Ishgard weaponry

Riven

Specifically those big anti-aircraft looking guns.  How do they work?  With bullets or something else?  With aether?

You mean the Dragon Killers? They're just ballistae that Ishgard uses against dragons. I'd assume it's the same mechanics however... I believe it's closer to a black powder charged ballista. We know Ishgardians have access to black powder, and the same family runs the MCH guild as makes the ballista. So I believe it'd be safe to assume they use gunpowder to propel their ballista bolts at dragons.

I don't recall anything going in depth about what they are as a whole... Just remember from Steps of Faith the DK's and you can find them pretty much everywhere in Ishgard.

Hope that helps.

I do believe the Dragon-Killers are closer to harpoons than ballistae. Which is admittedly a very minor difference, but the dragon killers seem to have tethers attached so that they can impale a dragon, then be used to pull it to the ground. Or, at least some of them are used that way. But as Nodem said, they're most likely a black powder weapon.

Also, in the CG video AND the game, the dragonkillers come with chain tethers and apparently an automated winch (as evidenced by bismarck fight).

They aren't "meant" to kill in so much that if it does kill, yay, but its primary function is to lodge into dragons and bring them down to the ground to have the finishing blow by foot soldiers, cannons, archers, what have you.

Also, while this is a bit of my headcanon coming into play, the CG shows Dragoons riding down dragons to the floor when they land a dragon as opposed to just leaping off, even dog piling onto the same one. So I like to think that once again, if they kill, they kill, but dragoons are like human dragonkillers (that sounds so "duh" when put like that). They leap on them, grounding them, and the troops can clean up, they leap again to ground more.

The dragonkillers are actually ceruleum powered, believe it or not. There's a quest in Coerthas where you're tasked with securing a shipment of ceruleum for Camp Dragonhead's emplacements.

While primarily a fuel source, ceruleum is highly explosive. Coerthas was also a hotspot for ceruleum mining in the past, so it wouldn't be surprising that they incorporated it into their technology. Back in 1.0, the empire had actually infiltrated and secured the Dzemael Darkhold in an effort to harvest the vast stores of ceruleum contained within the natural crystal formations strewn about the caves.

The dragonkillers are actually ceruleum powered, believe it or not. There's a quest in Coerthas where you're tasked with securing a shipment of ceruleum for Camp Dragonhead's emplacements.

I must have missed that part of the dialogue in the quest. Thanks for clarifying that up. Only reason I thought black powder is because it's a material used in the creation of MCH weapons, and the powder kegs we saw during Steps of Faith.

While primarily a fuel source, ceruleum is highly explosive. Coerthas was also a hotspot for ceruleum mining in the past, so it wouldn't be surprising that they incorporated it into their technology. Back in 1.0, the empire had actually infiltrated and secured the Dzemael Darkhold in an effort to harvest the vast stores of ceruleum contained within the natural crystal formations strewn about the caves.

We can see how well that worked for them...

From what we see ingame and from the HW Trailers there appear to be at least three variations of the Anti-Dragon cannons Ishgard uses.

Dragonkillers: Appear to be smaller in size and rather then firing projectiles that remain tethered to the emplacement pack a deadly punch akin to firing a lance at the target packed full of explosives and propelled by ceruleum. (As seen in the Steps of Faith)

Tethered Dragonkillers: Much larger emplacements that fire Dragonkiller projectiles that are either connected via chains or heavy line with the intention of either downing the dragon in the first shot or ensnaring it with the line to then pull it down like a harpoon. If you actually look at the ones in Ishgard it appears as if they are designed to lance the target then drag it down onto the emplacement which is coated by eight or ten fixed lances to finish it (Rather grim if you think about it) As seen in both the trailer and ingame on the various Ishgardian fortifications eg Dusk Vigil, Stone Vigil and Ishgard.

Snares: Most likely not a cannon in the sense of Dragonkillers the concept of being able to wrap chains around a creature like Vishap must involve some form of projectile or shot in order to get chains that must weigh a tonne up and over a moving dragons head.

