Limsa Lominsa: A City Reborn

Candor

So, as some of you know, I posted this a short time ago to see how various players felt about the present three city-states. I personally find Limsa Lominsa to be the preferable of the three for several reasons that I'll discuss below.

Role-play Friendliness: Of the three cities, Limsa is the most RP friendly in that it has the widest range of RP environments. It has three taverns, of three different sizes and atmospheres, it has a high class restaurant, it has numerous neutral RP spots like the scaffolding on the lower level around the adventurers' guild, or the Anchor Yard, and it has everything along the sea level where characters can fish and RP on ships. And this is all in an environment that offers a view of the surrounding world, instead of closed off walls or clustered trees.

Originality: As far as I can tell, Limsa is the only original thing in this game. FFXIV is filled with many medieval fantasy tropes, and most of them are unavoidable. In terms of the two other cities, we have seen Ul'dah and Gridania in countless incarnations across movies, books, and video games. However, we have never really seen anything quite like Limsa Lominsa. Typically ports are more like Ul'dah, neatly laid out and walled - save for the port side. They tend to be Dickensian in atmosphere, cloistered buildings not rising terribly high, pollution, the works. The more quaint port cities are cleaner, more peaceful - save for the docks - and are usually bustling hubs of commerce watched over by the authorities.

Limsa isn't any of that. Limsa is a wide open city of spires rising out of the sea, ruled by pirates who swing the only weapon on earth no pirate would ever be caught dead with. And these are pirates that aren't lawless, aren't suffering scurvy, aren't sailing from port to port raiding and pillaging, aren't ransacking other ships. These are smartly dressed pirates, who all sport that special Square Enix beauty, and have conveniently organized themselves into specialized teams, some of which are the law enforcement. So, pirates who aren't pirates at all. AKA original.

Anyway! Back to my point. On the Balmung server Limsa has found itself devoid of RP for whatever reason, and I would like to fix that. So what I'm considering is a Limsa Lominsa LS, for characters that live and work in the city. Basically a community telephone, or maybe use it to broadcast a Limsa-wide "radio station" type thing. I'm really just spit balling here.

But the basic idea is that if you play a character that lives or works in Limsa, make a special effort to be there. If a community LS helps that, so be it. I'm happy to start and organize something to that effect, even if it means generating a completely new FC based in Limsa.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts in order to bring RP back to this great RP atmosphere that has no RP. RP. So what do you think?

Yea. I think other than USH, I've seen a couple RP guilds but not many. I think only time we ran into someone was we were holding a class, and a couple FCS I never seen before had claim on an rp area for the day and that was it. Although, I'm also working on a secondary project with a member to bring RP back out of Quicksands, besides Limsa. We should have more information in the upcoming days. Otherwise, its a great idea Sion.

Otherwise, I can take a LS Pearl for it to see what's going on.

Both of my characters have strong Lominsan roots and spend the majority of their time there. I'd be very happy to see more Limsa RP. (Hate Ul'dah lol)

Feel free to add Saehri Baasja to the list of Lominsan RPers. ^^

I'll try to be there more often! Aysun lives in Limsa.. but doesn't often spend time there because.. well, the RP was in Ul'dah, and she goes there everyday! Hope to see some folks soon. :)

I love this idea! A character that I'm working on would realistically spend a lot of time doing business in Limsa, though I was afraid that I would struggle to find RP on him as soon as he left Ul'dah. So if you make that LS, I would love to get a pearl on Naoh'to Mujuuk!

I'm collecting too many damn LS's as it is right now...but I love Limsa.

....dammit, fine.  Add me up.  I'm gonna be focusing pretty much exclusively on my Armorsmithing now, and Steel has always been at Naldiq & Vymelli's.

Gyr stated many of the best features of Limsa Lominsa, and I'd agree with all of them, having made Limsa my port-of-call ever since I traveled there.

The Quicksand does draw as a tavern, but I think Ul'Dah also draws people because of the lore of the city. It's run by the wealthy, is obviously a major trade hub, and gives people a good place to set up their fortune-seeking characters / companies / criminal associations.

But really, Limsa can work for much of that too. I especially second Gyr's statements about the "open" feel of the city. You get the lighthouse, sunrise/sunsets over the water, and ships ( all from an unobstructed point of view ) - and it even has those out-of-the-way areas that are seldom used but invite RP.

