Random Concept: Reel Air Fishing?

Ozma

Does anyone genuinely enjoy Fishing and play the game to become the very best fisher with end game fishing gear? Personally Fishing has always been one thing where I couldn't get my motivations flowing whether it be on WoW or on FFXIV. For those of you who finds Fishing incredibly enjoyable then please share some insight as to why. As for what I would like to discuss about is how everyone feels about Fishing and how it could be improved? If it has room for improvement what would you change to make it more interesting? 

The following are some ideas I was juggling with when I was on my lunch break armed with a Pen and Scrap paper from the photocopy machine. 

It would be a 1 hour of Fishing Raid(or I'd personally call it a Voyage) which would be a weekly thing you can queue up for, twice a week if you get a premade going which would yield better rewards for a full premade. It would be a 24man raid of Fishers riding on top of a massive Airship big enough to fit 24 people. On this ship you can fish for winged fantasy fish which are highly exclusive for airfishing voyages.

The air voyage can run into various random problems such as running into giant winged whale who wants to eat your ship and bumps into it in an attempt to throw players overboard (dead with a res timer of 5~10 minutes).

They might be attacked by a band of loot hungry Sky Pirates who drops down onto the ship for some airbooty and you guys have to switch back to your respective raid classes to fend them off in waves while defending the Fishers.

During airfishing you might be attacked by vicious Air Pirahanas that puts nasty ticking debuff on you where you lose 20% of your hp every 1 second and the only way to remove the debuff is by having healers top them up with overhealing.

From time to time you'll also fish up a rare Flying Sahagin named Bob who comes aboard the ship and you can challenge him to a game of Triple Triad for a extremely rare card but he will take a challenge fee of X many Gil if you Lose.

The content will also have a system similar to a rep grind (though not as insanely stupid like WoW) which eventually can gain you access to a new housing area called the Sky Dunes where you can build houses on floating islands.

what I enjoy about fishing: have the game on half my screen, a book(sometimes for school), show, manga up on the other. I up the game noises and click the corresponding button on my mouse. It lets me zone out and destress from the day.

I would like to see fishing become more like fishing games. Like adding an angling function to fishing.

You could just kinda let the line sit and hope you catch something good. Or, you could use a lure and try to hook something special. It could be a reaction-sensitive or mash-sensitive struggle with the fish. You have to mash it to keep it in a certain area in order to keep the fish, but don't mash too hard or you'll rip the line free.

There would still be RNG involved. Sometimes you have to suffer through the embarrassing rite of passage of struggling fiercely with an Old Boot.

Some fish might even initiate a purple encounter circle, much like those you find during quests, in which you can change classes without incurring CD loss, and that will spawn a Notorious Fish that will fight you! I was sad that I could not fight the infamous olgoi-khorkhoi of my cryptid worshiping dreams...

Anyway, I'm definitely not trying to make fishing more like certain other games I enjoy. Clearly.

memancing.jpg

I am one of those end game fishers. I love it, and I've completed all but 1 fishing achievement in the game so far (10k hq fish @_@ ) and have collected every fish currently in game, even the 3.1 ones. I am that person. I don't really have a real reason why, it's just something that I find relaxing and fun to pass the time in game when I'm not raiding or grinding tomes/scrips.

I also played FSH in 1.0, and after that, I really don't think FSH needs to change into anything than what it is now. My only gripe about fisher is that its more difficult to make a profit with fishing than it is with botany and mining. But way back when during 2.0 beta Yoshi came out and said that FSH's new design for ARR would be purely for relaxation and less of an actual gathering job. So I take it as that - relaxing, and a pretty good source of lore too.

pv5ybgT.png

(Also, FSH is true endgame. You haven't seen difficulty until you've tried to collect every Big Fish.)