Interracial Couples in FFXIV

YesGood

Category A: You, OOCLY

1. Are there any any races you particularly love the opposite (or same) gender of? The models, the history, the lore, anything. 

The Keepers of the Moon will always be my favorite. When it comes to any MMO, I usually drift towards the class that has that one out of the norm race--I mean, you've always got your humans, your elves, your giants, your dwarfs, and then there's that species that's entirely of its own idea. 

I think that is partly the reason why I originally drifted towards Miqo'te's, and the fact that I favor Keepers of the Moon is based on their history. I love them as I love Asmodians from AION, if anyone can relate.

2. How do you view interracial couples in -game-? Specifically, let's not get into a debate about whether or not it's 'gross' to you as a person or if there are too many people doing it.

I would be a little weary of the idea of a Lalafell and a Roegadyn together.

Hahah, but, no, I honestly don't care. I think interracial coupling can be pretty interesting, so have at it. I have no qualms about what other people want to do.

3. Do your OOC feelings towards a particular race make you more open or affect what your character is looking for when they're either flirting around, pursuing romance, or just, in general, acting differently towards those individuals.

Um, no, not really. I keep OOC and IC seperate.

Category B: Your character

1. Does your character seek friends or partners based predominantly on race?

He feels most comfortable around other male Keepers, although he does not necessarily avoid anyone based on their race alone. He just doesn't care. He treats everyone just about the same, whether that's harshly or kindly. It is because of his openness to the male Keepers, however, that originally had him approach the Miqo'te he is interested and devoted to as of now, so he is biased and he is... not biased, because he would care for this Miqo'te whether or not he had ears and tail, at this point.

2. How does your character view interracial pairings and are their feelings different from your own?

Like me, he also doesn't care. He has his business just like everyone else has theirs, and he's not about to butt his nose into anything that doesn't involve him. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Are there any any races you particularly love the opposite (or same) gender of? The models, the history, the lore, anything.

I LOVE the bishounen kind of male Miqo'tes and male Midlanders. It's no surprise that I'm in love with the only two races that allow the bishounen appearance; the other ones are either too manly or too silly for me to find them physically attractive.

Lore is always interesting to me, no matter what the race.

2. How do you view interracial couples in -game-? Specifically, let's not get into a debate about whether or not it's 'gross' to you as a person or if there are too many people doing it.

So long as it makes sense, people can do whatever they want.

3. Do your OOC feelings towards a particular race make you more open or affect what your character is looking for when they're either flirting around, pursuing romance, or just, in general, acting differently towards those individuals.

Well, my characters don't flirt nor they pursue romance ^^;

However, my personal feelings towards certain races mean that, in case my main character ever fell in love with someone, it'd likely be with a race I personally like (mostly because she doesn't fit with any bulky, hairy man *sweatdrops*).

As for my secondary character... Sunseekers are weird by default when it comes to romance, since romance simply seems forbidden. This is why I don't think she'd be limited to any race in particular, regardless of what my personal feelings are.

My characters don't seek romance. Clover is a solitary person, and K'mih is a tribal Miqo'te who has been taught that she'll have to breed with the Nunh someday, so it's not like she has any kind of a choice. Naturally, she initially only has Miqo'te friends from her Tribe.

2. How does your character view interracial pairings and are their feelings different from your own?

-Clover: She might be surprised or shocked in some cases, but ultimately, she doesn't really see any reason for it not to happen. As far as I know, hyurs don't have personal issues (and if they have, please let me know, as that part of the lore is unknown to me).

-K'mih: She's been taught that any serious relationship outside her tribe isn't good or recommended. I imagine that she'd be very shocked if she ever learned about the existence of any interracial pairing, and it's likely that she'd try to understand why such a weird thing happened.

However, my personal feelings towards certain races mean that, in case my main character ever fell in love with someone, it'd likely be with a race I personally like (mostly because she doesn't fit with any bulky, hairy man *sweatdrops*).

