Another FNG maybe

Kurt S.

Fahking New Guy and all. 

Basically, I stumbled onto this site by accident researching servers and all, been looking at it for days now. I guess after going through the threads posted up here, I kinda felt like I wanted to taste this novelty of having my own storyline or being a part of a storyline that isn't the Main Questline or some short Side Quest Arc. Except that I have absolutely no idea of how things work when it comes to RPing on MMOs.

I also don't know which server is better or at least forgiving in terms of someone so fresh you thought I was just harvested from a farm where people plant newbies . I find it easier to getting access to Gilgamesh though. I'm probably going to stretch myself and visit both my home server and whichever of the two RP servers I get into, no matter how long that takes for me to get in. Mainly because I've invested a lot of time in Famfrit and grew close with my FC there. 

I guess this whole shtick gets harder since I live on the other side of the planet, somewhere in Asia, but somehow find similar or sometimes better latency in the NA datacenters than JP ones. In any case, how hard would it be to do this RP thing at like night time on the NA end?

TL;DR

I is so very new.

I has no idea how to do shtuff but I is attracted to this whole Roleplaying idea.

I probably need your halp.

Gilga or Balmung?

TL;DR

I is so very new.

I has no idea how to do shtuff but I is attracted to this whole Roleplaying idea.

Gilga or Balmung?

Hi! It's always refreshing to see someone using the FNG term. I, too, was an FNG once, and it was awesome.

So answer your questions and/or address your comments (because I'm now seeing you didn't ASK questions in the bit I'm quoting, really) in order, we've got:

1) We were all pretty new once. Some newer than others, but that's not the point. Admitting you need help is the first step to recovery! The important thing is we're here for you.

2) Roleplaying is... The way I phrase it a lot is that you're collaborating on a story with other people. Fundamentally that's the crux of it: You've got a narrative, I've got a narrative. It's like playing action figures with the neighbor kid. We've all got our dudes and they may or may not have cool powers but we're ultimately working together to have SOME sort of adventure, right? Dibs on Batman, though.

Roleplaying happens in game. It happens on Skype or IM clients for some folks. It happens in PMs here, it happens on the forums. The Town Square section of this site is dedicated entirely to in-character writing and working, though not everyone chooses to use it. I'd recommend checking out some of the threads there to see what it looks like or is all about. The nicest part is that there's no correct way to go about roleplaying. Some folks only do it with "randoms," or walk-ups as it's frequently called.

Say your character is just an adventurer. You're hanging out in the Quicksand after a day of adventuring (or just grinding PVE and taking a break from dungeons/coil) and you overhear a conversation about someone wanting to learn how to fight with an axe. Well, you fight with an axe! You can choose to invite yourself to their conversation (usually with a polite request of permission in a tell first, just so you're not actually butting in) and show them a thing or two. Or, someone might just approach you if you're standing around looking official. "Hey, you seen a catboy come runnin' by here? About yay tall, looks like he's seen better days and hadn't eaten in a week?"

Bam. Roleplay up in your face and you didn't even have to ask for it.

In short, roleplay is part writing exercise, part action figures, part playing pretend and a lot of improv skills.

3) Gilgamesh, to my knowledge, has a more closed-wagon RP group. I can't speak to how receptive they would be to new folks arriving, but I've got no reasons to believe you wouldn't be accepted there!

Balmung, on the other hand, I know. We've got RP coming out of the wazoo, and the GMs say that's normal for someone of our age. The catch to that is that our server is so full of fun and interesting times that getting onto it is tricky; Early early mornings EST seem to be the best times to get online. I've had success rolling alts before work around 5:30AM EST.

If you've got questions, and you will, feel free to ask. Those of us who bite are clearly marked for the newcomers.

Welcome FNG! :D

We're all new. And a great deal of folks have not utterly forgotten what it was like to be new. And honestly, with Heavensward drawing in returning or new people, I anticipate that this will continue to be a thing.

Matter of fact, last time I played anything in this game was when it did its first large content patch, 2.1. So...yea...noobs EVRYWHERE! <3

If you do manage to get on Balmung and would like tall musclewoman Roegadyn hugs, or RP or just general buffoonery, please feel free to give Steel a poke anytime. Or failing that, just some forum interactions are good too.

Welcome to Eorzea! ^_^

I don't have to say anything now that Warren has summed it up so nicely. 

*sneakily marks Warren* Oh, and yes, watch out for the marked ones. They be grumpy, and they don't bite; They CHOMP!! 

And welcome to the RPC!!

Pick Balmung. BALMUNG ALL THE WAY!

TL;DR

I is so very new.

Gilga or Balmung?

I'm a recent immigrant from Gilgamesh to Balmung -- it was worth the $18 move, RP-wise, TBQH. Gilgamesh was my initial choice due to being unable to get in on Balmung during open character creation, but I found the RP community to be A) impossible to find at times and B) pretty closed-off and cliqueish when I did find it. I wasn't a wallflower about it, I tried to engage others, but it never really hit its stride for me. YMMV.

You can't throw a rock without hitting open-world RP on Balmung during prime NA evening hours, honestly. I've also found that people are pretty engaging/responsive on the whole.

If you want a partner to ease you into things and you wind up on Balmung, please let me know! It would be totally in-character for my Hyur to make conversation with just about anyone and I could use a few more friends since I'm also kinda new, so I'd be glad to help.

Thanks a lot for the information Warren Castille. I have a clearer picture of things now and hopefully it gets clearer when I actually get my feet wet. I can't wait to get into Balmung, having a general time frame to work with makes things more manageable for me.

Hey Steel Wolf, the whole tall muscular roegadyn hugs only sounds terrifying right? Well not that I'll say no before I try it out xD

I'll be sure to hit you up when I get on Balmung, sforze. 

What's a marked one? Should I run if I see one?

I was wondering why someone threw a rock at my head... ;)

Everything has indeed been said already so... Welcome!

I am on balmung and can tell you, even not on NA peak hours (I'm an EU roleplayer) It is definitely the place to be..

Happy hunting!

#LoveTheLala

#FeedTheLala

What's a marked one? Should I run if I see one?

Yes. Run. Run for your life and all else that you hold dear. 

Be very very wary of these marked ones. 

*Quickly and sneakily marks Warren once again* 

Especially a Warren Castille. He very marked one.

What happens if I get caught by a marked one and how can I tell if someone is marked?

The answer to both of those questions is another pair of questions.

"Am I bit? How bad am I bleeding?"

We're just being a bit tongue in cheek. We're all pretty alright around here, if I say so myself, and I hope you find a place.

Yeah, no worries, we're just trying to lighten things up for you. Sorry if it had the opposite effect. xD

That said, Warren here is a very helpful guy, so you know exactly who to bug should you ever need any help. And like Warren, the rest of us are friendly and helpful too. :)

The marking Warren part was just a joke. :D

So they're like vampires or worse then? Terrific xD

Well I started up on Gilgamesh, I plan to have one guy on each server even if that stretches me kinda thin, you know just to see how one differs from the other and all that. Maybe sooner or later commit to one or the other but so far Balmung's gates remain closed even when literally all other servers are open.

What happens if I get caught by a marked one and how can I tell if someone is marked?

The answer to both of those questions is another pair of questions.

"Am I bit? How bad am I bleeding?"

We're just being a bit tongue in cheek. We're all pretty alright around here, if I say so myself, and I hope you find a place.

Yeah, no worries, we're just trying to lighten things up for you. Sorry if it had the opposite effect. xD

That said, Warren here is a very helpful guy, so you know exactly who to bug should you ever need any help. And like Warren, the rest of us are friendly and helpful too. :)

The marking Warren part was just a joke. :D

Okay so I get that this is an ice breaker ( I'm just playing along I think) but the whole marked ones thing is legit? Well then, I am equal parts terrified of and strangely excited to meet them. I'm odd that way.

Generally speaking, we try to refrain from getting all Scarlet Letter on people around here. We've got our quirks but for the most part we leave the silliness to our in-character stuff.

Right then, I thought it was some initiation thingy that acted like some sort of ice breaker. Welp, no harm done I guess, I have my fair share of weirdness every other day so it's all good.

Huzzah, I got into Balmung. How 'active' is the RPing scene in Limsa, like do I just randomly see people in character right there? I kinda picked MRD on a whim so I don't have to waste time and risk not getting in.

However, I'm not gonna be online for a day or so, yeah. Christmas Eve/ Day celebrations and all here on my end of the planet.

Generally speaking, we try to refrain from getting all Scarlet Letter on people around here. We've got our quirks but for the most part we leave the silliness to our in-character stuff.

Right then, I thought it was some initiation thingy that acted like some sort of ice breaker. Welp, no harm done I guess, I have my fair share of weirdness every other day so it's all good.

What? 

Now I'm confused. What?? :|

What? 

Now I'm confused. What?? :|

I just thought it was some sort initiation to the site or something. You know this whole thing... yeah I dont even know anymore.

I try to be as tongue-in-cheek as possible when welcoming people. Leads them into a false sense of security before I start yelling at them.

Well then, I'll try not to be too incompetent or something. 

Anyway Balmung seems peaceful so far, granted I created a character and logged on at what I guess is a strange hour in NA timezones.

Just need to figure out what the next move is.

The holidays may be messing with population ATM (hello from my phone while I'm 500 miles from my PC), but typical active hours are after 6PM EST or so that I've noticed, and I suspect the PST crowd logging later would mean people are most active between 6PM-6AM EST.

The holidays may be messing with population ATM (hello from my phone while I'm 500 miles from my PC), but typical active hours are after 6PM EST or so that I've noticed, and I suspect the PST crowd logging later would mean people are most active between 6PM-6AM EST.

Thanks for the heads up sforze :D