Carbuncle question

I discovered when you walk down to the training ring in the Arcanists Guild with Carbuncles in it a guy says to you, "Keep your voice low lest you disturb the summons."

So do you think he's saying that Carbuncle is actually sensitive to loud noises, kind of like some breeds of dogs? Or do you think he's referring more to the art of summoning one and the concentration involved?

That would be ironic IMO, because Carbuncle's squeals are one of the most annoying sounds in the game. But do you think they're actually not as loud as the game makes them out to be, given that they're a fairly small creature?

Probably the latter, that loud noise could disturb the summoning. It would be useless to adventurers to summon a creature that was frightened by loud noises. :lol:

As for the noises they make, I'm sure they're probably as loud as the game makes them out to be. For a real life example, look at chihuahuas. In fact I think carbuncles are bigger than a chihuahua...

So do you think he's saying that Carbuncle is actually sensitive to loud noises, kind of like some breeds of dogs? Or do you think he's referring more to the art of summoning one and the concentration involved?

I'd suggest it's the latter. People learning how to cast spells are probably prone to being distracted and screwing up from loud noises, and that's probably more true with arcanima, given its emphasis on linguistics and mathematics.

In fact I think carbuncles are bigger than a chihuahua...

Before Kage transformed... he was the shortest Lala ever. Carbuncles were... well... like big ponies to him. They were definitely a comparable size and minimum height for Lalas is... 2'10"? if I remember correctly.

I'd suggest it's the latter. People learning how to cast spells are probably prone to being distracted and screwing up from loud noises, and that's probably more true with arcanima, given its emphasis on linguistics and mathematics.

I would think that would be actually be more true of the other Discplines, which is partly why it surprised me. For example, Conjury emphasizes the need to get into a meditative state to commune with the elements, while Thaumaturgy is powered by introspection (in fact one of the brothers in the guild is always startled whenever you talk to him).

I would think that would be actually be more true of the other Discplines, which is partly why it surprised me. For example, Conjury emphasizes the need to get into a meditative state to commune with the elements, while Thaumaturgy is powered by introspection (in fact one of the brothers in the guild is always startled whenever you talk to him).

Good point. But I suppose each of the disciplines require the same amount of concentration, albeit in different ways. Just think how easy it is to screw up your mental price list while grocery shopping. :dazed:

To answer your original question though, I'd also say the latter.

Arcanima, from what I understand, is close to math. Now, I have friends who are good with math and could probably do it in the middle of a loud club. Most people I know, however, need their surroundings to be conducive to concentration -- quiet or playing music or whatever helps them. Strangers being loud generally are discouraged. I mean, sheesh, just looking at the angular design things on the inside of the book when I'm casting something is enough for me to determine that, were arcanists a real thing, I would not be studying it.

I always assumed it was because they're training the summons (read Carbuncles) to work and search. I equated it to a drug dog and obviously the newer/younger/what have you they are the less distraction they can handle so you have to be mindful of the dog and trainer and try not to be in the way if you're observing.

But Lord knows I have to have complete silence when I'm 'mathing' so... that could be it as well. :)

Arcanima, from what I understand, is close to math.  Now, I have friends who are good with math and could probably do it in the middle of a loud club.  Most people I know, however, need their surroundings to be conducive to concentration -- quiet or playing music or whatever helps them.  Strangers being loud generally are discouraged.   I mean, sheesh, just looking at the angular design things on the inside of the book when I'm casting something is enough for me to determine that, were arcanists a real thing, I would not be studying it.

A lot of people have suggested Arcanist would be the best fit for my character, but I'm actually leaning more towards THM or CNJ.

My character Miranda tends to be ruled by her heart more than her head, so I think it's very possible she wouldn't want the hassle of having to perform all kinds of geometric calculations when she can simply use a staff and her willpower to hurl rocks or fire at enemies. Judging by the fact that there are far fewer Arcanist NPCs than THM and CNJ, I don't think she would be alone in her thoughts there.

Another thing is that I tend to lean towards the Job classes being "non-canon" for RPers more likely than not, and the Job storylines simply involved heroes who proved themselves worthy in some form (for example the only non-Padjal WHM). So while SMN or SCH would allow her to be completely separated from others in her own category, I really don't know if becoming a customs agent for the first 30 levels would really be up her alley.

Overall I would say she is like a cross between Squall from FF8 and Terra from FF6.

