The RPC and the RP Server

Kylin

If it really is a big as issue as everyone is making it to be, why doesn't everyone who wants to RP just start on a new server, including legacy players. Pretty sure that would break down any 'walls' that are being theorized :P

I'm trying to understand why the very people who want to move to a new server because (as I understand it) they don't want to waste their effort competing against an already established economy and/or endgame community, would then turn around and ask everyone else to throw away all the effort they put into their character and start over again.

I've seen this several times now, and it makes less sense every time. :(

(I hope this is not a double post.. still not super familiar with this forum layout.. !)

I think you answered your very own question there. The fact of the matter is, we're not asking anyone to do anything really.. it's us who are being asked to join a specific server instead of establishing ourselves in a new world. 

Depending on what side of the argument you're sitting on, you can use either train of thought to defend yourself.. It's sort of why I kicked my own statement in my post following about not totally being serious. The chances of talking my group of friends into joining a legacy server has about a 99% failure rate. If we begin to talk numbers (and this is me assuming again, I know I really shouldn't) won't the influx of people be the majority over the established group that has been here for a while? If you really did want to see the RP community flourish wouldn't you do anything in your power to see it grow in the best way possible? 

The real shame would be if there was no official non-legacy server announced by Yoshi and as such, the non-legacy server wouldn't be totally backed by this established community and the two communities would therefore be split down the middle.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it really is a big as issue as everyone is making it to be, why doesn't everyone who wants to RP just start on a new server, including legacy players. Pretty sure that would break down any 'walls' that are being theorized :P

On to a more serious matter though; why July 1st? We have about a week left and I doubt any kind of side announcement such as an official-unofficial RP server is going to be pushed to the top of Yoshi's things-to-do list. With open beta probably not starting until early August I would suggest moving that poll to around then. It's not like anyone is going to be RPing while testing in the beta is going on and we're just twiddling our thumbs outside of the game.

Just my two cents. ~

That's the thing. It doesn't seem to be a big issue. One person has made it sound like it will be, and everyone responding to it has made it sound bigger than it really is.

And how would everyone leaving the server help? It forces Legacy players to start over, and keeps any loyal people to the alleged linkshells that don't necessarily agree, but have friends there and would like to stay, from getting to RP with the rest of the community.

But maybe I'm just selfish wanting all the RPers together :P So I have a larger community to be with. I still maintain that people should give a Balmung a shot, before declaring it a "cool kids" clique club of 1.0 RPers vs ARR RPers. Since I have seen no evidence that seems to be the case. The one linkshell that has been mentioned, was last edited in -April-. And I'd like to point out the last line of that recruitment message.

Crystalline

In spite of our temporary recruitment hold, most of us are still eager to carry on with role-play with anybody from the greater RP community!

There is twenty-three linkshell posts (Unless I miss counted) and only one says they are not accepting new members. And the one, as I quoted above, is eager to RP with the greater RP community (Or most of the members). :)

Crow has a good point though, why the 1st of July? Since everybody seemed to not read what Crow mentioned, why not just wait until they announce it or put it in the open beta about what servers are gonna be official rp servers instead of just waiting and then suddenly, "NO ANNOUNCEMENT STILL?! Fawk Yoshi-p we're going to make Balmung our official server?"

Why not just go to Balmung, wait until the game ACTUALLY comes out then if they do an official server and it's NOT Balmung, just stay on Balmung or move to the official server they created? If that even makes sense, and I hope it doesn't sound mean.

And besides, no matter HOW high everyone is right now, their characters are most likely going to be wiped before Open Beta or before the game is officially out anyone which means, EVERYONE is going to have to start over regardless.

Furthermore and I'm probably just ranted now and I STILL hope this doesn't sound like I'm being mean or being stubborn or being high and mighty or whatever it is you guys want to call it, WHY are we even FUSSING about this when NOBODY knows for SURE yet? Yeah there are beta rp events going on and SOME people don't even HAVE beta so SOME people can't even come, so why is this making people all "what if-y about everything now anyways?

:frustrated:

I think we're strictly talking about the FF14 1.0 characters that will be transferred to the legacy servers.. People won't be losing much O.o

That's the thing. It doesn't seem to be a big issue. One person has made it sound like it will be, and everyone responding to it has made it sound bigger than it really is.

