Eorzean Zodiac Wheel

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I lied. Here's another update on Halone. Foreground is nearly complete and the background is all that's left after. Anybody have any tips on rendering ice? The ice wall is going to freeze my brain over, I can tell already. 

0qiyzUA.jpg

*I realized after looking at the hair color that I might need to darken it. Oops!

First: Beautiful. Holy wow. I'm beginning to get way too excited.

Second: Other than just drawing the lines/facets of the ice crystals in a blue color rather than black, I am not sure how to go about this. I'm sure some artsies around here will have good ideas.~

This is shaping up to look amazing!! Can't wait to see it finished!

I'm sure there are a lot of great tutorials out there on how to illustrate ice. I found one good one here: http://www.ehow.com/how_7885817_paint-look-like-ice.html - though it's geared more for painting something like a frozen pond. It sounds simple enough but I'm sure there's probably some degree of trial and error involved in getting it to look the way you want. I would think the challenge would be that it's an upright translucent surface that would also reflect light. I bet a general search on dA or google for "ice wall" might help you find some references or get the creative process flowing~

They're all so wonderful Mtoto! If I know Manari like I think I do, she will probably prefer the green. And I had thought you might go with a deep maroon for this one for sure, but I think the green really works well! :thumbsup:

Eva is right, I personally love the green.  I've always thought Manari looked natural in green.  It goes with her eyes and she's always in the Shroud, too.  But I realize this picture is also Menphina, who's element is ice, so the blue makes sense too.  

Both of them suit the picture very well, but I am partial to the green.  Either way this picture is looking absolutely perfect!  I still think you made her hair exactly how I wish it looked in game.  It's so beautiful.

Oooh, Maroon is definitely a good choice! I'm thinking of playing around with that and pink to play on the whole "love" aspect of Menphina while flora wise, I think I'll go with frozen roses to continue on with her elemental affinity of ice. :D

I feel like I'm getting faster and getting the whole process down. I think that this piece in particular is really making me focus on the flowers more than the last two, so I think I'll go back once I get the others done and touch up the plants. Aside from the overlay I'm using for all of them, I didn't apply any texturess on the Nophica piece, but I'm considering going back and adding a some to the dress and the trees, but we'll see. 

Currently we don’t have any plans at the moment for illustrating all of the twelve. However, in the Beta Test you might just be able to find some statues of them, so definitely try and explore!

Moving forward we plan on having more things like this that give you a better feel of the lore.

I think when this project is finished you should show it to SE. For reals.