Geography of Hydaelyn

Kage

To clarify:

It's not a world map; as it says in the top left hand corner, it's a map of the three great continents - Othard, Ilsabard, and Aldenard.

So yes, we're still missing Meracydia (south) and the New World (west), as well as any as-yet-undiscovered-by-Eorzeans continents.

I think the Ilsabard thing is cute - because this is probably an in-universe document, and being as Eorzea has been at active war with Garlemald for a while now - and Garlemald likes to put huge holes in the ground on semi-regular occasion - it makes sense that Eorzeans would have no clue what's going on in Ilsabard geographically right now, other than the rough shape of its coastline and the position of some of its islands. It sheds light on Eorzea's position, if not necessarily on Ilsabard.

I wonder if the giant and the whale mean anything in particular, or are the equivalent of "here be dragons" in a world where we're meant to be making friends with dragons. xD

Thavnair.

By the way, the embedded images plugin doesn't give you the full resolution. So right click and open the image in a new tab and it should be easier in case that's it.

Thanks. It doesn't really help me read it, but it does help me see more of the map's beautiful details.

I am curious, though. I thought the continent we are on was called Eorzea, but it looks like the script might say Aldenard. I'm a bit confused as to what some of the smaller names are.

Thavnair.

By the way, the embedded images plugin doesn't give you the full resolution. So right click and open the image in a new tab and it should be easier in case that's it.

Thanks. It doesn't really help me read it, but it does help me see more of the map's beautiful details.

I am curious, though. I thought the continent we are on was called Eorzea, but it looks like the script might say Aldenard. I'm a bit confused as to what some of the smaller names are.

The continent we're on is Aldenard. Eorzea is a geographical region that encompasses Aldenard, Vylbrand, the Cieldales, and the other smaller islands around.

Thavnair.

51f271fe90.jpg

"Eorzea" is a political definition (like "United Kingdom"). "Aldenard" is geographical (like "Britain").

sYVB7b1.jpg

*Isle of Yorn's location on map is incorrect according to Encyclopedia Eorzea.

Landmass

>Realm

>>Continent

>>>Island

>>>>Region

>>>>>City-state

The Great Continents

>>Ilsabard

>>>Garlean Empire

>>>>>Garlemald

>The Near East

>>>>>Dalmasca

>>>Thavnair

>>>>>Radz-at-Han

>>Othard

>>>>Azim Steppe

>>>>The Burn

>>>>>Bozja

>>>>Greylic's Bend

>>>>>Rabanastre

>>>>Yanxia

>>>>>Doma

>>>Koshu

>>>>Hingashi

>>>>>Bukyo

>>>>>Kugane

>Eorzea

>>Aldenard

>>>>The Black Shroud

>>>>>Gridania

>>>>Gyr Abania

>>>>>Ala Mhigo

>>>>Coerthas

>>>>>Ishgard

>>>>Dravania

>>>>>Sharlayan (Colony)

>>>>Mor Dhona

>>>>>Revenant's Toll

>>>>Thanalan

>>>>>Ul'dah

>>>Vylbrand

>>>>O'Ghamaro

>>>>La Noscea

>>>>>Limsa Lominsa

>>>The Cieldalaes

>>>Mazlaya

>>>The Pearl

Other Continents/Landmasses

>>Meracydia

>>Mamook, the New World

>>>>>Mamool Ja

>>>Sharlayan, the Old World

>>>>>Sharlayan

>>>Northern Isle of Haam

>>>Eastern Isle of Yorn

>>>Southern Isle of Val

>>>Aerslaent, the Roegadyn Homeland

Hope this helps! ^^

I haven't played FF12 in such a long time and forgot about geographical region of it too, but wasn't  Ranabastre capital of Dalmasca?

I figured they'd place Dalmasca as south east of Othard to attach with Ranabastre to make reference of FF12 and Ivalice, but unless they are going differently since it is FF14?

I haven't played FF12 in such a long time and forgot about geographical region of it too, but wasn't  Ranabastre capital of Dalmasca?

I figured they'd place Dalmasca as south east of Othard to attach with Ranabastre to make reference of FF12 and Ivalice, but unless they are going differently since it is FF14?

In FFXII, yes, the Royal City of Rabanastre was the capital of the Kingdom of Dalmasca.

In FFXIV, they are listed as separate nations on separate continents - Dalmasca a nation nestled in Ilsabard's central mountains, and Rabanastre a nation in Othard. Where Rabanastre is exactly located has never been mentioned beyond "Othard" but with most of the Far Eastern map uncovered we now have a better guess for it being located in Othard's southern desert region. If you look really closely between the cracks in the clouds just south of the Skatav Range where the birds are flying, you can see the telltale yellow/brown coloring these maps use for deserts.

In 1517' date=' he was granted control of Garlemald as dictator by overwhelming popular support. The same year, the republic attacked Dalmasca, a small country nestled in the central mountains, and rained down fire upon it with their new airships. Thus, the Garlean army turned to conquer the south of Ilsabard.[/quote']

Anwyll: Now that you mention it, though, when Gaius first lands in Vylbrand, the voiced guy does say Othard. It stuck in my head because in another language he says he’s from Rabanastre.

MCKF: Guess where Rabanastre iiis!

• 7 months later...

Finally have a confirmed location for Rabanastre and the Kingdom of Dalmasca:

The Dalmasca Desert is a vast wasteland in the southern reaches of central Othard, sharing an eastern border with Nagxia. So large is the desert that it is divided into two regions, the Estersands and the Westersands. Thirty years ago, the kingdom of Dalmasca was invaded by the Garlean Empire. When the king and his council refused to pledge fealty to the Empire, war erupted, resulting in the end of the royal B'nargin line.

For a thousand years, Dalmasca had maintained its independence, only to see it crumble in a matter of moons before the might of Solus zos Galvus's metal-clad legions. Even the Royal City of Rabanastre - the fabled Desert Sapphire - was not spared. Emboldened by the uprisings in Doma and Ala Mhigo, resistance groups within Dalmasca have attempted coups of their own, yet all have been silenced - the Empire always seeming to know exactly when and where the insurgencies would begin.

When I was a boy, I accompanied my father on one of his caravans to Rabanastre, and consider myself fortunate to have seen the Royal City before its fall. The sight of its minarets bathed in the gold of sunset is something I will never forget.

This directly contradicts more Encyclopedia Eorzea lore dating the invasion of Dalmasca in 1517, 60 years ago. So more errata for the lore book. It does however clarify how Drest was present for the invasion and fall of Dalmasca mentioned here. Livia mount text doesn't fit with literally anything else we know about Dalmasca anywhere and needs a retcon, unfortunately.

This disturbed me a great deal as well. I thought previous lore stated that Dalmasca was in Ilsabard while Rabanastre was another city in Othard?

Yes. However, if we treat everything we learned about Dalmasca from the Encyclopedia Eorzea as untrue (which, according to this latest text - it is) then all previously established lore on Dalmasca as given to us in game makes sense. It was only information given to us in the lore book which made everything we had learned previously about the nation completely out of whack. Moose covers all the discrepancies here.

Way back when, given the information we had, Rabanastre and Dalmasca being separate locations made the most sense. However, we know now that they are one-in-the-same. And we finally have a precise location, which, thankfully I at least guessed that correctly in that post above.