basically what you have with:

Atk > Def = Hit.

Def > Atk = Defended, however, not countered.

But each player was given an equal amount of hit points, usually 10 or 5.

Then it went into if Atk was > double the defense (Ex: Atk: 30, Def, 12) Then it counted as two HP was taken. (crit)

If Def was > double the attack (Ex: Def 98, Atk: 34) Then the person defended themselves while also countering and automatically taking one HP from the attacker. (counter)

Both styles have their benefits between not having a crit/counter bonus system and doing so. It's usually easier to not have it in place and can be looked at as more 'fair' since if someone crits/counters often, you're dying pretty fast. But on the other hand, it helps with someone who is 'behind' on their numbers to catch up with the luck of crit/counter.

Figured I would explain it out though, never know!

And certainly if you like you can use the Miah/Nahv'ir reference. I think as long as people are getting the necessary information here: a website isn't fully needed unless you plan to run tournaments and keep tabs on everyone's rank to display (though a thread could easily serve as that function) But that is up to you and your free time.

Like someone suggested we use racial bonuses (to speed, strength, etc) I'm very concerned about things becoming too complicated. Before we hold an event I hope we can get a couple people who'll try out sparring matches using the rolling system as though they were doing an event match. I'd like to see if there are any difficulties that crop up from the way it's done and see how they feel about it in action. I'd also like to gauge how long it might take in case we might have to cap how many entrants can join in for one event at one time.

Like someone suggested we use racial bonuses (to speed, strength, etc) I'm very concerned about things becoming too complicated. Before we hold an event I hope we can get a couple people who'll try out sparring matches using the rolling system as though they were doing an event match. I'd like to see if there are any difficulties that crop up from the way it's done and see how they feel about it in action. I'd also like to gauge how long it might take in case we might have to cap how many entrants can join in for one event at one time.

I personally think adding racial benefits, although logical, will end up with more complications down the line and complaints versus not having it in place. I understand that a Lalafell is merely a football to a Roe, but then the poor Lalafell would most likely lose just because of race. If a fight is unmatched or silly: it can still be amusing. I have had my character in another game KO'd by a girl tripping and hitting him with a frying pan because my roll was lower and that was my last HP.

The less complicated the system: the more likely people won't feel intimidated. If it gets too above and beyond - people start to not even want to try due to the confusion of it. I wouldn't mind doing some training rounds with the rolling system to help out with figuring that out.

Some of the timing matters will also be based upon pairings and how much each person types. Some will make their actions simple, others will go full detail. If there are many people participating: could always group off and have, say, four groups running at the same time (8 contestants) then the winners of those fight winners (down to 4) so that time wise, you're moving forward faster rather than one fight at a time. (Though for this, I recommend making more rooms in rolz.org instead of everyone in one)

I wouldn't mind helping out or doing training /roll fights to see how they go and gauge the fights. Will toss you a friend request in game if you're on.

(/great wall of text)

I personally think adding racial benefits, although logical, will end up with more complications down the line and complaints versus not having it in place. I understand that a Lalafell is merely a football to a Roe, but then the poor Lalafell would most likely lose just because of race. If a fight is unmatched or silly: it can still be amusing. I have had my character in another game KO'd by a girl tripping and hitting him with a frying pan because my roll was lower and that was my last HP.

The less complicated the system: the more likely people won't feel intimidated. If it gets too above and beyond - people start to not even want to try due to the confusion of it. I wouldn't mind doing some training rounds with the rolling system to help out with figuring that out.

Some of the timing matters will also be based upon pairings and how much each person types. Some will make their actions simple, others will go full detail. If there are many people participating: could always group off and have, say, four groups running at the same time (8 contestants) then the winners of those fight winners (down to 4) so that time wise, you're moving forward faster rather than one fight at a time. (Though for this, I recommend making more rooms in rolz.org instead of everyone in one)

I wouldn't mind helping out or doing training /roll fights to see how they go and gauge the fights. Will toss you a friend request in game if you're on.

