The RPC and the RP Server

Kylin

I still do not understand the logic behind the ARR players being intimidated, uncomfortable, or whatever other reasons, with starting with the 1.0/Community. If all Roleplayers are on one realm, you still have each other, but you also have the original community to join in with. 

Of course, these forums will support a second RP World. While I do not understand the reasoning behind not wanting to bring all of the new players together with all the old players in one world, it is a choice people have, and I respect it. I wish everyone who chooses to start somewhere else the best of luck.

I just hope that people will try out Balmung, and give the community a chance to welcome them, instead of presuming them all as negligent of new players. ^^ I know I am. As I've said, I'm a 1.0 player, but I played so little (I'd say under a month), and didn't understand what Roleplaying was back then. FFXIV:ARR feels like a brand new game, and this community in particular I had no contact with. I played on Sargatanas.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I made my post, I was mostly trying to get across the concerns that any new person may have when coming to a server full of people.  I've experienced many of those concerns myself, from ages past, so I know they are true.

It seems to have done the trick though, as it garnered a decent response.

In any case, I have transferred my character to Balmung, and I intend to play there unless a couple of my friends are really dead set against it. 

I truly do hope none of the things I mentioned happen, or at least don't happen with any real frequency, but they are things to watch out for.

Hai Aeonic. Fancy meeting you here. =P *hugs*

I think one thing that is going to sort of change the whole "1.0 originals helping newbies" thing is the level syncing. The problem I've seen with a lot of games - beyond the natural feeling of cliques and such - is that for non-tavern RP...a higher level character grouping with a lower level one is just not beneficial to the lowbie and can make it really boring for them.

With the level syncing, I think there will be a lot more help to be given without trivializing content or robbing EXP; even if it's not a conscious thought, the gaps between levels in games that don't sync cause huge problems. Removing the gap really makes grouping between old characters and new easier.

For example, my guild in Neverwinter has been having a lot of issues helping one another with certain things (skirmishes and queued dungeons) because of level differences. Even just three levels makes it so I can't go into a skirmish with my fiance, leaving him to have to completely PUG the situation, which neither of us enjoy. With dungeons, we can outright enter them from the actual physical entrance, but if we don't have 5 people, even with higher level help the end bosses can't be done. There's several mid-level people in the guild I would love to help...but I eat up so much of their EXP and can't even enter their dungeon/skirmish half the time.

Level gaps suck, and add to that whole feeling like you can't help or can't get help, and as I said before, even if it's not completely conscious, it's likely your brain factors that in. Removing that problem moves us one step more towards being sure people get the help they need.

Also, as far as Linkshells go, I believe there is an OOC linkshell any RPer can join, if I'm remembering correctly. That will go a long way in this situation.

I still do not understand the logic behind the ARR players being intimidated, uncomfortable, or whatever other reasons, with starting with the 1.0/Community. If all Roleplayers are on one realm, you still have each other, but you also have the original community to join in with. 

Of course, these forums will support a second RP World. While I do not understand the reasoning behind not wanting to bring all of the new players together with all the old players in one world, it is a choice people have, and I respect it. I wish everyone who chooses to start somewhere else the best of luck.

I just hope that people will try out Balmung, and give the community a chance to welcome them, instead of presuming them all as negligent of new players. ^^ I know I am. As I've said, I'm a 1.0 player, but I played so little (I'd say under a month), and didn't understand what Roleplaying was back then. FFXIV:ARR feels like a brand new game, and this community in particular I had no contact with. I played on Sargatanas.

I can try to put some perspective on it, as - as much as I like to downplay it - the gap between 1.0 people and 2.0 is an issue. Coming into an already established group is intimidating. Some RPC people have gotten used to each other and have roleplayed with each other for 2 years. 2 years! That's a long time. Try to think of the Balmung community like a club in high school. They've been together since they were Sophmores and now their Seniors, and now your the lowly little freshman trying to get in. That's scary. They are used to each other. They understand how each other roleplays, what their characters are like generally, and have stories connecting each other.

The linkshells that are established seem highly intimidating and yet completely intriguing at the same time, because - like it or not - everyone wants to be part of the "in" crowd, and the "in" crowd on Balmung for RPers will be linkshells that are already established. People will want to be a part of those well known shells and even just SAYING "We aren't recruiting yet" can feel like your shunning new players. That's just how it is. New shells will be made, but they may feel they can't hold a candle to old shells. Who would want to be with a new shell, when they can apply to an already established, popular shell? It can be frustrating and scary.

