Hello! I'm in love!

Just wanted to say howdy, y'all! :D I am in love with this game, so figured I would say hi!

Briefly about me as a gamer: My fantasy love affair began with EverQuest about a decade ago. It lasted a few years. Then I briefly enjoyed EQ2 and WoW, but only briefly. My love of video games died off when my PS2 got old, so I've not been a gamer for awhile. I recently decided to splurge on myself and get a PS4, because I missed calling myself a gamer. So Thief and Assassin's Creed are fun, but I was perusing mmorpg.com last week and saw FFXIV on the list. I scoffed, because I remember many years ago playing some turn-based Final Fantasy game and hated it. Plus FFXIV didn't seem "traditional Western fantasy" as I have been accustomed to. But since I saw it was on the PS4 as well, I figured what the hell.

Let me reiterate: I am in LOVE. This isn't just a game, it's a WORLD. I turn on my console and I feel like I am actually another person in another world, and it's fantastic! :lol: The lore is full of depth, and I eat up all the in-game text as well as lore sources I've read about online for my own education. The zone layouts (so far just La Noscea and Limsa Lominsa), the characters... everything! The only thing that bugs me is that it's not an open world (I like to explore) and that I can't climb or jump off of many places. But despite this fact, I never feel like I am pushed through zone paths. It still feels like a huge open world, which is great, until I try to climb or jump (or look down to the Aetheryte Plaza in Limsa Lominsa... but it's not bustling with activity because I'm technically not in that zone).

Briefly about me as a person: I'm 23 from Tennessee! I'm a massage therapist, will soon be going back to school for two years to become a yoga therapist. I used to consider myself gay, but recently realized that it's ludicrous to substantially identify myself based on my sexuality because I am so much more than that. I am person, man, spirit, soul. I'm kind of an old cat lady, because I love to be at home with my cat and read (or now, play games) when I am not at work or hiking or out in nature somewhere. I enjoy dancing and meditating, and am growing an urban vegetable garden on my porch.

That said... once again: HELLO! :thumbsup: It's a pleasure to introduce myself to the community. I tried to get on Balmung but only managed to get onto Gilgamesh early one morning earlier this week.

I have a few questions, if I may:

- Where are good RP spots on Gilgamesh? I am kind of new to roleplaying... it's mostly just been in my head before. So any starter tips would be appreciated.

- Anyone know if I can play with my PS4 controller but also use a keyboard? Not sure I would like mouse and keyboard gaming because the controller is great, but a social hindrance for me has been communication. My PlayStation app where I can input text disconnects whenever my phone sleeps, and it's time consuming and frustrating trying to type. So my online interactions have been limited.

- Is there a Hydaelyn world map? I just finished my first airship travels to the other city-states, and the Garlean cut scene threw me for a loop. I was stoned and briefly thought my PS4 switched to some sci-fi game I didn't know I had. :P So I did some research and learned of the Garlean Empire and magitek, and learned that Eorzea is actually a continent called Aldernard, one of "three great continents." I'm a lore junkie... I know everything about EverQuest's Norrath and even did a presentation on it once, haha. So when I went to check out where exactly the Garleans are, they're just this cloudy part of the Eorzean map and Google searches gave me no information about the other two continents.

- Where can I check out some roleplaying guilds? Er, Free Companies, I think they're called? Now that a lot of the intro stuff is gone through, which I had a blast playing for several days, I would like to start making some friends and having some social interaction.

- Without too much spoiler... where did my character come from? I created him, a Dunesfolk Lalafell, with my backstory in my head being that he came from Ul'dah. But the story so far just kinda has me floating with the Mothercrystal then dropped off on a ship to Limsa Lominsa without me knowing why. Should I follow this story for my character, or should I create something else entirely? Like a different reason for leaving his Ul'dah home to venture into Limsa Lominsa?

I am long winded, I'm aware... but I am done now. So thanks ahead of time for any questions answered or any greetings given! Peace! <3

Hello there!

The Quicksand or the Drowning wench generally have RP going on, but it seems like most people on Gilgy aren't that fond of Tavern RP so they are not as frequented anymore.

There is an IC linkshell I can invite you to, just send me a tell in game (Zachree Rowlaux) and I'll invite you. There is also an OOC linkshell I can invite you to for the specific purpose of finding RP.

Some events are located on the calendar here, with one coming up relatively soon but there is likely going to be a couple of impromptu get togethers before then.

Unfortunately my knowledge of PS4 is limited. I think you can get a keyboard hookup but I am unsure. D: I'm a PC gamer myself.

You can find Free Companies here: http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15&filtertf_srvr=Gilgamesh

As well as some linkshells. Many of the free companies of Gilgamesh have not put their FCs up in there though, so it might be beneficial for you to go to a event and scope out what's there and who you like best.

Where your character came from is entirely up to you. Some people have started off with amnesia story that is later resolved through the storyline. I personally have my own origins and play loosely with the story. (cause I have a few issues with it)

Let me know if you have any more questions! Cheers!

Hello and welcome! I'm glad you're enjoying the world of FFXIV - your sentiments mirror a lot of my own, especially when I first hopped aboard.

