Written In a Corner

Steel Wolf

FOREWARNING: This thread will likely deal with intense amounts of speculation prior to Heavensward's launch, and so will very likely be completely lore-stupid. But I was hoping for some feedback.

I've written Steel as aetherically an idiot. There was some short time that I played her as a Conjurer and a Thaumaturge, with my head-canon explaining that she was looking at her grimoire at almost all times to ensure she was casting properly. Eventually, I gave up on those classes and kept following through on the classes that make her today.

Now...considering where she's going in my head-canon (Is it sad I write this stuff so far in advance and without anyone else? I think it's sad), I see her as entering the realm of the Dark Knight. Seeing the video that was posted a while ago got me thinking...these guys wield dark powers with not only ease, but a sense of style. A flourish that assumes great levels of mastery over the dark, not just emotional but mental.

Steel is nowhere NEAR that, even assuming the length of her leveling up would constitute training.

Now, perhaps there's some level of symbiosis going on. Maybe these powers are voidsent or require tapping in to some voidsent benefactor. Again, though, that sounds like something that would be mentally beyond my character. Or maybe martial and magical training are so interwoven that it becomes a non-issue. But after literally years of working on her physical prowess, her mental faculties to throw dark hadoukens and charge a broadsword with dark energies would kind of seem to push the boundaries of what's acceptable of a character that, I feel, is barely being accepted to begin with.

The only ways out I see this is through a couple of ways:

1.) Steel finds a trainer. She comes under the tutelage of someone who has some prior experience or can make guesses on how to mesh the martial with the magical and form her into a reaver. Ideally, this would happen with another PC.

2.) Her sword is a focus. A big-ass sharp magical wand. Since she could only channel aether through reading notes in a grimoire, regardless of whether she was a Conjurer or a Thaumaturge, perhaps the sword would be the focusing point for her powers. Perhaps the sword itself is a charged relic.

If anyone else has some better ideas, then please feel free to list or sound off on what I've got listed here--don't be shy. If a bad idea is bad, please let me know and perhaps suggest ideas to adjust them.

Thanks for reading, RPC. <3

Option 3.) She gets an emo haircut and eyeshadow.

Clearly this is the most realistic and fastest way to learn how to channel dark energy. Perhaps she could pick up some attire at Hot Topic as well. (Do they still have hot topic.)

Jesting aside, I think you'll end up being ok. I've always viewed things like that as chances to RP out a solution. People who RP in ffxiv aren't particularly snooty either, I think. If Steel finds a cursed sword or something similar, I don't think anyone would complain.

Maybe the sword is possessed and teaches her dark powers but slowly warps her mind in exchange... eventually forcing those who know her to go on an epic quest to free her from the blade's grasp...

And that's just one idea! So many opportunities!

I just want to pop in here to say that I don't think writing stories/story arc stuff for your character is dumb at all.

I like Natalie's idea, too! ....and yus, there's still Hot Topic. 8-)

That aside, you're always welcome to kick around ideas with me. I haven't even started to think about how my character makes the jump to DRK.

Option 3.) She gets an emo haircut and eyeshadow.

Clearly this is the most realistic and fastest way to learn how to channel dark energy. Perhaps she could pick up some attire at Hot Topic as well. (Do they still have hot topic.)

Well, after the Starlight Ball, Steel will be needing a new haircut....

But to your actual point, yea, that's why I was sorta kinda hoping #1 would happen. I've gotta find someone to pester annoy learn from.

You'll be fine. Could even say it was bundled up tight and inaccessible, like Chakra.

Also we should femroe dark knight together because YEAH

Huh...I...never actually considered that thought... And yes. Moar Dark FemRoes is bettar. <3

That aside, you're always welcome to kick around ideas with me. I haven't even started to think about how my character makes the jump to DRK.

Oh! Oh, see, I didn't know you were looking in that direction too, Z! Can I call you Z? I'mma call you Z.

Oh!  Oh, see, I didn't know you were looking in that direction too, Z!  Can I call you Z?  I'mma call you Z.

Yups. Gonna go that route with my Miqo. 8-)