Admittedly the reasons for the SOF Dragonkillers being smaller and not tethered compared to the ones mounted on the major fortifications may just be gameplay reasons, but if you compare the size of the one mounted to the gatehouse to the ones on the towers they are certainly different sizes. Considering the forces a dragon flying around in the air would pull the moment it took up the 'Slack' I imagine nothing short of very sturdy foundations is going to keep your Dragonkiller attached to the floor and bridge towers may not cut it so they get the smaller brother version.

Woops... considering the first question I think I may of gone on a tangent a little. But yes I imagine a combination of Ceruleum and black powder is used on all of their 'Anti-Air' features, due to the differing quality of the propellant I'd hazard a guess only Ishgard proper and its major outposts have Ceruleum firing Dragonkillers due to supply while the rest get Black powder or just Bertha's and snares. Its evident alone with the different styles of Dragonkillers between the city and everywhere else.

Interesting!  Was just having a conversation the other day about whether or not Ishgard may have made any domestic use of Magitek, and the lack of Cereleum was one pretty powerful point against it.  Seems it was not so simple perhaps! ^^

Interesting!  Was just having a conversation the other day about whether or not Ishgard may have made any domestic use of Magitek, and the lack of Cereleum was one pretty powerful point against it.  Seems it was not so simple perhaps! ^^

Evangeline had to learn how to make cereleum bombs somewhere ;D.

Aya's trivial magitek tinker affinity back online!! ;)

Aya's trivial magitek tinker affinity back online!! ;)

Do it! Our chars can talk about designer magitech handbags.

From what we see ingame and from the HW Trailers there appear to be at least three variations of the Anti-Dragon cannons Ishgard uses.

Dragonkillers: Appear to be smaller in size and rather then firing projectiles that remain tethered to the emplacement pack a deadly punch akin to firing a lance at the target packed full of explosives and propelled by ceruleum. (As seen in the Steps of Faith)

Tethered Dragonkillers: Much larger emplacements that fire Dragonkiller projectiles that are either connected via chains or heavy line with the intention of either downing the dragon in the first shot or ensnaring it with the line to then pull it down like a harpoon. If you actually look at the ones in Ishgard it appears as if they are designed to lance the target then drag it down onto the emplacement which is coated by eight or ten fixed lances to finish it (Rather grim if you think about it) As seen in both the trailer and ingame on the various Ishgardian fortifications eg Dusk Vigil, Stone Vigil and Ishgard.

Snares: Most likely not a cannon in the sense of Dragonkillers the concept of being able to wrap chains around a creature like Vishap must involve some form of projectile or shot in order to get chains that must weigh a tonne up and over a moving dragons head.

Admittedly the reasons for the SOF Dragonkillers being smaller and not tethered compared to the ones mounted on the major fortifications may just be gameplay reasons, but if you compare the size of the one mounted to the gatehouse to the ones on the towers they are certainly different sizes. Considering the forces a dragon flying around in the air would pull the moment it took up the 'Slack' I imagine nothing short of very sturdy foundations is going to keep your Dragonkiller attached to the floor and bridge towers may not cut it so they get the smaller brother version.

Woops... considering the first question I think I may of gone on a tangent a little. But yes I imagine a combination of Ceruleum and black powder is used on all of their 'Anti-Air' features, due to the differing quality of the propellant I'd hazard a guess only Ishgard proper and its major outposts have Ceruleum firing Dragonkillers due to supply while the rest get Black powder or just Bertha's and snares. Its evident alone with the different styles of Dragonkillers between the city and everywhere else.

And it's House Haillenarte that has the monoplly on Ishgard mac...okay. Is it machina or machinery? What's the proper term in this game?

• 5 weeks later...

Just was doing the quest in question about the Ceruleum, the ballista themselves don't ACTUALLY use the stuff!

be901606c6a0c2d777c866eacc548042.png

Instead, because of the snow and ice, it's the only thing that burns hot enough to prepare their actual firesand.

We've established through a number of quests that the North Shroud is less than a day's worth of walking from Camp Dragonhead. You'd think they'd just produce the firesand there and ship it back...