observing RP

I was wondering on peoples thoughts on observing other peoples roleplay, I am personally of the thoughts that if it is in say then it is typically public and if I am out of the way not interfering or distracting then it isn't much of an issue, as if it was private it would be done in party.

opinions?

One of my favorite things to do is go to crowded places where people RP, usually the Quicksand, and observe people RP. It's interesting to me, the choices people make with their characters and how they choose to react to certain situations. And sometimes something crazy or funny happens, and it's worth a good laugh. Not at anyone's expense, of course. Just sometimes us RPers are god damn hilarious.

Most things that are written are at some point meant to be read, and roleplay is no exception! People who would rather participate in private scenes typically take them to private channels, so scenes done in /say are often fair game for observation. Lots of people actually enjoy having their stuff read by others! I know I have a grand time just having my toon stand around to eavesdrop on nearby conversations while I take in the bigger scope of things (including the things that Berrod can't see or hear, but I can because of say range). 

There's sometimes a wariness about observers due to the fear of metagaming -- if a player's toon is camped out near a scene out of character and ends up using knowledge gleaned from the interaction in character later. That's always going to be a very small risk in some circumstances, but it doesn't make observing impolite at all! Just make sure to remember what has been seen/heard out of character as opposed to what  has been seen/heard in character and treat them accordingly. 

Observe to your heart's content!

I observe a lot. ICly and OOCly. However I do very much strive to keep it that if my character is out running about as a BLM that I don't use that knowledge ever IC. I may joke about it OOCly but I work really hard to keep that out of IC RP.

In fact for a long time my character's IC actions -were- just observing people in Quicksand.

I wouldn't worry too much about it seeming impolite or anything. Some of us have made out careers out of being serial eavesdroppers.

For your security, citizen!

Guilty as charged. When I don't feel like leveling or not rping myself. I like to stand around and watch others rping.

Watching RP isn't something you should be nervous of at all. A lot of people do it, even if you don't think it. Sometimes, you may never even know who might have been around the corner, eavesdropping. 

Sometimes, I'd like to think that RP watching has led to more interesting RPs than actually participating. It's a strange kind of magic.

If its in a public channel it can be overheard!  (though if they're specifically emoting something as quiet, whispered, subtle, etc, then it is best to act as if it had not been noticed or heard IC).  Observe, interact, have fun! ^_^

Watching RP isn't something you should be nervous of at all. A lot of people do it, even if you don't think it. Sometimes, you may never even know who might have been around the corner, eavesdropping. 

Sometimes, I'd like to think that RP watching has led to more interesting RPs than actually participating. It's a strange kind of magic.

OSCARE WOULD KNOW.

OSCARE WOULD KNOW.

SHHHHHHHHHHH.

IT'S NOT MY FAULT OSCARE IS A NOSY LITTLE SON OF A GUN.

HUNTERS NEED TO KNOW THESE THINGS.

GAWD, BERROD.

If there is someone I know I want to RP with in the future, I prefer to watch them RP for awhile before approaching them so that I can get a feel for their style. When scouting I will still act IC but I almost never use the information gathered. I only use the information given when people were specifically interacting with me or if something happened that logically would have caught the attention of everyone present like a brawl or someone shouting. If I am actively RPing, I view information as fair game, within reason. I will ignore conversations around me if I am caught up in my own or if I feel like the distance between me on the character is too great to reasonably hear it just like IRL.

I don't mind people observing me as I'm usually RPing with my fiance. Sometimes when I'm working on commissions, I will log in and watch people RP on my second monitor and it's quite entertaining.

However, the problem I have run into once already are people watching my RP and scouting for someone to ERP with. My fiance and I were just doing a back and forth thing in the Quicksand and he had a female approach him privately about how she'd like to get to know his character better because she thought he was cute despite the fact that it was very obvious our characters were 'hitting it off'.

That's the only time I have an issue really.

I rather enjoy being eavesdropped on and having people jump in and react. For instance, the other night, I was RPing at the Bismarck and L'yhta said something to the effect of, "It doesn't matter anyway, since the power of Elementals in the Shroud is broken and unlikely to recover any time in our lives, if ever," and got a dirty look from a nearby Keeper of the Moon. That was great. :)

If I want something to be private, I'll emote whispering, talking quietly, etc. and take it to party or tells. If a scene is intended to be fully private (such as a plot thing), I won't do it in a public location -- "public" in this case meaning "obviously public," such as a tavern, inside a city-state, or the like and not just "anywhere that other people could possibly find you."

So, if you see me out RPing in /say, feel free to eavesdrop, but also don't be surprised if L'yhta notices you and responds (assuming you don't tell me you're there OOC first). ICA = ICC. :)

I spy so much oocly, all my friends have come to expect me going "Oh sorry, I saw these people rping and stopped to listen." >.>

I really love stories. And I love finding those amazing, well-written and lore appropriate stories that may get lost in the hussle and bussle. When I find those they can make me think and get creative myself and make me want to rp. I LOVE finding other people's stories, especially when they work within the confines of the lore.