(/great wall of text)

I just finished enjoying a great bowl of cheese for some reason. Cravings are no bueno.

It was actually ravioli.

ANYHOW, I will pop on soon and go ahead and add you. I'm wondering if I should start looking for people OOCly to fill the Overseer slots. I'd like to have a healthy number of them and while I don't mind some of them being leaders or officers of other LSs/FCs, I'd mostly like to keep it to unbiased people who have plenty of time and interest.

Just to clarify, from what I gathered from the other post, Rolling is strictly optional right?

Absolutely except in events. I would really rather not have people have to pick who is going to win, then let someone else win, and so on and so forth because it just doesn't sit well with me. Even in official sparring matches if both people agree to it not rolling and they know who they want to win, I suppose I can accept it.

But not in events.

Just to clarify, from what I gathered from the other post, Rolling is strictly optional right?

Absolutely except in events. I would really rather not have people have to pick who is going to win, then let someone else win, and so on and so forth because it just doesn't sit well with me. Even in official sparring matches if both people agree to it not rolling and they know who they want to win, I suppose I can accept it.

But not in events.

Thats not what I mean at all. Dang, I'm guessing this might not be what I'm looking for afterall. I'm moreso talking about oldschool freeform combat. I posted a link about it in the other thread, with a ton of rules towards it and what not. Dunno if you gave it a read through or not but I can post it again here if you're confused by what I mean!

But not in events.

Thats not what I mean at all. Dang, I'm guessing this might not be what I'm looking for afterall. I'm moreso talking about oldschool freeform combat. I posted a link about it in the other thread, with a ton of rules towards it and what not. Dunno if you gave it a read through or not but I can post it again here if you're confused by what I mean!

Oh my! I'm sorry! Sure, go ahead, post a link here or feel free to PM me. I hope I'm not just misunderstanding you.

But not in events.

Oh my! I'm sorry! Sure, go ahead, post a link here or feel free to PM me. I hope I'm not just misunderstanding you.

This is the link, Written by a few people whom have been doing freeform for years, the one who's deviantart it's under who helped write is also coming to the game soon. http://thetonyexperience.deviantart.com/journal/RP-Combat-Butt-Kicking-101-271544659

I see people might not enjoy this style over rolling or vice versa, Maybe there can be two seperate divisions or something? I'm one of those people who really enjoy strategy and such, so it's moreso for the challenge of testing myself as well as the IC aspect to it then just simply going into fights for the IC prospect. Like I said, I know thats not for everyone but I think so long as there are trusted people who're watching the fights anyways, they can easily OOCly ref them aswell to make sure everything runs smoothly and that there are no OOC fights that most people dislike with roleplay conflict.

I've been doing it for a long time myself so, if you needed help with any of that, I know I can help.

But not in events.

The problem with rolling is that it takes almost, if not all of the skill from combat. With rolling the outcome is random, but with free form, you are able to establish a winner, based on that players skill in combat. 

But not in events.

But not in events.

This is the link, Written by a few people whom have been doing freeform for years, the one who's deviantart it's under who helped write is also coming to the game soon. http://thetonyexperience.deviantart.com/journal/RP-Combat-Butt-Kicking-101-271544659

I see people might not enjoy this style over rolling or vice versa, Maybe there can be two seperate divisions or something? I'm one of those people who really enjoy strategy and such, so it's moreso for the challenge of testing myself as well as the IC aspect to it then just simply going into fights for the IC prospect. Like I said, I know thats not for everyone but I think so long as there are trusted people who're watching the fights anyways, they can easily OOCly ref them aswell to make sure everything runs smoothly and that there are no OOC fights that most people dislike with roleplay conflict.

I've been doing it for a long time myself so, if you needed help with any of that, I know I can help.

Oh, I did read this and enjoyed it.

Let's see... Rule 11 is where I was pretty much hoping we were going. In the sense of 'when used properly...'

To explain: I was only implementing the roll system for the events, to take the outcome based more off chance between people of roughly equivalent level of skills. It's more or less entirely what the ranking system is based off of.

