Interracial Couples in FFXIV

YesGood

The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

I did this definition of science with my eldest for her homework last night. Why do 8 year-olds have reports again? >:

Category A: You, OOCLY

1. Are there any any races you particularly love the opposite (or same) gender of? The models, the history, the lore, anything.

Roes.  All Roes of any gender.  If they had tails, horns, and hair, I would drool uncontrollably, but green as a complexion is good enough for me!

What?  No, I did not shout, "For the Horde!"

Male and female Highlanders.  Mmmm, rugged.

Also, male Miqo'tes.  That was a surprise for my taste-buds.  All their animations have swag.

2. How do you view interracial couples in -game-? Specifically, let's not get into a debate about whether or not it's 'gross' to you as a person or if there are too many people doing it.

I don't mind at all.  Everything is plausible, e.g. love without intercourse.

3. Do your OOC feelings towards a particular race make you more open or affect what your character is looking for when they're either flirting around, pursuing romance, or just, in general, acting differently towards those individuals.

Nope.  If my Roe flirts, it's unconsciously.  If my Miqo'te flirts, it's ICly with other Miqo'te women.

Category B: Your character

1. Does your character seek friends or partners based predominantly on race?

Neither do.  They just wanna meet people.

2. How does your character view interracial pairings and are their feelings different from your own?

My Miqo'te would be curious, but not judgmental.  My Roe wouldn't really care.  I would say they're pretty much like me.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Category A

1) I -love- female Highlanders and female Roegadyn. The lore (what there is), the look (I <3 my curvy ladies), and the feel of them. It's definitely rubbed off on Zarek a bit I have to say. He tends to flirt with them pretty unashamedly. But no, all of the races really are aesthetically pleasing IMO.

2) I haven't come across any ingame (in rp anyway) just yet but I'm sure they're out there. I say if it works for them and their story, sure, why not. Go for it if it makes sense.

3) See above. I'd think it makes me more open but only in the way of teasing/play flirting to start a convo. Otherwise I'm fairly open period.

Category B

1) Nopes. Looks factor in but that's just like saying personality does. It's a thing.

2) Generally speaking with most things Zarek tends to take a laid back/almost apathetic approach. It doesn't bother him until well...it actually bothers him. He might give them a second longer glance or a double take (in the case of say...Lala/Roe) but otherwise, Zarek likes what he likes (and as I said, some of that is what I like).

So far as I know, there aren't any half Hyur half Miqo'te NPCs or any mention of cross-race products. There -is- mention of it in games where it exists. I think that sort of denotes that there probably isn't much in the way of interracial breeding (or at least successfully having children)-- I mean, anywhere they talk of breeding, biology will come into play. Unless they're having babies in pods or they're made of clay and brought to life.

There is actually a dev post on the old Lodestone forums (that I can't for the life of me find right now) that confirms that interracial breeding is possible, just very rare. That's why you don't see it in game. Certainly interclan breeding is possible (per the dev post providing possible explanations for F'lhaminn).

So far as I know, there aren't any half Hyur half Miqo'te NPCs or any mention of cross-race products. There -is- mention of it in games where it exists. I think that sort of denotes that there probably isn't much in the way of interracial breeding (or at least successfully having children)-- I mean, anywhere they talk of breeding, biology will come into play. Unless they're having babies in pods or they're made of clay and brought to life.

There is actually a dev post on the old Lodestone forums (that I can't for the life of me find right now) that confirms that interracial breeding is possible, just very rare. That's why you don't see it in game. Certainly interclan breeding is possible (per the dev post providing possible explanations for F'lhaminn).

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61222-F-lhaminn?p=980189&viewfull=1#post980189

here's the dev post about F'lhaminn, certainly an interesting character during 1.0

On the first point' date=' while I have to agree with you, they -are- biologically different and that should detract a bit from most interracial marriages-- but I think that that, alone, might be some of the appeal to both males and females of different races. The chances that you can cross breed a Roegadyn with an Elezen, for example, are slim to none and for those people who don't want offspring but do want that level of companionship, they have that option.[/quote']

This may be why there's so many female Miqo'te prostitutes, out of all the different races, their potential clients are far less likely to be of their own kind (male Miqo'te are rare, right?), which makes the chance of them getting pregnant pretty insignificant.

This is of course assuming there's no contraception in Eorzea, which I think may be likely from all the STD references...

Haha! Found it!

Here's the dev post reference on interracial breeding, which confirms that it's rare and often difficult due to "cultural differences, etc." It's hard to find because it's from 2011, and so quite a ways back in Fernehalwes's post history.

