No questions this time, I promise!

banndsand

Hello everyone! You may have already met me from my previous thread in this section, in which I mainly just asked some questions to get me started in the game. Now that I've finally got some characters on Balmung, I thought it would be a good time to actually introduce myself and say some things about myself that you may or may not be interested in reading.

Anyway, I'll try to limit my rambling and go with the suggested template:

--MMORPG background

I've played a ton of MMORPGs for varying amounts of time. The first time I played one was when my cousin showed me Ragnarok Online on a private server. I was totally hooked. I spent the next few years looking for free-to-play MMOs (as I was still quite young), much to my father's chagrin, as he feared the dreaded viruses. One day I got my own computer, and thus began my excessive MMO experience. I played just about any game I could get my hands on, looking for an experience that stuck. Eventually I found Mabinogi, which I then played consistently until a little before I started playing Guild Wars 2, shortly after its release. That's not to say I didn't try other games, though. I had brief stints with Star Wars: The Old Republic and TERA while I was playing Mabinogi and GW2. During that time I also had the chance to beta test several MMOs, such as Elder Scrolls Online and this very game! More recently I had a summer fling with Wildstar and ArcheAge, both of which I rarely play now. Since then I had been searching for an MMO to enjoy for a long period, and compared many to my extensive checklist of criteria. FFXIV: ARR met more of those than any other I could find, which leads us to right now, with me jabbering your eyes out on this forum. :P

TLDR: MMO that got my feet wet was Ragnarok Online (on private servers). Consistently played Mabinogi for a number of years, then Guild Wars 2. Beta tested some games, ESO and FFXIV among them. Played Wildstar and ArcheAge over the summer.

--RP experience

I've had a sort of crescendo of interest in roleplay since the early days of playing Mabinogi, finally getting my feet wet a few times on TERA. I got really into it in GW2, but unfortunately I'm quite shy, so I didn't really end up roleplaying a lot until I started in Wildstar and ArcheAge. And even so, I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to RP, so please don't hesitate to tell me if I do anything wrong. I'm happy to learn. :)

--Character ideas/info

I've got four characters in-game right now, but only one has any depth to my idea for her yet.

-My Miqo'te, Khitzu Rinh, I hope will be a high-energy blacksmith who likes to use her spears "to make sure they're of good quality." She will probably be cheerful, but also impatient. I'm hoping to develop her first, especially as I play and learn the lore of the game.

-I don't really have too many ideas for my Roegadyn alt, who I named Usynthuv Wintahrwyn. I used a different word to end her first name than is normally suggested, which I hope is ok because it translates to dove, which in my experience of owning a dove, people always assume is female (mine is male lol). I'm thinking her family may be a little unorthodox or something. She has a scar on her right eye that has renderred it useless, so I'll have to think up a suitable backstory. (Honestly, one of my strong motivators to make her was that I like the look of Roegadyn so much. If anyone has seen the giants of Mabinogi, the Roegadyn seem sort of like how they should have ended up. Of course their lore is totally different, though.)

-My Lalafell alts, Zuzuki Zuki and Zuzureji Kukureji, are siblings, Zuzureji being older and quite protective of his sister (I'm hoping to make him into an adorable little tank! So cute~). Zuzuki will probably be sort of a bubbly airhead type.

Again, I'm really hoping to develop these characters a ton once I know more lore. But any ideas or tips you could suggest would be great. :)

--How did you learn about the coalition?

I googled something along the lines of "FFXIV roleplay" and found this site.

--What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? Light, medium, or heavy?

Probably medium. That's always sort of a weird question for me as it depends how you categorize each.

Going off what is described in the RP handbook, I'd be a medium-well. I mean, uh, medium to heavy. I check off more heavy elements on the list than light. (For anyone following along on the list, my heavy elements would be 1, 2, 5, 6 and 9. For 3 and 4 I'm on the light side. For 7, I am in between, as I wouldn't make my character go somewhere they wouldn't go or wouldn't even know about, and I won't just plop them anywhere on an established timeline, but I don't track locations or travel times normally. For 8, I am also in between, as I usually spend most of my time progressing on characters, but a lot of that time I'd be up for RP, I'm just too shy to get involved. lol)

--Anything from real life you're comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc)

