this made me giggle.WoW vs FF

Healing things like the hammerfaust (sp? The big faust after the two little fausts on savage) isn't so much precast, as it's spam cureII and hope that tank is using cooldowns at the right moment and isn't autoattacked for a lot right after being chunked. Raid healing on FFXIV is just medica II and sometimes a medica/cure III depending on how stacked up your buddies are. It doesn't really feel... turn based to me? It just feels like.. WHERE EVERYBODY AT? WHERE YOU STANDING? WHY IS THAT GUY IN NARNIA HUH?

eddited to snip out a lot of convo

"Is that guy actually standing in fire or am I confused?  Wait, I just healed him and he wasn't taking any damage....oh, I guess I don't really know where he is on my screen because lolsync."

Years and years of being trained to watch both party frames and my surroundings at the same time...

It's like we're playing different games @_@.

I've never had to deal with anything like that.

Doubt you main a healer.

During Titan HM and Ex, I would see people who were in the weights on my screen, but took no damage, while other people ended up dead on the edges of the platform from weight damage, even though all of the weights were clustered in the center of the room. On Rafflasia, everyone in my party appeared to be moving during the insta-kill mechanic. Everyone. Sometimes one person would die, sometimes no one would die. I never knew which one it was. In Void Ark, I've seen people dance in the poop on my screen on the Cuculain (sp) fight, and take no damage, while people who are visibly not in the shit on my screen died from said damage.

¯\(°_o)/¯

I have more examples, but those are a few of the most egregious. This is important because it means that if I'm conserving mana, I need to wait several seconds until the damage goes out because what I'm seeing and what's actually happening are two different things. So instead of being efficient and having a heal queued up to bomb on the person who probably just took 75%+ of their life, I have to wait because they might not have taken any damage at all. It's frustrating when I can't trust what I'm seeing and plan accordingly.

Doubt you main a healer.

During Titan HM and Ex, I would see people who were in the weights on my screen, but took no damage, while other people ended up dead on the edges of the platform from weight damage, even though all of the weights were clustered in the center of the room.  On Rafflasia, everyone in my party appeared to be moving during the insta-kill mechanic.  Everyone.  Sometimes one person would die, sometimes no one would die.  I never knew which one it was.  In Void Ark, I've seen people dance in the poop on my screen on the Cuculain (sp) fight, and take no damage, while people who are visibly not in the shit on my screen died from said damage.

¯\(°_o)/¯

I have more examples, but those are a few of the most egregious.  This is important because it means that if I'm conserving mana, I need to wait several seconds until the damage goes out because what I'm seeing and what's actually happening are two different things.  So instead of being efficient and having a heal queued up to bomb on the person who probably just took 75%+ of their life, I have to wait because they might not have taken any damage at all.  It's frustrating when I can't trust what I'm seeing and plan accordingly.

I mained WHM in all of second coil, and yeah, this is all news to me.

I know some people have had to use WTFast, but what I see is always what I get. Generally though I don't look at the actual mechanics, I just watch healthbars and enemy castbars. The exception are the mechancs (like the ones in Midas) that rely on visual cues rather than castbars.

I know some people have had to use WTFast, but what I see is always what I get. Generally though I don't look at the actual mechanics, I just watch healthbars and enemy castbars. The exception are the mechancs (like the ones in Midas) that rely on visual cues rather than castbars.

Yeah, I know, because in FF it's pointless to look at actual mechanics due to your screen not matching what is actually happening in the game, but I've been healing for 8 years now in variety of platforms and this is the only one where watching the mechanics is pointless.

And I shouldn't have to use WTFast to properly play the game. I don't have to use it for any other game.

And, in case you're wondering, this is why I haven't bothered to try to work my schedule around a static. There is no point.

Yeah, I know, because in FF it's pointless to look at actual mechanics due to your screen not matching what is actually happening in the game, but I've been healing for 8 years now in variety of platforms and this is the only one where watching the mechanics is pointless.

And I shouldn't have to use WTFast to properly play the game.  I don't have to use it for any other game.

And, in case you're wondering, this is why I haven't bothered to try to work my schedule around a static.  There is no point.