And how would everyone leaving the server help? It forces Legacy players to start over, and keeps any loyal people to the alleged linkshells that don't necessarily agree, but have friends there and would like to stay, from getting to RP with the rest of the community.

But maybe I'm just selfish wanting all the RPers together :P So I have a larger community to be with. I still maintain that people should give a Balmung a shot, before declaring it a "cool kids" clique club of 1.0 RPers vs ARR RPers. Since I have seen no evidence that seems to be the case. The one linkshell that has been mentioned, was last edited in -April-. And I'd like to point out the last line of that recruitment message.

Crystalline

In spite of our temporary recruitment hold, most of us are still eager to carry on with role-play with anybody from the greater RP community!

There is twenty-three linkshell posts (Unless I miss counted) and only one says they are not accepting new members. And the one, as I quoted above, is eager to RP with the greater RP community (Or most of the members). :)

Gonna go off topic a bit to shed light on one of the technical standpoints here.. why is the term linkshell being brought up so often and spoken so highly of? Isn't it just a group-chat system? Did it have a greater purpose in 1.0?

I just want to put in my two cents on the matter~

I'm a very new addition to the FFXIV RP community. I didn't so much as glance at 1.0, despite being an FFXI vet. So, it goes without saying that I was not in some of the earlier betas. When Rakka'li and I toyed around with creating characters together, I thought that I might try out ARR eventually--but I didn't imagine I'd get terribly sucked in. During the character development process, my desire to test out ARR grew, and I came across a stroke of luck. The founder of the legion I once ran in Aion, and my co-administrator on ArcheAgeRoleplay, was once a very active member of the FFXIV RPC, who no longer held any interest for the game. He was kind enough to gift me with his beta invite code, with which I created a new account to participate in Phase 3 of the beta test.

My first time touching ARR was last week. I came in to it totally green. I could barely figure out what keys to use to open key menus, like character information, inventory, skills, etc. More or less, I figured a lot of this out on my own, but for some of the more complex matters regarding both lore and gameplay, I turned to the RPC. I am in two linkshells, and frequently on the Skype chat. For me, the RPC has been nothing short of helpful and inclusive. Rarely have I felt like I fit in to an already established community before. It has been a wonderful experience.

So, my advice to those who want to avoid legacy players is this:

Don't.

I know it's frustrating sometimes to feel left behind, but the RPC doesn't let you feel that way in-game. While legacy characters have yet to be thrown in to the mix with non-legacy characters, the attitudes of the people behind both new and old characters is positive and helpful. Many of the people I've spoken with who do have legacy characters are also intending on starting new mains, or leveling new classes fromt he ground up, which puts them in almost the same boat as those of us who are brand new.

I personally feel that avoiding the legacy players is akin to sitting on the edge of a branch belonging to a deeply rooted tree, and cutting off the part you're perched on. If you worry too much about how much "better" other players are than you at the begining, you're falling victim to your pride and you're depriving yourself of a valuable resource. I have not once come across a player who would rather leave new players in the dust and tout their superior status than they would like to give them a hand up and integrate them in to the game that they all want to see thrive and succeed. I'm sure people like this exist, but wherever they are, I have yet to see them--and I can't see many of the active vets here getting along with such a person.

That's all I got for ya, RPC. ^^

Oooooh, *blink blinks* Ooops, sorry guys. I feel dumb now. Just... ignore me. Eheh :blush:

I'm just gonna go over here, in the corner.... *wanders off and hides*

But, I still don't get it thoughs, I mean... I already feel dumb cause I jumped to conclusions I think, so sorry again everybody. XS But, I don't get it. Why would someone not want to be with experienced people if they never RPed in this setting before? I mean I saw the explanations and it makes sense I guess but still, I would LOVE to be with them so they could at least help me.

If your friends don't wanna RP on the server with legacy people and wanna try to get used to it themselves and you wanna RP with the experienced peoples, you could make another character to use with your friends only and a character to use with the experienced people. *nod nods*

Gonna go off topic a bit to shed light on one of the technical standpoints here.. why is the term linkshell being brought up so often and spoken so highly of? Isn't it just a group-chat system? Did it have a greater purpose in 1.0?

