Beast Tribe and PCs

Although some beast tribes remain reclusive, there are also more sociable tribes that already have known established city-state contacts.  For example the Sylph and Gridanians have a fairly cordial relationship while the Namazu have been seen living both in Kugane and friends of the people of Namai.

My question is to what extent do you think it's appropriate to discuss relations with beast tribes?  I'm considering making my Lalafell a small time merchant who is trying to break into beast tribe trading as it is a relatively untapped market, but I'm not sure if that would be too "out" there.  I have a house in the Lavender Beds so I want to put that into her background and I was like why would a Lalafell be in Gridania and was like well until the liberation of Ala Mhigo and Roma, Gridania was the middle ground between City States and would make it possible to travel to different beast tribes.

I'm still drafting though so perhaps that isn't a viable solution!  Any thoughts on how beast tribes and character motivations or backstory would be appreciated!

Here's what I've observed:

Goblins: Goblins in Limsa Lominsa work in the city and as highway bandits. The same can be said for Qiqirin in Limsa Lominsa. The Goblins of Idyllshire work hand-in-hand with the other races to rebuild Idyllshire and have a working relationship with Rowena. At the beginning to the Idyllshire rebuild, they were scoffed at but most people have come around and warmed up to them. They're an industrial race and seem eager to do business with others. The Idyllshire Goblins also have a working relationship with the Vath of the Vath Adventuring Guild. In Ul'dah they're banned like other beastmen and exist on the outskirts.

Limsa Lominsans are willing to do business with them, Ul'dahns are more wary, Ishgardians and Dravanians are likely to have a more favorable opinion of Goblins. Not sure about Gridanians.

Qiqirin: Again in Limsa Lomina they have a positive relationship with the locals. They do trade and seem very industrious. Curiously, though you see multiple Qiqirin around the area, you never see them together. So maybe the La Noscea Qiqirin are more solitary? They're banned from entering Ul'dah and are considered a nusiance. They live in little camps that adventurers are encouraged to surpress and because of past behavior, they aren't allowed in the Coffin & Coffer tavern. They openly attack High Bridge. In Gyr Abania, there seem to be a distinct type of Qiqirin that has devolved into man-eating and nest near the Ziggauraut. There are normal Qiqirin there too, which are held in higher regard and are invited to council with the other leaders of the region.

Limsa Lominsans are willing to do business with them, Ul'dahns think they're pests or little beasts, the non maneating ones are respected enough to warrant the honor of being part of the new Ala Mhigan government or whatever they're doing over there.

Mamool Jaa: Mercenaries from the New World, they work as sellswords in Limsa Lominsa. They... don't get along with the Tonberry.

Sahagins & Kobold: The Limsa Lominsans are actively suppressing these guys for various reasons. The Sahagin are vicious and aggressive and seem to have no interest in people beyond drowning them for their gods. The exception being the family you do the beast tribe with, who are specifically outliers. The kobolds seem like they're less aggressive and just want to be left alone but are constantly being pushed off their land. The beast tribe quest follows a group of losers who are willing to turn to the WoL and others to help them suck less.

Limsa Lominsans have strong opinons of the Sahagin and Kobold and are likely to scoff and be actively hostile to anyone who would defend or do business with them. With the Sahagin there's the added paranoia of anybody associating with them being tempered.

Moogles: The Ishgardians and the moogles have a working relationship following their discovery in the Churning Mists. They work together to restore the Landlord's landmarks in the Mists, even putting up with a lot of the Moogles annoying antics. I'm kind of confused with Moogles, because it seems like everyone can see the Post Moogle, who said he's showing himself so he can do his job, and the Adders seem used to them too, and the Ishgardians are like "right, Moogles..." but then other characters are shocked to see them for the first time.  Also there are nomadic moogles in Dalamasca.

Gnath & Vath: The Gnath are aggressive and viscious, but the Vath are extremely friendly and outreaching. They do business with the Ishgardian knights of the convictory, the hunters of Tailfeather, the goblins of Idyllshire, and the Dravanian dragons. They ape the society around them, so a lot of the behavior and customs they adopt mimic Ishgardians, local hunters, and adventurers. They have their own adventurers guild where anyone can come to pick up extra work. Due to their eagerness for trade and networking, it's likely they'd harass any merchant they met.

I think where your character goes and who they talk to will determine the other characters reaction. An Ul'dahn is likely to look less favorably upon a beastmen than a Lominsan. An Eastern is going to be a lot more chill with beastmen than a Garlean.

@Aegir
Thank you so very much for the well thought out and compiled information!  It has helped me immensely and given me a lot to think about.  The summaries you provided will definitely come in handy and also save me from having to max out the Sahagin just yet because I, for one, have not even bothered to unlock them yet, haha!