It's all about being a part of the in crowd. Trying to be a part of it, or even just entertaining the though of being a part of it, can be stressful. Rolling on a new server is so, so tempting. There is no In-crowd. There are no popular characters or popular linkshells. There's no one to have to kowtow to, no hoops you will have to jump to try and feel accepted. You are making the rules as you go with other new people. Everyone starts at level 0 and, as much as people like to pretend other wise, that is just not the case on Balmung.

~~~~

This is not to say people shouldn't roll on Balmung though. I'm all about rolling on Balmung. I was here way back in the day during the 1.0 Beta (Maybe even before) and was very active here in the RPC. There are people that are still here from when I signed up on this forum, now having 2+ years experience on little ol me who only played 1.0 for a short time. I recognize a lot of names and they may not recognize me, but I'm almost in awe they managed to stick with the game this long. It's intimidating, having to see those people in game. I recently went to a Linkshell leaders meeting and it seemed like everyone knew each other and I was like, at first, "What am I even doing here?" but once I let the feeling of being an outsider slide I was able to speak my mind fairly freely. There were a few people there who I felt were really on my side (Thanks for that btw) and that's when I knew that Balmung would be okay.

Because there will be people who do not want new people there, that is fact. We new people can't avoid it. As much as people may cry "No, we love new people!" the fact is, there are people who will not want you to intrude on the bubble they built. They will not want you to change the Status Quo.

However, there will be plenty of people who will help you and be gracious and rp with you. Sure, some of the people who RP with you may not be the people you want (The "popular ones") but there will be people who will reach out to you with open arms.

Never let anyone have you think that rolling on Balmung is a favor they are letting you do. It is the opposite. You are doing Legacy players a favor by keeping their server active and alive. No one wants to be on a dead server, you rolling on Balmung does them the favor. You are stating "I am rolling on your server to keep this community alive."

Now this statement "New players are doing Legacy players a favor" May sound inflammatory to some, maybe even some Legacy players will get mad, but I think that's a better attitude to have then "Legacy players are scary and I don't want to deal with them." The reason I am rolling on Balmung (With my 30 person guild who are 95% new) is because I don't want to see the community that started there become severed or force legacy players to roll on a new server to RP (Which would be unfair). I'm rolling on Balmung because I respect their history and the time they put into their characters and, though I wasn't apart of that, I want to see that continue. I also want to be a part of the new chapter that they are building in 2.0! I'm not necessarily talking about RPing with all the Legacy people, but I'm talking about being a part of the history of the server. There's still a lot of room to make your mark on Balmung and, while it may be a bit more challenging, people shouldn't be afraid of it.

God this is looonngg

Forgive me for being blunt but this whole fear of not being accepted really seems to have some people building up walls between themselves and the legacy crowd. Like a few others I did play 1.0 for a bit but never really dived into the RP community.

Now as someone who is still counted as being new here I had a great time at The Blue Skies event that happened this weekend. As mention old and new players mixed and again as one of those new players I felt welcomed and from what I saw no one was turned away. Sure some posts were missed but that's to be expected when you get a big enough group of people together.

To kind of reinforce the "you get what you give" statements that have been posted. I did have to speak up and find a place to start. The door is open we just have to take those first couple of steps and once inside things weren't as intimidating or as scary as they seemed. I generally worry about this stuff myself at times and I can often get really shy or my anxiety spikes.

I guess what I'm trying to say is those of us who are new have to be willing to step through that door. No one is going to know we are there if we stay behind this wall of 'what ifs'.

Forgive me for being blunt but this whole fear of not being accepted really seems to have some people building up walls between themselves and the legacy crowd. Like a few others I did play 1.0 for a bit but never really dived into the RP community.

Now as someone who is still counted as being new here I had a great time at The Blue Skies event that happened this weekend. As mention old and new players mixed and again as one of those new players I felt welcomed and from what I saw no one was turned away. Sure some posts were missed but that's to be expected when you get a big enough group of people together.

To kind of reinforce the "you get what you give" statements that have been posted. I did have to speak up and find a place to start. The door is open we just have to take those first couple of steps and once inside things weren't as intimidating or as scary as they seemed. I generally worry about this stuff myself at times and I can often get really shy or my anxiety spikes.