That, I do not know. I did not play 1.0 for very long at all. I do know the limited time I played, I created a linkshell just for my friends, and join a friend's linkshell. I do not know how they effected the RPC. 

All I know is the only complaint I've understood, has been "Legacy linkshells won't accept ARR players, and be ignored (Unintentionally)." I can relate to that from other MMO's, really, but this game seems brand new to me this time around (If that makes sense xD) and that everyone on these forums have seemed helpful, nice, and actually quite excited for an increased Roleplay community.

And small Edit: It's important to put out that the FFXIV 1.0 was considered really bad. So only true fans or people who found some masochist pleasure from playing were left. That doesn't leave a very large population. So I'd imagine the RPC is very eager for this "revival" and increase of RP player base.

I just want to put in my two cents on the matter~

I'm a very new addition to the FFXIV RP community. I didn't so much as glance at 1.0, despite being an FFXI vet. So, it goes without saying that I was not in some of the earlier betas. When Rakka'li and I toyed around with creating characters together, I thought that I might try out ARR eventually--but I didn't imagine I'd get terribly sucked in. During the character development process, my desire to test out ARR grew, and I came across a stroke of luck. The founder of the legion I once ran in Aion, and my co-administrator on ArcheAgeRoleplay, was once a very active member of the FFXIV RPC, who no longer held any interest for the game. He was kind enough to gift me with his beta invite code, with which I created a new account to participate in Phase 3 of the beta test.

My first time touching ARR was last week. I came in to it totally green. I could barely figure out what keys to use to open key menus, like character information, inventory, skills, etc. More or less, I figured a lot of this out on my own, but for some of the more complex matters regarding both lore and gameplay, I turned to the RPC. I am in two linkshells, and frequently on the Skype chat. For me, the RPC has been nothing short of helpful and inclusive. Rarely have I felt like I fit in to an already established community before. It has been a wonderful experience.

So, my advice to those who want to avoid legacy players is this:

Don't.

I know it's frustrating sometimes to feel left behind, but the RPC doesn't let you feel that way in-game. While legacy characters have yet to be thrown in to the mix with non-legacy characters, the attitudes of the people behind both new and old characters is positive and helpful. Many of the people I've spoken with who do have legacy characters are also intending on starting new mains, or leveling new classes fromt he ground up, which puts them in almost the same boat as those of us who are brand new.

I personally feel that avoiding the legacy players is akin to sitting on the edge of a branch belonging to a deeply rooted tree, and cutting off the part you're perched on. If you worry too much about how much "better" other players are than you at the begining, you're falling victim to your pride and you're depriving yourself of a valuable resource. I have not once come across a player who would rather leave new players in the dust and tout their superior status than they would like to give them a hand up and integrate them in to the game that they all want to see thrive and succeed. I'm sure people like this exist, but wherever they are, I have yet to see them--and I can't see many of the active vets here getting along with such a person.

That's all I got for ya, RPC. ^^

Well written post! I totally get what you're saying, so let me make this perfectly clear before anyone misunderstands any of my standpoints from here on out.

I have complete faith that the 1.0 RP community is a fair and a good-driven group of people. From what I've already seen/read I can tell that we would(have?) gotten along greatly. 

With that out of the way I want blatantly say that the reason I won't be able to convince my group of friends who are starting FF14 is because they want to start completely new, both in RP and in the game-side of things, with nothing established on the technical side of things. 

The first chapter of a blank book, pen in hand!

I don't know how many friends you have, so don't be insulted if this is too few! But why would you only want to write a book with ten characters, instead of a book of ten characters who have the chance to meet 20 more protagonist and 5 more antagonists? Why can't the two books combine and make one super book, just your chapter introduces them from your point of view, not there prior history's point of view? ^^

I don't know how many friends you have, so don't be insulted if this is too few! But why would you only want to write a book with ten characters, instead of a book of ten characters who have the chance to meet 20 more protagonist and 5 more antagonists? Why can't the two books combine and make one super book, just your chapter introduces them from your point of view, not there prior history's point of view? ^^

No, you're correct in saying that it's just a handful! My friends are also very open-minded people.. but if you're going be throwing out some numbers, my bet is that the influx of new people is going to be greater than the established community. 1.0 was not very popular, I can't imagine the returning crowd over shadowing the hundreds of thousands of people who are coming in. (The closed-beta had about 700,000 people..)

