I am so torn! FFXIV Dark Knight or not?

So, I am playing FFXIV Heavensward. I made my Au Ra. Absolutely love him. And the way I made his background story, being a Dark Knight is THE jobclass for him… Which was absolutely stupid of me to do!

I have fallen in love with the Dark Knight ever since it was announced. It just looks absolutely awesome! The armour, the greatsword, the aesthetics of the skills, the dark theme… it’s just perfect.

However… it’s a tank class! I have ALWAYS played DPS classes in MMO’s. I have tinkered a little bit with being a tank and healer, but I feel most comfortable with being DPS, because then other people’s virtual lives don’t depend on me, because all I have to focus on is to deal some damage!

I am incredibly intimidated playing a tank. I’ve practised with some low-level dungeons and sometimes it went well, other times it didn’t go too well, and my concentration level is so intense that I am getting headaches, because I just don’t want to fuck up!

I might not be cut out to be a tank. Just thinking about doing some high-level dungeons or raids, it freaking terrifies me! And it saddens me so much, because I really love the Dark Knight jobclass.

Machinist looks rather cool too, so I might pick that up instead. I would have to re-make my character, as being a Machinist would be very out-of-character for him, and I can’t break my headcanon for him. So that’s my escape plan if I just can’t grasp being a tank.

Rant over. :3

Your preferred PvE class doesn't have to be the same as your preferred RP class (substitute "job" for "class" when applicable). Sure, it helps, but you could easily level DRK to 50 or 60 for glamour purposes, and then play a DPS for your PvE needs. You just won't be guaranteed the drops for use as glamour for your DRK.

Do not let what I say discourage you or give you the impression of something negative as that's what im trying my hardest not to come off as but im rather blunt regardless. 

But from MY experience,  tanking isn't for everyone. It isn't even about the game mechanics but more of the "if I mess up everyone dies" logic that floats around in the head. Some people can cope with it from the start and be great tanks. Others cant at first but grow into it. Some however just cant overcome that fear of being kicked or made fun of if they fuck up. And that's ok, not everyone can do it. Not a bad thing just how you as a person prefer to play.

My advice? If you want to rp a DRK? FATE grind to 50 or w/e and use that as your rp class and have your raid class something else if that'd help.

Just my take.

Hmm. I'd say try it a little bit as a tank, see if you like it! From the looks of it, it's really, really fun, and it's the only tank class I'll be seriously playing haha. Otherwise I agree with the others, FATE grinding works if you want to keep to having your IC class be your OOC class as well. Good luck! :D

Do not let what I say discourage you or give you the impression of something negative as that's what im trying my hardest not to come off as but im rather blunt regardless. 

But from MY experience,  tanking isn't for everyone. It isn't even about the game mechanics but more of the "if I mess up everyone dies" logic that floats around in the head. Some people can cope with it from the start and be great tanks. Others cant at first but grow into it. Some however just cant overcome that fear of being kicked or made fun of if they fuck up. And that's ok, not everyone can do it. Not a bad thing just how you as a person prefer to play.

My advice? If you want to rp a DRK? FATE grind to 50 or w/e and use that as your rp class and have your raid class something else if that'd help.

Just my take.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, and I am really thinking I might just not have the mindset for it.

Tanking and liking tanking, in my experience, requires a bizarre blend of control freak and perfectionist mentalities, coupled with a desire to strive to perform under adverse conditions, all of which is married to keen senses of space and rhythm. Oh, and a dose of masochism.

The mental process often resembles and/or includes the following thoughts:

"This is the ideal aka best way to pull this group, let me see if I can do it."

"I want these mobs HERE and I want to be HERE and I want us positioned like THIS."

"That ****ing **** of a **** pulled that mob off me, I'd better get it back from his **** ***."

"Okay, pop THESE cooldowns, that ought to keep me alive until... ffs healer UGH okay fine so I'll do THIS now....."

"Wonderful, we've good AoE dps. Let me do a long pull for a large pack and then try my best to NOT DIE."

"Ahahahahahaha I love boss mechanics!"

"That guy ran ahead of me and pulled before we were ready. I think I'll let him learn his lesson."

