Not that fresh off the boat and brandishing an axe.

Let's just say Kurt Steel is a midlander who is still quite new to this whole adventuring business. If you could even call his running around and helping some of the people of Limsa Lominsa and Red Rooster Stead "adventuring." His equipment couldn't be called armor, motley seems appropriate...for now.

Sure he's got some experience under his belt by following the directions of a certain Lominsan named Baderon but he's still got quite a lot to learn especially in the Axe-wielding arts despite signing up as a member of the Marauder's Guild. Though he did have his mother to teach him how to wield an axe without accidentally chopping himself in half before she saw him off and sent him to Limsa Lominsa so he could follow in her footsteps and because he was a somewhat unproductive drain on their kind of dwindling supply of gil. 

He can be gullible at times which was probably why he was running around Middle and Lower La Noscea doing odd jobs for people who can't be bothered to do them because he took Baderon's advice of helping people a little too seriously. Though he does see things through to their end which is why he has a tendency of pushing himself a little too far, a little over the edge. He believes in what he does so there's that. 

Okay so I haven't really wrapped my head around a proper backstory for him other than being someone who took up the axe under his mother's tutelage and that she was probably a retired adventurer(is that even possible?) who made a mistake choosing her husband. I do plan to make him take in interest in fishing and cooking. (woohoo for level 10 and class freedom!) 

Like Kurt S., his player, yours truly, is new to this whole role playing business and I thought that this might be a logical step number 2. Number 1 was being able to create Kurt in the first place.

Like Steel said, definitely not a bad start. It gives you a decent idea of what his motivation might be, and leaves you plenty of room to add details later if/when you want to.

Anyway, my character Adeya is an arcanist who lives in Limsa. Feel free to say hi if you ever need some help or want to RP.

Anything else about him I should try to answer or at least have an answer ready for? Also thanks for the offers guys, I really need for figure out how to get my feet wet with this role playing business.

Also what times are you guys active, so I can judge whether or not I go to sleep on a particular day xD But yeah, just so I can get a feel for things.

Welcome to Balmung! It's always good to see new people getting involved in RP! \o/

As for what you need to know about your character--I'd say taking the time to fill out a proper biography or wiki format or utilizing the surveys and prompts in the character development board can help you nail down some finer details. However, no matter how prepared you may be, RP is still a lot of improv, so just have a clear image of who and what your character is so you can decide his actions on the fly accordingly!

Welcome to Balmung! It's always good to see new people getting involved in RP! \o/

As for what you need to know about your character--I'd say taking the time to fill out a proper biography or wiki format or utilizing the surveys and prompts in the character development board can help you nail down some finer details. However, no matter how prepared you may be, RP is still a lot of improv, so just have a clear image of who and what your character is so you can decide his actions on the fly accordingly!

Thanks for that, Faye. I'll try to get all this nailed down.

My pleasure! Don't worry about starting out with some blanks--characters become more fleshed out as you start RPing and exploring them. :)

My pleasure! Don't worry about starting out with some blanks--characters become more fleshed out as you start RPing and exploring them. :)

If that's the case I really should get my feet wet soon xD

EDIT

So I did what you said and now I have a better grasp on how to play him now I just need to find an opportunity to test it all out and be IC.

Like Steel said, definitely not a bad start. It gives you a decent idea of what his motivation might be, and leaves you plenty of room to add details later if/when you want to.

Anyway, my character Adeya is an arcanist who lives in Limsa. Feel free to say hi if you ever need some help or want to RP.

Where in Lominsa though? I appreciate the offer, Adeya.

Hey, it's a good start.  You have a couple of rudimentary ideas in mind and you're forming the ball of clay into a statue.  Keep it up!  <3

Thanks for the feedback. About that offer for tall muscular, roegafyne lady hugs though...these are bear hugs or something akin to it?

Hey, it's a good start.  You have a couple of rudimentary ideas in mind and you're forming the ball of clay into a statue.  Keep it up!  <3

Thanks for the feedback. About that offer for tall muscular, roegafyne lady hugs though...these are bear hugs or something akin to it?

Be prepared to be smothered.

To echo the sentiments here, its a good jumping off point. And dont worry too much about the lack of concrete background. About 80-75% of my interaction with people about Nako's past has beenimprov on the spot ;) I've been dubbed the BS King by some friends due to this ;)

Have fun and if you ever want to turn your hand to magic, give me a poke :D

To echo the sentiments here, its a good jumping off point. And dont worry too much about the lack of concrete background. About 80-75% of my interaction with people about Nako's past has beenimprov on the spot ;) I've been dubbed the BS King by some friends due to this ;)

Thaumaturgy magic? The kind that makes things go boom and gives unlimited mana?

Half right.

The Aether (mana) used for casting thaumaturgy comes from within. You essentially tap into your own life force to make things go boom. So yes, it makes things go boom, but you are limited by how much personal aether you have.

Half right.

The Aether (mana) used for casting thaumaturgy comes from within. You essentially tap into your own life force to make things go boom. So yes, it makes things go boom, but you are limited by how much personal aether you have.

Now this seems a smidge more complicated than what I'm used to. Which is spam fire III, transpose, pop lightning II, spam Blizzard II, transpose, fire III, repeat until everything is dead. So I'm kind of killing myself while I'm trying to kill everything else?

Oh wait, I can make things go boom if I have the aether to do it in the first place. But there ways to increase it right, even if one did not have ample aetherial thingy? *cough*#justcocobusithings*cough*

IC some small apartment filled with too many books and drawings of weird runes. OOC I'm still saving up to buy a house. *Shrug*

Besides, I was thinking more along the lines of meeting up in the Drowning Wench or running into each other somewhere out in La Noscea.

IC some small apartment filled with too many books and drawings of weird runes. OOC I'm still saving up to buy a house. *Shrug*

Besides, I was thinking more along the lines of meeting up in the Drowning Wench or  running into each other somewhere out in La Noscea.

So I just stay in the Drowning Wench and hope for the best then. As much as I am a veteran player of the waiting game, around what times can Kurt expect to run into her?

So I just stay in the Drowning Wench and hope for the best then. As much as I am a veteran player of the waiting game, around what times can Kurt expect to run into her?

Well, you could, but that seems kinda boring. Using search, then sending a /tell when you see someone on, tends to work just as well and results in much less standing and waiting :).

I usually get on around 9 pm EST. What about you?

Well, you could, but that seems kinda boring. Using search, then sending a /tell when you see someone on, tends to work just as well and results in much less standing and waiting :).

I guess I can get on at that time too. Thing is I'm on the other side of the planet on a GMT+8 timezone, but yeah I can stay up just to make it happen xD. I'm usually on most of the day since it's holiday breaks and all, but after that I'm probably gonna be on like 2 am EST up until like 1 pm EST or so.

I guess I can get on at that time too. Thing is I'm on the other side of the planet on a GMT+8 timezone, but yeah I can stay up just to make it happen xD. I'm usually on most of the day since it's holiday breaks and all, but after that I'm probably gonna be on like 2 am EST up until like 1 pm EST or so.

Stupid timezones, always messing things up. :P

Don't stay up. 2 am isn't too bad for me, and I don't mind being up a bit later anyway.

Stupid timezones, always messing things up. :P

Don't stay up. 2 am isn't too bad for me, and I don't mind being up a bit later anyway.

Well we can always meet halfway. In any case, I'll just go try to level some DoL and DoH jobs.