New to FF RP in general, have questions.

HI there! I'm new to FF not so much RP, I've been doing that for TOO long.

Anyway what servers should I be looking at For NA East Coast RP or just RP in General, and are there any lorebooks or resources I can use to make a new character.

Finally, anyone willing ot take in a newb would be much appreciated, thanks again!

How to see you all out there!

Hello! 

For the most part, Balmung, Mateus, and Omega (EU) are the servers with the most RPers on them. Balmung's currently locked due to server-crippling overpopulation, however. I'd recommend Mateus as your best match at this time.

FFXIV does have a lore book (and a fancy one at that), but much of the information can also be found in-game, on the Gamer Escape wiki, and here on the RPC. There are also a bunch of tumblr posts with lore dumps. Our Lore Discussion forum's a good place to search. Many of the older threads may have some funky formatting as we changed forum software back in February 2018. A good place to start for lore is on the previous site's Lore Index https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=17897 (It's also here, but we're working on getting all the quotes to look readable again. Hand-written html is fun.)

If you've got specific questions about your character, or need assistance in that regard, I'd suggest making a post in the Character Workshop, where replies will be tailored for your character. Disclaimer: Replies may vary depending on levels of lore-abiding/bending/breaking you and the people you might want to RP are interested in. While we can make a lot of things "work" in the lore, Hydaelyn is pretty consistent and preferences among RPers vary! Not all concepts are compatible with all RPers, and that's totally fine!

Lastly, I'd also recommend making a Character Wiki page on our wiki. It uses the same login credentials as the forum and it's also a good place to check out other people's characters! It's a good compliment to our Player Directory, which holds player information like timezone, RP preferences, etc. 

For NA, Mateus is the biggest open RP server. You can find a link to their community discord here.

There is a lore book called the Encyclopedia Eorzea, which you can purchase from the SE store. Alternatively, I think the Mateus discord has a PDF version of the book in their pins. The book has a decent amount of information in it (some factual errors, but not terrible) but it's not super comprehensive about a lot of topics. There's a lot of lore in this game, most of which you can discover by doing the MSQ, sidequests, talking to npcs, and reading item descriptions. You can also check out my Lore Index to learn about certain topics in greater detail. Or just feel free to ask questions here on the RPC forums!

Hope this helps!

Mateus will lock on occasion during primetime hours (and those bordering it). You can probably squeeze a character on during off hours like 2-6AM Pacific/Eastern.

They do sell namechanges and fantasia potions (remake character appearance) on the Mog Station as optional items, if you wanted to edit your Balmung character, but I'd save that for a later time like after getting settled in the game again.

If you still have a character left on balmung I would reccommend starting on that, it has a very established community and its extremely overpopulated so its easy to find people.

Saying that however there is no real in for other friends to come with you if your not on balmung anyway, which leaves new people coming on here at a exact nil until they open the servers up again. The people here are nice though! so thats definitely an opportunity to explore.

Otherwise as Unnamed suggested Mateus may be the best for a steadier stream of people, but both servers are excellent for roleplay

As a resident of Mateus; Friday-Sunday during prime time is difficult to get a character. The time this usually lifts is 10pm PST onward. However I don't often see this lockout myself. But it's usually there during high-populated times. Though this also tends to happen with most medium-large pop servers especially on the data center that shares with Balmung (I used to be a Balmung resident myself; but decided to move due to my commute and timezone). I can confirm that both Balmung and Mateus are quite good for RP. Just depends on what sort of culture you're looking for and if you can get on Balmung for example.