HOWEVER, there are plenty of people who enjoy free-form RP and I'm willing to cater to those people by allowing them to fight against one another in separate, equivalent events, if you -want- to gain prestige this way. All the training otherwise, sparring and what not, can be completely free-form. If there are going to be any disputes about who wins a fight, however, I'd have to ask for rolling simply because the two are having a lot of issues that could create a lot of out of character anger or frustration which may only be because their characters are on par with one another in their level of skill ICly.

Some people might be more comfortable with using the rolling for events (and by events, I don't mean just the days we show up to spar with one another, I mean the events where you move up from Intermediate to Master where there will likely be prizes and gambling) and for those people, they can use the system and go by that rule-set.

If there are enough people who are comfortable with free-form, and I'm an advocate of more people learning it and implementing it, to make sure that one person who does it isn't, by default, just moving up the ranks, then I'm completely okay with that and I'll edit the rules to reflect as much.

Is that okay with you?

@Oroban Yosh! Punchers do punch and we have a punching bag named Jael'li.

---

I agree, papabadger, that free form is based on skill and rolling does take -some- skill out of the equation. I implemented the ranking system for people to fight others -of equivalent skill-. The problem I have is, if it's entirely free form then it takes the people to decide when to concede and stop trying to block, dodge, or counter attack. Where does it end? When one person takes a knock out blow or finally concedes defeat. This, to me, is perfectly fine all the time but it has a lot of frightful potential in -events- where there are -winnings-.

If people start getting a little too ambitious, fights break out where one person is telling someone else that what they did isn't going to work for 'blah blah' reason. I can't fairly say that someone is going to lose based on how bad their grammar is, for instance, so 'skill' gets muddled. It takes the character with less skill to -act- as though they have less skill and that's assuming that everyone doesn't come in as a super-pro master.

Another thing that I fear with free-forming with strangers is how long it can go on. I've had fights that lasted, literally, hours; so long that people by-standing got bored and walked off, then came back and were like 'Wow, you guys are still at it?'. It's hard to run an event that way if everyone's waiting for everyone else to finish their fight so that they can start and I admit, from personal experience, it's really easy to get caught up in 1v1 fighting and completely lose track of time.

I want to try to to block as much of the OOC drama of fighting as humanly possible by setting up a general rule-set. I encourage people to get to the point where they can comfortably free form without the need of rolling or any extraneous decision-making detail-- but they have to learn first and rolls are a good way to start. A step away from rolling is, since you'd already be accustomed to knowing how and when to block, choosing to take the hits that you simply cannot defend against instead of going with the instinctual desire to preserve oneself by any means necessary even if it means bending your character into a pretzel that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

S'all I'm saying. I'm not saying rolls are better because they mean you're better, I know there's a level of chance involved and that's why I only intended to use it for people of relatively equal rank. So to reiterate-- if there are enough of you who want to only do free-form for events and official matches, that's perfectly fine with me and I'll add it to the rules.

But do you really want to use that against someone who admits they don't know what they're doing or they're not yet entirely comfortable with their level of skill in combat RP? In an event, won't it slow you down to have to correct them and rewrite posts?

Part of my hope for this is to see people doing -more- combat RP in all kinds of situations and I'd like people to eventually get to the point where they can free form without reservation or concern or fighting. Verbal. Fighting.

Punching bags with names are bad, you might end up feeling pity for them! Or hit them harder, if you're that kind of person. :lol:

I just like punching. I'm the kind of nerd who'll research real combat and try to base roleplayed fighting off of something tangible. With the fantastic elements of the setting woven in too, you can't forget those!

Punching bags with names are bad, you might end up feeling pity for them! Or hit them harder, if you're that kind of person. :lol:

I just like punching. I'm the kind of nerd who'll research real combat and try to base roleplayed fighting off of something tangible. With the fantastic elements of the setting woven in too, you can't forget those!

I'm the same way! Martial arts is a passion of mine which I try to employ in RP combat. It's all about the visualization!

But not in events.

