The RPC and the RP Server

Kylin

I have a level 1 Elezen THM on Balmung from when the game first came out. I managed to get into the game and make it through character creation, but at the time my computer just couldn't handle it. Several years later and a very large investment in a new pc I'm happy to say I'll finally get a chance to play that THM again, though he'll probably be a Manqo'te this time.

Given that I'm the only person of my guild that was able to get into beta, I've been looking around to try and find where to make our home. So far it seems like you guys will be seeing the Black Sun Alliance cropping up in your community come launch! Hope to play with you all soon. :D

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings. I'm Ryaadi, I played a bit during the 1.0 before it went back to subscription. I remember the fun times I had on Besaid. Anyway, I come from a group of mixed heavy roleplayers and raiding folks that are looking at making their way to FF14, which when I did my first beta last weekend, I was in absolute awe at all the changes. Absolutely in love with the game.

Anyway, during this time I met some fellow rpers and also consulted with some of my folks. The concern seemed to be over wanting to start an entirely fresh server. While I do not care either way, to start on a Legacy or not - I'm sort of willing to toss my old char in the wind to start over either way. I'm glad to see RPC is willing to support a second non-legacy RP server. I just hope, that many of the folks I bumped into take a look here at this site. That always seems to be the difficulty is getting folks to bump into sites. Either way, I hope to meet some of you and meet some old friends again.

I'll be sticking with Balmung - especially now that I see it will be an NA/EU server.  I've met all of you on there, and I also have many friends over the years who were not in my LS that i would party up with and talk to over my time in FFXIV. 

Just wanted to mention I will probably start my own new character on the Legacy server to help out, and I would encourage new players to also join us on Balmung.  Even though the idea of joining all new players on an all new server sounds appealing, I'm sure after the first few weeks there will be many players who reach level cap and doing end-game content and knowing a lot about the game who will be on-par with any legacy players you'd meet on Balmung.

I'm not quite sure I understand why some folks would opt to start on a non-Legacy versus Balmung once the game goes live. I think starting on a Legacy server would be more beneficial for a number of reasons. Maybe someone can argue against it and help me to see the benefit of the other side of this.

(1) The hunting areas surrounding the city you start in would be less congested in comparison. When I started out in beta P3 last weekend, the areas around Gridania were brutal. The shrouds around the city looked something akin to a scene out of 300 with most everyone in the surrounding area flying around like little frenzy-stricken blade-equipped whirligigs annihilating anything that came within 25 yards of them even if it was already engaged. If it weren't for the fact you got credit for a kill even if you managed to only smack it once to do enough damage to register as an assist, I think some may have felt more than a little robbed of their time and effort. Fates were another interesting phenomena in which I swear some people inherited the ability of burrowing. You're walking along, a Fate pops up on you, and 30 people pop in out of no where like a horde of mole people. Who needs 15 minutes? It was usually completed in less than 2.

(2) Those that are worried about playing catch up with material possession, having older toons on the server with established crafting practices could better help you with that.

(3) As has already been said, level sync does a pretty good job of taking care of any gap between new and old toons so you still have some way of playing together and having both parties feeling as though they're getting something out of it. Though personally, gear is important, but not as important as the quality of the role playing I get out of the encounter.

Just my opinions though.

Black Dragon is right, I'd much rather be born in a modern day city than the wild west.  High level characters will most likely be willing to help lowbies who have questions or are stuck on a quest.  I remember I had someone strong help me with my paladin quest.  Made the whole thing much much easier.

RP-wise: I think having newbies and legacy players creates some depth and weight for story development (In my own story-telling style I prefer to RP along with my in-game job/level/stats, but that's just me).

Game-play wise- I'm personally just excited for the launch, and as it's been mentioned. I'd rather not compete with people to kill hornets and the like. >_>

New to this forum, and new to 14 in general.  I played a bit of it before Yoshida took over and between the computer spec requirements and the overall impression I took from the starting areas, I quit shortly after I started.  