Well, I'm Canadian. More specifically I'm Acadian (bonus points if you know anything about us), and so I speak French as my first language. I go to a French university in my hometown and study psychology and physics (at least until I can pick one or the other). I like to play MMOs, as you might have noticed, but also some other PC games, as well as 3DS and Wii U games and some older stuff. If you ask why I have a Wii U but no PS4 or Xbox One, it is because most of the games on those two (and their predecessors) that I'm interested in playing, I can play on my PC. Aside from playing video games and doing homework, I like to make videos on youtube or hitbox. Mostly Let's Play videos and livestreams of games, but occasionally I will do unboxings or stream while I draw on my computer. I have a pet ringneck dove named Curie (after Marie and Pierre Curie), who loves peanuts, hates when people try to pet him [without giving him peanuts], and often gets mistaken for a girl, despite never having laid an egg. He is adorable and silly.

So that's me. Sorry I rambled on! I said I'd try not to, but I did anyway. lol

If you've got any questions, comments or tips, feel free to reply. :) As you can see, I like to answer questions.

Thanks again to all the people who helped me in my previous thread. :D I hope you won't mind this super-long post too much.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm banndsand, but you can call me Lys if you want something more normal. And if you ever want to find me on another site, I should be just about every banndsand you'll find out there.

Formally welcome! Your English is quite good!

I hope you find XIV to your liking. There's almost always RP happening in one of the three starter cities at any given time, and there's a fair few folks here who are also into deep progression PVE-wise. If you need something, odds are someone here will be able to help you with it, be it lore, story, dungeons, raid, you name it.

Watch out for grumpy paladins. They hate fun.

Yeee, a fellow rambler.  Let us type into the abyss together.

I'm glad you finally made it in, and with alts to boot!  I've got a dorky duskwight mage who's all about magic, scribery, books, riddles, wandering around like a tart, ruins, artifacts, and trouble if you ever would care to throw a character his way.  I'd be happy to RP with you.  :>  Or just play the game in general.  I'm leveling arcanist and conjurer now that Thaumaturge is done (both classes are pretty ok at healing) and certainly wouldn't mind playing a support role for your tank, lancer, or the mysterious other characters for quests or dungeons, as long as my slow movement speed isn't a hassle.  (One thing about this game is that movement speed is dependent on internet speed, and man, is that terrible sometimes.) If I'm in-game, my character's name is Xavarian Mystrife if you'd like to find me by search info (though that only works if someone's currently logged into the game), or you can just throw a PM at me here instead.

Additionally, I must add that physics and psychology are great.  Both are pretty awesome subjects, I have to admit.  And honestly, I'm a bit curious as to where your interests might lie with them.  Are you more of a theoretical physics sort of person?  Or find more interest with what's more solid in the realm of forces?  Not that you need to answer if you don't want to, I'm basically kinda nosy (and also find that stuff really fascinating).

But all that said and aside, welcome to the server!  Hope you have fun here.

Formally welcome! Your English is quite good!

I hope you find XIV to your liking. There's almost always RP happening in one of the three starter cities at any given time, and there's a fair few folks here who are also into deep progression PVE-wise. If you need something, odds are someone here will be able to help you with it, be it lore, story, dungeons, raid, you name it.

I had the fortune (and, in a sense, misfortune for my French) to grow up in a bilingual (mostly English) city, so thankfully my English is alright. :) That and video games taught me a lot.

I'm glad it seems like it will be very easy to find RP. I look forward to meeting many of you IC.

Hopefully I can add to the number of non-grumpy paladins with my Zuzu boy. Hehe

Yeee, a fellow rambler.  Let us type into the abyss together.

I'm glad you finally made it in, and with alts to boot!  I've got a dorky duskwight mage who's all about magic, scribery, books, riddles, wandering around like a tart, ruins, artifacts, and trouble if you ever would care to throw a character his way.  I'd be happy to RP with you.  :>  Or just play the game in general.  I'm leveling arcanist and conjurer now that Thaumaturge is done (both classes are pretty ok at healing) and certainly wouldn't mind playing a support role for your tank, lancer, or the mysterious other characters for quests or dungeons, as long as my slow movement speed isn't a hassle.  (One thing about this game is that movement speed is dependent on internet speed, and man, is that terrible sometimes.) If I'm in-game, my character's name is Xavarian Mystrife if you'd like to find me by search info (though that only works if someone's currently logged into the game), or you can just throw a PM at me here instead.

