FF XIV WoL strength

Aaron

This just popped up in my head, but compared to other Final fantasy games (each generally independent of each other) exactly how strong is XIV's hero and how do they rank against every other hero and could they go toe to toe with other FF villains?

Like could the WoL defeat Ultimecia like Squall did? What about beat Squall himself in a 1 vs 1?

How about Sephiroth or Kefka? Weiss? Cloud, Cecil or Tidus or Lightning? Or the upcoming Noctis based on what we've seen from the trailers. 

Sure in XIV the Hero slays gods and even Elder Primals like Odin and Bahamut. But are these incarnations as strong as the summons from other games?

What do you think? Is XIV (Your MSQ hero not your rp character) ranked as one of the strongest FF heroes or are they low tier in the FF universe as a whole?

I got this question from imagining Aaron in a Dissidia videogame but it opened up as you can see.

Assume this is the SE WoL mascot (The WAR Midlander)

Opinion?

Well, at a wild guess, since we're stuck at level 50 (soon to be level 60) and the characters in the other games are all capable of hitting level 99, I'd say that right now FFXIV characters are much, much weaker than their counterparts in previous games. Purely based on numbers, of course.

In terms of in-universe strength, I haven't seen anything in FFXIV that's quite as over-the-top as the stuff in Advent Children - not that that means they'll never go that far, but it certainly seems to be something limited to only the most extraordinary individuals. I suspect that's a conscious decision on the part of the designers - after all, this is an MMORPG, and some level of grounding is required to maintain the illusion that, yes, you DO have to band together to fight these enemies and you are not such a super-powerful badass that you can wipe the floor with everyone as you please.

All that being said... I can easily see a level 99 WoL besting most other characters in Final Fantasy canon. They've already got a LOT going for them, and those advantages will only increase over time. Though... unless they do something like add a Blade & Soul/Mirror's Edge style movement system, they'll probably never reach the heights of the FF7 crew. ;)

Level is a poor example of deciding overall power. A level 99-ground-for-hours-twinked-to-max-stats Cloud is going to be 255 down the board. My poetics-ground lv50 Warren Castille is currently

STR 541

DEX 191

VIT 550

INT 119

MND 202

PIE 168

meaning that, numerically, Warren is twice as strong and tough as any member of FF7 at their absolute maximum peak. His elemental resistances are all above 255 as well, meaning summons aren't going to work too great.

To answer the question with a question: Who would win in a fight, Batman or Spider-Man? There's no answer, just people reasoning one or the other.

meaning that, numerically, Warren is twice as strong and tough as any member of FF7 at their absolute maximum peak. His elemental resistances are all above 255 as well, meaning summons aren't going to work too great.

Not necessarily - Cloud can regularly hit 9999 with best stats and twinked out materia, whereas if you get that kind of damage on Warren I'm callin' the GMs.

It's all different systems where bigger doesn't mean better because of how strength is converted to attack power and stuff like that. And that doesn't include bugs like... Evade not actually doing anything in FF6.

Not necessarily - Cloud can regularly hit 9999 with best stats and twinked out materia, whereas if you get that kind of damage on Warren I'm callin' the GMs.

It's all different systems where bigger doesn't mean better because of how strength is converted to attack power and stuff like that. And that doesn't include bugs like... Evade not actually doing anything in FF6.

I recall in FF8, the only one I ground stats to max in, that once your VIT approaches 255 you basically take scratch damage from everything. Consider that 255~ attack characters are regularly wailing on monsters with double-digit VIT (or MAG/M.DEF splits) and it's not unreasonable to think that Cloud's 9999s would be dropped down to three digits.

(This is the sort of comic book argument I was inferring, by the way.)