Since I'm on Balmung and playing on a PC, I can really only take an attempt at the last couple of questions there. For a world map, I'd probably just google FFXIV World Map and try to piece things together. (Sorry I'm not very helpful with that one!)

This site has many Linkshells/FCs in the Directory. So, feel free to browse what's over there and see if there are any that pique your interest. ^^

As for your character deviating from the intro of the game, I think a lot of people do that. My character was raised by a division of the Deh tribe, but worked in Limsa for five years after the Calamity as a courier. She has a bright personality and a very detailed backstory, but she doesn't have the Echo or most things that the main story of the game dictates. As long as it doesn't break the lore, I think you can give your character whatever background or present-day circumstance that you want them to have.

- Is there a Hydaelyn world map? I just finished my first airship travels to the other city-states, and the Garlean cut scene threw me for a loop. I was stoned and briefly thought my PS4 switched to some sci-fi game I didn't know I had. :P So I did some research and learned of the Garlean Empire and magitek, and learned that Eorzea is actually a continent called Aldernard, one of "three great continents." I'm a lore junkie... I know everything about EverQuest's Norrath and even did a presentation on it once, haha. So when I went to check out where exactly the Garleans are, they're just this cloudy part of the Eorzean map and Google searches gave me no information about the other two continents.

There is no "World Map of Hydaelyn" unfortunately. The only map we have is of Eorzea, found here. A roughly translated map can be found here, but note that some of the place names have spelling typos. Some Eorzean lettering can be confusing at first.

Eorzea has a deep and dark history tracing back at least 7-10 thousand years since Man first walked it. But we have very little lore of the other continents, but we can assume they have just as lush a history. What we do know is that Ilsabard is the northern-most of the three Great Continents and is connected to Aldenard (the western-most) via a land bridge which can be viewed on the Eorzea Map. Ilsabard is the birth place of the Garlean Empire, which is the "evil empire" of this game.

Garlemald, its capitol, was once a tiny city-state that had no real military might and was at the mercy of its larger, more militaristic neighbors. Until they entered an industrial revolution after the discovery of Magitek (ancient Allagan warmachines and relics) and began conquering their neighbors. In the spam of a few years, the Garleans conquered all of Ilsabard before setting their sights on Othard (the Eastern-most Great Continent). From lore, we've learned that they conquered most of Othard, but not all. They then set their sights on Aldenard/Eorzea.

You'll find out more about all of that as you progress through the Main Storyline, so I won't give you any spoilers. Other than that, there is a distinction to be made between the Three Great Continents and the mention of other continents. It's referenced in passing that there are additional continents besides the Three Great ones. One to the west beyond Aldenard, which its believed Miqo'te once inhabited. There's also mention of a continent to the south, below the Cieldaeles and across the Rhotano Sea, but next to nothing is known about it. This is probably why there's no "World Map" because as they go along with expansions and patches and the like, we're likely to get new areas or continents to explore. Fingers crossed!

I hope this helps! ^^ Lemme know if you have any more lore questions!

Thanks for the help, y'all! :)

I've sufficiently got my feet wet, and now that I'm in my 20s I have got a general knack of the game and what's going on and how it all connects.

I ended up transferring to Balmung, by the way. Is there a Free Company directory I've missed? I perused all the linkshells that was linked to me by Zoe, but some are FC based and some aren't. And the couple that I thought would mesh well are Heavy RP focused, and right now my focus is to take my time getting to 50 and exploring the world and my character (and some light RP), but I don't wanna delve much into heavy RP until later.

Oh, and regarding the rest of the world map... very exciting stuff to know that there is so much possibility out there for expansion! I'm blown away at the detail of all of Eorzea... it's a whole world itself! Loving all the lore. :love:

EDIT: So I just discovered FFXI... which has all the same races FFXIV has, but with entirely different names? And the world is Vana'diel? Are the Final Fantasy games not all set in the same world, or what? I was surprised that after such a long FF history, there was only one continent to map (Eorzea), but after poking round the FFXI website, I am just all kinds of confused!

EDIT: So I just discovered FFXI... which has all the same races FFXIV has, but with entirely different names? And the world is Vana'diel? Are the Final Fantasy games not all set in the same world, or what? I was surprised that after such a long FF history, there was only one continent to map (Eorzea), but after poking round the FFXI website, I am just all kinds of confused!

The FF series are almost all set in separate, individual worlds. But there are some exceptions(ie. there are a couple FFs set in the world of Ivalice). However there are key themes and elements that are carried over from previous final fantasies into every world. So that each game world is new but has something familiar, and very final fantasy about it. XIV is no exception.

Hydaelyn is a completely unique world from the rest of the series, however, it comprises very notable features from its predecessors. For instance, the races are loosely based appearance-wise off of XI. Although the lore surrounding the races is completely different and Roegadyn are not an asexual slave race with tails like their Galkan counterparts. Crystal Tower (known as Syrcus Tower in XIV) is straight out of III. The Masked Mage you meet in the opening cutscene and at the Lv15 MSQ is from a storyline based near entirely out of XII. The list of Easter Eggs goes on and on...