It is fun though! Though the fights sort of lose their magic once nerfs and gear come. I often see fights in other MMOs as sort of a mad scramble, everyone trying to be the best at their particular role while still doing mechanics.

Raids in FFXIV are almost like a dance, everyone usually has to be doing a certain something at a certain time. It's also what makes it frustrating. Square Enix doesn't help things by making quite a few bosses wipe the raid if a single person dies. When it goes well though It's really satisfying. Though not sure I really want to put forward the time commitment for much longer.

It is fun though! Though the fights sort of lose their magic once nerfs and gear come. I often see fights in other MMOs as sort of a mad scramble, everyone trying to be the best at their particular role while still doing mechanics.

Raids in FFXIV are almost like a dance, everyone usually has to be doing a certain something at a certain time. It's also what makes it frustrating. Square Enix doesn't help things by making quite a few bosses wipe the raid if a single person dies. When it goes well though It's really satisfying. Though not sure I really want to put forward the time commitment for much longer.

Raiding in WoW is also like a dance, where everyone has to be doing a certain something at a certain time. The difference is the combat is smoother, there are no sync issues, and looking at your surroundings is very important.

I actually prefer the raiding in ffxiv, wow got to be far too easy for my personal tastes. The only thing I wish for would be better pvp...

PFFFT, Realm has probably the worst pvp of any mmo I've played. Its a joke.

I was a pvp junkie in WoW for years. Sometimes the withdrawal is real.

-scratches neck-

WoW was much better prior to Cata.

Now we've got: phasing, awkward high-res on low-res textures, random themes being slapped in one place to a point where everything lacks normal uniformity. Honestly, just going in Stormshield reminds me of one of those private server locations where you buy random stuff from over the top looking NPCs and robots.

Oh well, WoW's just a facebook game p much.

WoW had good pvp though, now it's pretty much broken.

WoW was my second MMORPG with my first being Perfect World International (which I don't really count anymore since I only played for about two weeks xD) but it was the first game I've ever rp'd in. It was the birth of my nerdcore, and I appreciate it for what it is. The one thing I miss the most, I think, is the limited instances in the open world? I mean how you can just fly from one end of the planet to the other and see what's going on above and below, like the sunsets and people fighting and running around, and it gives you a sense of just how big Azeroth is. I wish there was more of that in mmos, but I understand how difficult it is to pull that off (I think. It's been explained to me a few times).

I'm actually hoping that Legion does fairly well, if only because I think FFXIV would benefit from having a serious rival to act an incentive to prevent FFXIV's development from stagnating. As much as I love FFXIV and intend to stick with it for the years to come I do find myself wishing the developers were a bit bolder when it comes to developing new forms of content.

Though that may be due to me admittedly being bitter about Diadem not living up to my expectations.

They are different and should not be compared

They are MMO's that share the same demographic and market. That's why they'll always be compared.

I'll prolly echo something that's been said a million times and say WOW sucks now, FF is better etc. Not because bandwagon but because it's just...it's just true in my estimation.

WOW is essentially a poorly balanced pinata farm these days where FF actually has difficulty to the content.

The biggest thing I can point at, really, is for all their attempts at making things 'accessible' in WOW it seems all they really accomplished was still having Mythic content out of the grasp of casuals and way too easy for the hardcore to the point where they have to gate-release bosses by weekly intervals else the dungeon will be farmed by Week 4 of release and WOW isn't exactly known for short patch cycles.

Don't get me started on class balance I could go for days. I'm so thrilled when I see Yoshi jumping on that stuff after a few weeks when you sometimes had to wait EXPANSION cycles in Wow.