It's funny, I'm the opposite. My Roe could hook up with anyone but it probably won't be a Roe-- and I prefer 'bulky, hairy' men.

Lala views incoming D:

In all honesty, I could easily find something of each race to love, though I would have to say that my two favorites are the Elezan and the Roegadyn female models. Just something in my mind turns and says yes to tall women... ^^;

I see love as love ingame. I really could care less if a Roeg and a Lala are paired together, it's not like it's harming anyone. Alot of the times, I see romance as an almost needed part of any characters backstory in some shape and form. It gives a drive, that bit of depth that doesn't make the character seem like a stone wall :|

Well, Haru isn't really a flirter even if he is looking for romance. I do have to say that he's not one for seperating his attention from people solely based on race. He's already met many people to whom he converses with of all races. I doubt it would affect his outlook on partners.

No, He's all about that equal opportunities :D He's not gonna wave you off if you're a certain race.

Haru's view on them, and my own are practically the same, though he does hold some discontent for Nuhn. That is for an entirely different reason, and not part of this topic though :3

Sure, I'll bite on this. :) The Category B answers are for L'yhta.

Personally, I think all of the character models look good. :) XIV is actually one of the few MMOs where the male character models don't look like misshapen bodybuilders. I rather enjoy the miqo'te and duskwight elezen lore, though I wish other races would get the same level of lore treatment.

I don't care so long as the relationship is established and maintained through narrative. I do think that most races would perhaps see others outside of their race as less attractive due to varying physical characteristics -- fetishizations of certain races aside -- but that's something I just assume the players have accounted for.

Not really. The character is the character is the character, and IC != OOC. I don't think male lalafell are especially attractive models, but if L'yhta were to fall for one, then that happens. :)

Yes and no. Yes, in that certain behaviors of some female miqo'te greatly annoy her, and as such, she tends to not have friends who fall into the "sexy cat" aesthetic or that are devoted to the tribal lifestyle. Additionally, she prefers the company of other miqo'te who don't fall into either of those categories to that of other races, though it's not a particularly strong preference. No, in that she prefers the company of others in general and isn't too picky about with whom (the above anti-other miqo'te sentiments notwithstanding).

L'yhta's provincial and tribal past has her viewing miqo'te who pair outside their race as strange; why would you not try to continue the tradition of miqo'te striving towards excellence? This point of view isn't one she's particularly open about, but it's one that sticks with her largely due to her commitment to "miqo'te pride" and persists despite her dislike of tribal Seeker culture. When it comes down to it, she's racist in that she feels miqo'te are the superior race and that they should stick to their own to continue that tradition.

This covert racism is rather different from me, the player, as I feel that people have the inherent human right to love whoever they wish. :) As I've said before, L'yhta can be judgmental ass for all her overt happy-go-lucky behavior.

I adore Roegadyn females... In opposite to the old stereotype tall male/small female, i like tall woman. Tall and strong they may be. :3 And i dont mind if they are tough and rough, as long as its not outright mean.

Uhm... yeah... thats a personal preference tho... i might have drifted away here... :S 

Thats... thats just a fondness tho. All women are lovable. ^^

i'm fairly tolerant or liberal. To each their own... whatever floats your boat... etc. etc.

I feel awkward when i see a lalafell/any-other-race pairing... but then again people tell me "you dont need to have old-school sex in every relationship". Also there's other ways too... nuff said.

Not really. Seperating IC and OC comes into play here. Also i dont dislike any race in particular. But i admit, i dont let my character flirt with other races, i do choose that decision for him. Others are free to do it, i dont have to myself, i like to keep to same race. In all other aspects, the race of other RPers wont influence my behaviour.

For friends he is not picky, race doesnt matter. He does only romance in his own race tho (partly explained above). Then again, he wouldnt care if she's seeker or keeper. Thats just like he is, same race yes, other races he'd say "thanks, but... no thanks." Most probably. I think. He shares my own likings, so maybe he'd fall for a roe... :D if he wasnt taken.

