Roleplayers and Servers

I was sitting back talking to an RP buddy of mine on Balmung, when I had a thought came to mind. Most people end up paying 18 dollars to move to Balmung. People on Balmung make characters off server to eventually move to Balmung.

Those that sit on high-mid populated servers, try to make rp there, such as we are seeing with Jenova and Behemoth-- which is cool to see. Gilgamesh has become like Balmung that is-- way to populated to get rp.

So, the thought I had was... why does no one try to get a group of roleplayers together and maybe make a third run off server on a low pop server. A location that doesn't really have anyone, and the RP community help booster its numbers to become not so, well, low pop.

I mean, there are thousands of us, and there are a few servers that have nearly no population, because people transferring to be with "friends" or the "safe" place they know. I mean, I know it will probably never happen and while I'd be very willing to help make an alt to help /make/ this happen... I doubt any would ever be interested, but again, its food for thought.

Because the server I would help bolster numbers, would be say like-- Mateus, which is on the same data server as Balmung and makes it really easy to swap "alts" because you don't ever have to go back to the main menu screen, just swap worlds.

Lots of people try to do this, and basically the usual downfall is:

This takes a TONNE of work.

It's not as simple as "deciding which server to go on". You have to advertise, constantly, across multiple servers, persuade people to reroll or transfer, make something worth doing that for, and then keep making it happen. Keep showing up. Keep making it active. Keep working. Keep advertising. Keep making things that people want to join in with. Every week, every day, forever.

It's like running a free company (something else people underestimate), EX version.

For right now, if you're wanting to branch away from Balmung, I'd recommend checking out what the guys are doing on Jenova. They've already laid a lot of the foundation and they advertise fairly regularly to non-transfers on the RPC. I'd suggest adding your voice to theirs would be more effective than essentially splitting the small RP scene across yet another realm (people have tried to do this on Faerie, Siren...)

why does no one try to get a group of roleplayers together and maybe make a third run off server on a low pop server.

This question has been asked multiple times by various people throughout my time on the RPC. It inevitably usually ends up with people either making a small community on a particular server for a time until:

1. The other players on that server start to attack the RPers because "Balmung is the RP server"
  2. The groups on that server only RP in private and it becomes increasingly hard for someone to find RP happening
  3. The RP on that server fizzles out due to lack of interest and/or people moving to Balmung
  4. They never contact the RPC and we don't know about them or their RP

People have tried. It doesn't work. Balmung is a big community and strange as it is to say, bigger RP communities are easier to keep afloat. Tiny communities get very incestuous and just like small towns drama and rumors flourish because it's near impossible to avoid the people you dislike and everyone knows everyone, you face more trolls, and ultimately people will want a variety of active RPers online to RP with at all times and would rather go where that already is than have the patience to try to create that environment when it will likely fail anyway.

People have tried. It doesn't work. Balmung is a big community and strange as it is to say, bigger RP communities are easier to keep afloat. Tiny communities get very incestuous and just like small towns drama and rumors flourish because it's near impossible to avoid the people you dislike and everyone knows everyone, you face more trolls, and ultimately people will want a variety of active RPers online to RP with at all times and would rather go where that already is than have the patience to try to create that environment when it will likely fail anyway.

That's totally why so many of us from 1.0 were at each other's throats while we waited for 2.0.. xD

Some good points were made here, but it was an idle suggest. I also know about Jenova and I do have a character on the sever, though struggling to decide what I want to do with him exactly. Heck, if not for a particular person here on the RPC looking for more individuals for their project on Balmung-- I'd probably not have come back. xD

But yes-- I remember the adventures of 1.0 and its small community. I also remember some... very... unfortunate drama, but for me. I am use to small communities of roleplayers, given I tend to be on MUSHes that have about 20-40 people, who all kinda rotate around the same inner-circle, and that to can... Have some interesting unwanted drama unfold. -__-;; So, I get that.

Thank you guys for your voices however.

• 2 weeks later...