EDIT: Just to be clear, then, it does happen, just rarely. We can surmise that "biological differences reducing pregnancy rates" falls into the dev's "etc." category, but that's purely speculative. Likewise is the remainder of this paragraph :), where I surmise that miqo'te prostitutes are common due to fetishization of their features combined with a sexually permissive culture. Miqo'te women needn't be exploited or stupid; they could just be doing it because it's easy money, and (especially in Ul'dah), money is power. But there's a whole 'nother thread discussing that...

On the first point, while I have to agree with you, they -are- biologically different and that should detract a bit from most interracial marriages-- but I think that that, alone, might be some of the appeal to both males and females of different races. The chances that you can cross breed a Roegadyn with an Elezen, for example, are slim to none and for those people who don't want offspring but do want that level of companionship, they have that option.

This may be why there's so many female Miqo'te prostitutes, out of all the different races, their potential clients are far less likely to be of their own kind (male Miqo'te are rare, right?), which makes the chance of them getting pregnant pretty insignificant.

This is of course assuming there's no contraception in Eorzea, which I think may be likely from all the STD references...

Crotch rot... *shudder*

You make a very good point, Jove, as per usual. I enjoy your points. That does seem like it could play a small factor in those that -choose- that route.

And as long as they have lambs, they'll have contraceptives. >.<

Haha! Found it!

Here's the dev post reference on interracial breeding, which confirms that it's rare and often difficult due to "cultural differences, etc." It's hard to find because it's from 2011, and so quite a ways back in Fernehalwes's post history.

Good find,

The F'Lahminn one was more recent so it was easy to find that, but I hadn't been able to find the one you linked for a while.

Thanks for the hunting.

On the first point, while I have to agree with you, they -are- biologically different and that should detract a bit from most interracial marriages-- but I think that that, alone, might be some of the appeal to both males and females of different races. The chances that you can cross breed a Roegadyn with an Elezen, for example, are slim to none and for those people who don't want offspring but do want that level of companionship, they have that option.

ecuth6Rs2HM

Have fun with that can of bees, folks. I'm out!

I regret not changing Haru from a Lala with Fantasia.:| Romance was one of those things that I really enjoy in RP, and it seems more and more apparent that won't happen with him being a Lala...

Hey hey now, I'm not sure how copacetic you are to the idea, but I don't discriminate towards our more fun-sized friends.

Stick it out! or try to breach the subject, people change, heck my opinion of Lala's was the equivalent of "lol gnomes" in 1.0 but a few good players and Momodi had me dancing to their tune soon enough!

I regret not changing Haru from a Lala with Fantasia.:| Romance was one of those things that I really enjoy in RP, and it seems more and more apparent that won't happen with him being a Lala...

Hey hey now, I'm not sure how copacetic you are to the idea, but I don't discriminate towards our more fun-sized friends.

Stick it out! or try to breach the subject, people change, heck my opinion of Lala's was the equivalent of "lol gnomes" in 1.0 but a few good players and Momodi had me dancing to their tune soon enough!

I don't exactly have a choice to stick it out Lol Basically it's stick it out or Reroll, and after all the time I've put into Haur in general, I don't even think I could reroll at all.

Aww... Aren't there any Lala ladies? I mean... Honestly I'm afraid Siobhain's stance on even male Lalafell are that they break her 'too tiny -too delicate' rule to the max. Except maybe Shippuu but I don't think he's about on that Lala anymore.

I'm sure there's a Hyur somewhere out there that can love a tiny Lala!

*I thought someone said in another thread that they got a ton of Fantasias. Can't you get more than one?

Aww... Aren't there any Lala ladies? I mean... Honestly I'm afraid Siobhain's stance on even male Lalafell are that they break her 'too tiny -too delicate' rule to the max. Except maybe Shippuu but I don't think he's about on that Lala anymore.

I'm sure there's a Hyur somewhere out there that can love a tiny Lala!

*I thought someone said in another thread that they got a ton of Fantasias. Can't you get more than one?

Unless they are tradable... But I wouldn't do that anyways. I would feel as if I cheated :| 

And that's just the thing, most people see Lala romance as fine.... As long as it's with another Lala :\ It's a bit of an akward stance that people seem to take with the smaller races of fantasy worlds.

Let me first state that irl I am an Irish-scottish cracker with redhead roots; and I play dark-skinned characters because I love the skin tone, chocolate brown, sienna, dark gray (Taijha on Balmung).. pretty much every character I have ever made in the last 7 years has been a dark colour.

So with that said, it tends to affect my characters ICly as well, though she won't go out of her way to not get involved with lighter skinned characters, but she does tend to like the dark ones better. :P As for actual interracial realtionships with my character (skin tone doesnt make you a different race if you're both human), K'anika was raised by pirates, so if theres any sort of inbred bias among Sunkeepers against interbreeding, she lacks it. Taijha on the otherhand prefers her own kind for mating matters, though she has no problem flirting and dallying with others for fun.

