Charatcer Origin attemp number two: Seeker of Knowedge and Skill

Okay since my last attempt at an origin was both Mary Suish and clashes with other aspects, I decided to keep her a little more "mundane" (as mundane as one blessed by a goddess and makes decide a common event in her life is), and for this I decided to focus on the parts that were influenced by my gameplay (I said my gameplay is 99% OOC, but that doesn't means that one doesn't influence the other,). And some of those influences are

1. The Ring of Fortitude: The answer of one of the few things in the game that asks what your motivations are. An answer of power, Though whether it is martial, political, monetary or a combination of all 3 I want to keep ambiguous, though the next thing will be a big clue
  2. Trying to get all Jobs to 60 (and Crafting Classes): In other words, a Jack of All Trades, though not as necessarily "Master of All". She aims to master and learn about various Jobs and Arts on her quest for power. Because as of this post all the DoWs at in the mid 30s, the DoMs are at 60 and the DoH are at 53-54, I feel like making her more Magically inclined (To add, the Job she is most skilled at is BLM). And dabbling in the other arts.
  3. The use of Allagan weapons (and the Crimson/Royal gear) as Glamour: This is more for fun, but In relation to the above she would be trying to make Allagan research her forte, seeing it like how some would see a city with similar aesthetics, a futuristic Utopia, only for revelations in the Crystal Tower and later, the Coils and Azys Lla to shatter that image. Despite this, she still thinks the use of Allagan magitech would still benefit the realm and is considering a membership into the Sons of Saint Coinach when she retires from adventuring

Because of what we know about Sharlayan, I think that place would be a good choice for a hometown. But as she lacks the tattoo that seems to mark all Sharayan scholars and because IIRC the Scions (also from Sharlayan, well bar Minfillia) don't recognize her, I think it would be better for her to start on the lower rung of their society. Maybe an apprentice or a "commoner" from the colony in the Hinterlands. What do you think? How would you play a no-name Sharlayan immigrant would work, especially considering the colony an the the inherent assumption that she never crossed paths with the Scions upon meeting Alphinaud and Alisale on the carriage to Ul'Dah?

Iirc The tattoo is specifically for the group The Circle of Knowing? I am fairly sure that it is fine to be a scholar of ancient Allag technology from Sharlayan without the tattoo.

Iirc The tattoo is specifically for the group The Circle of Knowing? I am fairly sure that it is fine to be a scholar of ancient Allag technology from Sharlayan without the tattoo.

Okay, though there also the matter of the Circle (which became the Scions), Leveva, Silvestre, Y'muththre, Matoya, The Sons of Saint Coinach, and pretty much any other Sharlayan not noticing her. And I can't use amnesia as an excuse because I'm not a Legacy player, so I think that starting out as someone relatively unimportant (like the child of two Sons of Saint Coinach's researchers.) and becoming an historian and scholar of Allagan history sometime in her adventuring career would address those issues.

Sorry for the bump but now I have two questions

I'm continuing the Sharlayan angle, and with that in mind I want to know the timeline between the Colony being abandoned and the Calamity.

the 2nd is about the selling point of the game, leveling multiple classes, I want to know if its alright to protray her as a eventual "Master of All" or only truly skilled in a few disciplines (Mainly Magic and Crafting) and a dabbler of the rest?

The tattoo is called the Mark of the Sages and is used to identify Sharlayan graduates of the Studium who've achieved the highest education and mastery of their chosen field of study. Essentially, a Sage is the Sharlayan equivalent of earning one's Doctorate. More info about the tattoo, who all has one (it's not just the Circle of Knowing!), and what some of the chosen fields of study are can be found in this article by the Lore Train: Inked.

The “mark of the sages” is attributed to persons whose knowledge in a given field has been recognized by the Sharlayan scientific community. To bear it is an honor that belongs to the most elite of our scholars.

I'm continuing the Sharlayan angle, and with that in mind I want to know the timeline between the Colony being abandoned and the Calamity.

I actually just did a rather large compilation on Sharlayan lore and the lore behind the abandoned Dravanian colony. It should answer a good many of your questions! ^^

the 2nd is about the selling point of the game, leveling multiple classes, I want to know if its alright to protray her as a eventual "Master of All" or only truly skilled in a few disciplines (Mainly Magic and Crafting) and a dabbler of the rest?

This is a bit up in the air and varies from person to person. There are some who believe it's okay to learn multiple professions over time, but most people (judging from a good many past threads and discussions on the topic) seem to consider it power-gaming or mary sue-ish to have a character who knows how to do everything. Especially when we get in to the Jobs territory, many of which are incredibly rare, forgotten, forbidden. Where does your character have time to practice all of these professions? Where did they pick them all up, especially some of the Eorzean specific ones, many of which would require certain backstory elements? Very often these 'masters of all' type characters tend to only be in their late teens or early twenties and suspension of disbelief starts becoming difficult to swallow.

The consensus seems to be that at most, most characters would be proficient in 1-3 jobs or classes, the range varying mostly on how related those jobs were. A character could learn more, especially over time or through actual roleplay interactions, but then upkeep of skills starts coming into effect to balance it. This also brings in your character being or not being associated with the guilds or using a different weapon or an array of weapons. A gladiator, for example, might be proficient in sword, lances, and axes even though they've never had training at the lancer's guild or even been to Limsa. I find more roleplayers find this separation between guild training and weapon usage to be easier to swallow.

Using my own character as an example, a former gladiator and current Knight of the Barracuda. She was raised in Ala Mhigo, and thus grew up learning how to use a lance, though she's not very good with it and hasn't really used one since her teens. She learned to use a sword and shield as a gladiator during her years in the Coliseum. When she joined the Knights of the Barracuda in Limsa, one of the requirements is knowing how to fire a musket. This accounts for her using the Machinist job, but ICly not being a Machinist or using machinist technology.

