The Grindstone

YesGood

Thats not what I mean at all. Dang, I'm guessing this might not be what I'm looking for afterall. I'm moreso talking about oldschool freeform combat. I posted a link about it in the other thread, with a ton of rules towards it and what not. Dunno if you gave it a read through or not but I can post it again here if you're confused by what I mean!

Oh my! I'm sorry! Sure, go ahead, post a link here or feel free to PM me. I hope I'm not just misunderstanding you.

This is the link, Written by a few people whom have been doing freeform for years, the one who's deviantart it's under who helped write is also coming to the game soon. http://thetonyexperience.deviantart.com/journal/RP-Combat-Butt-Kicking-101-271544659

I see people might not enjoy this style over rolling or vice versa, Maybe there can be two seperate divisions or something? I'm one of those people who really enjoy strategy and such, so it's moreso for the challenge of testing myself as well as the IC aspect to it then just simply going into fights for the IC prospect. Like I said, I know thats not for everyone but I think so long as there are trusted people who're watching the fights anyways, they can easily OOCly ref them aswell to make sure everything runs smoothly and that there are no OOC fights that most people dislike with roleplay conflict.

I've been doing it for a long time myself so, if you needed help with any of that, I know I can help.

Oh, I did read this and enjoyed it.

Let's see... Rule 11 is where I was pretty much hoping we were going. In the sense of 'when used properly...'

To explain: I was only implementing the roll system for the events, to take the outcome based more off chance between people of roughly equivalent level of skills. It's more or less entirely what the ranking system is based off of.

HOWEVER, there are plenty of people who enjoy free-form RP and I'm willing to cater to those people by allowing them to fight against one another in separate, equivalent events, if you -want- to gain prestige this way. All the training otherwise, sparring and what not, can be completely free-form. If there are going to be any disputes about who wins a fight, however, I'd have to ask for rolling simply because the two are having a lot of issues that could create a lot of out of character anger or frustration which may only be because their characters are on par with one another in their level of skill ICly.

Some people might be more comfortable with using the rolling for events (and by events, I don't mean just the days we show up to spar with one another, I mean the events where you move up from Intermediate to Master where there will likely be prizes and gambling) and for those people, they can use the system and go by that rule-set.

If there are enough people who are comfortable with free-form, and I'm an advocate of more people learning it and implementing it, to make sure that one person who does it isn't, by default, just moving up the ranks, then I'm completely okay with that and I'll edit the rules to reflect as much.

Is that okay with you?

@Oroban Yosh! Punchers do punch and we have a punching bag named Jael'li.

---

I agree, papabadger, that free form is based on skill and rolling does take -some- skill out of the equation. I implemented the ranking system for people to fight others -of equivalent skill-. The problem I have is, if it's entirely free form then it takes the people to decide when to concede and stop trying to block, dodge, or counter attack. Where does it end? When one person takes a knock out blow or finally concedes defeat. This, to me, is perfectly fine all the time but it has a lot of frightful potential in -events- where there are -winnings-.

If people start getting a little too ambitious, fights break out where one person is telling someone else that what they did isn't going to work for 'blah blah' reason. I can't fairly say that someone is going to lose based on how bad their grammar is, for instance, so 'skill' gets muddled. It takes the character with less skill to -act- as though they have less skill and that's assuming that everyone doesn't come in as a super-pro master.

Another thing that I fear with free-forming with strangers is how long it can go on. I've had fights that lasted, literally, hours; so long that people by-standing got bored and walked off, then came back and were like 'Wow, you guys are still at it?'. It's hard to run an event that way if everyone's waiting for everyone else to finish their fight so that they can start and I admit, from personal experience, it's really easy to get caught up in 1v1 fighting and completely lose track of time.