Course I also came from the time of raiding where this was a requirement and have rose colored glasses from my floggings:

830px-WoWRaids.png

The biggest thing I can point at' date=' really, is for all their attempts at making things 'accessible' in WOW it seems all they really accomplished was still having Mythic content out of the grasp of casuals and way too easy for the hardcore to the point where they have to gate-release bosses by weekly intervals else the dungeon will be farmed by Week 4 of release and WOW isn't exactly known for short patch cycles. [/quote']

Just wanted to address this. The fights themselves are not "easier" than fights in Vanilla, BC, Wrath, etc. The issue at the moment is that the fights are completely pre-tested by the top tier raiders that will be competing on them. In fact, if you want to have a hope in the world race, you have to pre-test the raids in Alpha, Beta, or the Public Test Realms. Because of this, regardless of how complicated or difficult Blizzard creates the fights to be, it's never going to take as long to down them when all the raiders competing for the #1 spot have already seen the content multiple times and tested it extensively. I'm not sure how you expect the content to last longer than 4 weeks when top end guilds have strategies for each boss fight before the tiers are even released (and often have video footage from multiple sources to supplement what people remember of the fights). And even then, some of these bosses have taken guilds 300-400+ pulls to down. They're just willing to literally raid until the content is cleared.

I actually prefer the raiding in ffxiv, wow got to be far too easy for my personal tastes. The only thing I wish for would be better pvp...

What were you raiding that was easy?

Wrath of the lich king was the last expansion I found actually difficult from a mechanics standpoint. With work these days I dont have the time to raid the way I used to, but when mists of pandaria hit I was sorely disappointed.

Wrath of the lich king was the last expansion I found actually difficult from a mechanics standpoint. With work these days I dont have the time to raid the way I used to, but when mists of pandaria hit I was sorely disappointed.

While I'll give you SoO being weak, I am rather surprised that you found all of the other content "easy" on the highest difficulty settings. Heroic Lei Shen 25 was widely felt to be one of the hardest fights Blizzard has ever done.

While I'll give you SoO being weak, I am rather surprised that you found all of the other content "easy" on the highest difficulty settings.  Heroic Lei Shen 25 was widely felt to be one of the hardest fights Blizzard has ever done.

I was a top tier raider for almost a decade. Lei Shen was difficult yes, but after you do something often enough it stops being...well. As hard as it used to be /shrug.

Like my first post says. There's no real reason to compare the two like how they do in the video. Both games are good and bad in their own right. Preference is a key thing. 

I'd rather much see a FF11 Vs FF14 video honestly. Would make more sense.

Now comes long post I am hiding behind spoiler to those who do not want to hear my senseless rants.

Current Main on World of Warcraft

Ok so my experience from Vanilla in raiding was starting as casual and ended as Semi-hardcore with fun. I can tell you from experience that much of Wow's bosses early on were...pretty much simple like the Alexander bosses in terms of mechanics. As said before, Primals are probably the only real exciting and interesting 'Raids' in FF14 for me especially on EX mode but when the legit 'raid' is too boring on it's normal mode, I see no real reason to do Savage. nicer rewards is one example and maybe a mount, but honestly? I don't really enjoy it. Now the argument can be made that I am a tank...

But even when I tank or DPS i eye everyone and it's really boring. Exceptions i can think of is that water shifting guy and MAYBE turn 8's boss but it's mostly flashy shit to me. Others feel so much like Tank and Spank that dungeon bosses in FF14 pose more unique elements IMHO. Whoever does the bosses in the 4 mans should work on 8 mans.

World of Warcraft (I will not talk about WOD in this case. I will talk about other Xpacs so far) on the other hand has reasons to do raids current content half the time and other things like PVP and even world stuff. MOP in my opinion did world content pretty damn well next to the rest. as 'casual' as the game is, the raiding is also just as fun and rewarding. I hold my Cutting Edge 10 man Garrosh as a trophy. The first Cutting edge i got after like 100+ attempts for a fight that lasts like 12 minutes and what not. One death on 10 man meant you had to reset. After I got it, i felt accomplished and awesome.

If you check my achievements, i may not have any Cutting edge but i am proud of the kills I've done current content or even a patch later. I had fun doing these raids and communicating with the big group of people. Then again, it is harder to get a group but that was some fun! 

You can make the argument that it was years of playing the game but so far i've been turned off from ff14 raiding and the elitist attitude that came from old WoW's community. Shockingly...I found less assholes in WoW pugs (with minor exceptions) and still find some sense of community. but still.