Additionally, I must add that physics and psychology are great.  Both are pretty awesome subjects, I have to admit.  And honestly, I'm a bit curious as to where your interests might lie with them.  Are you more of a theoretical physics sort of person?  Or find more interest with what's more solid in the realm of forces?  Not that you need to answer if you don't want to, I'm basically kinda nosy (and also find that stuff really fascinating).

But all that said and aside, welcome to the server!  Hope you have fun here.

Ramblers unite! Hahaha

Yes, hopefully our characters could meet sometime. Though I may hold off on RP a bit until I learn more about the game. Wouldn't want to do something crazy by accident! :o

My internet speed is rather sub-par for my area, so we may actually be around the same pace! lol

Physics and psychology are great. :D I actually don't have a specialization yet in physics as I am still in my first years. I am interested in the theoretical aspects, but most of what I have done so far has been more applied.

trufax

also woot woot to having another french-canadian on the site, and an acadian to boot! (I'm not one tho)

All sites need more French Canadians. :P So hard to find us on the 'net these days. Good to meet you! :)

And to all of you, thank you for the warm welcomes and re-welcomes. :D

Ramblers unite! Hahaha

Yes, hopefully our characters could meet sometime. Though I may hold off on RP a bit until I learn more about the game. Wouldn't want to do something crazy by accident! :o

My internet speed is rather sub-par for my area, so we may actually be around the same pace! lol

Physics and psychology are great. :D I actually don't have a specialization yet in physics as I am still in my first years. I am interested in the theoretical aspects, but most of what I have done so far has been more applied.

Yes, good.  By our powers combined, no text wall will be too great. I'm sorry.

But yeah!  I'd be totally willing to have our characters meet sometime when you're ready.  I also know how that goes, because I wanted to get my main pretty up there in levels before I started RPing too, even though I knew RP would be my main focus in the game.  My character wouldn't even ICly be on that skill par.  I just really wanted a handle on the lore first, so I completely understand wanting to wait.

And holy crap.  Being at the same pace as someone would be, both amazing and a bit unfortunate for them.  Slow internet is always such a pain.  :<

Finally, both facets of physics are neat.  *u*  I'm actually a major in Philosophy (among other things), which might at a glance seem odd to put next to physics, but I feel they're  somewhat interested in the same things.  Like how the world / universe works, and the 'truth' about stuff.  I've always found physics to be amazingly interesting, (and psychology too!)  but I could only take so many classes if I wanted to get degrees in anything, so alas.  

That said, I'm second-hand excited for you to get into it more, especially if you like the subjects.

Yes, good.  By our powers combined, no text wall will be too great. I'm sorry.

But yeah!  I'd be totally willing to have our characters meet sometime when you're ready.  I also know how that goes, because I wanted to get my main pretty up there in levels before I started RPing too, even though I knew RP would be my main focus in the game.  My character wouldn't even ICly be on that skill par.  I just really wanted a handle on the lore first, so I completely understand wanting to wait.

And holy crap.  Being at the same pace as someone would be, both amazing and a bit unfortunate for them.  Slow internet is always such a pain.  :<

Finally, both facets of physics are neat.  *u*  I'm actually a major in Philosophy (among other things), which might at a glance seem odd to put next to physics, but I feel they're  somewhat interested in the same things.  Like how the world / universe works, and the 'truth' about stuff.  I've always found physics to be amazingly interesting, (and psychology too!)  but I could only take so many classes if I wanted to get degrees in anything, so alas.  

That said, I'm second-hand excited for you to get into it more, especially if you like the subjects.

Fortunately I'm on winter break, so I'm rushing through my lancer levels at (what I consider) breakneck speed. And of course reading every text box that comes my way. Hopefully it shouldn't be too long before I can figure out where my character fits in the world. :) If you'd like, I could let you know once I've got some sort of bio or the like ready.

So far I haven't been having too many network issues in-game. Unless someone else uses the internet in my flat. Then I log off for a while because the lag spikes are awful haha...

Philosophy is really cool as well. :D I've always wanted to learn more about it, but unfortunately I already have to pick between two fields I love. :x I generally like to see different views on how/why things work the way they do. Things that make me think and wonder. :) I should really get back to reading those sorts of books in my free time... If only one could go to school forever~