I'm looking towards Balmung as my server of choice right now.  Mainly because it is the centerpoint for RP from what I've seen and I'm a sucker for the stuff.  I'm hesitant to join a Legacy server however because I feel as though the strongest bonds are formed in an MMO when all parties involved are new and don't know what they're doing.  They stumble, and flail and get lost and sometimes they die, and sometimes they succeed and from that they create stories.  They grow together and it's that mutual growth that they go through that forges those special bonds.  

There are a ton of benefits to starting on a Legacy server to be sure: the economy is more stable, starting areas are slightly less chaotic (only slightly I'm sure, hahaha.), and there are friendly people to look to when you're confused or stuck.  But those same friendly people are the same folks who've gone through the growing pains together and while they're awesome and friendly and amazing for helping you, it's not quite the same as doing it yourself, with other folks who are just as new and just as dumb.  

That's my two cents on it, anyway.

I'm hesitant to join a Legacy server however because I feel as though the strongest bonds are formed in an MMO when all parties involved are new and don't know what they're doing.

Right now I'm under this distinct impression that there is going to be absolutely no shortage of "new" new people to interact with. Just because a server is a non-Legacy server doesn't discount the fact that some veterans might opt to migrate to a new server for their chance to mad rush the coveted honor of "first"-ing any number of its unclaimed titles and achievements. The benefits of starting on a non-Legacy might be so negligible that you might probably wish you'd have just started out on Balmung to begin with. Having played MMOs that have released and grown to the point of requiring new servers, I can say the serenity of a server that's had a slight exodus is really nice at times when I think just how much chaos is ensuing on the new world while I drink my mulled tea and munch on my honey muffin at the local tavern. What? No flying hobbits landing on my table today? How nice. *sip*

I'm hesitant to join a Legacy server however because I feel as though the strongest bonds are formed in an MMO when all parties involved are new and don't know what they're doing.

Right now I'm under this distinct impression that there is going to be absolutely no shortage of "new" new people to interact with. Just because a server is a non-Legacy server doesn't discount the fact that some veterans might opt to migrate to a new server for their chance to mad rush the coveted honor of "first"-ing any number of its unclaimed titles and achievements. The benefits of starting on a non-Legacy might be so negligible that you might probably wish you'd have just started out on Balmung to begin with. Having played MMOs that have released and grown to the point of requiring new servers, I can say the serenity of a server that's had a slight exodus is really nice at times when I think just how much chaos is ensuing on the new world while I drink my mulled tea and munch on my honey muffin at the local tavern. What? No flying hobbits landing on my table today? How nice. *sip*

That's true, too. I hadn't actually thought of some of the more cutthroat players going after new servers to snag 'firsts'.

A lot of what I guess I was talking about comes from a different time, before websites like WoWhead. When things were still obscure and hard to figure out. I am definitely leaning towards Balmung --I mean, I'm on this website, after all -- there are just some small reservations in the back of my head. Specifically that initial sense of wonder and awe that comes from those first few steps into a new world.

Community is what I look for in an MMO. I don't care if it's got the best systems and outrageously good graphics, if I can't find a group of people to grow with, then I can't play it. So I look for that above everything else, and I know that roleplaying communities especially well established ones, can be dense things, and hard to navigate.

..though the idea of uninterrupted tea and muffins sounds awesome.

That's true, too.  I hadn't actually thought of some of the more cutthroat players going after new servers to snag 'firsts'.  

A lot of what I guess I was talking about comes from a different time, before websites like WoWhead.  When things were still obscure and hard to figure out.  I am definitely leaning towards Balmung --I mean, I'm on this website, after all -- there are just some small reservations in the back of my head.  Specifically that initial sense of wonder and awe that comes from those first few steps into a new world.

Community is what I look for in an MMO.  I don't care if it's got the best systems and outrageously good graphics, if I can't find a group of people to grow with, then I can't play it.  So I look for that above everything else, and I know that roleplaying communities especially well established ones, can be dense things, and hard to navigate.  

..though the idea of uninterrupted tea and muffins sounds awesome.