Oh, I did read this and enjoyed it.

Let's see... Rule 11 is where I was pretty much hoping we were going. In the sense of 'when used properly...'

To explain: I was only implementing the roll system for the events, to take the outcome based more off chance between people of roughly equivalent level of skills. It's more or less entirely what the ranking system is based off of.

HOWEVER, there are plenty of people who enjoy free-form RP and I'm willing to cater to those people by allowing them to fight against one another in separate, equivalent events, if you -want- to gain prestige this way. All the training otherwise, sparring and what not, can be completely free-form. If there are going to be any disputes about who wins a fight, however, I'd have to ask for rolling simply because the two are having a lot of issues that could create a lot of out of character anger or frustration which may only be because their characters are on par with one another in their level of skill ICly.

Some people might be more comfortable with using the rolling for events (and by events, I don't mean just the days we show up to spar with one another, I mean the events where you move up from Intermediate to Master where there will likely be prizes and gambling) and for those people, they can use the system and go by that rule-set.

If there are enough people who are comfortable with free-form, and I'm an advocate of more people learning it and implementing it, to make sure that one person who does it isn't, by default, just moving up the ranks, then I'm completely okay with that and I'll edit the rules to reflect as much.

Is that okay with you?

@Oroban Yosh! Punchers do punch and we have a punching bag named Jael'li.

---

I agree, papabadger, that free form is based on skill and rolling does take -some- skill out of the equation. I implemented the ranking system for people to fight others -of equivalent skill-. The problem I have is, if it's entirely free form then it takes the people to decide when to concede and stop trying to block, dodge, or counter attack. Where does it end? When one person takes a knock out blow or finally concedes defeat. This, to me, is perfectly fine all the time but it has a lot of frightful potential in -events- where there are -winnings-.

If people start getting a little too ambitious, fights break out where one person is telling someone else that what they did isn't going to work for 'blah blah' reason. I can't fairly say that someone is going to lose based on how bad their grammar is, for instance, so 'skill' gets muddled. It takes the character with less skill to -act- as though they have less skill and that's assuming that everyone doesn't come in as a super-pro master.

Another thing that I fear with free-forming with strangers is how long it can go on. I've had fights that lasted, literally, hours; so long that people by-standing got bored and walked off, then came back and were like 'Wow, you guys are still at it?'. It's hard to run an event that way if everyone's waiting for everyone else to finish their fight so that they can start and I admit, from personal experience, it's really easy to get caught up in 1v1 fighting and completely lose track of time.

I want to try to to block as much of the OOC drama of fighting as humanly possible by setting up a general rule-set. I encourage people to get to the point where they can comfortably free form without the need of rolling or any extraneous decision-making detail-- but they have to learn first and rolls are a good way to start. A step away from rolling is, since you'd already be accustomed to knowing how and when to block, choosing to take the hits that you simply cannot defend against instead of going with the instinctual desire to preserve oneself by any means necessary even if it means bending your character into a pretzel that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

S'all I'm saying. I'm not saying rolls are better because they mean you're better, I know there's a level of chance involved and that's why I only intended to use it for people of relatively equal rank. So to reiterate-- if there are enough of you who want to only do free-form for events and official matches, that's perfectly fine with me and I'll add it to the rules.

But do you really want to use that against someone who admits they don't know what they're doing or they're not yet entirely comfortable with their level of skill in combat RP? In an event, won't it slow you down to have to correct them and rewrite posts?

Part of my hope for this is to see people doing -more- combat RP in all kinds of situations and I'd like people to eventually get to the point where they can free form without reservation or concern or fighting. Verbal. Fighting.

Sorry, was doing a few Ifrit runs! Actually, the easiest way to avoid OOC conflicts with people trying too hard is to simply add an OOC ref to the match. Which means, if there is a dispute the ref will handle it for them. They can make the decision of what they feel is best, and the fighters would in association agree to listen to the person's ruling over their own pride. The only problem I see with that is finding people who would be unbiased and wouldn't side with people they like over what was correct.