Agonizing Over Character Names...

Well if you have a race and origin and the like in mind and you want to obey naming conventions, it does not hurt to hit the generate button on character create because it will do just that. 

If you want something else. Well, that comes with time, I've only come with a handful of acceptable names for my characters over the course of my RP life. 

and recycled them where they fit. My current go to fantasy name happened to just work REALLY well with final fantasy hyur naming conventions.

*lays down*  I always have this problem, it's terrible.

I typically spend forever figuring out a character's name, and even longer if there are lore-given naming conventions, because then it's like figuring out a name twice.  Having something in mind, fitting it to conventions, re-checking it via accurate name generators and lore, yet keeping the 'sound' of it true to what's wanted.... Names, man.  Names.

That or I just am like 'screw it' and settle for something secretly fitting and lore abiding with some dumb hidden meaning for my own amusement. 

That said, I'm always amused by nicknames given by other characters, because often times they're pretty much the best.

(Use the Pathetic Grape.  Do it.)

If I don't already kind of have a name in mind for a character (L'yhta was already in my mind, as were Aurelie and Elsbeth), I'll usually flip through the random generator until I see a name, or a part of a name, where I get a "hey, that looks neat" feeling. Then I'll flip through some more until I get a flash of, "Aha! This is the name I want!" That's how I named all of my retainers, for instance. I try to avoid overthinking names and just go with my gut feeling. If my character decides he or she isn't fond of their name in the future, that's just a potential source of RP. :)

I could and have spent literal hours trying to think up names. My problem comes into play when the character's name has to conform to a certain format. Plain, modern names? Those are fine, those I can do. FFXIV based names because they have a certain 'lore' to fit in with, bane of my life.

Spent ages trying to think up a Roe name simply because I was too stubborn to use the name generator. It's a nice idea and easy to use but certain names have been done so many times from it. I literally just hit the Roe dictionary in the end and hoped for the best.

I have a friend who spends far too much time on character names, and he's not even a roleplayer. I've seen him spend upwards of 3 hours naming a character, just to come up with Dudeman Bromate. 

I, on the other hand, have a pretty easy time of it. Usually. In any game that gives you a first and last name, it's super easy, especially for men. My go-to male names are Barrett, Tiberius, or Lawrence. Russell too, on occasion. If it's a Star Wars universe, or if I'm an elf, I use Varen. If all of those are taken, that is when I become lost and helpless. 

For females, it's usually Rin, Ryoko, Kyeri, or Kalia. I chose Ryoko before I knew I'd be RPing in this game, but fortunately I can BS it into a Miqo'te name (Rhiokoh) and thus far nobody has called me out on it.

I have a friend who spends far too much time on character names, and he's not even a roleplayer. I've seen him spend upwards of 3 hours naming a character, just to come up with Dudeman Bromate. 

I, on the other hand, have a pretty easy time of it. Usually. In any game that gives you a first and last name, it's super easy, especially for men. My go-to male names are Barrett, Tiberius, or Lawrence. Russell too, on occasion. If it's a Star Wars universe, or if I'm an elf, I use Varen. If all of those are taken, that is when I become lost and helpless. 

For females, it's usually Rin, Ryoko, Kyeri, or Kalia. I chose Ryoko before I knew I'd be RPing in this game, but fortunately I can BS it into a Miqo'te name (Rhiokoh) and thus far nobody has called me out on it.