That happens in every game, where folks will race to snag things. It's not a big deal. You described pretty much a big reason some of my folks decided to start on a non-legacy server. It's the community forming, the growing pains and bonds you form. The same thing that many folks went through during v1.0. Yes, things will be sporadic in the economy, but it also puts everyone on even footing from the beginning. One of the big things for example we're already planning, working together to get enough funds to get our Free Company. That's the stuff I've missed, just that strong teamwork, bonding with new folks, and making new friends through those hardships we all face.

I admit, I will miss my character from v1.0, but to be honest - seeing what I did this weekend beta. It is absolutely a whole new world, and I'm so eager to go from start to end with folks. I simply sat there and asked on teamspeak to a guildie who'd been in during phase 2... "Is this a movie or the actual game?" And then when I realized it was the game. I was stunned, when I stepped out of Ul'dah -- so much land was changed, detailed and so many things. I really don't mind the congestion in the starting zones so much. Anyway, just thought I'd respond because it made me identify a bit there.

I'll most likely have to split time between Balmung and a non-legacy server.

I played in 1.0 and didn't get very far (about level 20 in all classes), but I was still involved quite heavily in RP at the time and got involved with a great linkshell. I probably would've ended on a much higher level if I hadn't just screwed around with everyone in that linkshell all day.

Having an established, accessible, and easily recognized RP community means a lot to me, which is why I want to continue playing and roleplaying my 1.0 character.

Unfortunately, every single one of my friends that I've made throughout the Beta period is completely deadset against a Legacy server. They're all RPers, they just have zero interest in joining a server with already established characters.

I understand their hesitance up to a point, even if I don't share it. The only unfortunate thing is that they're purposefully splitting away from the greater RP community due to it. Hopefully we'll at least land on the secondary RP server.

Best case scenario, I can change their minds about Legacy before launch. Worst case scenario, I'm going to be a very busy Miqo'te/Highlander/Roegadyn RPer.

I just can't wrap my mind around why people wouldn't want to be on a legacy server.  Anywhere you go in life there will be older, more established people.  But that's a good thing.  People to turn to when you really need it.  If you're worried that the game will be too easy, remember, it's a brand new game.  All these "experienced" people don't have a clue what's going on exactly either.  Ul'dah's the same, but once you get outside the city it's like "where the f@&% am I?"

I am not sure why any of this is happening... by that I mean these arguments. Will there not be an "RP Server" picked by SE? If not, then why not? It seems almost every MMO has that. Have they been contacted about it? It seems that would solve all of these debates. 

I am all for just joining the legacy server, don't see a big deal. That's were RPers will be, and the rest will sort itself out.

Stay positive people <3

After having just read the thread 'RP Server: A Discussion', I now fully understand how this thread came to be. I'm really sorry I ever said anything about it.

I'm curious about this. I've heard murmurings of bad blood between servers, I think? Suppose I should just dig into the thread and start reading!

After having just read the thread 'RP Server: A Discussion', I now fully understand how this thread came to be. I'm really sorry I ever said anything about it.

I'm curious about this.  I've heard murmurings of bad blood between servers, I think?  Suppose I should just dig into the thread and start reading!

Between servers as a whole? No.

It's just that occasionally the RPC (or any online community of any kind, really) attracts members with a particular agenda who refuse to see that others are allowed to feel differently. It's unfortunate, but if someone can't be reasoned with, it's best to encourage them to find their own place rather than continue to fight it out.

I'm curious about this.  I've heard murmurings of bad blood between servers, I think?  Suppose I should just dig into the thread and start reading!

Between servers as a whole? No.

It's just that occasionally the RPC (or any online community of any kind, really) attracts members with a particular agenda who refuse to see that others are allowed to feel differently. It's unfortunate, but if someone can't be reasoned with, it's best to encourage them to find their own place rather than continue to fight it out.

Ah, yeah. I see. I went over the thread as well. It's unfortunate to say the least. I'm glad to see that there are at least a few people on both sides trying to work something out, though.

I am not sure why any of this is happening... by that I mean these arguments. Will there not be an "RP Server" picked by SE? If not, then why not? It seems almost every MMO has that. Have they been contacted about it?