"So my party is capable of this much DPS and this much healing, and so-and-so needs special attention because he tends to run into conal AoE so I'd better spin it away from him without spinning the boss TOO much because the other guy is a monk...."

And so on.

If you're nervous about tanking (and I totally understand why you would be), you could always try to put together a group of friends to go with you over a standard pug. It helps when you're running with people who know you're learning, trying your best, and are willing to forgive mistakes. They may tease you along the way, but that's all in good fun, and can be a good bonding experience beside.

You could also consider seeking out a tanking mentor. Someone who knows the fights, has an eye for pulling and positioning and is willing to run along with you and teach you. I'm sure someone here on the RPC would be willing to help if you don't have someone in mind already.

I get nervous about new dungeons and raids too. I never want to the be that one dumb DPS who fails understand the mechanic or dies to a telegraphed move they should have seen coming. I play super serious when I first step into new territory, and stress myself out. It takes a few runs before I relax. Once I know what to expect and what to do, I can actually enjoy it.

You may find yourself being able to relax once you get used to things too. In the mean time, don't be so hard on yourself and don't push yourself so much. :3

Take a deep breath, and relax.

If you're worried about your tanking because lives depend on you, also remember that lives depend on you being a competent DPS as well. If you don't make that DPS check(Ifrit nail/Titan heart, to name a couple), everyone dies. If you misstep and die to an AoE, could lead to a wipe because there's not enough DPS. 

Now, look at your self in the tanking aspect. All you need to worry about is keeping threat(which DRK's do well last I knew), and timing cooldowns with big hits, positioning the boss, and yourself. 

Both tanks and DPS require some skill, and both can lead to a parties wipe. 

So take a deep breath, and play the class that you've grown to like.

People are going to be mean, but people are just as mean to DPS, and healers alike. Don't let idle words ruin you. I used to tank as a warrior pre-buff, I know what it is like, and I know what it means to be discouraged.

If all else fails, you don't need to play the game as the same class as your characters RP chosen profession. You can build a nice set for your DRK and RP in that clothing, and that style.

I realized I was not tank material when my reaction to having aggro stolen was: 'fuck it. If they want aggro so bad they can *have* aggro.'

Clearly not a very good tank mentality :P still, it's fun to derp around with friends. 

Like many others, I'll echo you should DRK your rp class if it fits your character, and PvE a class you find more enjoyable

I know how you feel.  I've been practicing healer (SCH) for the last little while since DPS queues were terrible for dungeons and I could still use SCH to level my SMN since they're both ACN classes.  The first few runs I was terrified.  Really stupid mistakes like everyone standing around waiting for me to cast Protect before someone finally reminds me to.  Or staying in Cleric Stance while I'm healing. 

But what I found was that the reality is people in the FFXIV community are surprisingly understanding when you're learning a new class, as long as you are making an honest effort and paying attention.  I'm starting to get the hang of healing and am actually liking it now because it gets easier and doesn't require as much attention once you develop the right habits.

Is tanking similar?  I don't know.  All I know is that I was afraid of being ridiculed or kicked out, but my actual experience has been people actually being really kind and understanding, even in the new dungeons.

Anyways, I think what you are mostly disliking is how much attention it requires combined with how much is riding on you.  But DPS and Healers have a lot riding on them as well.  You know as well as I do the pressure when the "kill adds" part of the battle happens.  And if you're patient and kind with other people, I'm sure they will treat you the same.

Give it a lot more time.  You might find you really love it and that it becomes easier.  Your confidence will go up also.  And being able to play as your IC class just gives you a good feeling which I can definitely understand.

Honestly there's been a lot of good advice here. I'd definitely echo taking friends with you to start out. I know I dragged Ameline and Trisselle with me to LOTS of dungeons as I was learning to tank. :D

Another suggestion that I found works well (and shows how nice the community is honestly) is that I often (and even do now) let people know when it's my first time tanking a dungeon. Usually it's something as simple as:

"Hey, this is my first time tanking here but not my first time through the dungeon."

That often let people know what to expect going in and a few times I even got some nice pointers out of it from people leveling alt classes and such.

