Active RP FCs [Balmung]

adam86

Aeon is very EU friendly, and we're always looking for more EU players to fill our ranks! Our members are from all over the world, including (at least) 4 Brits, an Aussie, and several North Americans who never sleep. One of our three FC leaders, Brynhilde Wulf, is on GMT and will probably be around at the times you are.

If you'd like, take a peek over at rune.enjin.com and see if we're for you! :)

Not that I know of but if you want to be proactive in you search then you could try wandering from player FC house to player FC house in all the districts to check just in case. From what I know though, there are a few somewhere in Mist or Goblet player districts. Hope that helps!

Curious if theres any active RP FCs on Balmung that's EU friendly? I've searched the directory but every FC I liked seemed impossible to catch the GM in-game. Any sugestions

You might not need to catch the GM in-game.  Try grabbing one of the members!  Or if they're on the RPC, try sending them a private message through the forums.  :)

I did look at Aeon but noticed its miqo'te restriction

Yeah. Aeon was my first choice for an FC, baring Athereal Warriors. Dat Miqo'te restriction is inconvenient, but I understand why they would want to promote racial diversity.   ._.

As do I and totally respect their choice :)

I was also curious about FCs on this server, but my main wonder was whether or not FC RPers would typically only interact with their FC? I don't have one of my own as of yet because I'm not really certain what it is I'm looking for in one, but I've had this apprehension about FCs and whether or not they were pretty "exclusive" or withdrawn from everyone else in the game because they were more focused on their own FC plotlines and such.

I also have been a little leery about randomly applying to one without having met anyone from the group because I suppose I foolishly wish to find one that I got swept away in purely by chance. I suppose I just prefer the idea of knowing some people/letting them know me before I came knocking as some random unknown traveler who wants membership.

^ It really depends on the FC.

I can only answer for my own here. Night Blades lies somewhere in the middle. We have our own plotlines that take up a lot of members time, should they choose it to, and some members pretty much only RP exclusively with other members of the FC. However, we go to Social Server events, a lot of members actively RP with people outside the FC, and we have an ooc ls specifically made because we have a lot of people outside our FC involved in our plotlines.

I THINK you're going to find any FC with a plotline on it's own is like that, somewhere in the middle. There are FC's that rely on outside storylines to keep their members from getting bored, and there are FCs that just don't interact with anyone outside of it all, but I think most will fall right in the middle.

Generally, I see cross FC interaction all the time - even off hand the Night Blades regularly works with 3 or 4 FCs, and rps with countless other people in different FCs. I'm pretty sure it's like that for most of them.

Personally, from experience, most RPFC's tend to have one central plot line that everyone follows then multiple sub plots started by others that connect with or are somewhat related to the RP. There are a few FC's that allow others outside of their FC to participate but most dont, but that doesn't mean they wont start outside events with you.

My thought is this on the matter, apply to the one's that catch youre interest, otherwise, just hang somewhere else and individual RP without an essential plot line to follow. The main thing to establish here is that most people tend to want to join RP FC's because of the amount of players inside of them. Solo-RPing without a group can be very boring and difficult at times.

I did look at Aeon but noticed its miqo'te restriction

Yeah. Aeon was my first choice for an FC, baring Athereal Warriors. Dat Miqo'te restriction is inconvenient, but I understand why they would want to promote racial diversity.   ._.

As do I and totally respect their choice :)

My apologies, I didn't check first. Well don't I just feel like a giant ass now. :blush:

I was also curious about FCs on this server, but my main wonder was whether or not FC RPers would typically only interact with their FC? I don't have one of my own as of yet because I'm not really certain what it is I'm looking for in one, but I've had this apprehension about FCs and whether or not they were pretty "exclusive" or withdrawn from everyone else in the game because they were more focused on their own FC plotlines and such.

I also have been a little leery about randomly applying to one without having met anyone from the group because I suppose I foolishly wish to find one that I got swept away in purely by chance. I suppose I just prefer the idea of knowing some people/letting them know me before I came knocking as some random unknown traveler who wants membership.

As Armi and Live said, it really depends on the FC, but most do interact with other role-players outside their FC, it's just varies how much depends on the FC and the individual player. My own FC follows what Live stated in that we have one central company-wide plot, several other plots members of the company have created, and each character in the company usually has their own personal plot development going on.

Oh yeah, I forgot about personal plot's. Really then there are four types of plots that are part of a regular RPFC. FC RP plotline, Side plotlines initiated by a collective group of people in the FC, minor plotlines that usually take place disconnected or disjointed from the FC's plotline, and a personal RP, which is centered around the person it is about.

Generally those are the type's of RP you should be aware of.

@Faye

Thanks for pointing that out. I appreciate it.   :P

Thank you, everyone, for your informative replies. >^.^<

I was aware of the various types of RP plots in the game, I just wasn't sure how common/uncommon it was for the people involved in those plots to notice anyone outside of their FC, that's all. I know that some plots in the game are probably very time consuming and of high interest to those involved, and I likely wouldn't want to feel pulled away either. Was just wondering as an outsider what the chances were to interact with some of you guys already swept away in your FC stuff.

As was mentioned earlier, solo-RP can get boring and really difficult, especially if you play most of the game alone in terms of content already. It sounds like there are many fantastic roleplayers on this server, so was just trying to gauge my chances of ever bumping into them without being a part of their FC and it's plot.

As was mentioned earlier, solo-RP can get boring and really difficult, especially if you play most of the game alone in terms of content already. It sounds like there are many fantastic roleplayers on this server, so was just trying to gauge my chances of ever bumping into them without being a part of their FC and it's plot.