IC:

Fystrael slowly stops her frantic chewing to glance down at her rare Bismarck dinner; a steaming plate of wild lamb chops.

She shudders as she unwilling considers how her mother may have avoided getting pregnant after skrat number four.

With more haste than decorum, she pushes her plate away and signals for the waiter to bring her cheque.  She'll spend the rest of her bounty in the Drowning Wench tonight, doggedly pickling her brains to cause the revolting thought to perish.

OOC:

Nearly spilled my milk cackling at the thought.  Maybe that's how the Leatherworkers Guild makes most of its money...?

IC:

Fystrael slowly stops her frantic chewing to glance down at her rare Bismarck dinner; a steaming plate of wild lamb chops.

She shudders as she unwilling considers how her mother may have avoided getting pregnant after skrat number four.

With more haste than decorum, she pushes her plate away and signals for the waiter to bring her cheque.  She'll spend the rest of her bounty in the Drowning Wench tonight, doggedly pickling her brains to cause the revolting thought to perish.

OOC:

Nearly spilled my milk cackling at the thought.  Maybe that's how the Leatherworkers Guild makes most of its money...?

Eeeeew! <3333

1. Are there any any races you particularly love the opposite (or same) gender of? The models, the history, the lore, anything.

I like the lore of both tribes of Miqo'te, of course (which is why I wound up playing one!). The lalafell are adorable, and I like the variety of personalities and traits you see among them. The Roegadyn, I admit, never really caught my eye on their own, but the different Roe PCs have been so interesting and diverse I can't help but love 'em! Hyur midlander males are aesthetically interesting to me, because they have a pretty good mix of boyish/manly features (which I find to be ironic given S'janna's initial dislike of them). Sorry Elezen, you just don't do anything for me. At all. *mutters something about giraffes*

2. How do you view interracial couples in -game-? Specifically, let's not get into a debate about whether or not it's 'gross' to you as a person or if there are too many people doing it.

Couldn't care less.

Let me clarify- I don't really see them any differently than I would any other couple. I suppose I share the view of some that a lalafell / anything else would be a bit... peculiar to me, but hey, if it makes the characters happy go for it. As for the rest, go for it. Not really my place to judge others' RP anyway, even if I did have a problem with it. *shrugs*

3. Do your OOC feelings towards a particular race make you more open or affect what your character is looking for when they're either flirting around, pursuing romance, or just, in general, acting differently towards those individuals.

Probably about the only OOC feeling I could see affecting my IC 'relations' would be the afore-mentioned lalafell weirdness. I'd pretty much be like 'but I could *carry* you with one arm.' Admittedly those races I find to be more aesthetically pleasing (midlanders/miqo'te) are ones I personally would be more drawn to, thus likely wind up spending more time with due to that bias. But that doesn't mean I'd turn away a Roe or something, but rather than I'd be more inclined to make the initial contact for others.

She does! But for her, she has a tendency to prefer friends who are not Seekers like her. She's got a bad history with her tribe and is inclined to tar others with the same brush, if only in her mind. For awhile, she had an aversion towards Hyur males, but an interesting RP with a Keeper gave her a bit more of an open mind in that regard. Currently, most of her friends are Midlanders, though she does have a few Seekers as well- though she initially was quite cool towards them. I also utilize a few off-screen NPC Seekers as convenient babysitters for when RP dictates not lugging a baby around :P. Yes, for someone disinclined towards friendship with her own people, she sure surrounds herself with a lot of them, doesn't she?

2. How does your character view interracial pairings and are their feelings different from your own?

Like many Seekers, S'janna tends towards the practical end of pairings, rather than the romantic side of it. This is in part cultural bias, and in part very much because of the psuedo-romance that got her into such trouble to begin with. Either way, she doesn't really look at romance the way a real world person might. It's not to say she might not become entangled in one, but rather that she simply doesn't think in those terms. Pairings are for children, and you have you have children with the nunh of your tribe. It's as simple as that.

Like all things, though, there's nuances in this as well. Mainly, that she loathes the nunh of her tribe and wants nothing more to do with the tribe at all- and to an extent, tribal life in general. This dissonance leaves her open to other possibilities, even if she doesn't consciously consider them. Of course, her first priority is her son, and anyone who thinks to enter her life while disregarding or dismissing him will get short thrift from her. And anyone who wins over S'anjha (her son) definitely has a leg up, be they Miqo'te, Hyur, or whatever.