Pretty much same like me. He's a liberal, people can do what they want. As long as it's legal. A Lalafell has to know good enough herself if its worth it to be with a roegadyn. ^^

I think Duskwight elves are a really cool concept, like Drow but without the shitty pseudo-S&M "matriarchy" (that just happens to be made up of sexually appealing women to men...), but I don't really have an 'attraction' to any of the in game races. Any romance that comes up IC is a result of the player making it interesting and all.

I view it as a perfectly valid thing IC, as long as the lore of 'no half-breeds' is stuck to. If your Human wants to get married to a Miqo'te that's cool, from what I understand all the major cultures are down with that as a concept so you wouldn't be some silly special snowflaker. I do get a little 'wtf' at Lala/anyone else relationships if only because of...logistic reasons...

For friends none of my characters care about race, Drunken Comet tends to drift to other Roes if only because she feels like they 'get' her better, but she doesn't turn away any races. For relations they're about the same way, Zutoto is a bit sheltered due to her upbringing so she's not one to jump into the 'climbing' jokes some other Lalas make about other races but again, she doesn't DISLIKE any race.

Most all of characters are all fairly down with interracial pairings, my Miqo'te has some issues with cross cultures stuff due to his own history but he'd never discourage anyone from that stuff, just maybe a few snide remarks about how they should be glad they can't have a kid or whatever.

Comet, though, kinda looks down on Hellguard who go after relationships with non-Hellguard, if only because in her mind the guards are such a small culture they need MORE kids to man the volcanoes and such and learn the traditions and a cross species relationship isn't going to get that. She's not fanatic about it but maybe a few semi-private comments about how they'd do better 'thinking of their duty' or some such. Of course this is a bit of a shitty idea since her homeland is rather hurting for resources and she herself isn't exactly spending her life staring at magma craters, so I'd OOCly expect her to get called out on that shit.

I think Duskwight elves are a really cool concept, like Drow but without the shitty pseudo-S&M "matriarchy" (that just happens to be made up of sexually appealing women to men...), but I don't really have an 'attraction' to any of the in game races. Any romance that comes up IC is a result of the player making it interesting and all.

I view it as a perfectly valid thing IC, as long as the lore of 'no half-breeds' is stuck to. If your Human wants to get married to a Miqo'te that's cool, from what I understand all the major cultures are down with that as a concept so you wouldn't be some silly special snowflaker. I do get a little 'wtf' at Lala/anyone else relationships if only because of...logistic reasons...

For friends none of my characters care about race, Drunken Comet tends to drift to other Roes if only because she feels like they 'get' her better, but she doesn't turn away any races. For relations they're about the same way, Zutoto is a bit sheltered due to her upbringing so she's not one to jump into the 'climbing' jokes some other Lalas make about other races but again, she doesn't DISLIKE any race.

Most all of characters are all fairly down with interracial pairings, my Miqo'te has some issues with cross cultures stuff due to his own history but he'd never discourage anyone from that stuff, just maybe a few snide remarks about how they should be glad they can't have a kid or whatever.

Comet, though, kinda looks down on Hellguard who go after relationships with non-Hellguard, if only because in her mind the guards are such a small culture they need MORE kids to man the volcanoes and such and learn the traditions and a cross species relationship isn't going to get that. She's not fanatic about it but maybe a few semi-private comments about how they'd do better 'thinking of their duty' or some such. Of course this is a bit of a shitty idea since her homeland is rather hurting for resources and she herself isn't exactly spending her life staring at magma craters, so I'd OOCly expect her to get called out on that shit.

You seem to favor the word 'shit'. I like how we all go down our list and we get to Lalafell and go '...'. 'WE DON'T MEAN TO OFFEND YOU, OUR ADORABLE LALAS!'

1) Female Roe are badass, they may be huge and butch but they have such an awesome warrior woman vibe to them and a certain exotic look.

Miqo'te can either be kitten cute or pull off a pretty cool savage feel, and I do like them a lot, but I am a cat person.