Arcanima, from what I understand, is close to math.  Now, I have friends who are good with math and could probably do it in the middle of a loud club.  Most people I know, however, need their surroundings to be conducive to concentration -- quiet or playing music or whatever helps them.  Strangers being loud generally are discouraged.   I mean, sheesh, just looking at the angular design things on the inside of the book when I'm casting something is enough for me to determine that, were arcanists a real thing, I would not be studying it.

A lot of people have suggested Arcanist would be the best fit for my character, but I'm actually leaning more towards THM or CNJ.

My character Miranda tends to be ruled by her heart more than her head, so I think it's very possible she wouldn't want the hassle of having to perform all kinds of geometric calculations when she can simply use a staff and her willpower to hurl rocks or fire at enemies. Judging by the fact that there are far fewer Arcanist NPCs than THM and CNJ, I don't think she would be alone in her thoughts there.

Another thing is that I tend to lean towards the Job classes being "non-canon" for RPers more likely than not, and the Job storylines simply involved heroes who proved themselves worthy in some form (for example the only non-Padjal WHM). So while SMN or SCH would allow her to be completely separated from others in her own category, I really don't know if becoming a customs agent for the first 30 levels would really be up her alley.

Overall I would say she is like a cross between Squall from FF8 and Terra from FF6.

I've totally divorced my character from class/jobs, except for the pinkie toe she's dipping into arcanima with Goodfellow's character Lolotaru. So, really, my take on things is to do what makes sense given what you know and what clues are given from comments made by npcs. From what I understand you don't need to be a customs agent in order to be an arcanist; it's just that most (many?) are. As for the whole job debate, I leave that to people who are far more versed with lore than I am.

Like I've been saying fairly frequently lately: it's your rp. You have to be happy with what you're writing. Otherwise, what's the point?

Like I've been saying fairly frequently lately: it's your rp.  You have to be happy with what you're writing.  Otherwise, what's the point?

The problem is that I'm having a very difficult time deciding, as all of them have their own set of pros and cons.

The way I see it:

Conjurer would make the most sense in terms of my character's ideals, but Gridanians in general seem to most prominently favor the harsh treatment of Adventurers my character is resentful of; thus, she would be bitter about being bound to serve the same people that victimized her (at least at the start of the story).

Thaumaturge I have always felt would be a good fit for a "Shadow the Hegehog" type character. It seems to be the most "outcast", as well as have the loosest structural organization of the three, but the only thing I would trust Ul'dahns with is exploiting people for profit. Caveat Emptor, my friend.

I take it like this -- in real life, if you go to a city, there is a stereotype. Out of all of those people, out of all of those professions, out of all of the life happening: you're going to find exceptions to the rule. When it comes to characters, yeah, sometimes building and playing those exceptions will get you flak or the dreaded SUE accusation, but as long as you keep an eye pointed towards common sense I think it can be really well executed. (where I'm trying to say - your character doesn't *have* to be an adventurer, your character doesn't *have* to be faced with constant oh hi I hate you and I'm a bigoted son of a bitch, your character doesn't *have* to be stuck learning thaumaturgy from someone who's looking to fleece her and maybe sell a kidney on the black market or wind up in a series of events that would make Murphy turn around and take a second look)

At the end of the day, there are a lot of things going into your character and your ideas that I or anyone else won't know about (cuz let's face it, building a character/backstory/raison d'etre is involved and when you're discussing with someone involves a lot of back and forth). But to me, when a problem presents itself in a way that affects my fun, my first thought is "hmmm, how can I get around this without knocking all the blocks over?" So, what are your blocks and how are you going to get around them without knocking them over? What do you really want to play?

^ I agree with what Zhavi said. If you're not sure about what would fit your character more because x group are y, be the person who hits that stereotype with a sieve! (Or a saucepan. A heavy vase? The possibilities are many and varied!)

In a similar vein, don't become too concerned with "locking" your character into one profession. People are curious by nature, and there's nothing to say your character can't pursue another discipline. :)

If you're worried about working as airport-security-writ-large for the city-state, don't be.  Arcanists are employed as customs officers, but that is an ancillary function of Mealvaan's Gate.  Mealvaan's Gate is just as much the Arcanists' Guild school as it is the immigration and trade bottleneck.

