A Hydaelyn Roleplayer Podcast?

Okay so i came back from Connecticon and after attending a panel and learning some neat things about the technical aspect of podcasting (spoiler: cheap mic for $50 and simple programs=medium quality :D) got me thinking....

What if we were to start a sort of Final Fantasy Podcast for the community. Not just Balmung but anyone playing FF14 or even FF11? Well let me pitch this first (I plan to buy a mic for practice)

The show would have 2-3 hosts. We get a mix of people who know how about what and opinions.

The group can talk about not just the MMOs but other games, fan theories, ideas, old game stuff and even SE IPs now and then. But the 40% of the time it will be about FF14 and both it's game and RP aspects.

We could also do RP shoutouts for other servers later on when more listen, get more involved with a lore reading segment...

If you get where i am going with this, In a nutshell: A Fan podcast for FF14 in many ways.

Of course this is still in the rough planning stages and I don't mind doing the work to putting the podcast together/getting it on Itunes and what not. But It's really difficult to make a one person show. It's far more fun and meaningful with more heads from different fields.

---

The purpose of the thread is to hear people's opinions, what they think about it and if they have better ideas to adjust. Personally in terms of FF14, I do not enjoy PVE or PVP content and for the sake of the Podcast I will stick to what i know best.

So let me hear what you got, please. Ask questions as well if you feel like i missed something.

I know there are a couple of (probably a lot more, really, but I only know of a few) FFXIV-centric podcasts so there's certainly a market for it. It's been talked about here a couple of times of trying to get a roleplayer version up but nothing ever came of them.

I think it might be good to test drive and see if people are receptive to it; If the hosts are entertaining and the material good, I think people would be plenty open to it.

Like Warren said, a good test drive first and getting a feel for things would be the best start. I was part of one attempt to do just that, but getting people on and actually /doing/ the podcast is another matter. My only advice coming from that experience is to just get those who want to do it, keep it small and make it happen. Otherwise it can get bogged down quick and lose steam. If you have any other questions I still have some of the materials I'd be happy to pass on.

I have the first draft of my voice and a sample intro. It's not long and i will most likely make longer tests sooner or later once I get use to the Snowball.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1tIR9KQ5uVF

PLZ do not judge mah squeaky voice D:

You don't have a bad voice for the job, but you're waaay too quiet. You could just up the gain in post if you wanted, but you'll run into problems with clarity pretty fast, turning up all your background noise along with you. Luckily, there are ways to fix it.

First, make sure you're talking directly into that microphone. It shouldn't be on your mouth, just pretty close. If your voice ends up coming through better than any of your background noise does, that'll leave enough of a dynamic range that you can reduce noise easily in post (a la noise gate or whatever).

If I were you, though, I'd do my very best to get rid of it entirely. You'll need a pop filter, a whole lot of soft materials, and a look at this:

GOOD LUCK!

I have the first draft of my voice and a sample intro. It's not long and i will most likely make longer tests sooner or later once I get use to the Snowball.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1tIR9KQ5uVF

PLZ do not judge mah squeaky voice D:

You don't have a bad voice for the job, but you're waaay too quiet. You could just up the gain in post if you wanted, but you'll run into problems with clarity pretty fast, turning up all your background noise along with you. Luckily, there are ways to fix it.

First, make sure you're talking directly into that microphone. It shouldn't be on your mouth, just pretty close. If your voice ends up coming through better than any of your background noise does, that'll leave enough of a dynamic range that you can reduce noise easily in post (a la noise gate or whatever).

If I were you, though, I'd do my very best to get rid of it entirely. You'll need a pop filter, a whole lot of soft materials, and a look at this:

GOOD LUCK!

Way ahead of you with the setup. Plus i had only computer noise running. My laptop is far too loud to record.

4vbsHpe.jpg

I'm still testing and trying out how to make it work since I don't want to be upfront and in it's face. but that was the sound of me from my chair. obviously ill be louder with it closer lol.

i just need to find a comfortable position is all.