It's true there are things like lore we might need to get familiar with, but other than that we know our way around Roleplay.. and after coming from the Tera RP community, I just want to be in the place with the most people.

If we begin to talk numbers (and this is me assuming again' date=' I know I really shouldn't) won't the influx of people be the majority over the established group that has been here for a while? If you really did want to see the RP community flourish wouldn't you do anything in your power to see it grow in the best way possible? [/quote']

Actually from what we've seen, most of the newcomers to the RPC seem fine with rolling on Balmung, so I don't think it's really a matter of new players vs legacy players, but a matter of whether or not the people who want to roll on a new server outnumber the people who want to roll on Balmung.

And yes, we do want to do anything in our power to help the community grow and flourish, but attempting to force everyone to abandon their 1.0 characters would utterly destroy this community. Besides, after some time, there will no longer be any functional difference between joining a new server or a legacy server.

A linkshell isn't anything particularly special in-game, no, but we call the separate RP groups here linkshells because generally speaking they all use them as a primary means of speaking to each other in character.

It's true there are things like lore we might need to get familiar with, but other than that we know our way around Roleplay.. and after coming from the Tera RP community, I just want to be in the place with the most people.

Why is anyone comparing FFXIV's community to Tera's community, of all communities? Tera's RP community is the worst I've ever been in, and out of the games I've RP'd in (WoW, TOR, TSW, GW2, Aion, Tera) Tera is the -only- community I couldn't get into. The only game I started with on at launch was Guild Wars 2, and I still made made a place in all of those games but.. Tera. The entire universe's Roleplaying community in any game should never be compared to Tera. Never ever.

Edit: Not a personal attack on you Crow, you're the third person I've seen do it on the forums, and I don't know how many times I saw it in Shout chat on Gilgamesh in Phase 2, first round beta.

If we begin to talk numbers (and this is me assuming again, I know I really shouldn't) won't the influx of people be the majority over the established group that has been here for a while? If you really did want to see the RP community flourish wouldn't you do anything in your power to see it grow in the best way possible? 

Actually from what we've seen, most of the newcomers to the RPC seem fine with rolling on Balmung, so I don't think it's really a matter of new players vs legacy players, but a matter of whether or not the people who want to roll on a new server outnumber the people who want to roll on Balmung.

And yes, we do want to do anything in our power to help the community grow and flourish, but attempting to force everyone to abandon their 1.0 characters would utterly destroy this community. Besides, after some time, there will no longer be any functional difference between joining a new server or a legacy server.

@first bold; this is very true, and unfortunately not something we can accurately measure in time before the actual game releases.. :(

@second bold; that argument could be used for both sides when it comes down to it!

So here's the scenario I'll give you. If you were someone who RP'd and did not know of any established community except that there was a legacy RP server and a non-legacy RP server, which server do you think the new person would join? (knowing that legacy meant people from the 1.0 age)

I will say this; if no official non-legacy RP server is announced the community will most definitely be split.. :(

Why is anyone comparing FFXIV's community to Tera's community, of all communities? Tera's RP community is the worst I've ever been in, and out of the games I've RP'd in (WoW, TOR, TSW, GW2, Aion, Tera) Tera is the -only- community I couldn't get into. The only game I started with on at launch was Guild Wars 2, and I still made made a place in all of those games but.. Tera. The entire universe's Roleplaying community in any game should never be compared to Tera. Never ever.

Edit: Not a personal attack on you Crow, you're the third person I've seen do it on the forums, and I don't know how many times I saw it in Shout chat on Gilgamesh in Phase 2, first round beta.

No offense taken seeing as I agree with you. It's simply the only thing I can compare my RP experience to, as that's where I rekindled my passion to RP. I played Aion for over a year and didn't RP there, and my only other RP inclusion was chat-based back on P2P sharing networks almost 10 years ago. 

Though I will say I'm seeing an eerie correlation when it comes to Elins and the cat-race of this game..