2) I don't have a problem with it, I mean romance or relationships doesn't necessarily equal sex, it can be innocent. Or not, but each to their own, if I get uncomfortable with it I could always walk away :cactuar:

3) I try not to, because it's important to keep IC and OOC separate, but of course they're still your creation, and every creation has a hint of their owner. I think it's just important to think about these things and to be consistent.

A) Logan is a bit of a loner, he doesn't seek anyone as he's just so focused on his work. Though when it does come to interacting with other races, Logan does prefer a fellow Hyur or Miqo'te, though he's attracted to people he respects and admires, so it wouldn't be impossible for him to fall for a particularly fine Roe or Elezen. Not Lalafell though, he finds them creepy (totally not an OOC reason <_<; )

B) I doubt he even notices. Logan is not a peoples person.

Even though I like all the character models, I really love Male Miqo'te, for some reason their ears seem more animated than female's, which make their emotes feel more emotional and "real". I also love their sitting pose. Miqo'te also appeal to me lore-wise, it made planning Otte's backstory and how he ties into the tribal aspect of Miqo'te lore a lot more interesting.

Even when I do find an idea of Lalafel/any other race -couples a little weird because of the huge size difference, I don't mind interracial couples per se. People do what they want and if they find it fun, what am I to judge?

Not really, for example I like Miqo'te males, but would never see my Roe lady flirting with them, or being attracted to them in general. My characters have their own preferences, that don't have much to do with my own.

If person is persistant and friendly enough, Otte would most likely befriend anyone, not depending on their race. He is a little wary when meeting new people, but even more so when the person is Miqo'te (due to personal reasons). He also finds Roe and Highlanders very intimidating, thanks to their size.

Otte thinks he is quite open-minded, but he would consider Miqo'te romancing someone outside their race odd, mostly because of cultural reasons. Especially so if the Miqo'te happens to be male. On other kind of couples he would just find it curious and something worth researching about.

Not really. They all have their merits and detractors.

I think it's something that shouldn't be jumped into too lightly. If we just consider humanity for a second, interracial couples happen with some frequency, but still, the vast majority of couples are between people of the same race. And this is between human beings with little more different between them than shades of skin colour.

When you then consider that the races in FFXIV are literally biologically different, you have to assume that this occurs even less frequently. Then we can also factor in that Eorzea is just one continent, and not an entire world of 7 billion people.

The maths just don't add up to create a situation where it wouldn't be immersion breaking to pretend like interracial relationships are commonplace and no big deal at all.

Does it happen? Of course it does. But it's probably naïve to think that you shouldn't expect strange looks and judgemental questions in character.

No, I try to keep it in character.

I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to pursue any romantic roleplay. But I know that as a male seeker, attracting females will be a strong motivation for my character, and it will be entirely confined to females within his race.

Because that's how I view his particular motivation in this case. His primary interest in romance is as a means of performing his duty and strengthening his tribe. If he were to find love in the process, he wouldn't reject it, but that's not a primary motivator.

As for friends? No. He doesn't see any reason why he couldn't be friends with any other race. He does find it difficult to take Lalafell seriously, as he doesn't view them as equals. And he is extremely wary of male Roegadyn, because they're huge, and he views them as potential threats. He wouldn't avoid them, but he will keep just out of arm's reach, just in case.

So, he is entirely against interracial parings for Miqo'te. He couldn't care less what the other races are doing. But for a Miqo'te to actually enter into a relationship with another race, (as opposed to just recreational sex as a release for pent up urges) is something he considers to be equivalent to betraying your race. Worse for a male than a female, granted, but still not acceptable either way. He is all about the tribe, so he feels that any love that doesn't benefit the tribe is misplaced and morally reprehensible.

So yeah, they're totally different from my own feelings on the matter.

When you then consider that the races in FFXIV are literally biologically different, you have to assume that this occurs even less frequently. Then we can also factor in that Eorzea is just one continent, and not an entire world of 7 billion people.