I guess what I'm trying to say is those of us who are new have to be willing to step through that door. No one is going to know we are there if we stay behind this wall of 'what ifs'.

^^^ This .. +1 :thumbsup:

I've been hanging around a long while (back into 1.something) but I've barely RPed with anyone (mostly from wanting to play characters meant for ARR and personal health issues). I've never felt unwelcome or like people weren't happy to RP with me when I would be ready to.

This is a fantastic community.

I've been hanging around a long while (back into 1.something) but I've barely RPed with anyone (mostly from wanting to play characters meant for ARR and personal health issues). I've never felt unwelcome or like people weren't happy to RP with me when I would be ready to.

This is a fantastic community.

This is very close to how I feel.

The amount of time I spent with 14 before ARR is negligible; I do not have access to my legacy characters, nor do I want it. I am content to start fresh and to start new -- on a preestablished, and founded server.

I was hesitant to jump into a Legacy server at first too. I was worried about the same things a lot of people are: the economy, the amount of max level characters, the cliques already set in stone, etc. But after spending time during this most recent phase, and posting here, and in Skype, I have found one of the most welcoming RP communities that I have ever seen.

The Blue Skies event was really the turning point for me. It was what sold me on staying here at this server. The people were friendly and well-spoken, and despite the large group, I was never ignored or shooed away for just walking up and starting a conversation with someone I didn't know. There were a few instances when I felt as though I was totally out of the loop and didn't know what to do, where to start, where to go, who to talk to. So I chose people at random and just struck up a conversation.

From my experience roleplaying in games, I have to agree with the idea of really getting what you're putting out. If you make the effort to present yourself, and say hi, people aren't going to run you out of town. On the contrary, you may find yourself getting an earful, and being pulled into something that lasts much longer than you had expected. So give it a shot! These beta weekends are the perfect time to nail down core character ideas and bounce around the server to see if it's a good fit for you. It may not be -- that's not a bad thing! But you may be surprised, too.

Just my thoughts on the week or so that I've been here.

I'd just like to bring up the Duty Finder that will be available at launch, since no one seems to be discussing that yet. If your concern is that there won't be enough people on the server at your level to get through low level content, you don't have to rely on the promises of the higher level community. The Duty Finder will let you party with anyone who's looking for a party no matter what server they're on, and from what I understand the Duty Finder will cover any and all instanced content that can be done in a party.

So there should be no reason to worry that you won't be able to find a group for a dungeon. Pretty much everything else is soloable except for maybe FATEs (which are adjusted to the amount of people in the zone you're in anyway), and you don't have to be a certain level to participate in roleplay.

So unless you're really attached to a certain group of friends who won't be rolling on an RP server, or you really don't feel like starting your character in an established economy, there really is no reason to be apprehensive about joining a legacy server.

Part of the main reason my group of friends and I don't want to join a Legacy server is because we feel the RP aspect of leveling up/gaining strength should be a big part of the RP experience. What I mean to say is that everyone starts from scratch; how long it takes others to reach max level (being semi-serious PVE'ers) is important to us since we pride ourselves on being somewhat skilled in that part of the game.

Some people have different styles of RP and correlate their actual level/gear into their RP.. which I'm okay with, honestly. With that in mind it would be a little overwhelming to join a server and already feel 'outranked' in that aspect though.

I absolutely love incorporating leveling up with RP. But they have level sync so higher levels can equally participate. I think it seems like most people who don't want to start on the legacy server sound like they prefer the small clique groups that they are afraid of, creating the very same problem they describe. Personally, while I love a story driven group I also equally love just randomly meeting up with people to share stories or start a new side adventure up. I know some of the "best" rp comes from a guild and linkshell. But some of my favorite rp is with new people and making friends.

I will be joining the Legacy server because honestly all I wish for is to immerse myself in the living world. This means joining the primary unofficial RP server, and also getting a chance to learn from those who have been skipping around Hydaelyn for all these years! In time I am sure I will find my place, or perhaps even make my own. Cliques will be everywhere, so that much does not upset me.

I dont think there is anything to worry about.

Everyone who wants to RP doesnt have to join balmung. There are soooo many people new and old that will be joining Balmung, it is a huge community and a good one.

