observing RP

I watch a lot of RP in Quicksand, something to do while working. Occasionally, it will turn into RP. As for if I am IC, I tend to try to note in my tag if I am OOC, but generally I try my best to be IC any time I am watching RP in 'social places.' (Meaning, given that I see a message directed to me I will respond.)

The whole concept of watching people in a Tavern is very natural. The Quicksand (and all main city taverns) is not a shady place where you expect folks to mind their own business. In fact, there are several cut scenes that do the exact opposite.  

Watching an RP in a different location, like down an alley, outside in a field, and pretty much any place where folks do not mingle, dine, and wine would cause alarm for the... "observee?" Someone following and watching you IRL like that would probably result in a foul time. As such I tend to make some sort of "/em is certainly not watching RP OOCly." to make it clear I am just watching the RP... not ICly spying\eavesdropping.

I encourage watching people's RP. Sometimes, a quiet mouth and a fully functioning set of ears is all you need to get involved with an event, someone's personal RP or otherwise extend a new bridge towards other types of scenarios.

I personally like to bring pumpkins towards the attention of the community because who DOESN'T need to be loving pumpkins year round?

I love jumping into the fray of a serious conversation, only to suddenly have Gus toss up:

"Salutations sir? This conversation seems dry; care t'wet y'larynx with t'greatest ale in ALL Hydalen?"

It gets me excited just thinking about it!

Goodness, it should get everyone excited! Final Fantasy XIV is a terrific game.

... I also had a few pumpkin beers so I'm being overly cheery writing this.

[align=center]:thumbsup:[/align]

It's definitely a great learning experience. But obviously I'd rather be in on the action. I'd also never have a problem with people lurking through an entire meeting/conversation that I had with someone else. If it's in /say chat it's fair game :).

It's probably not a good idea to eavesdrop RP of people who have you blacklisted and with whom you have ongoing or lingering drama with, however, especially outside of RP hotspots.

I enjoy observing RP if I stumble across it and I'm happy for people to do the same with my own RP. It's an excellent way to work out whether it's worth approaching someone by checking if their style is compatible with one's own.

So... I have a question that is somewhat similar to this.

I was RPing last night and I noticed that a character had mine targeted the whole time I was in Quicksand for a bit. I started to get paranoid thinking that their character was ICly watching mine's each and every move.

.... Even as Kage walked out of Quicksand the head followed >.>;

When I ran back in OOCly they were just teleporting away.

I mean, should I possibly consider this as just characters being IC and just curious or watching? Should I have actually asked OOCly "Hi are you ICly watching my character?"

So... I have a question that is somewhat similar to this.

I was RPing last night and I noticed that a character had mine targeted the whole time I was in Quicksand for a bit. I started to get paranoid thinking that their character was ICly watching mine's each and every move.

I mean, should I possibly consider this as just characters being IC and just curious or watching? Should I have actually asked OOCly "Hi are you ICly watching my character?"

I would have left it alone unless you'd planned to engage in roleplay. Most of the time, if someone decides to perform some kind of clandestine activity IC that involves my character, I've already signed off on it.

Sometimes it does seem hard to read the motivations and intentions of others, in regards to the PC that was watching you so intently. I agree with what was said about not bothering to approach them unless you wanted to keep it IC, though since there are non-RPing individuals on the server, I'm assuming best etiquette would be to check their info to make sure they do RP before your approach. Which I'm sure is something that everyone here puts to practice anyway, so I'm just rambling. lol

I wholeheartedly agree with something else that was said in previous posts, about things in /say being fair game. Realistically, people talk aloud all the time, and within ear-shot of many other people so... Eavesdropping is bound to happen, but that's just the way of the world. Unless you happen to be telepathic. I believe it benefits RP, even if you are total strangers. You never know when you might stumble across an ongoing plot somewhere, and you just happened to hear something that gives you a small foothold. Sometimes, adventurers will find themselves roped into unexpected situations just because they happened to inadvertently overhear what seemed to be "random gossip".

If I'm ever RPing in /say with someone, I don't mind at all if another RPer happens on by and either steps into the conversation because of something that was said, or tucks that knowledge away for if we ever meet again. It feels realistic, and makes Eorzea feel even more like a living, breathing world filled with real people and a chance to strengthen bonds or rivalries with said people. If everything was said in party chat or whispers, then... Well, in my opinion, it would feel as though the world didn't have much going on to connect people outside of what they may plan OOC, and sometimes, people just want to go with the flow and see how things develop without having a solid plan.

Not to mention it's a great way to have brand new people brought to your attention. New friends ftw!

That's hard to say. If they're in public doing it, and you noticed it, and you were RPing in public, and your character would notice it... would it play well for you narratively? Would a paranoid moment help with your character development? If so, I'd run with it. I often take strange things like this IC and comment on them in IC chat; one time, I had a lalafell in smallclothes stare at me. They ran away when I acknowledged them IC, then ran back to do it again when I went back to the conversation I was having. Whether this person was IC or OOC, I don't know, but it was an amusing narrative moment.

So, I'd run with it IC if it works for you narratively. If not, chalk it up to the oddities of OOC and ignore it. :)

I spend most of my time being an observer because there are some genuinely interesting folks being roleplayed about. That's what Cris is IC too and he will shamelessly eavesdrop on nearby folks using /say /em in a public space. I will put out an emote of my own that hints that he's listening and if people don't want him to be they can send me a /tell and I won't mind at all.

But yeah, imo /say and /em (unless that person specifically says in that emote that they've lowered their voice so only X can hear or something) are both fair game for eavesdropping. Same goes if my character is the one being careless.

I also like to acknowledge characters that are staring at mine because Cris' reactions to such things are fun.