The maths just don't add up to create a situation where it wouldn't be immersion breaking to pretend like interracial relationships are commonplace and no big deal at all.

Does it happen? Of course it does. But it's probably naïve to think that you shouldn't expect strange looks and judgemental questions in character.

---

So yeah, they're totally different from my own feelings on the matter.

On the first point, while I have to agree with you, they -are- biologically different and that should detract a bit from most interracial marriages-- but I think that that, alone, might be some of the appeal to both males and females of different races. The chances that you can cross breed a Roegadyn with an Elezen, for example, are slim to none and for those people who don't want offspring but do want that level of companionship, they have that option.

Also, in game, and maybe it depends largely on the area, interracial relationships do seem somewhat common. I've seen a number of pairs: Thancred with a Miqo'te I think and an Elezen, an engaged pair of a male Roegadyn and a Midlander Hyur, not to mention all those prostitution things from another thread, random NPCs flirting-- it doesn't seem abnormal here. I believe the majority of people would prefer their own races but at the same time I don't think, for whatever reason, that most of the city-states consider interracial pairs as unexpected. I think they've been living amongst each other for far too long.

You do have a good, traditional thing going on with your character with him keeping to females of his kind, which I think is brilliant. I hope plenty of characters share his feelings because while I can appreciate plenty of thought going into how a character chooses friends or mates, I'd also like to see what might be considered 'normal' or 'traditional' portrayed equally if not more.

I'm not really sure I"m comfortable talking biology in a setting made up almost entirely of magical crystals and lifestream goo. I mean we are talking about a setting that is seems like a creationists fever dream. There is literally a crystal that speaks to each character and says "I am Hydaelyn." Biology as we know it might not mean much in Eorzea.

Biology is always there, because it's simply the science about how bodys are built. Even the corpses of eorzeans are structured somehow, with bones, muscles, blood, nerves...

When visible gods come into play, i think its better to speak of "intelligent design" than "creationism" :3

They are not made of magical goo. There is still some evolution etc. (for example seeker/keeper differences...)

edit: on second thought, i admit that we dont know how and to what degree the biology of eorzeans corpses might be different to ours. ^^ Maybe they have a TNA (Tri-Nucleotid-Aminothingy) which is compatible throughout the races! Or some other silly stuff. ^^

I'm not really sure I"m comfortable talking biology in a setting made up almost entirely of magical crystals and lifestream goo. I mean we are talking about a setting that is seems like a creationists fever dream. There is literally a crystal that speaks to each character and says "I am Hydaelyn." Biology as we know it might not mean much in Eorzea.

So far as I know, there aren't any half Hyur half Miqo'te NPCs or any mention of cross-race products. There -is- mention of it in games where it exists. I think that sort of denotes that there probably isn't much in the way of interracial breeding (or at least successfully having children)-- I mean, anywhere they talk of breeding, biology will come into play. Unless they're having babies in pods or they're made of clay and brought to life.

It might not mean much but if it meant nothing they wouldn't mention anything in regards to children even existing. That's probably one of the things they actually fully related to what we -do- understand of biology (at least the reproductive/attraction portions of it because that's relevant to the topic atm) now if only because they probably didn't want to think too hard on it.

What we probably don't know is just how different the other races are from Hyur and from each other. If they can't interbreed at all then they're entirely, genetically different creatures. At that point, the only things that come into play with interbreed attraction is 1. Physical characteristics that individuals have been raised to find attractive being found more often in other races 2. Love/sentiment 3. A desire to not reproduce so you'll settle for someone you won't risk will give you a litter.

I guess, but if there's like, a science to things that are always there, I've got some bigger burning questions here, like, how come I can create a spectral buster sword and stab the personification of the element of fire in the face with it? Is that magic or science? Or both? Where does the magic end and the science begin? I guess my argument is, science isn't really going to be a driving force in the setting for a game called "Final Fantasy", even though the title lies because there's well over 14 of these things.

