A few questions to those who made it into the beta testing for A Realm Reborn

Now, this only applies of course if there isnt an NDA, id never ask someone to breech that. I havent had time to get in myself despite getting an invite probably from being a past subscriber to the original due to picking up a new job in march thats kept my gaming backlogged a little bit when I spend my weekends with the gf gaming and movie watching lol.

So what I was wondering is that for those who played the original, is the overall gameplay/combat and everything still very similar or are there really noticable tweaks and changes?

Also, one of the job types i used often while adventuring previously was gladiator on account of it being able to use swords(when I didnt mix in a bit of dark magic or hand2hand abilities) but i remembered there werent 2handed swords so i opted out of using a shield(not a shield fan lol) Have their added greatswords or will I still just rely on my trusty single blade?

Heya! I didn't play the original 1.0 so I can only answer what I know that isn't covered by the NDA, specifically about greatswords.

Quoting from the Letter From the Producer Live Part VI:

Q6: Are you planning to implement great swords?

A6: We would like to introduce great swords when we implement a new class or job that can use it.

So, my best guess is that they won't be out at launch, and probably won't be for gladiator, but more likely a class that will come with an expansion (Dark Knight or something similar, much likely). Hope that helps!

ARR's battle system was rebuilt from the ground up, as they've stated. :) None of us can really say anymore, I encourage you to play it when you are able during the next phase!

To be honest, it would be best to wait until beta phase 3 in June to look at the combat system. The alpha footage I remember seeing that involved a lancer is a bit out of date, and I cannot say what combat was like during the beta phase 2 with the NDA in effect. The combat system will be available in its entirety (or almost its entirety if they decide to do some other tweaks) during beta phase 3, which is when the NDA will be lifted in its entirety.

Id never ask someone to break NDA in any form so no worries. I'm under NDA for something else as well so i know how that goes.

I dont know why i'm remotely bothered by not having had a chance to poke in during the betas. I know for a fact im subbing this up for at least a month or 2 to see how things feel when its back up live again lol.

Im just anticipating reverting back to day 1 noob mode as i relearn essentially everything from scratch on my character and then the joys of shuffling through all my items and inventory:dazed:

If you have a beta invite you should have access to the beta forums. You can ask questions there without fear of breaking the NDA.

Listen to this girl, she smrt.

(I totally forgot about that..)

I have beta access, how do I gain access to the forum? 

Edit: lol, so not thinking straight. I think it's about time I go to bed. For a moment I thought you were talking about a beta forum here on the ffxiv-roleplayers.com.

I can neither confirm or deny the existence of an RPC Beta Forum. Please move along. 8-)

But yes, I meant the official beta forums. They're probably a little dead right now because there hasn't been a beta going on for a while, but I'm sure there's some people sticking around.

I have beta access, how do I gain access to the forum? 

Edit: lol, so not thinking straight. I think it's about time I go to bed. For a moment I thought you were talking about a beta forum here on the ffxiv-roleplayers.com.

I can neither confirm or deny the existence of an RPC Beta Forum. Please move along. 8-)

But yes, I meant the official beta forums. They're probably a little dead right now because there hasn't been a beta going on for a while, but I'm sure there's some people sticking around.

Ah I hadnt realized that. I will have to try and look into that.

As long as i can retain what little progress I made on my character and at least mots of my stored items I think I'll be ok(That and being able to stick with where the bulk of the community here plans to call home server wise)

Appreciate the replies though, folks here as as helpful as I remembered

More like them damn trolls sticking around.

Anyway, as Aysun said; the battle system was completely remade from the ground up. Can't specify on any details. But suffice it to say, it's a completely different game.

I can't remember where I got this from but I think they said that the NDA will still be in effect during phase 3, just some aspects of the NDA will be lifted.

Beta testers as of this time now, can only discuss character creation, and Gridania.

Nothing that wasn't made obvious by Yoshi in the newest Live letter.