Those are cliche names in the roleplay universe... it pretty much depends on the branch you're trying to roleplay in... let's say you're an highlander. Highlanders' name originate out of German and Nordic names. Nordic names like Fjolnir, Fraegr, Billrost, Hreimorr, Hergunnr, Geironul, Byggvir are all viable if you're trying to roleplay as an highlander. Do some datamining depending on your race and pick yourself a name. If you're not that lore-friendly and you're just looking for some light roleplay, then you can go on with whatever you want.. good luck

Those are cliche names in the roleplay universe... it pretty much depends on the branch you're trying to roleplay in... let's say you're an highlander. Highlanders' name originate out of German and Nordic names. Nordic names like Fjolnir, Fraegr, Billrost, Hreimorr, Hergunnr, Geironul, Byggvir are all viable if you're trying to roleplay as an highlander. Do some datamining depending on your race and pick yourself a name. If you're not that lore-friendly and you're just looking for some light roleplay, then you can go on with whatever you want.. good luck

Well, I would never RP a Highlander to be honest. I like Nordic names, but I find no appeal whatsoever in XIV highlanders (no offense, just personal taste). Midlanders are more my thing. As for the names being cliche... why does that limit me to light roleplay? Humans use common names. There are a million Johns on Earth, but not one of them has every been told "I don't consider you a real person because you have the same name as some other people". Barrett and Lawrence are proper English names, which is what most of the Midlanders in Final Fantasy use. And I'm not trying to be a special snowflake. My characters are meant to be everyday people, so it's entirely on purpose that they don't come with names like "Aldegeveryathajarion the Almighty God Slayer and Immortal Hero of the Northern Plains". 

Personally, if I were a Midlander parent, I'd give my kid a normal midlander name. Because if he's got a name like Geironul, he's gonna get his ass kicked by the other midlander kids.

It also occurs to me that the 'light roleplay' comment was probably directed more toward the OP than myself. I get pretty defensive about my Barrett name, though. Been using it for years across dozens of games, but this is the first one where people have ever taken issue with it, because apparently there was some dude in FF7 with that name.

Well, I would never RP a Highlander to be honest. I like Nordic names, but I find no appeal whatsoever in XIV highlanders (no offense, just personal taste). Midlanders are more my thing. As for the names being cliche... why does that limit me to light roleplay? Humans use common names. There are a million Johns on Earth, but not one of them has every been told "I don't consider you a real person because you have the same name as some other people". Barrett and Lawrence are proper English names, which is what most of the Midlanders in Final Fantasy use. And I'm not trying to be a special snowflake. My characters are meant to be everyday people, so it's entirely on purpose that they don't come with names like "Aldegeveryathajarion the Almighty God Slayer and Immortal Hero of the Northern Plains". 

Personally, if I were a Midlander parent, I'd give my kid a normal midlander name. Because if he's got a name like Geironul, he's gonna get his ass kicked by the other midlander kids.

It also occurs to me that the 'light roleplay' comment was probably directed more toward the OP than myself. I get pretty defensive about my Barrett name, though. Been using it for years across dozens of games, but this is the first one where people have ever taken issue with it, because apparently there was some dude in FF7 with that name.

I was talking to the OP. I just take stuff realistic and go with lore-friendly names. It's all preferences, man.

I tend to be bad about character names... I'm one of those people who almost has to have the personality I want before I can pick a name (and yes, I can spend days agonizing over it). Rarely do I use lore names because I tend to be a big mythology buff and pick those type names. I've found a lore name generator website but this was after I made my characters. For most names, I look at behindthename.com! I LOVE that site and it's so helpful for coming up with names because you can type in meanings and look up different origins based on what you're looking for!

I have a couple names I tend to reuse from MMO to MMO, but then I invariably make more alts and thus come up with new names as well. And... yeah, it's a challenge. I utilize any patterns found in lore, a healthy dose of baby name websites, and The Google. I really like morphing scientific terms or names into character names and often browse through classification lists of organisms to find cool-sounding or thematically appropriate (given the organism) names.

I am so indecisive when it comes to character names! I'll often buy a game but not get started for several days until I've thought of the perfect name and character design.

For me, it'll just be a name I click with. I don't mind taking a long time to think of one because previously I've created a character, gotten into the game and then thought "nope. i must start again I hate their name". Oh well, I get started eventually. :P

I like to fit it in with the lore of the game if the opportunity is there. I wish I'd thought of a different name for Aris though - her surname is 'Frey' and everyone thinks it's a Game of Thrones reference, but it isn't.