I love it, you guys are better than TV.

I like to lurk RP. Not only is it some entertainment in game if I'm tabbing in and out, but it's also a great way to find some inspiration and perhaps some role-players/characters you'd like to meet. Most people don't really care if you eavesdrop (as long as it's OOC eavesdropping). If it's in a public channel it's, well, public after all, and it's kinda flattering. Every now and then you may find someone RPing something incriminating in /say or /em because they think they're in a part of the map where no one will find them and they may not take too kindly to you listening in, but that's their lack of oversight for using a public chat channel.

I love to observe other peoples' RP. And if they seem open to my character joining, I love to jump in. The reverse is true too, I almost never turn away a walkup! I think the only time I might OOCly sigh about an interruption is when I've taken RP to a super out of the way place in an attempt to get like....a serious conversation done without it being interrupted. But occasions like that are few and far between, and most of the time even in the more out of the way spots, it's pretty amusing to have someone stumble on her. I've lost count of how many times Lalah and her boyfriend have been interrupted just as things were getting sappy, or romantic, or uh...y'know. More often than not, it's just straight up hilarious!

I was wondering on peoples thoughts on observing other peoples roleplay, I am personally of the thoughts that if it is in say then it is typically public and if I am out of the way not interfering or distracting then it isn't much of an issue, as if it was private it would be done in party.

opinions?

Observing in public for educational purposes is something I think everyone new to Rp should do or those getting back into it for a while.

Observing for the purpose of gathering IC knowledge is a little different though. I always try to emote something so people "know" Ros is active ICly and listening to them to give them a chance to reply. IMO it's kinda dick to just stand there silently then turn around and be like "Oh, I heard you that night."

Ex: Roswyn leans against the nearby pillar, eyes focused ahead and her ears pricked forward. She occasionally peers to her right, sipping her drink in hand before looking ahead again.

It's too easy for people to assume you're afk/chatting in LS/tabbed out etc.

Sometimes I like watching roleplay. I'd rather be in it of course. Sometimes when the room feels right I'll emote to myself and see if the other rpers are interested in me joining. The only time I've really noticed it distracting is when someone not rping with you is standing awkwardly close or in the middle of two people having a conversation. Or just standing close and staring. In a public setting it's awkward. . .and it's a wee bit awkward in rp too. . .especially if they start remarking on the rp without capitalizing letters. 

:moogle:

I am SUPER LURKY as the few who might have seen me around the Quicksand can attest. I have trouble approaching people because most times I'm just like "welp these people all have their own thing going on no need for me to interfere nope let's just emote drinking ale while researching OSes for T.Hawk".

Which isn't super conductive to actually RPing, I know, but they're my neuroses and I gotta live with them.

I'm pretty sure it's one of the most common things roleplayers do, I mean just look at the responses so far. My character back in WoW (5+ years ago) lived off eavesdropping people, she'd sit down in a bar and wait, and eventually someone would spill the juices on some plans, which she could then report to her superiors. 

Of course one has to abide by the typical rules, like respecting the hearing distance (which doesn't always = to the /say range, as it is in medium FC houses you are always in range of everyone) whilst also taking in environmental factors - Like, if you are in a busy bar like the quicksand you likely wouldn't be able to hear from across the room what people are saying - there's absolutely no harm in it unless you get caught icly and people didn't appreciate it ;) 

And obviously, if you're ooc and you pass by some RP, it's pretty common decency not to act as though you were IC when you heard it, but that's a given really.

I'll normally indicate to people whether or not I'm creeping or intend to join in just so they don't get nervous about it. Likewise, I really do appreciate it when people return the favor. It lets players know what to expect.

If I'm involved in roleplay that IS closed-session, It's normally on certain very rare occasions where something delicate or deeply impactful to the story is happening and it would sort of murder the narrative, chop up its body into pieces, and stick the chunks in freezer to have to stop and ask somebody if they wouldn't mind leaving enough alone. That kind of important RP is really the only time I'll take anything into /party chat.

Even then, I'm normally cool with bringing people in once they know what is going on or letting them spy if they wanna.

I personally don't mind other players observing my RP. If it's in /say it's meant to be read anyway. Though it's hard to tell sometimes when folks are IC if they're just standing around, and I tend to assume OOC unless otherwise specified.

When information gets sensitive though, and the scene is taken elsewhere, it does bother me if someone just follows to listen. At least send a /tell or something to ask if it's alright, if they're ICly there, or whatever. I've had an instance where another player stalked some of my RP without a word until we just moved to party chat. Really bugs me.