I spent many hours over the week discussing things with old friends on Balmung. We've been hashing out ideas and such. Which is a very positive thing, I got to thinking for awhile with the regional changes Balmung's population of 3 stars might drop substantially with the fact there is EU legacy and Japanese Legacy. So there is a better odds, 50-50 still maybe that the server will not hit full and lock folks out. Keeping that in mind, there is other food for thought here.

Player houses are not instantly out, so you don't have to worry about it. Even players of Legacy aren't going to afford the best houses off the start. There will be roughly a 3 month period I imagine and even then, I doubt this will be an issue. I imagine they will focus on bug fixes and other unforeseen issues at launch before adding new jobs, classes and content.

Think of starting Balmung as a challenge mode, you have a few support lines which is great versus none you might have in a non-legacy but you will be starting with players fully established economically, RP wise, PVE, etc? So I am looking at it more as a challenge from the game standpoint, not so much Rp. Rp might be difficult for some, it'll be a matter of trying to get involved.

While I'm not 100% for starting on Legacy myself, and I'm willing to give up one of my old characters. The argument cannot be won, nor will it. Both sides have validity in their arguments and this is just one of those times, that you have to figure out what you as an individual want. I know that for myself, I have a strong alliance with another FC of friends I was a part of in v1.0 and I have a good group of people aiming to come over for PVE, Raiding and Roleplay. To me, FF14 has a strong capacity of lore and roleplay potential. You have to get used to the chat systems and things, but its better than most MMORPGS. And honestly, I'm up for helping any new player out - I'll probably spend a majority of my early time crafting or level syncing (provided I can get a rename at launch or p4 and change my old char up a bunch).

All in all, you aren't alone in starting a new. And I'm willing to help folks out. Even I have to learn some things myself about the game, as I forgot how teleport changed bit. xD

I too am of the opinion that it would be best to wait till much closer to Phase 4 before voting for a second community server. SE will obviously have to know by then if they plan to provide an official RP sever since phase 4 is (supposedly) not getting wiped and thus should be providing most of the starting servers.

Voting for another server too soon could really confuse things if SE does in fact add an official server.

@second bold; that argument could be used for both sides when it comes down to it!

Possibly, yeah, I don't know that it's a point for either side in this case.

So here's the scenario I'll give you. If you were someone who RP'd and did not know of any established community except that there was a legacy RP server and a non-legacy RP server' date=' which server do you think the new person would join? (knowing that legacy meant people from the 1.0 age)[/quote']

If I were a new player looking to roleplay in game, I'd be inclined to join the server with the most roleplayers on it.

I will say this; if no official non-legacy RP server is announced the community will most definitely be split.. :(

At this point, the community looks like it's going split in some capacity no matter what anyone does. The issue before us now is by how much.

EDIT: As far as the July 1st deadline, I'll be sure to ask Kylin about the reasoning behind it if he doesn't address it by the end of the day.

I too am of the opinion that it would be best to wait till much closer to Phase 4 before voting for a second community server. SE will obviously have to know by then if they plan to provide an official RP sever since phase 4 is (supposedly) not getting wiped and thus should be providing most of the starting servers.

Voting for another server too soon could really confuse things if SE does in fact add an official server.

This I agree with 100%. As we don't know what's really being planned. Not to mention, if they do label one server as an RP server and its not Balmung. What will happen then? There is things to consider and I'm waiting to see how SE plays all this out.

This I agree with 100%. As we don't know what's really being planned. Not to mention, if they do label one server as an RP server and its not Balmung. What will happen then? There is things to consider and I'm waiting to see how SE plays all this out.

This ^ this is what I was trying to say. I think we should just hold off on voting all together until we see what SE's going to do when they decide what server to make the official server.

At this point, the community looks like it's going split in some capacity no matter what anyone does. The issue before us now is by how much.

EDIT: As far as the July 1st deadline, I'll be sure to ask Kylin about the reasoning behind it if he doesn't address it by the end of the day.

Hopefully, I get this right. Ellie, that's exactly what I've been thinking all along. Many folks are afraid of how bad the split might be, or how much of a headache it is going to be. Believe me, I had a massive headache last week over this much discussed topic. Originally, some of the folks coming with me were asking about a new server. Another group of friends where I met them were on Balmung.