More lore on the various Classes and Jobs can be found in this compilation post.

Hope that helps! ^^

Technically the lore suggests that some people's Echo grants them the ability to learn more quickly, and to learn multiple disciplines. One of these people is the Warrior of Light, who is able to master most - if not all - disciplines of War, Magic, the Hand, and the Land.

However:

I feel like most people agree that that's a lore fudge to excuse the game mechanics of people mastering every class on one character. If you're interested in gaining people's approval in RP, I would advise caution.

Most of the time, in most RP, people will be put-out if you say your character is a master in every field. Like, their character has spent her whole life studying to be X, and your character is just as good as her or better... and better at Y than her friend, who has also spent his whole life studying Y... and better at Z than his friend, who has spent their whole life studying Z? It feels unfair. Especially when you're talking about, like, twelve different disciplines.

It's best to pick one or two, three tops, that your character best at, and say they're dabbling in the rest. It can be fun to roleplay learning from others! I would leave your character room to learn from other people's. Having her begin as a master at everything to begin with does not do this.

And even in stories (rather than interactive RP), people relate more to characters that try and fail than to characters who succeed at everything. Decide what you want your character to do with their life; what do you want people to think of them as? Then pick their skills to bring that idea across.

The tattoo is called the Mark of the Sages and is used to identify Sharlayan graduates of the Studium who've achieved the highest education and mastery of their chosen field of study. Essentially, a Sage is the Sharlayan equivalent of earning one's Doctorate. More info about the tattoo, who all has one (it's not just the Circle of Knowing!), and what some of the chosen fields of study are can be found in this article by the Lore Train: Inked.

The “mark of the sages” is attributed to persons whose knowledge in a given field has been recognized by the Sharlayan scientific community. To bear it is an honor that belongs to the most elite of our scholars.

I actually just did a rather large compilation on Sharlayan lore and the lore behind the abandoned Dravanian colony. It should answer a good many of your questions! ^^

This is a bit up in the air and varies from person to person. There are some who believe it's okay to learn multiple professions over time, but most people (judging from a good many past threads and discussions on the topic) seem to consider it power-gaming or mary sue-ish to have a character who knows how to do everything. Especially when we get in to the Jobs territory, many of which are incredibly rare, forgotten, forbidden. Where does your character have time to practice all of these professions? Where did they pick them all up, especially some of the Eorzean specific ones, many of which would require certain backstory elements? Very often these 'masters of all' type characters tend to only be in their late teens or early twenties and suspension of disbelief starts becoming difficult to swallow.

The consensus seems to be that at most, most characters would be proficient in 1-3 jobs or classes, the range varying mostly on how related those jobs were. A character could learn more, especially over time or through actual roleplay interactions, but then upkeep of skills starts coming into effect to balance it. This also brings in your character being or not being associated with the guilds or using a different weapon or an array of weapons. A gladiator, for example, might be proficient in sword, lances, and axes even though they've never had training at the lancer's guild or even been to Limsa. I find more roleplayers find this separation between guild training and weapon usage to be easier to swallow.

Using my own character as an example, a former gladiator and current Knight of the Barracuda. She was raised in Ala Mhigo, and thus grew up learning how to use a lance, though she's not very good with it and hasn't really used one since her teens. She learned to use a sword and shield as a gladiator during her years in the Coliseum. When she joined the Knights of the Barracuda in Limsa, one of the requirements is knowing how to fire a musket. This accounts for her using the Machinist job, but ICly not being a Machinist or using machinist technology.

More lore on the various Classes and Jobs can be found in this compilation post.

Hope that helps! ^^

So having Aurora take to studying after leaving Sharayan is the better option then? As for the links I'll check them out, thanks and. I already put dabbling down so I'll go with the Dabbling/Learning the Jobs over time route, Something that seems to take years even with the Echo right?

Technically the lore suggests that some people's Echo grants them the ability to learn more quickly, and to learn multiple disciplines. One of these people is the Warrior of Light, who is able to master most - if not all - disciplines of War, Magic, the Hand, and the Land.

However:

I feel like most people agree that that's a lore fudge to excuse the game mechanics of people mastering every class on one character. If you're interested in gaining people's approval in RP, I would advise caution.

Most of the time, in most RP, people will be put-out if you say your character is a master in every field. Like, their character has spent her whole life studying to be X, and your character is just as good as her or better... and better at Y than her friend, who has also spent his whole life studying Y... and better at Z than his friend, who has spent their whole life studying Z? It feels unfair. Especially when you're talking about, like, twelve different disciplines.

It's best to pick one or two, three tops, that your character best at, and say they're dabbling in the rest. It can be fun to roleplay learning from others! I would leave your character room to learn from other people's. Having her begin as a master at everything to begin with does not do this.

And even in stories (rather than interactive RP), people relate more to characters that try and fail than to characters who succeed at everything. Decide what you want your character to do with their life; what do you want people to think of them as? Then pick their skills to bring that idea across.

Agreed I already picked BLM and AST with either GSM or WHM as a possible third. Her goals are learning about all the Disciplines of War and Magic both in a bid of power and to learn their strengths and weaknesses, and then using that knowledge so to her advantage when she returns to Sharlayan in a bit of removing the Bilbiothecs from power. As most of this started in Heavensward, I'm gonna start with her being a BLM first then learning AST during the events and then taking years to learn the rest (So a very wide gap between 3.0 and subsequent expansions). Is that okay?

Alternately I can look into any details on exactly when Bahamut's rampage or 1.0 took place and if the gap is longer than 5 summers (the exodus was in 1562 of the sixth astral era), I'll adjust her age and learning time-frame accordingly . Might wind up doing both.