I am legacy, started on Besaid. I have one class 50 and one craft 50, thats it, everything else I have is low.

Im not even gonna play on my 50, I will be starting as one of my lvl 1 classes and lvl it up and do the story missions the way they were intended for a new class.

Personally I think that it doesnt matter what each individual will do, or were they start or if they are going to be on the same world as me. I will play the game how I want to play and there will be plenty of dynamic people who will want to share the enjoyment with me, whether new or old.

Other people will only make or break the game for you if you let them.

PLEASE DO NOT WORRY (dont worry everything will be fine)

PLEASE LOOK FORWARD TO IT

I will personally take grain of salt and give it a try being in legacy server after everyone's feedback. However, I still will consider having the option for a new server mainly because me and my friends were screwed over in many terms in FFXI, WoW, GW2 and Tera RP community since most of them had their communities built up for a long time that they only look at each other. We even tried to make the initiatives but wasn't good enough so we gave up on that.

With that said, I won't deny that this community is slightly better in terms of newbie welcoming community - but I still feel that it'll come down to a limit of toleration to each of it's own. 

Never got to me why Legacy players considered of going to new server like Gilgamesh but I always thought of it as that they don't feel like making a new character and playing from scratch. I mean, it's not that it's bad or anything. But the title is really "a realm reborn" to let everyone know that it is reborn for everyone to approach new again. 

If I ever do join Balmung, I am probably going to have to join a community that will not make each other feel awkward or even welcome new players.

But regardless, I think veteran/legacy LSs/group should consider accepting new players than closing recruitment or isolate the newcomers from their usual roleplaying group. New players are the main things that makes this community stronger than the veteran players in my honest opinion.

But regardless, I think veteran/legacy LSs/group should consider accepting new players than closing recruitment or isolate the newcomers from their usual roleplaying group. New players are the main things that makes this community stronger than the veteran players in my honest opinion.

What LS/group are you referring to? As far as I know every group here who is accepting members is accepting newcomers and legacy players alike.

What LS/group are you referring to? As far as I know every group here who is accepting members is accepting newcomers and legacy players alike.

I've actually looked at the LS recruitment and other LS lists through this site, and some were closed and were not accepting new members. I will not mention any names up here since it'll cause more commotions than it should. 

Group, maybe they would accept newcomers and legacy players . But I dont think it's the same for LS.

Part of the main reason my group of friends and I don't want to join a Legacy server is because we feel the RP aspect of leveling up/gaining strength should be a big part of the RP experience. What I mean to say is that everyone starts from scratch; how long it takes others to reach max level (being semi-serious PVE'ers) is important to us since we pride ourselves on being somewhat skilled in that part of the game.

Some people have different styles of RP and correlate their actual level/gear into their RP.. which I'm okay with, honestly. With that in mind it would be a little overwhelming to join a server and already feel 'outranked' in that aspect though.

Well, it's news to me that people don't RP levels and gear. I guess I was planning to by default without realizing the alternative option. I do want to make note though, that it's natural to have people who are better than you (especially when you start out). I mean, unless you want to play as "heroes" of the realm or something, it shouldn't be a problem to allow the fact that certain people are more experienced, right? I mean, that's just how it is in RL, so it'd seem like pretty realistic RP!

As far as my testimonial goes: I have played some 1.0 and never RPed. When I discovered this community (after finding out that people actually RP in an mmoRPg) people have been really friendly and informative. Not only am I new to the community of 2+years but also new to RP, and folks have been really nice. After posting in the mentor thread a had a few people go out of their way to PM me and offered help with the character concept. I myself PMed a few people to thank them for very informative posts, and I believe we began a back and forth dialogue that may carry over into possible RP in the future.

I've had plenty of suggestions/help with a sub-community / linkshell "Eorzean Labor Union" which was just a rough idea when I dreamed it up. Thanks to those 1.0 people, it's now a formed concept ready to accept ANY DoH/DoL. Obviously I wouldn't make a community that left out people like myself, newbies to Hydaelyn Roleplayers. Joining a "primary" guild was pretty easy all things considering. I PM'ed the leader of a guild I liked, and after some correspondence to make sure we were a good fit, I was invited in! I didn't feel discriminated against, even though it is a heavy RP guild and I am a new RPer. 

I never felt excluded from any discussion even though I asked general questions about RP even within said discussions. Now I really feel like a poster child for how welcoming the Legacy people are, so I'll stop with the personal examples.