We talked often about what our plans were, and it came to the crossroads of what's the best interest for folks. It was a massive headache, wasn't any drama. I finally just asked my guys and their guys what they want to do, and we decided to go on Balmung, it'll be more challenging anyway getting going than it would in a non-legacy. So we had no problem switching or changing decisions, that's kind of how my guys are. We're relaxed.

However, I also see potential issues that are just unknown to us that part of me has to look at. My earlier fears are new folks being unable to join down the road if they don't get in right away because of queues. I'm hoping with the legacy/server thing this won't be an issue now, we'll see.

The big question that I'm settling on, that leaves me very much concerned. What if SE decides to label a non-legacy server RP. That's going to hurt -everyone- in some way. The only way they could reach happy medium is a fresh server that allows x amount of days for legacy to switch over and then after that only new characters. Seems like alot of work on SE to try to appease everyone.

As a player from EU I too would prefer if we hold off the vote. If they put tags on both EU/NA servers, I'm worried it would split us off. Timezones and all that.

Part of me is hoping they'll only use 2 RP tags, for a legacy and non-legacy server. Has anything been considered if they for some reason choose not to use Balmung?

@Crow:

Thank you for writing in a professional way that I was not able to, because there were main reasons I wanted to point out but I couldn't word it properly :)

Also I have 5-6 who are interested in playing the game and would like to roleplay and they are also another reason who told me to ask such questions instead for them. But I also support their opinions in some manners. We want to start freshly new, and they don't mind going to Balmung but they are mostly hoping that it'd be non-legacy RP server. So me and my friends will see what happens by July 1st.

Firstly, this thread is starting to get slightly off topic. As a news post, it's not really meant for discussions like this. In addition, we've already had similar debates in another thread that got heated and locked. We're literally chasing tails with these fears and arguments, as there are zero true solutions for said problems aside from waiting to see what happens.

Second, the July 1st was selected in order to give a proper balance of giving SE time to name a server while still getting a secondary one named ASAP. For those who haven't noticed, a tug of war is already starting to develop in the RP community. People are trying to tug RPers to certain other servers. People are also already establishing themselves on said servers and many have no intention of migrating at this stage. Thus, the sooner a secondary server is selected, the better. Should SE name an official RP server after the fact (seeming increasingly unlikely as of late since the deadline for server migration is already set in stone for mid July...), the decision can easily be reversed. But right now, people are making connections and getting overly antsy. It would not behoove the community to postpone things much longer in that regard.

Firstly, this thread is starting to get slightly off topic. As a news post, it's not really meant for discussions like this. In addition, we've already had similar debates in another thread that got heated and locked. We're literally chasing tails with these fears and arguments, as there are zero true solutions for said problems aside from waiting to see what happens.

Second, the July 1st was selected in order to give a proper balance of giving SE time to name a server while still getting a secondary one named ASAP. For those who haven't noticed, a tug of war is already starting to develop in the RP community. People are trying to tug RPers to certain other servers. People are also already establishing themselves on said servers and many have no intention of migrating at this stage. Thus, the sooner a secondary server is selected, the better. Should SE name an official RP server after the fact (seeming increasingly unlikely as of late since the deadline for server migration is already set in stone for mid July...), the decision can easily be reversed. But right now, people are making connections and getting overly antsy. It would not behoove the community to postpone things much longer in that regard.

So then what now? Are we going to start the polling?

;;

So then what now? Are we going to start the polling?

;;

I believe he just said that he's still looking to start the polling on the first of July. So not yet, no.

"People are also already establishing themselves on said servers and many have no intention of migrating at this stage. Thus, the sooner a secondary server is selected, the better. Should SE name an official RP server after the fact (seeming increasingly unlikely as of late since the deadline for server migration is already set in stone for mid July...), the decision can easily be reversed. But right now, people are making connections and getting overly antsy"

". It would not behoove the community to postpone things much longer in that regard."

I asked because of these statements being made...

*sighs*

I guess I shall be voting on the new server as well when it appears.  All I can ask for those going to the new server is lets try to really make it a nice place eh? Once we vote I'll put together a very nice server wide event and would love to have any ideas and/or assistance once the new server is named, and I will even resurrect a fan favorite from WoW and TOR  just for the new server. I think everyone will like him, he's a pretty fun character.

*Awaits July first*