Oh man, we've been harassing them about an Official RP server since before the launch of 1.0. SE has responded several times lately saying the usual 'considering it/would like to do it' etc. :) But we won't know til they do. And until then.. *points at original post by Kylin* Wheee.

Unfortunately, every single one of my friends that I've made throughout the Beta period is completely deadset against a Legacy server. They're all RPers, they just have zero interest in joining a server with already established characters.

I completely understand this perspective, especially since in most cases being the new character on an established server puts the screws to you economically (as all higher level characters are focusing on the established and profitable high level market or overpricing gear at the low end to catch twinked alts). In an RP server, it can be even worse due to the inevitable closing of RP communities into established cliques over time (for a dramatic object lesson, see Moon Guard in WoW).

However, both of these problems have been historically observed when a small influx of new players meets a large, established community. FFXIV is... blessed, I suppose, in a way, since version 1.x essentially ensured that the established community would be very small. I anticipate seeing the opposite situation, wherein a large influx of new players meets a small, established community. Cliques will have to open up, or they'll be marginalized. The economy will be "fresher" since there'll simply be too much supply and demand for the old characters to dominate.

One thing that also occurred to me when I read your post and others is that the Legacy tag may also act as a barrier to entry for non-RPers, which I think should help strengthen the RP community on the server. Non-RPers will, in general, gravitate to the servers that best serve their goals -- easy grouping, fast XP, simple access to end-game content -- and any barrier to that should help keep them away. (In other games, I've advocated official RP servers having a flat 5% XP penalty to achieve this result.) If people perceive the Legacy tag as meaning a dead economy and a surfeit of max level characters, they'll likely go elsewhere. Then, you'll only get those on those server for whom RP is enough of a benefit to outweigh that perceived cost. The end result is a higher concentration of committed RPers and fewer griefers. The historical example of this is the Firiona Vie server in EQ1, which remained a thriving RP site even after most of its onerous restrictions were lifted (and largely only had RPers when it had those restrictions).

So, it's a pity that your friends are so set against a Legacy server, but I think there's good arguments for RPers congregating on one if so many people view the tag negatively.

With the poll only 11 days away now (assuming no announcement comes from SE by then), I want to stress to people to start researching their selection (though I urge you to not "campaign" or anything). Apparently, Behemoth and Leviathan have been touted by other Rpers already. I think Moogle was also a contender at one time. I have heard little of other servers in regards to RP activity.

The poll will be up in the RP Discussion forum (along with an announcement at the top of the forums on all pages about it). Everyone will get one vote and will NOT be able to change it like was possible in the 2010 vote. Thus, make it count. The poll will be heavily moderated to ensure nothing goes wrong.

I also want to encourage ONLY non-Balmung people to vote. This won't be enforced or anything, but it's only fair to let those who want their own server to make their own decisions. This will be THEIR community after all, and its success or failure is on their shoulders. It will also help reveal the amount of interest in a secondary server.

All non-Japanese, non-Legacy servers will be in the poll (including European ones).

Hrmm. That was interesting. I went to Balmung on my old 43 for curiosity sake. There was a queue and that started me thinking about the queues, and potentially folks not being able to make characters there down the road. So I'm definitely in support of a second NA RP server. While I know that is is Beta, I just don't want to chance folks being unable to go to a specific server.

Hrmm. That was interesting. I went to Balmung on my old 43 for curiosity sake. There was a queue and that started me thinking about the queues, and potentially folks not being able to make characters there down the road. So I'm definitely in support of a second NA RP server. While I know that is is Beta, I just don't want to chance folks being unable to go to a specific server.

It was mentioned the limits for Legacy servers were going to be temporarily lowered to prevent an overload in the starting areas.

Hello everyone! Sorry, I'm new and I apologize for the dumb questions. 

Will people be able to make new characters on the Legacy servers? It's not that I don't have a character from 1.0, I do, but the new races are something I've been heavily considering. I didn't RP my first time around 1.0.