I feel that if some new people do not feel comfortable, they should just go wherever. No amount of debating will make a certain number of them comfortable.  I personally don't have issues with approaching people and wedging myself into the community, not that a lot of that was required here. I don't understand the "awkward" people, that's just not me...  but I am pretty sure I'd be annoyed by the constant groaning of exclusion when all the doors are wide open, so I'd actually prefer them go to a brand new server and make hay there. :frustrated:

Sorry if that came across as mean... I would prefer to be in a server with all RPers there, the world would feel even more alive then. But if no amount of reasoning can make that happen, I am all for people doing whatever they feel happy with at the moment :love:

I've actually looked at the LS recruitment and other LS lists through this site, and some were closed and were not accepting new members. I will not mention any names up here since it'll cause more commotions than it should. 

Group, maybe they would accept newcomers and legacy players . But I dont think it's the same for LS.

I just would like to jump in here and say that while Crystalline is 'closed' per say at the moment.  We are still encouraging people to check out our forms and get to know us.  We're only 'closed' because the check ICly doesn't exist yet.

@Curtis-West:

I would not honestly say the way you worded sounded mean. Which in some ways, you are indeed correct. However I will leave my final decision when the actual open beta happens. Until then, I'd like to open my ideals to have a different server too, in case if Balmung gets either laggy or full or whatever it might occur as well.  Thank you though.

The only LS I know of is Crystalline, which is waiting until the organization is formed in character before accepting new members, legacy or not. They're not doing it to keep non-legacy members out, they're just waiting until they can play out the group's establishment in game, and once recruitment opens again everyone who wants to will be able to join.

That said, there a handful non-legacy people who are already in Crystalline who joined just before they stopped accepting members. It's not something that non-legacy people should be taking personally.

If it really is a big as issue as everyone is making it to be, why doesn't everyone who wants to RP just start on a new server, including legacy players. Pretty sure that would break down any 'walls' that are being theorized :P

On to a more serious matter though; why July 1st? We have about a week left and I doubt any kind of side announcement such as an official-unofficial RP server is going to be pushed to the top of Yoshi's things-to-do list. With open beta probably not starting until early August I would suggest moving that poll to around then. It's not like anyone is going to be RPing while testing in the beta is going on and we're just twiddling our thumbs outside of the game.

Just my two cents. ~

If it really is a big as issue as everyone is making it to be' date=' why doesn't everyone who wants to RP just start on a new server, including legacy players. Pretty sure that would break down any 'walls' that are being theorized :P[/quote']

I'm trying to understand why the very people who want to move to a new server because (as I understand it) they don't want to waste their effort competing against an already established economy and/or endgame community, would then turn around and ask everyone else to throw away all the effort they put into their character and start over again.

I've seen this several times now, and it makes less sense every time. :(

It's not like anyone is going to be RPing while testing in the beta is going on and we're just twiddling our thumbs outside of the game.

Sure they are.. Have you read the events section lately?

I have :o I am not on that server, nor will I have time to re-roll to jump off to that island. Guess I'm speaking for the majority here.. or perhaps the minority? Not sure how much time everyone has on their hands and what servers they joined.. I guess it's not good to assume. :P

Crow has a good point though, why the 1st of July? Since everybody seemed to not read what Crow mentioned, why not just wait until they announce it or put it in the open beta about what servers are gonna be official rp servers instead of just waiting and then suddenly, "NO ANNOUNCEMENT STILL?! Fawk Yoshi-p we're going to make Balmung our official server?"

Why not just go to Balmung, wait until the game ACTUALLY comes out then if they do an official server and it's NOT Balmung, just stay on Balmung or move to the official server they created? If that even makes sense, and I hope it doesn't sound mean.

And besides, no matter HOW high everyone is right now, their characters are most likely going to be wiped before Open Beta or before the game is officially out anyone which means, EVERYONE is going to have to start over regardless.

Furthermore and I'm probably just ranted now and I STILL hope this doesn't sound like I'm being mean or being stubborn or being high and mighty or whatever it is you guys want to call it, WHY are we even FUSSING about this when NOBODY knows for SURE yet? Yeah there are beta rp events going on and SOME people don't even HAVE beta so SOME people can't even come, so why is this making people all "what if-y about everything now anyways?

:frustrated: