Hello there!

Hello!

I am new to the game and the whole roleplay side of it and thought that I should probably present my sorry self to the community.

I have spent a few years roleplaying on various other things such as Wow, GW2 and even EVE at one point and have finally set my sights on FFXIV.

Would love to hear from you all with any tips or hints that you all have. :D

-Overwatch

Hi there!

Welcome to FFXIV and welcome to the RPC!

Whether it's questions on gameplay or questions on RP, feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like.

And if you have any gameplay questions or ever need help with any of the content, feel free to ask around!

--Massive blurb about text chats in the game--

A couple commands you'll probably enjoy in-game.

/tell : Sends a whisper/PM to that character, if they are not marked with /busy or in an instanced server/duty. Ex: "/tell Unnamed Mercenary HI!"

/emotelist : Brings up the massive emote list. Each emote will show you the text command too

/em : the "custom emote" command. If you've used the /me command in an IM chat, it works the same way. Ex: "/em welcomes you to the RPC!"

/say, /yell, /shout, /party, /ls, /fc, /a : these are your commands to switch through different chat styles. You can either type it before every line, or type the command first, and then direct input after.

/say: common chat. White text by default

/yell: local-area chat. Yellow text by default

/shout: entire map(?) Orange text by default

/party: party/group chat. Blue text by default

/ls: Linkshell chat. You can have up to 8 of them. The number matters. These are chat groups effectively. Light-ish green by default.

/fc: Free Company (guild) chat. Most treat it like another Linkshell, although many FCs will also have an additional LS for either chat with people not in the FC or for RP purposes. Grey-ish-blue by default.

/a : Alliance chat. This is used in the 24-person raids and Frontline PvP. It's red by default.

You can adjust your chat logs/filters/colors in the Character settings. On keyoard/mouse controls, this is by pressing K.

One question would be server populations I guess. Its stated that both Gilgamesh and Balmung have Roleplayers on. But which is most heavily populated? I would prefer to get in with an active bunch as I tend to stray between medium and heavy roleplay.

Thanks!

Some people recommend trying early AM, like 3 to 5 eastern. I got lucky last week because there was maintenance; just before or after the server goes down seems to be a sure thing. Right after it comes back up, realm population isn't calculated for closure for several hours.

You can also transfer on, if you get desperate and have money to burn.

To answer the "how do I get on Balmung" question, yes, it's kinda hard.

Most people have the most luck early morning Eastern US time.

There is some PSN maitenance tonight, which should keep PS3/PS4 players from logging in, so you might get lucky with that if you play on PC.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/b259b5a29e1464a28f8a82309286f1ded5b28869

I've seen the best resulted because about 4-7AM Eastern time, while everyone to the west is sleeping.

Thanks people! Its going to be a fun one for me, since I am running on GMT time. So I will keep an eye out and see if I can get on. Failing that we shall see what playing on a regular server brings me. If I enjoy it enough I am sure I will be able to find some money somewhere.

Thanks people! Its going to be a fun one for me, since I am running on GMT time. So I will keep an eye out and see if I can get on. Failing that we shall see what playing on a regular server brings me. If I enjoy it enough I am sure I will be able to find some money somewhere.

Unless work gets in the way, your "primetime" to get onto Balmung would be around 8-10AM GMT.