Just on the Lalafell point, if we add together the two bits of lore:

A. Families are important to Lalafell

and

B. Cross-racial children are a rarity

wouldn't we come to the conclusion that Lalafell themselves might avoid cross-racial relationships as they know such things don't usually end in big families or even any children at all usually?

My character's fairly orthodox so I could see him saying, of a female of another race: "Well yes I really like her but it's not like I want to marry her... I was hoping to have a nice big family and, well, you know how those kinds of things go. I think we'll just be really good friends until the end of time."

Of course not every single Lalafell has to follow the general stereotyping of the race, so I'd say pretty much everyone should decide for themselves what they think feels right. That's the way real life is anyway.

I REALLY love Roegadyns. During the betas I rolled with a lovely Roegadyn lady and I had fully intended to continue on with her into launch but, alas, I found myself falling in love with Lalafells. As a huge surprise to myself, I actually really like Miqo'te males. The sitting pose makes me all kind so of happy and they just look -cool-. Their lore is pretty interesting as well, tribal structure and all. If there weren't so many of them I might have rolled one already.

2. How do you view interracial couples in -game-? 

It doesn't bother me. Some pairings make me wince just because of the physical implications but love is love.

3. Do your OOC feelings towards a particular race make you more open or affect what your character is looking for when they're either flirting around, pursuing romance, or just, in general, acting differently towards those individuals?

Maybe a little. I don't think Jajara would ever consider a serious relationship with a Roegadyn even though they're a bunch of cuties, and spends her time  being intimidated by them instead.

She probably doesn't mean to but she tends to gravitate towards other lalafell and tends to be a little warmer with them from the get-go. Which isn't to say she isn't friendly towards other races, but she probably somewhat years for the sort of closeknit kinship she had with her family before she left them and she probably thinks that the closest thing to that she'll get is with other Dunesfolk. She has not considered the thought of starting a relationship with anyone of another race but a) she has not made that many close friends as of yet, b) is not much of a romantic to begin with. As of now she is in the mindset that if she were to seek out a romantic partner, it would probably have to be another Dunesfolk - but things might change through RP. Who knows? It hasn't really come up.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to her, so she tends to view such pairings with quiet disapproval. For example, her employer (sorry Garryson!) is apparently in a relationship with a Miqo'te lady and seems otherwise attracted to Miqo'tes in general and it seems a little... wasteful? As it is her understanding that a -lot- of people of all races died in the Calamity and it seems to make sense to want to reproduce. That and the obvious potential physical challenges just make it seems like it would be way too much of a hassle to even bother. To be fair, she doesn't quite understand homosexuality either and feels the same way about that. Jajara thinks of romance in terms of practicality rather than emotional fulfillment and that's probably why she's single. >_>

As mentioned, IRL I belong to the "Love is love" camp and so I support love of all colors and shapes.

I'm partial to the Male Highlander and Male Miqote design, personally. Which is why those two races are my alts :P. I actually don't much care for the whole tribal aspect of the Miqote, but their design is nice.

I don't care. Its weird for me seeing a Lala with anything that isn't a Lala, but really I don't care that much.

I try to let this not be the case, though I haven't ran into THAT many highlander males to see if I'm naturally swayed by them. I'm somewhat swayed by Miqote males, but I try to make a conscious effort for Loki to be just as snarky with them as with anyone else :P I have the opposite problem with Lalafell, as I tend to lean away from flirting with them and I have to remember that Loki wouldn't care.

Loki is somewhat sexual open, so she has had partners of all races. If there is one thing (and probably the only thing) she does not discriminate for, it's race.

As she is sexual open, she really doesn't have a problem with people getting their jolly's off with whoever. Her feelings are more open than my own, as I wouldn't touch a Lalafell, but she's more open to that idea.

As a new player I'll toss in my 2 gil.

OOC, Roe, Hyur, Miqo'te, and Elezen Women are pretty much all attractive in their own ways. Can't say much about animations yet etc. With Lalafell, I lean toward them being too childlike in appearance.

My take on this is pretty simple. Hey good for them, love needn't necessarily be physical, that's just one of it's facets.

Gharen is a broken individual. He doesn't flirt or pursue romance, simply because he doesn't know how. His mental state due to his upbringing is that of someone who always alone looking in from the outside even when in the middle of a crowd. And if it ever found him he wouldn't know what to do with it. His perception of his own self worth has been so warped that he doesn't believe he's worthy if such attention, as such he isolates himself.

Other characters I start might wind up very different. A Lalafell who thinks he's a Don Juan ladies man might be next. :D

Nope, race doesn't enter into Gharen's line of thinking.

He doesn't give them any second thought. They are what they are, just a fact of life.