[04-06-2016] The Discussion Tag

Short version: Tag your thread as a "Discussion" if you do not want meme posts, .gifs, silly one-liners or comments, or other posts that may or may not add substance to the thread. Threads that are not specifically tagged as "Discussion" are not subject to the Low-Effort Posting rule, although staff will still remove posts that break the site's rules.

Long version: As you may have noticed, we've now implemented the "Discussion" tag in select forums. You can assign the "Discussion" tag to your thread by using the prefix, as displayed in the image below.

b2f1c8927a.png

As you may recall, a while ago we implemented the Ruling Against Low Effort Posting. Per that ruling's announcement:

The purpose of pruning low-effort posts is to allow actual discussion posts to have precedence within threads and boards that are specifically intended for discussion.

Essentially, the intention of the original ruling was to cut down on meme or .gif posting in discussion topics so that discussion posts with more substantial content would be allowed to take precedence.

However, with the implementation of the "Discussion" tag, the Low-Effort Posting rule will only apply to those threads that have been specifically tagged with "Discussion". While inflammatory comments or posts that are blatantly and/or provocatively off-topic will still be removed as per the rules Section 1 - Posting and Topics, and Section 4 - Tone and Attitude, things like joke .gifs or posts with minimal or little content won't be removed unless the thread is specifically tagged as a "Discussion" thread.

You can look at the Ruling Against Low Effort Posting thread to see specific examples of low-effort posts that may be removed in threads that are tagged as "Discussion".

The Discussion tag has been implemented on the following boards.

Final Fantasy 14

• FFXIV Discussion

Community

• RP Discussion
  • Lore Discussion
  • Making Connections
  • Character Workshop

Off-Topic

• Off-Topic Discussion

The "Discussion" tag can be added to a thread retroactively, but the technical limitations of the plugin means the staff cannot see exactly when it is applied. For that reason, it is recommended that users tag their thread immediately if they wish for the Low-Effort Posting rules to apply to their thread, and that users do not retroactively remove or add the Discussion tag.

Feel free to provide feedback to this feature in the posts below.

I feel that this is going to lead to more arguing on what low content posting is and isn't.

The discussion boards have been very civil as of late, is there truly a problem that needs addressing with this?

Edit: It just seems like more rules for the sake of rules, as people don't seem to have an issue recognizing what kind of posts should go where.

I feel that this is going to lead to more arguing on what low content posting is and isn't.

The discussion boards have been very civil as of late, is there truly a problem that needs addressing with this?

Edit: It just seems like more rules for the sake of rules, as people don't seem to have an issue recognizing what kind of posts should go where.

looks like less rules to me, which is something i welcome - at the very least, this tag will let me know which threads i don't want to post in

It wasn't implemented to be a "rule" as much as it is an organizational tool and a clear, unambiguous indicator of exactly where the LEP rule will apply so that users won't have to worry about not knowing where or to what the rule applies.

It wasn't implemented to be a "rule" as much as it is an organizational tool and a clear, unambiguous indicator of exactly where the LEP rule will apply so that users won't have to worry about not knowing where or to what the rule applies.

In that case, I suppose it makes sense, it also gives the thread creator power over that decision.

Maybe I missed it. How does a "Discussion" tag appear to those looking at thopic?

It just looks like [Discussion] when you see the threads in forums.

Hydaelyn Role-Players → Final Fantasy 14 → FFXIV Discussion v → [Discussion] DUTY COMMENCED Episode 11 - April 8 (Lore Lowdown)

If you looked in the FFXIV Discussion forum you would see the [Discussion] tag on that thread title in the boards.