As for arcanists being rarer amongst NPCs, there's an explanation for that as well.  My understand is that the conjurers and thaumaturges have a long history with Gridania and Ul'dah respectively, as do their guilds.  Arcanima is a school of magic developed amongst the islanders of the south seas and the guild was only opened in Limsa Lominsa in recent years.  Arcanists are not new to Hydaelyn, but they are relatively new to Vylbrand and so quite new to Eorzea as a whole.

Think of it like yoga.  In the West, people knew about the existence of yoga and yogis in the East for centuries.  The practice itself is several millennia in the making, but it was not familiar or widely practiced in the West until recently, historically speaking.

At the end of the day, there are a lot of things going into your character and your ideas that I or anyone else won't know about (cuz let's face it, building a character/backstory/raison d'etre is involved and when you're discussing with someone involves a lot of back and forth).  But to me, when a problem presents itself in a way that affects my fun, my first thought is "hmmm, how can I get around this without knocking all the blocks over?"  So, what are your blocks and how are you going to get around them without knocking them over?  What do you really want to play?

Strictly speaking, gameplay-wise I like SMN and WHM the best.

Carbuncle definitely made the first 30 levels of levelling THAT much more annoying, but I really liked how Summoner tied in elements of the other two disciplines with the maths of Arcanist, such as being able to channel the elements to summon your Egis.

I've already established that my character is a bitter Adventurer angry at the establishment much like Squall Leonhart, and ultimately ends up allied with the Scions. Several others believe the most fitting class for my character is Arcanist, based on a number of other key traits I have listed. Becoming a Summoner would satisfy her need to be independent and unique, but the real questions are whether or not Miranda would be willing to live with all the brigands and alcoholics in Limsa Lominsa long enough to learn Arcanima, would she show much of an interest in it to begin with, and how common Souls of the Summoner are.

On the other hand, Miranda would definitely get along well with Kan-E-Senna, and there ARE a number of other Conjurer NPCs in-game that display some of her key traits, namely the disbelief in tough love and desire for peace. This would fit her ideals, but Gridania's tendency towards rude comments and threats makes it seem like the worst possible place for her to live. If I went this path she would definitely be a CNJ and not a WHM, because lore-wise it is confirmed there is only one non-Padjal WHM.

The problem is further compounded by the fact that I have decided that I find it too tiring to level more than one class on a single character, because there's just not enough quests and you have to resort to grinding out FATEs and Levequests, which gets repetitive fast.

Everyone on this board seems content to give me full authority to decide which course to take - if I believe Conjury would be a good fit for my character, will everyone here fully support my decision?

I've already established that my character is a bitter Adventurer angry at the establishment much like Squall Leonhart, and ultimately ends up allied with the Scions. Several others believe the most fitting class for my character is Arcanist, based on a number of other key traits I have listed. Becoming a Summoner would satisfy her need to be independent and unique, but the real questions are whether or not Miranda would be willing to live with all the brigands and alcoholics in Limsa Lominsa long enough to learn Arcanima, would she show much of an interest in it to begin with, and how common Souls of the Summoner are.

On the other hand, Miranda would definitely get along well with Kan-E-Senna, and there ARE a number of other Conjurer NPCs in-game that display some of her key traits, namely the disbelief in tough love and desire for peace. This would fit her ideals, but Gridania's tendency towards rude comments and threats makes it seem like the worst possible place for her to live. If I went this path she would definitely be a CNJ and not a WHM, because lore-wise it is confirmed there is only one non-Padjal WHM.

-----

Everyone on this board seems content to give me full authority to decide which course to take - if I believe Conjury would be a good fit for my character, will everyone here fully support my decision?

My personal opinion is that while certain personalities may gravitate towards particular classes and jobs, anyone can be anything and interesting and well-realized characters can result from almost any composition.  The same goes with the city-states.  My main is neither rude nor actively criminal, yet he loves the variety and the vistas that Limsa and its port offer.  Each of the cities has its reputation, but let's not overgeneralize either.  I'm sure not everyone in New York is a jerk, for example.

As for giving your authority over your character, we can't do that.  The reason being that the only person who ever had, has, or will have authority over your character and the course that you decide to take her on is you.  Most everyone I've spoken to on the RPC is supportive of individuals and their creativity and are willing to give people wide, wide berth in their personal decision making.  Play the character that you want and that you'll enjoy; people will play with you.  If you build it, they will come.

So have fun!