The point I am making in the end is that PVE wise from what I see, FF14 lacks something that blizzard can do. dungeon wise? HELL YEAH I'LL DO FF14 DUNGEONS! They are really great to play even if wow has it's share of fun dungeons. However, that does not mean one is better than the other. It means i love both and wish the PVE was still a bit better in FF14. Who knows? If it is i'd actually probably do some raiding :3 

Old stupid rant over.

The biggest thing I can point at, really, is for all their attempts at making things 'accessible' in WOW it seems all they really accomplished was still having Mythic content out of the grasp of casuals and way too easy for the hardcore to the point where they have to gate-release bosses by weekly intervals else the dungeon will be farmed by Week 4 of release and WOW isn't exactly known for short patch cycles.

Just wanted to address this.  The fights themselves are not "easier" than fights in Vanilla, BC, Wrath, etc.  The issue at the moment is that the fights are completely pre-tested by the top tier raiders that will be competing on them.  In fact, if you want to have a hope in the world race, you have to pre-test the raids in Alpha, Beta, or the Public Test Realms.  Because of this, regardless of how complicated or difficult Blizzard creates the fights to be, it's never going to take as long to down them when all the raiders competing for the #1 spot have already seen the content multiple times and tested it extensively.  I'm not sure how you expect the content to last longer than 4 weeks when top end guilds have strategies for each boss fight before the tiers are even released (and often have video footage from multiple sources to supplement what people remember of the fights).  And even then, some of these bosses have taken guilds 300-400+ pulls to down.  They're just willing to literally raid until the content is cleared.

The great irony here is Blizzard doesn't need a QA department for their raid content because of the raiders willing to do it for free. I have several old friends that did such things and thinking back on it they all thought it was an honor.

So they make this content, have players test it, gate it, and then leave the game alone for 6 months not updating shit. And people keep playing it. :frustrated:

I honestly just abhor the company.

Slightly off-topic commentary alert.

I've mentioned it repeatedly to anyone that asks, but the point that broke the skinner box of WoW for me was right after Pandaria released. With the expansion live and everyone quadruple checking their math and numbers, the prot paladins were mentioning that their threat felt lower than expected compared to other tanks, and that Consecration in specific felt really awful to use after the role-specific changes made to it. Blues would post that internally, prot met all of their internal metrics and that the doing-it-for-free users, primarily their raiders and the theorycrafters, were wrong: Prot was fine, and Consecration was fine. Blizzard continued to parrot this until the patch notes for (either a hotfix or the first LFR patch, it was a couple of years ago now) came in for everyone to see:

Consecration: Damage and Threat increased by 800%.

Yeah, fuck right off with that. It's okay to say "hey, we'll look into this for you" instead of pointing out that everyone was wrong to think that maybe something wasn't tuned correctly. Even SE admitted they overdid it with the fucking moogles.

Disclaimer: I might be misremembering this story, but the 800% increase and the "nope, our numbers are good" stand out in my brain.

Slightly off-topic commentary alert.

I've mentioned it repeatedly to anyone that asks, but the point that broke the skinner box of WoW for me was right after Pandaria released. With the expansion live and everyone quadruple checking their math and numbers, the prot paladins were mentioning that their threat felt lower than expected compared to other tanks, and that Consecration in specific felt really awful to use after the role-specific changes made to it. Blues would post that internally, prot met all of their internal metrics and that the doing-it-for-free users, primarily their raiders and the theorycrafters, were wrong: Prot was fine, and Consecration was fine. Blizzard continued to parrot this until the patch notes for (either a hotfix or the first LFR patch, it was a couple of years ago now) came in for everyone to see:

Consecration: Damage and Threat increased by 800%.

Yeah, fuck right off with that. It's okay to say "hey, we'll look into this for you" instead of pointing out that everyone was wrong to think that maybe something wasn't tuned correctly. Even SE admitted they overdid it with the fucking moogles.

Disclaimer: I might be misremembering this story, but the 800% increase and the "nope, our numbers are good" stand out in my brain.

Oh, they've done that before. Multiple times. See Resto Shaman and the start of Cata. :thumbsup: