this made me giggle.WoW vs FF

....oh boy this topic again.

They are different because of how the games are designed. 

They are different because one is made in Japan and one is made in America.

They are different and should not be compared

Imho: I still play both. I play WoW for raiding (bearing 11 years here) and enjoy ff14 for the rp. Both games are good. One is no better than the other. Yes I know right now WoW is in their shittirst expansion. 

A better comparison is...

Ff11 vs Ff14

Or WoW to (insert mmo that has near identical traits of wow's ui/combat/skills/gameplay)

You should never compare apples and oranges. Compare granny Smith apples to Macintosh.

Both games are good? Maybe once upon a time kek.

FFXIV used to be pure shit back in 1.0, now WoW is pure shit. Hope Legion fixes shit for my fallen brothers and sisters still roleplaying on that piece of crap game.

But I doubt it

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/starcraft-2/128252-a-short-history-of-activision-blizzard-or-how

I think that either game is going to have strengths or weaknesses depending on why you play it.

If you're playing WoW to raid, until you hit that final tier of content that drags on from one expac to another, WoD was fine. The raids were not the weak point of the expansion. And Blizzard still does raiding better than FFXIV does, at least from a healing standpoint (FFXIV has the stronger healing model, but WoW's game engine is much more optimized for raid combat and their raids, in general, are far more intricate and engaging than the ones in FF).

The problem is, there's nothing else to do in WoW other than sit in your garrison and watch the NPCs move around.

I haven't played WoW in a long while, so I can't really judge the current status of the game.

I wish FFXIV had a better PvP system. We don't even have duels ffs.

Also, I wish FFXIV had more dynamic classes like there are (or was?) in WoW. ie having the opportunity to branch off and have a choice in roles / abilities / weapon types.

I'd want to play a WAR or DRK, but not as a tank. We're sorta relegated to these roles and there's a tremendous lack in diversity imho

FFXIV has far superior graphics though, and I much prefer the controls in this game. It feels less jerky. I also like the aesthetic and lore more in FFXIV. Also the player housing, and a bunch of other stuff.

The problem is, there's nothing else to do in WoW other than sit in your garrison and watch the NPCs move around.

I agree with your post! I will add though that this argument can be used against any mmo. Currently I feel like I have nothing else to do in FFXIV, which is why I began roleplaying

I feel like both MMO's have their perks and drawbacks. I'll admit, I've long since grown tired of WoW for numerous reasons that I won't go into here. There's still stuff I miss about it though - especially since it was a lot easier for me to find like-minded, reliable role-players there.

FFXIV provides a lot more value for money as far as I'm concerned - since the overall package is just better and more consistent for me. It's a little shaky at times but the amount of new content added far surpasses what a lot of other MMO's offer. The fact that it's heavily influenced by the single player Final Fantasy games - which I practically grew up with - is a major plus as well.

I feel like both MMO's have their perks and drawbacks. I'll admit, I've long since grown tired of WoW for numerous reasons that I won't go into here. There's still stuff I miss about it though - especially since it was a lot easier for me to find like-minded, reliable role-players there.

FFXIV provides a lot more value for money as far as I'm concerned - since the overall package is just better and more consistent for me. It's a little shaky at times but the amount of new content added far surpasses what a lot of other MMO's offer. The fact that it's heavily influenced by the single player Final Fantasy games - which I practically grew up with - is a major plus as well.

Think you summed up my thoughts perfectly there, Graeham. Being from the EU has its drawbacks, especially because our community used to be a lot more... conflict based for roleplay, most on the US shy away from that type of roleplay, and I miss that.

Like some of the peeps who have posted on this thread, I have played WoW since vanilla, up to the current expansion.

it just -feels- dated. I know that isn't a very accurate description[from someone on a roleplay forum no less:blush: ], but there you have it. Despite their graphics reboot, it still looks pixelated and basic.No matter what settings you play on. Combat looks and feels clunky and awkward- pew pew indeed. Garrisons are pointless, and have taken the game into the direction I felt SWTOR went- a singe player game with mmo moments/elements. Sure finding a group is somewhat easy[raid or not], but..other than that?

Logging on to grind. And grind some more.Rep here, rep there, everywhere a rep rep.Repeat. Meh.

Im very new to FF, and so in awe of the graphics.OMG so pretty.It seems that, with the elaborate  graphics, housing, chocobos, character customization, that ff is ...hm, dare I say it?-Better-?

WoW is a reaaallly old game it's hard for me to look at it. Just so old. If I want to play retro I'll plug in the ps2.. or the snes..

Yeah, so old.

14967894540_d3ffd3366b_o.jpg

Just like PS2.

15151598411_16ef20284c_o.jpg

15164378215_d877b636a1_o.jpg

15153086746_fd045a73e2_o.jpg

No idea how anyone stands it.

6974732184_af9ccb1378_o.jpg

The agony.

7120814537_48e9a47777_o.jpg

Like some of the peeps who have posted on this thread, I have played WoW since vanilla, up to the current expansion.

it just -feels- dated. I know that isn't a very accurate description[from someone on a roleplay forum no less:blush: ], but there you have it. Despite their graphics reboot, it still looks pixelated and basic.No matter what settings you play on. Combat looks and feels clunky and awkward- pew pew indeed. Garrisons are pointless, and have taken the game into the direction I felt SWTOR went- a singe player game with mmo moments/elements. Sure finding a group is somewhat easy[raid or not], but..other than that?

Logging on to grind. And grind some more.Rep here, rep there, everywhere a rep rep.Repeat. Meh.

Im very new to FF, and so in awe of the graphics.OMG so pretty.It seems that, with the elaborate  graphics, housing, chocobos, character customization, that ff is ...hm, dare I say it?-Better-?

In some ways. It has weaknesses in others, like raiding, the UI, etc.

Edited to Add: Although I feel like if you think WoW combat is clunky, you are going to be really, really irritated by FFXIV's combat. Because it's basically WoW combat...but slower. Much, much slower.

WoW is a reaaallly old game it's hard for me to look at it. Just so old. If I want to play retro I'll plug in the ps2.. or the snes..

Yeah, so old.

Just like PS2.

I don't spend a lot of time looking at landscapes unless it's my house. And.. well. My graphics not even max on FF but they sure as shit max on WoW. And why is the cloud eating? I don't know, the cloud's gotta eat.

WoW: http://i.imgur.com/GFpu2BH.jpg

FF: http://i.imgur.com/EDjf6bk.png http://i.imgur.com/2xhRZb8.png

And I spend a lot of time looking at my character's faces..

WoW: http://i.imgur.com/a4vPYIO.jpg http://i.imgur.com/TXWnN1R.jpg (great landscape but look at the pixel texture of my dated mount in the corner.. to me, that's kind of like agony. Some things look good but then there's these big ugly reminders that not everything has been updated.)

FF: http://i.imgur.com/oquqJMw.png (even in the dumbest of outfits with dirt on his face, looks better than wow..) http://i.imgur.com/RFIo1kP.png

WoW model updates:

http://i.imgur.com/fqTR51Q.jpg

She looked better before if you ask me. Her face, anyway. I don't like those weird new eyes. They're awful. The model update was certainly kind to some characters, but not that one.

http://i.imgur.com/yQP7NB1.jpg

What the hell even happened here? How did they manage this? I was so mad about this I wrote several tickets. I don't think I need to explain what's upset me in this picture.

http://i.imgur.com/LJW7V8C.png

Again, somewhat whitewashed. I know nobody on WoW liked that we could have semi-tanned elves, but I reallllly liked my semi-tanned blood elf. Now.. he's no more. Just looks like the rest of them.

....And the landscapes on wow, what you've shown? The RPers only hang around stormwind for alliance, silvermoon for horde. So.. those shiny new WoD places? Yeah not so bad to look at, but if you're gonna play WoW the way I would be playing it you're stuck in a dated looking tavern/cathedral that's 10+ years old. 11? I think 11 years old.

Anyway, as for ps2 graphics.

silenthill3_051203_11.jpg

Looks just as nice to me. If not nicer.

Meet_lamont.jpg

Again, on par. The people look better and the landscapes in that game are just as eyepleasing.

...Dare I say..

finalfantasyxhdscreenshotmay31st.jpg

I find this game more eyepleasing. I do. Honest.

Bear in mind, all of the pictures I shared were during the Betas of the respective expansions, and I did not have my graphics maxed.

I suppose it's a matter of taste in art styles. They're two different art styles, but the combat is far smoother and raiding is more engaging, so in that respect, WoW has FFXIV beaten. In terms of armor looks, story, etc, FFXIV is stronger.

Bear in mind, all of the pictures I shared were during the Betas of the respective expansions, and I did not have my graphics maxed.

I suppose it's a matter of taste in art styles.  They're two different art styles, but the combat is far smoother and raiding is more engaging, so in that respect, WoW has FFXIV beaten.  In terms of armor looks, story, etc, FFXIV is stronger.

I got my own beefs with WoW as a game, but ...I do have uuhhhh.. goddamn I don't know? Four level 100s? Way too many lvl 90ies. I have a 90 of every class I don't have a 100 of. I did preorder Legion and I am planning on playing it when it drops. I've played that game since closed beta vanilla and I'll probably see it through til the end. The global cooldown on FF sucks for sure. WoW's got that over FF but ..going through the world and seeing stuff that's 10 years old also makes me squint. I'm forever going to be upset that they'll never update some of my favorite mount models. Particularly the low lvl brewfest ram that horde can ride.

The nail in the coffin for WoW, for me, was in Cata when they introduced LFR. I raid hard, I get gear. People raid minimal, they get recolored gear that looks pretty much just like mine. I've been told that LFR might be on its way out come Legion though. We'll see.

I got my own beefs with WoW as a game, but ...I do have uuhhhh.. goddamn I don't know? Four level 100s? Way too many lvl 90ies. I have a 90 of every class I don't have a 100 of. I did preorder Legion and I am planning on playing it when it drops. I've played that game since closed beta vanilla and I'll probably see it through til the end. The global cooldown on FF sucks for sure. WoW's got that over FF but ..going through the world and seeing stuff that's 10 years old also makes me squint. I'm forever going to be upset that they'll never update some of my favorite mount models. Particularly the low lvl brewfest ram that horde can ride.

The nail in the coffin for WoW, for me, was in Cata when they introduced LFR. I raid hard, I get gear. People raid minimal, they get recolored gear that looks pretty much just like mine. I've been told that LFR might be on its way out come Legion though. We'll see.

Well, if you raid that much, then you understand what I'm saying. The sync issues in FFXIV combined with the ridiculous GCD are incredibly irritating. I just feel that combat is smoother due to both issues. But, of course FF is "prettier" in combat graphics and in things like models/armor looks.

But I can die from jumping off things in WoW. In fact, I can inadvertently kill myself by falling off cliffs, etc. That doesn't happen in FF, which is kind of a bummer. Why can't I throw myself off my FC house's back fence into oblivion?

Also, I miss exploration. There isn't a whole lot of that in FF, unfortunately. Then again, SMV was a real pain to explore.

Honestly, I only hear the GCD complaints mainly from people who haven't done progression raiding. 

There are so many OGCDs and other things going on between each cooldown, it's not much different from WoW. 

The sync issues I can't really speak on, because I've never gotten them, even in 2.0 before they fixed the netcode. 

In anycase the biggest thing I wish FFXIV would take from WoW is itemization. FFXIV has horribly shit itemization, it's so bad that it almost feels like they should make gear cosmetic only. The there is a complete lack of Procs, abilities, or interesting secondary stats. Yoshi-p please.

Honestly, I only hear the GCD complaints mainly from people who haven't done progression raiding. 

There are so many OGCDs and other things going on between each cooldown, it's not much different from WoW. 

The sync issues I can't really speak on, because I've never gotten them, even in 2.0 before they fixed the netcode. 

In anycase the biggest thing I wish FFXIV would take from WoW is itemization. FFXIV has horribly shit itemization, it's so bad that it almost feels like they should make gear cosmetic only. The there is a complete lack of Procs, abilities, or interesting secondary stats. Yoshi-p please.

I was a hardcore raider in WoW. I raided in US Top 50 and 30 guilds. Even with their fast as hell GCD, I was always looking to get another spell out, as a healer. The slow GCD drives me absolutely bonkers.

And I've had sync issues from the beginning that I've never gotten in WoW. It got better when they fixed the netcode, but there are still issues.

I was a hardcore raider in WoW.  I raided in US Top 50 and 30 guilds.  Even with their fast as hell GCD, I was always looking to get another spell out, as a healer.  The slow GCD drives me absolutely bonkers.

And I've had sync issues from the beginning that I've never gotten in WoW.  It got better when they fixed the netcode, but there are still issues.

Have you done progression raiding in FFXIV? Just curious, because I hear this a lot from people who's experience of the game comes from lower and mid tier content.

Part of it is confirmation bias though, because if the GCD bothers people enough, they never get into raiding to start with.

I was a hardcore raider in WoW.  I raided in US Top 50 and 30 guilds.  Even with their fast as hell GCD, I was always looking to get another spell out, as a healer.  The slow GCD drives me absolutely bonkers.

And I've had sync issues from the beginning that I've never gotten in WoW.  It got better when they fixed the netcode, but there are still issues.

Have you done progression raiding in FFXIV? Just curious, because I hear this a lot from people who's experience of the game comes from lower and mid tier content.

Part of it is confirmation bias though, because if the GCD bothers people enough, they never get into raiding to start with.

idk I'm doing a6s tomorrow /shrug

I don't like the GCD just because I'm a healer and I can't account for tank's cooldowns/what things people are going to stand in. As a WHM I have.. one mini oh shit button, one big oh shit button and those only work -sometimes- depending on if the server likes me or not. Assize is nice though.

I definitely have always felt the sync issue, and felt the gameplay was slow (i.e. GCD issue). I did some raiding in ARR, but not "progression", I guess! One of the reasons I haven't and won't, is just that I never found it all that fun for those two above reasons, and I never really cared for FF boss design.

I always loved WoWs (both its gameplay, and bosses), but I wonder which I am playing now despite all of that? ^^

Nothing like what I did in WoW, but I did have a static during First Binding Coil. I quickly realized that it was not for me - the encounters are too simplistic, the issues with the GCD were a continuous irritant, and as much as I love the healing model, the sync issue was immensely frustrating. Just wasn't worth it for me to try to carve out time to devote to raiding in FF when I was actively raiding in WoW, too.

I don't like the GCD just because I'm a healer and I can't account for tank's cooldowns/what things people are going to stand in. As a WHM I have.. one mini oh shit button, one big oh shit button and those only work -sometimes- depending on if the server likes me or not. Assize is nice though.

The Benediction issue is enraging. It's honestly worse than watching GS go off and not save the tank in WoW.

I might be strange, but I actually like the precasts and such. 

I never raid healed on wow, but there is something about doing it in ffxiv that makes it feel almost like a turn based game. You have to map out a few heals ahead what you plan to do, since if you mess up you might not have enough time to do it. 

It might just be a preference thing, ffxiv has been the only MMO i've liked the combat enough to actually want to raid.

Nothing like what I did in WoW, but I did have a static during First Binding Coil.  I quickly realized that it was not for me - the encounters are too simplistic, the issues with the GCD were a continuous irritant, and as much as I love the healing model, the sync issue was immensely frustrating.  Just wasn't worth it for me to try to carve out time to devote to raiding in FF when I was actively raiding in WoW, too.

The Benediction issue is enraging.  It's honestly worse than watching GS go off and not save the tank in WoW.

Tetra is a mini pissoff but I usually don't use it when something is at 25%. I should be able to bene someone at 10%, but I usually use it at 20-25%. Even then it's.. unreliable. I've used it at 40% before just to use it successfully and save some MP in a pinch. Depends on the fight really. Ilwe usually got my back.

I might be strange, but I actually like the precasts and such. 

I never raid healed on wow, but there is something about doing it in ffxiv that makes it feel almost like a turn based game. You have to map out a few heals ahead what you plan to do, since if you mess up you might not have enough time to do it. 

It might just be a preference thing, ffxiv has been the only MMO i've liked the combat enough to actually want to raid.

Healing things like the hammerfaust (sp? The big faust after the two little fausts on savage) isn't so much precast, as it's spam cureII and hope that tank is using cooldowns at the right moment and isn't autoattacked for a lot right after being chunked. Raid healing on FFXIV is just medica II and sometimes a medica/cure III depending on how stacked up your buddies are. It doesn't really feel... turn based to me? It just feels like.. WHERE EVERYBODY AT? WHERE YOU STANDING? WHY IS THAT GUY IN NARNIA HUH?

eddited to snip out a lot of convo

..and well, the start of hammerfaust isn't so bad but near the end of that badboy it's real ..clenching.

Healing things like the hammerfaust (sp? The big faust after the two little fausts on savage) isn't so much precast, as it's spam cureII and hope that tank is using cooldowns at the right moment and isn't autoattacked for a lot right after being chunked. Raid healing on FFXIV is just medica II and sometimes a medica/cure III depending on how stacked up your buddies are. It doesn't really feel... turn based to me? It just feels like.. WHERE EVERYBODY AT? WHERE YOU STANDING? WHY IS THAT GUY IN NARNIA HUH?

eddited to snip out a lot of convo

"Is that guy actually standing in fire or am I confused? Wait, I just healed him and he wasn't taking any damage....oh, I guess I don't really know where he is on my screen because lolsync."

Years and years of being trained to watch both party frames and my surroundings at the same time...