I want to try to to block as much of the OOC drama of fighting as humanly possible by setting up a general rule-set. I encourage people to get to the point where they can comfortably free form without the need of rolling or any extraneous decision-making detail-- but they have to learn first and rolls are a good way to start. A step away from rolling is, since you'd already be accustomed to knowing how and when to block, choosing to take the hits that you simply cannot defend against instead of going with the instinctual desire to preserve oneself by any means necessary even if it means bending your character into a pretzel that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

S'all I'm saying. I'm not saying rolls are better because they mean you're better, I know there's a level of chance involved and that's why I only intended to use it for people of relatively equal rank. So to reiterate-- if there are enough of you who want to only do free-form for events and official matches, that's perfectly fine with me and I'll add it to the rules.

But do you really want to use that against someone who admits they don't know what they're doing or they're not yet entirely comfortable with their level of skill in combat RP? In an event, won't it slow you down to have to correct them and rewrite posts?

Part of my hope for this is to see people doing -more- combat RP in all kinds of situations and I'd like people to eventually get to the point where they can free form without reservation or concern or fighting. Verbal. Fighting.

Sorry, was doing a few Ifrit runs! Actually, the easiest way to avoid OOC conflicts with people trying too hard is to simply add an OOC ref to the match. Which means, if there is a dispute the ref will handle it for them. They can make the decision of what they feel is best, and the fighters would in association agree to listen to the person's ruling over their own pride. The only problem I see with that is finding people who would be unbiased and wouldn't side with people they like over what was correct.

Which I intend to try and find for Overseers also. I agree, an OOC ref will probably also be helpful and likely, they'll also be an IC ref anyway. So yes, this can be done.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE:

Updated the rules to include that free-form combat IS allowed in events and there WILL be separate events for them.

Likely, in order to start working out Champions, I hope that all of the people who elect to join the first event feel comfortable starting out as Journeymen.

Also, for future members, I would like to implement some sort of test where, if their character feels they are skilled in one particular art, they are allowed to duel one of the existing members and emerge at least at the Intermediate rank and be able to move up from there, bypassing the Novice rank altogether.

Also looking for characters who will be willing to act as Overseers, so if you think you're interested in that role, keep it in mind for when you join. ^.^

Nahv'ir and Val Nunh are both officially 'recruited'.

UPDATED:

Added our times on Wednesdays and Saturdays after 10 pm EST for our 'meetings'; hoping enough of us are on to hold our official matches and events.

I'd like any future members to please tell me if you -prefer- rolling or free form. I am probably going to post this information on the first page of the comments under my first post as ranks. Though... I really should consider starting a guild portal or something. If you are uncomfortable with RP combat, I invite you to see some of our matches and start out with rolling where an Overseer can help you through it a bit. So far our matches have been going brilliantly! I love to see how things turn out-- even if Sio has lost both her fights by falling over like a big klutz.

Also, I'm proud to say that within the week of us existing (or less) we already have nearly twenty members. Sooooo happy about that, especially given that everyone has been really active so far.

So, if interested in something of this manner, or perhaps observing, is it safe to say one should 'happen upon at the times on Wednesdays and Saturdays' ?

Absolutely! Tonight, as every other night for the past few days, I (and hopefully others Q_Q) will be at the bridge outside Ul'dah into Central Thanalan, before you get the the Coffin and Coffer. Hope that name is right. If one shows some interest in the goings-on to anyone already in the Shell, they'll very likely be redirected to Malek Mil'ner, Brock Praetus, Jael'li Erisha'an, or Siobhain Surtsthalwyn who is pretty difficult to miss.

Hurray, I got in! And I didn't even have to fight in any way. Sio invited Khyros cuz he's a genuinely nice guy. That or because once she saw my OOC costume she couldn't resist. 8-)

Was both. <.<; *tucks tissues into her bleeding nostrils from the memory*

Actually, Sio will take in anyone who wants to spectate regularly or heal or gamble (probably) as well as fight. So, you don't have to fight your way in but you're welcome to fight your way through if you so desire it!

*Updated*

Due to some minor issues with our previous event, /rolls will be required in future events-- at the very least to decide the outcome of a match IF two opponents cannot reach a decision.

Any questions or criticisms regarding this change can be directed to me, via PM or through Skype on jilalde.

UPDATED: Current champion is Fystrael Abylstyrwyn! Great turn-out on Saturday, I look forward to seeing you all again on Wednesday!