Basically, I'd tell everyone to explore Limsa. And perhaps, if it's not too OOC, to find a few spots to try RP at.

This is already more replies than I expected, and after seeing such an encouraging turn out and giving a lot of thought to the cause of bringing RP back to LL, I've decided to commit to the following plan. With some help from other LL enthusiasts, and a little luck, I think we can put LL back on the RP map. So, here's the plan:

Phase 1 - The Limsa Lominsa Presence

The first and most important phase of my plan is to make a special effort to remain in Limsa Lominsa during my RP time, and to encourage others to do the same. Players conglomerate on Ul'dah, because that's where the bulk RP is, but if some few of us resist that urge and establish a presence in LL, then I trust we'll see a small trickle of RP back to Limsa. No, we likely won't see the mob of RPers enjoyed by the Quicksand, but it's a necessary foundation for each of the following phases.

Phase 2 - The Limsa Lominsa RP LS

The Lominsan Society is going to be a linkshell open to any character who lives, works, mainly operates in Limsa Lominsa. It will also be open to any character that represents an FC that is based in LL. It will be non-specific to race or class, meaning that one needn't be an LL appropriate character type, such as a roegadyn armorer. However, the LS is not for character that will spend all their time in Ul'dah or Gridania. I'll be sure invite everyone who's already posted here, and anyone who posts later.

Phase 3 - The Limsa Lominsa Directory

This is perhaps the easiest phase of my new project, and will be as simple as a posting a thread in the Balmung Directory forum. The purpose of a LL Directory will be to establish and document who exactly RPs in LL, the roles their characters play, and anything else of note the players feel like sharing. This can be used in tandem with the Lominsan Society LS, to make players aware of which FCs exist and headquarter in Limsa Lominsa, or independently to assist LL players in finding other characters to contribute to their own stories.

Phase 4 - Limsa Lominsan FC Events

I'm going to be making a special effort to seek out LL based FCs and reach out to their leaders and event coordinators. My goal will be to ask these players to stage and advertise public events within Limsa Lominsa itself, in order to draw more players back to the city. If any Limsan FC leaders would like to reach out to me beforehand and start talking about possibilities, I'll be happy to do that.

Phase 5 - The Limsa Lominsa Skype Chat (Optional)

In my brief experience running an FC, and my experience afterward keeping a community of RPers together, I've found that a Skype group chat goes a long way towards encouraging friendly attitudes and RP. More than that, it helps to prevent much of the OOC drama that arises from RP since the players are all relatively acquainted with one another and people are less likely grief with people they know. Obviously this will be completely optional, and will only be implemented if a large enough number of player display interest.

Phase 6 - The Limsa Lominsan Free Company (Optional)

If the previous phases are successful then I will commit myself to building a Limsa Lominsa FC. Currently I have no premise, as I'm going to take this project in order, step by step. So this could end up being anything from a town council, to a shadow society secretly pulling LL's strings, to another trade regulation committee, or any number of differing themes. However the point will be to create an FC that headquarters and operates within LL, and tries to keep a bulk of the events held to La Noscea.

Open Invitation

Bringing RP back to a game area is no small task, and it's likely to be a slow and gradual process. As such, I'm under no illusions that I can successfully manage this alone, so I would be more than happy for anyone to step up and contribute in any way they think they can.

For example, any player could contribute by creating specialized LS's, perhaps an LS dedicated to Maelstrom soldiers or Yellow Jacket officers (like the existing Immortal Flame LS.) Obviously the idea can be applied to any small group type theme, like the numerous guilds in LL. Or perhaps as M'raj stated, players could make a special effort to bring the corruption based RP that attracts players to Ul'dah to LL. Anything that any player thinks will be fun, and will generate interest in LL is welcome.

Conclusion

This is my plan. I have no time frame, and I do not expect this to be an overnight resuscitation of RP back into LL. I do believe that there are many others who haven't posted here that would love to see LL receive more RP attention, and I'm certain that the community in general would benefit from the RP being spread out beyond Ul'dah. As I tackle each phase, I'll post here and keep people updated. Anyone wishing to contribute may post here or send me a PM. Any assistance at all is welcome, even if it's something as small as making a neat logo for the LS.