If "intelligent design" is the buzzword here, why couldn't the playable races be "intelligently designed" to want to bone each other? Now if we're talking offspring, I really don't know. But the idea behind pheremones and attraction get thrown completely out of the window to me when I see the laws of nature broken all the time for the most mundane things. I'm looking at you, aerodynamics.

edit: on second thought, i admit that we dont know how and to what degree the biology of eorzeans corpses might be different to ours. ^^ Maybe they have a TNA (Tri-Nucleotid-Aminothingy) which is compatible throughout the races! Or some other silly stuff. ^^

Or it could be lifestream goo.

Lost is totally not a pod baby out to destroy the world and steal underpants. 

I'm not sure about cross-breeding, but, interspecies romance? Quite fine, possible. And of course the attraction is and can be there.

I like the cut of your jib. What about some same-species romance*, bb?

*"Romance" may or may not include in this context, a candlelit dinner for two consisting of fish sticks and gatorade of a flavor of your choice, a batch of "magic" chocolate chip cookies, and a viewing of Robocop 2, which we will ignore for heavy petting and then I'll probably call you like three weeks later.

Lost is totally not a pod baby out to destroy the world and steal underpants. 

I'm not sure about cross-breeding, but, interspecies romance? Quite fine, possible. And of course the attraction is and can be there.

D: SAME SPECIES ROMANCE! *tackles Lost River*

I think that even against biology when sentient thinking to the point of being able to communicate with other species and evolving to or past the equivalent point of modern humanity has happened, emotions and culture usurp scientific reasoning.

Just because something like biology exists doesn't mean that science as we know it does. I think Magitek is a blend of science and magic, more magic than anything because-- if magic existed for us the way it does in FF wouldn't we be trying to break it apart and understand it the way science does? 'The science of magic' seems like an oxymoron until you look at the definition of the word:

The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

If magic were part of our physical world, as it is in Eorzea and beyond, then it would probably become a science to us.

But it doesn't.

Gravity still exists.

That's aaaaall that counts.

*laughs and is tackled* Well, apparently it's same species, same race, same gender romance for Lost. But Robocop 2 is tempting.

*smiles* And Gravity is a good spell... wait a second, does that mean the reason Hydalen has gravity is because a power mage is constantly using Gravity on the planet and when he/she dies, no more gravity?! OH NO!

As it goes, I think it's as said before, sentient curiosity and attraction is what brings cross-species relations. Enough that it is uncommon and not -rare-. but it isn't the full norm.

Given airship design and Lalafell jumping capabilities, I would say it's a safe bet that gravity doesn't exist, things just fall to the ground because everyone consensually agreed that it would be convenient for reality to be that way. I mean seriously, Lalafell jumping puts NBA slam competitions to shame.

Given airship design and Lalafell jumping capabilities, I would say it's a safe bet that gravity doesn't exist, things just fall to the ground because everyone consensually agreed that it would be convenient for reality to be that way. I mean seriously, Lalafell jumping puts NBA slam competitions to shame.

Maybe Lalas are like Roger from American Dad with super muscular legs?

I'd be afraid of a single mage was maintaining all gravity. What happens if someone comes in and pokes them in the eye? Everyone floats into space?!

1. Well, IRL I'm into mostly feminine guys and stronger-typed women. So I guess Miqo'te boys & Roegadyn Female xD As strange as that sounds.

2. I say if you're into it, go for it. *shrugs* Don't know why it'd matter.

3. Maybe a little. But S'demyx doesn't need my influence to guide him. That perv...

1. The only race S'demyx isn't fond of are Keepers of the Moon. Beyond that, he doesn't seem to care the person's race. Of course, he's mostly into Miqo'te & Hyur. He's with a fellow Seeker now, but that doesn't mean he doesn't stop his roaming eyes on those Hyur boys. :D

2. He finds it strange and taboo, but of course he loves things that are off-limits. As long as it's not with a Keeper? He thinks it's very intriguing.