Lalafell, Garleans, and a 3rd eye!? [Lore Topic]

Kage

Does anyone have any good comparison shots?

It just occurred to me, and I realized that Fufucha, the Botanist Guild Leader, has one of the Lalafell gems.

The only really close shot I have found on the internet is this:

JE1s00N.jpg

Now look at Nero's

nnMEhzQ.png

So far... they sorta look the same @_@

Are they the same? Does anyone here have a better image of the Lalafell forehead accessory? IS FUFUCHA GARLEAN? (jk)

Edit: I've also decided to delve into the other topics I've pondered about. Lalafell in the Garlean empire.

I've seen one conscripted Lalafell here.

jGjPXow.jpg

But where do you think they were conscripted from? Lalafell primarily came from the Southern Seas. Do you think they were taken when Ala Mhigo did?

On similar note, Wedge and Garlond Ironworks.

Is Wedge "Garlean" by virtue of his working for Cid and having him as his mentor? Did Ironworks exist before Cid left Garlemald and went to Eorzea so he could have brought Wedge along from that time? Or is it more likely that Wedge joined under the Ironworks once Cid came to Eorzea?

From what I can tell, the Garlean third eye seems to have a more...biological look to it. A little bead thingo coming out of the skin. The lalafell one in those screenshots have the clear appearance of a gem thingie with edges stuck onto the forehead. I don't know how to word this better lol.

I decided I'd hunt Fufucha down and take a screenshot of her Flowery Lalaness for an even better comparison!

Ignore that Au Ra dude in the background lurking over her...

ffxiv_09162015_114926_zpsgmbfjcge.png

As you can see, the mark matches what the players themselves are able to get. As for that Lalafell. I believe it's been stated that Garleans, after they take over an area, add those people and whatever they got to their own ranks . I'll need to refind this information as my mind is blanking on most of it. :/

For further proof of this, let's not forgot our favorite furry:

ffxiv_09162015_115851_zpsdk7hnofm.png

out in Azys Lla.

From what I can tell, the Garlean third eye seems to have a more...biological look to it. A little bead thingo coming out of the skin. The lalafell one in those screenshots have the clear appearance of a gem thingie with edges stuck onto the forehead. I don't know how to word this better lol.

It's much clearer with Nodem's help with the screenshots from character creation and different hair!

My google-fu fails me since I can't find that-one-lady's reveal in HW.

But the top of the gem and the top of the eye for Nero are different.

My google-fu fails me since I can't find that-one-lady's reveal in HW.

I could go rewatch the cutscene and just take a picture of it for you. :angel:

You'd be a gem :3 But I think your help with the gem inset really does show the difference. There's that little setting where the gem would get set into for the Dunesfolk gem. The garlean eye does look set into their skin etc.

So I guess I should be glad that the assets aren't the same.

Even if the asset is recycled, lore-wise the object is not the same.

The Third Eye is a biological aspect; although whether or not it is an actual eye is unclear (though implied; helmets and goggles such as Cid's have little viewports for it), it is only present on Native Garleans, and no one else. The forehead-gem is a removable piece of decoration placed as a zodiac sign.

Figured I could step in here, as both empires (Garlean and Allagan) are my specialty when it comes to lore. It's more or less been answered, but I'll drop a few other facts down.

The "Third Eye" is, as far as we known canonically, a trait native to pure-blooded Garleans. Pure-blooded Garleans could also more or less be considered their own race. They're very tall (many use Elezen models in-game, outside of their faces, to portray this), rather lanky, and quite muscular. Also, every single pure-blooded Garlean we've seen in-game has blonde / platinum blonde / white hair. Every single last one.

I threw hastily cropped together this picture of all pure-blooded Garleans we've seen in-game without their faces obscured. (Included Cid twice since his hair color did technically change from ARR to HW.)

7O3jB9O.png

Something to keep in mind if you play or plan on playing a pure-blooded Garlean! It seems far too convenient for every single one thus far to have blonde hair out of pure chance, considering none of them share familial bonds (as far as we know). Blonde hair is the safe bet for being the norm with pure-blooded Garleans.

Many also have blue eyes, though some have been shown to have yellow eyes. My personal fan theory is that they Garlean "race" draws parallels to the Aryan race.

Suffice it to say, pure-blooded Garleans are very distinct from the other races in Eorzea for numerous reasons. I find it very, very, very unlikely that the Lalafell's gemstone has anything to do with the third eye. As has been mentioned, it's almost certainly a decorative gemstone based around their culture.

As for that Lalafell. I believe it's been stated that Garleans, after they take over an area, add those people and whatever they got to their own ranks . I'll need to refind this information as my mind is blanking on most of it. :/

This is correct. The Garlean Empire does bolster their armed forces by conscription within subjugated territories. They're very careful about this, however, to avoid inciting rebellion within said territories. Most people who do wind up serving the empire do so for the sake of their families, as the empire will offer them protection in exchange for their service. The empire is, for the most part, not an awful place to live. This isn't the case everywhere, of course, but that can even be said about some locations in Eorzea. I could go on and on about that subject, but, it'd be a huge tangent from the conversation at hand.