One of the best ways to meet people (and by extension their FC/LS) is to talk to people whose characters you find interesting and arrange a "chance" meeting. That way, you can interact and see how things go. You might also get an invitation to an event, which would be an easy way to meet people, or an invite to the group's OOC channel. You might also try checking out some of the common RP spots outside of taverns (Camp Bronze Lake, the beach in Mist, the Bismarck, etc.) to see if you can run into anyone RPing.

I'll be honest -- it's not common for people to end up in an RP FC by just meeting people in the field and RPing with them. That said, a few of Mysterium's members are those we met while RPing out in the world, so it's certainly possible to get looped in unexpectedly. :)

What I did to integrate myself (am I integrated? I guess so) was to find characters I liked on the wiki and then pm the player here. With forum rp we'd set up a plot ahead of time, but with in game rp generally I'd just come with an idea, and roll forward with a very basic premise. At this point I've rped with people in many different FCs, and if I wanted to try to turn one of those into a home for Zhi I likely could (assuming all the ooc stuff checked out and so on and so forth) -- but she's built to be anti-social, so no FC for her or me. But it is possible, I think; first step is to find people to rp with. Once you've tried rp out with several different people, then you'll start getting more rp opportunities. After that you can start looking at FCs from an IC perspective, and just let things flow that way.

But the first step is inevitably communication. If you're in the right place at the right time you'll find it spontaneously in the great wild yonder -- but if you're like me and like to stack odds in your favor, try out the pming-people-you-want-to-rp-with angle.

People are friendly. The only time I've ever gotten a no was back when I could only rp on the forums and there were one or two who didn't care for forum rp, in which case they were open to rping in game (unless we're counting people who didn't reply, but eh, let's be optimistic and count that as two ships passing in the night whose comm systems were busted).

...(unless we're counting people who didn't reply, but eh, let's be optimistic and count that as two ships passing in the night whose comm systems were busted).

Flare gu-

*remembers the Titanic and the Californian*

...never mind.

Hrm...

Most dedicated RPers on this server are dedicated to an RP FC, and due to their high recruitment standards and procedures, not many find their way into one. If you wanna RP full time then you will be hard pressed to get into one of the big RPFC's.   :I

I'd disagree. Most FC's are pretty simple to get into. Some are geared toward certain types of characters, and some have an application process and/or an IC interview, but I haven't happened across very many that are particularly exclusive or elite.

I would agree. My only problem is having to apply on a website to join. I mean, I can just tell them I have an RPC wiki for my character so that sort of kills the entire point of applying. Not to mention that I have to sign up for the website to apply and that clogs up my email.   @_@

It's nice to know that many FCs are accessible rather than completely exclusive. I'm just leery with FCs in general. Even over on Midgardsormr, I never was able to find one, not to mention I would just be bombarded with random invites all day long from people who never even bothered to talk to me. I'll admit it was very refreshing to join this server and see the difference, knowing that the FCs here obviously took more care in who they brought in. But for a shy person like me, that still is a bit of a set back. lol

@Freelance Wizard - It gives me hope hearing you say that people were brought into your own group by chance. It may be detrimental to most people these days who are looking for the most efficient way to get involved in a group, but I've always preferred the natural process of getting to know people vs. being a random unknown who sends in an application for an FC person to be like "who the f* is this?". Maybe I just want to know more about the people I'd be getting involved with, rather than filling out an application, going through the process of recruitment, only to find that none of us are satisfied and it was just a big waste of time all around.

EDIT: And I'll agree with the above... Signing up on yet another website to apply to an FC that may not even work out seems a bit... Well, I also don't like putting my email out there more than I have to. I've finally pulled away from the days of having a ton of spam in my inbox and I'd like to keep it that way. lol

Maybe I just want to know more about the people I'd be getting involved with, rather than filling out an application, going through the process of recruitment, only to find that none of us are satisfied and it was just a big waste of time all around.

I tend not to view this process as a waste of time, and a large part of my character's backstory revolves around how she didn't fit into a number of groups before finding a couple that she did - which in turn changed her in very profound ways.

This being said, I do sympathize with that mentality of just wanting to get to the 'destination' without the frustration and effort of the journey. Everyone wants to find their niche and it isn't always easy. FC's have ongoing storylines and when I stop and think about our own I realize that it keeps me busy to the point where I often don't get to RP with folks outside the group as much as I would like (and will be more proactive in "branching out" in the weeks/months to come as well because as much as I love our FC members, I know there are a lot of awesome RPers out there beyond our own borders).

I would suggest learning a bit more about the few that seem most interesting to you (which makes me also very much aware that our own Crystalline page here needs a major overhaul since we are very out-of-date), and then hang around with some of their members. It has been said - and I agree - that most FC's are very accommodating. We like when people visit our grounds in Lavender Beds (OOCly anyway, some of our members are ICly a little standoffish/paranoid, but we're mercs and many of us legitimately have chips on our shoulders) and we want to make sure members are a good fit for us as well. Even if you land yourself in a company that seems ideal at first but turns out not to be what you expected, you can still RP that mismatch as being illuminating for the character, and just another stepping stone along the broken road that takes him or her to wherever he or she is headed.

There is the fact that you will have to be somewhat proactive to do this - which sometimes doesn't favor those who are on the shy end of the spectrum - but I have seen this proactivity rewarded on many occasions. Most FC's are relatively stationary and respond when interested parties come to them to join. One of our officers was holding a regular recruitment event (usually in Ul'dah outside of the Adventurer's Guild) which had mixed results, but offered an avenue for some RP with freelancers and those from other companies. I'll probably speak with her soon to see about resurrecting this practice, since it was a lot of fun and sent some of us out of our own comfort zone. :)