Thank you for reading my overly long post.

Due to the nature of Aeriyn's personal story, much of her roleplay revolves around Limsa Lominsa. The presence of the Arcanist's Guild plays a big part in this, and she is also an agent of the Maelstrom.

Aeri lives in Limsa, even though she was "born" in Ul'dah (her oldest memory is of Thanalan, though she was likely actually born in the Shroud as she is a Keeper of the Moon). She is a researcher of magic, an aetherial scholar who seeks to bridge the gaps between the three basic and widely-practiced methods of aetherial manipulation: thaumaturgy, conjury and arcanima, as well as seeking to understand older traditions and methodologies such as black magic and succor.

Her "day job" is that of an agent of the Maelstrom; she does scouting, recon, investigations of unusual magical phenomenon, which have become increasingly common since the Calamity. She has some knowledge of Garlean magitech but the meat of her studies tends to lean toward the devices and technologies of ancient Allag.

I'm absolutely wide open for unconnected "day in the life" RP with Aeriyn, as well as anyone who might be interested in involving themselves in Aeriyn's current plotline:

The Maelstrom assigned Aeriyn to investigate the abandoned temple of Oschon in La Noscea for reports of Imperial activity. She found them, but also found something else--a Nymian fairy that had been imprisoned within a shard of condensed corrupted aether. Aeriyn released her from the crystal, only to discover that the fairy, Rinah, had been severed from the astral flow and would soon face oblivion without Aeri's help.

Her search for a way to save Rinah led Aeri to the Burning Wall, a massive coalescence of corrupted aether in Eastern Thanalan. She took samples and conducted experiments; her research and queries with Mealvaan's Gate led her to believe that it could be possible to reconnect Rinah with the astral flow and that the knowledge she needed was lost somewhere within the fallen kingdom of Amdapor. Aeri has traveled to Gridania in order further her research.

Project Update

Phase 1 - The Limsa Lominsa Presence In Progress

I'll be making a special effort to spend my RP time in Limsa Lominsa. Any other players interested in Limsa based RP should feel free to send me a friend invite or Tell requesting such.

Phase 2 - The Limsa Lominsa RP LS In Progress

I'm now in the process of issuing invitations to the large number of players expressing interest. Please bear with me, as it may take me some time to get to you. If I take overly long, send me a friendly reminder.

Also, since many have asked, this will be an IC LS, but for now players should feel free to use it for OOC purposes. I'll cover the IC distribution of the LS after I have covered a bulk of the invitations.

Out of curiosity, I don't suppose any of this burgeoning rp in Limsa might spill over into the forum here?  I'd love love love to participate but I'm just getting into the swing of things and I don't think I'd be much use in-game (be starting from a level 1, haha).

But I am a very experienced forum rper and I could definitely participate in forum rp!! :D

I was thinking Zhavi will likely be a streetrat of sorts, a grunt or some shifty scrag who keeps t'backroom dealin's, iff'n y'get me drift. I always liked criminal/poorfolk rp. But um, yeah, if that's not where you want the focus to go I totally understand!

Project Update

Phase 2 - The Limsa Lominsa RP LS In Progress

Last night we enjoyed our first night with the new Limsa Lominsa LS and saw nearly forty characters join within the first few hours. That's a very encouraging start. For now, I intend to focus on the advertisement of the LS and gaining more members, as it's the cornerstone of luring players back to RPing in Limsa Lominsa.

In addition, I've registered the linkpearl on the RPC LS Directory, hopefully giving it more public accessibility. Please keep in mind that I encourage you all to continue RPing in Limsa, as this is going to be a gradual process that will only succeed if we tough it out even when it looks like progress is slow. And also please share the news of revitalizing Limsa with your RP friends, FCs, and other LSs.

Out of curiosity, I don't suppose any of this burgeoning rp in Limsa might spill over into the forum here?  I'd love love love to participate...

But I am a very experienced forum rper and I could definitely participate in forum rp!!

This is a great idea, Zhavi, and one that I hadn't considered. I personally under-utilize forum RP, but I know that others enjoy it a great deal. After I look over the RPC's forum format, and see just how play-by-post RP works here, I'll set up something for you and other players wishing to join you.