While I don't exactly agree with Melkire, I've always been the the type of person who enjoys diving into the fight first and being the last to leave.

For me, tanking isn't about being a perfectionist, but about "if I don't do it, someone else will". Everyone has horror stories of bad tanks. I never found tanking "hard". I always found it as a way to push myself.

That isn't to say that everyone can do it well at first. You need extensive knowledge of both what you can do with your current gear, a good guess of what your healer and DPS are capable of and generally knowledge of any and all mechanics to that dungeon/fight.

I'm not good with observational learning (IE watching videos and knowing exactly what to do from said videos) and it's one of my biggest weaknesses, but you give me a few runs doing the content in question, I guarantee you I'll be doing it like I've been doing it for months. I learn quickly, and when it comes to Coil, it's probably one of [the best] qualities I have.

But be warned, no matter how good of a tank you are, you're only as effective as your healer. Sure you can just straight total beast mode a dungeon while undergeared, but it's not going to change the fact that if your healer can't keep you up, you're going to die and you're going to get blamed.

Generally speaking, people say tanking is a thankless job. I don't agree, it's the best role to play when you're helping new kids out, since you're able to control everything they may be worrying about. Me helping them out is enough thanks I need.

tldr; Tanking requires time and practice. Nobody gits gud as soon as they start the class. They need to familiarize and understand the kinks of their class. If you ever need pointers from a veteran in the world of tanks (pun intended, hue), just ask me.

We need more good tanks in the world, and a good tank is going to get very popular very quickly.

I don't know if this can help, but I used to hate tanking. Then I thought: "I hate tanking... I'm just like a DPS. A weak DPS... But at least I'm not as squishy, and I don't have to hold back to not pull aggro, because, you know, pulling aggro is my job... And I don't have to worry about perfect rotations, I just need to keep aggro... And if I die, I can just blame the healer... Actually, scratch that: I love tanking."

I am incredibly intimidated playing a tank. I’ve practised with some low-level dungeons and sometimes it went well, other times it didn’t go too well, and my concentration level is so intense that I am getting headaches, because I just don’t want to fuck up!

I might not be cut out to be a tank. Just thinking about doing some high-level dungeons or raids, it freaking terrifies me! And it saddens me so much, because I really love the Dark Knight jobclass.

I actually found myself in the exact same predicament, with my own main character. Her backstory hinged on being able to fight as a gladiator, but tanking absolutely terrified me. While it's still far from my cup of tea, I am extremely glad that I pushed through to keep her story intact.

Here are my best tips.

1) Level to 60 first and complete the MSQ with your preferred class role. Simply having a class at max level, will give you a big XP boost to the next class that you level. This also removes the pressure of tanking, while you work through the main instances and allows you to enjoy them.

2) Rather than leaping into the fray at level 20 or 30 content, start out with the most basic guildhiests and work up from there. Guildhiests are particularly useful if you are nervous because you can take lots of breaks between the short fights.

3) When you first enter a dungeon quickly type a message to the effect of "I have never tanked this place before. Do you have any tips?"  You should already have familiarized yourself with the fight, by running it on your OOC class, watching a video, or reading a guide. Even so you are going to mess up on your first run, and I have had some really great responses and support from randoms by being honest from the beginning.

4) Don't be afraid to use #3 on your second or third attempt if you still feel insecure about the dungeon. It helps people to understand that you are still learning.

5) Get familiar with non-tank methods of leveling. For the three weeks that I spent leveling my tank, I carefully completed the challenge log every week. The EXP is decent and it breaks up the stress of tanking really well.

6) If you can find friends who are willing to help, Grab them! You may still be repeatedly positioning the entire party in nasty AOEs but at least you know they will understand.

7) If all else fails grind FATES.

Since you have already unlocked DK, you can already strike #1 off of your list. If you should happen to see me around on Klynzahr Iyrnahctwyn and want help with #6, I would be happy to heal you through whatever content you wish to try. For the rest all it takes is a little patience and persistence. Remember once you hit 60 you never need to tank again!

8-)

....well not until 4.0.