Bad Dice Days

Ari Kagon

Just had an insanely fun RP session where I got the ever loving Sugar Honey Iced Tea beat out of my character due to bad dice rolls. 

This pretty much summed up the luck (or lack of) I was having. 

IIbDjpm.png

How would you describe your biggest defeat (or biggest victory) at the hands of RNG??

I once rolled that well that Virella blew everything and everyone around her. I even got permission to kill someone's char she wanted dead, but I didn't do it for OOC reasons. Still that RP was a blast.

Biggest fail? I guess everytime Franz managed to outplay Ave due to RNG. I don't mind it though, its hilarious to see her mad.

Or the one time Avelyn managed to piss of Tristram and RNGesus saw it fit to have Tris win the Grindstone due to it :l

I once rolled that well that Virella blew everything and everyone around her. I even got permission to kill someone's char she wanted dead, but I didn't do it for OOC reasons. Still that RP was a blast.

Biggest fail? I guess everytime Franz managed to outplay Ave due to RNG. I don't mind it though, its hilarious to see her mad.

Or the one time Avelyn managed to piss of Tristram and RNGesus saw it fit to have Tris win the Grindstone due to it :l

I figured it would be RNGesus saying 'VI MUST BE PREGGERS'. That in itself was great when that roll occurred and the reasoning of 'praying to halone' was the means that she figured she wouldn't get knocked up. Great birth control there, lady.

I figured it would be RNGesus saying 'VI MUST BE PREGGERS'. That in itself was great when that roll occurred and the reasoning of 'praying to halone' was the means that she figured she wouldn't get knocked up. Great birth control there, lady.

Don't question the prayers, they worked for a month or so LOL

Vi is special okay

There have been at least three occasions where I designed a boss that I thought would be a tough fight for the players and considered easing up on them.

Every single time they curbstomped the poor thing and walked away from it thinking it wasn't a threat in the slightest. This goes all the way back to my very first Fate-14 plot Scales, where the group killed an aevis so quickly they had to sit around and wait for the other group involved in the plot to finish up for like an hour.

At this point I have given up on trying to create a tough challenge and just make things that can hurt players in odd ways to throw them off.

Duo event for a personal plot, scripted ending. For the first half - a dangerous aerial battle where my character is learning as he goes, because he's rarely flown before let alone done combat tricks from the back of a chocobo while several hundred fulms in the air... aaaaand we inexplicably don't get a single roll below about 700. Most of them are above the 800 threshold we consider a crit success. It's weird but we go with it.

Second half of the fight - we land and it's supposed to be a 1-on-1 duel to the death between my character and the enemy. This is his comfort zone, this is something he's been trained to do since he was a baby...

...not a single damn roll above 300, with 200 being a crit fail.

His ~teacher had to step in and help him to stop him from, um, dying.

We had to actually ditch rolls to ensure the scripted ending happened as it was supposed to. >_> My character almost died from his injuries afterwards and spent 4 weeks IRL time in recovery afterwards. At least it was suitably dramatic!

I frequently have bad rolls. Or, perhaps to be more precise, I like to think I do. But it could just be confirmation bias - I remember all the incidents where I've rolled poorly far more than the times I've rolled well. The losses stick in the mind more than the wins - heck, Chachan's won the Grindstone once and made it to the semi-finals the first day I brought him back for a little combat-related plot with him. I just "feel" like my characters should do "better" and getting rudged out early on due to bad rolls - or the other person rolling hot - bothers me more than I like to admit.

Still, I'm working on it and - oddly enough - it's one of my characters and his bad rolls that's helping with that. Specifically, it's Judge. Since his inception I've kinda wanted to imply that he's an authority figure and not one to really be messed with and I did a lot of asking around about how to get people to respect him and whatnot. However, every dice-rolling fight he's been in he's lost - like, every single one. And yet, people still respect him despite that, and several still think he's intimidating and threatening. And seeing somewhat similar situations with Hammersmith help solidify that it's the presentation of your character that matters far more than how lucky you are at dice rolls.

... That said, I still get probably unreasonably miffed if I get completely shut out (3-0 losses at the Grindstone, for example) or if I go several weeks losing in the first round. Fortunately, though, it's still better than when I'd get upset at losses in general before later realizing that my character still put up a good fight. Again, it was Judge and several of his 3-2 losses helping with that. A work in progress, I suppose.