(We also passed 40 members in the LS, all recruited in character! Wonderful!)

*Remember, we are more than happy in the Grindstone to teach you, ICly (and OOCly) how to fight. If you have any concerns about how you'll do, rest assured that we can help you, all you need to do is ask!

UPDATED:

Fystrael is our standing champion for Wednesday~!

Also to note: A'khenna Khai is currently having some subscription issues and will not be able to work as our primary recruiter for a little while. During this time, please continue to contact Siobhain Surtsthalwyn, Khyros Oroban, or any of our LS overseers.

Our Free Company is still open to new members via RP recruitment. We may actually offer some of the RP we'll be doing in the future (story-development as opposed to simply tournament/sparring situations) to our LS members. If you're interested in what that may entail, please contact me via PM or Skype.

Looking forward to a potential job with Mr. Meat. <3

And finally, we're somehow up to 53 members. H-how does this even happen?! *joy* I hope I can continue to provide events and RP for all of you. If ever you get that hankering for combat, please don't hesitate to give a shout in the shell and see who might be around.

And finally, we're somehow up to 53 members. H-how does this even happen?! *joy* I hope I can continue to provide events and RP for all of you. If ever you get that hankering for combat, please don't hesitate to give a shout in the shell and see who might be around.

It happened cawz u awsum.

In all honestly, I'm glad I found you guys. It's opened up a lot of great RP and a good part of my day is spent looking forward to logging in and spending time with you fine individuals. It's a much needed reprieve from the stresses of class work and all that good stuff. 

Keep it up =) And likewise if I'm needed for anything, don't hesitate to ask.

It happened cawz u awsum.

In all honestly, I'm glad I found you guys. It's opened up a lot of great RP and a good part of my day is spent looking forward to logging in and spending time with you fine individuals. It's a much needed reprieve from the stresses of class work and all that good stuff. 

Keep it up =) And likewise if I'm needed for anything, don't hesitate to ask.

<3 <3 <3 Val, you are one of my absolute favorite people. And one of our first members! Q_Q One of the greatest things about this LS is the variety of different, awesome RPers I might never have met if I didn't suck it up and at least give it a shot. Hurray for courage!

Hurray for you beating me up too. Val's killing strikes 2 Sio's neck 0.

This looks pretty awesome. :D I'll have to roll by one of these days and happen across it. My main is a Keeper, so the desert isn't exactly a place he frequents all that often, but he does have reasons to go out there from time to time. Perhaps he can happen across something one of these days. In any case though, looks like you're all doing a great job! Continue the great work!

Thank you all so much. Q_Q *sniff* I really do love all of you. 

Anyone can come anytime. For a Keeper especially in the arid Thanalan, we do hold our tournaments and most all else as night. So there would be a bit of respite from the harsh sun. ^.^

Thank you all so much. Q_Q *sniff* I really do love all of you. 

Anyone can come anytime. For a Keeper especially in the arid Thanalan, we do hold our tournaments and most all else as night. So there would be a bit of respite from the harsh sun. ^.^

Oh sweet! I'll try to make an appearance one of these days then! I'm still on my leveling craze, as I can't stand being below level cap, and not only that I'm still not a dragoon. T_T BUT. I will be there. One day. 

:cactuar:

^ He will be there too.

THIS definitely looks really incredible.  I don't have a character on Balmung but I might have to start one to check it out.  Interesting thematic RP that has a lot of potential, on top of a fun martial setting - that also has a lot of future potential too, incorporating things from the world and world events into it.  I dig it.  I will likely have to go observe and see how things go!  It's got me excited for some RP here that I can get behind!:moogle:

THIS definitely looks really incredible.  I don't have a character on Balmung but I might have to start one to check it out.  Interesting thematic RP that has a lot of potential, on top of a fun martial setting - that also has a lot of future potential too, incorporating things from the world and world events into it.  I dig it.  I will likely have to go observe and see how things go!  It's got me excited for some RP here that I can get behind!:moogle:

I appreciate it! You can roll on over anytime and be sure to send me a PM! I can get really caught up in the events and it becomes hard for me to keep track of everything going on.