Once again I appreciate you taking your time to respond to my question.  I hope the rest of your day treats you well!

During 1.0 trading with beast tribes was actually a kinda big (and new) deal and exclusively done by the Ashcrown consortium. This trade was mainly aimed at buying big amounts of invaluable crystals in exchange for goods and trinkets given to the tribes. The Consortium was a vital and big part of crystal resources for all the city states.

This came progressively to a halt when said beast tribes suddenly expressed mistrust and stopped trading their crystals, or trading, period. This threatened the Consortium finances and they contacted the Path of the Twelve (or was it the Circle of Knowing....? duh) to investigate, and pretty soon found that the beast tribes were using their huge crystal production in order to summon primals in order to defend themselves against a more and more oppressive human presence, especially garlean (and this under Ascian schemes, but that wasn't revealed until very much later).

For more info check Sounssy's compilation here

Edited by Valence

@Kieron Lohengrin

Oh good to know!  I stopped playing during 2.2 and didn't come back to the game until 3.4 so I missed the restoration of Idyllshire.  What a tricksters gambit of them to pull but glad to see they maintained their positive relationship!  Thank you for the information!

@Valence

I had no idea that the Consortium even existed so this has been very enlightening and also very inspiring!  Though reading about a mass murdering of the Sylph makes me sad; they are so cute.  This will definitely be of great use and I appreciate you directing me towards it!

...I really need to buckle down and do beast tribe lore posts. Aegir and Valence already made good posts, I'll see what I can add to that.

GRIDANIA: Moogles ▲ | Sylphs ▲ | Goblins  ~ | Qiqirn  ~ | Ixal ▼

Moogles- In the Black Shroud, moogles are the messengers of the elementals - beings the Gridanians consider embodiments of Nophica. Moogles are highly sensitive to aether, which allows them to hear/feel elementals far better than people. It was the moogles who taught the first conjurers and though they are rarely seen, they are greatly respected, and many in the city-state endeavor to learn mooglespeak. Adding to what Aegir mentioned, moogles are very timid creatures and rarely show themselves to people, using a form of invisibility magic that does not work on us because we have the Echo. Until the recent Calamity destroyed communications between the city-states, the only time moogles were seen outside the Twelveswood was in one of Ul'dah's black market sales. After the Calamity, the seedseers employed them as messengers. Even so, they try to remain invisible while doing this. 

Cecilia: "Saved by moogles? To even see a moogle in one’s lifetime is rare enough, but to be saved by a pack of them? Not many can make such a boast."

Sylphs- Gridania and the Sylphs have had good relations for many centuries, however, the last decade or so has seen relations diminish somewhat with the Sylphs ever growing distrust of people. There was a time when you could find Sylphs in every city-state, supposedly, but now they even limit their presence in the city of Gridania. Valence already linked my post about the Ashcrown Consortium, but that was founded by the Sylphs in order to make peace between the various tribes and the city-states through the crystal trade.

Shanga Meshanga: "While many know of the Ashcrown Consortium, very few realize that it was the Sylphs who founded the business, many, many years ago. Now, the network they so painstakingly built encompasses all the city-states in Eorzea. If it were not for the Sylphs’ pioneering efforts, the free peoples of Eorzea may never have succeeded in establishing trade relationships with the other beast tribes."

Goblins- Gridanians seem to be on the fence with goblins since their return from their Great Pilgrimage. They're allowed in the Twelveswood and even Gridania, but there's a few Gridanians who don't seem to care for their presence. 

Qiqirn- Much like the Goblins, Gridania doesn't seem to have any particularly positive or negative opinion of the beast race. They're seen as a nuisance at best according to one Wailer.

Ixal- Gridania's most hated enemy. Ixal once claimed dominion over the Twelveswood, or Tinolqa, as it was called when they roosted there. However, the elementals cast them out, which forced them to flee north to Xelphatol and Coerthas where they began losing their feathers and ability to fly. They hold this against the Gridanians who live there now and repeated acts of barbarism against the Wood have soured Gridanians' opinions of the beast tribe to the point that merely associating with the Ixal is grounds for exile from Gridania. 

O’dhinek: “The beast tribes are as different from us as night from day─plain and simple. There’s no sense trying to understand them, much less live side by side. And a swift exile from Gridania awaits any who hold otherwise. Aye, we had a healer years ago who found that out to his cost. Seemed a good enough sort… until the day he tended to the wounds of an injured bloody Ixal, citing ‘the healers’ oath’ or some such nonsense. What could possibly bring a man to take pity on that filth?”

LIMSA LOMINSA: Qiqirn ▲ | Goblins ▲ | Mamool Ja  ~ | kobolds ▼ | Sahagin ▼

Qiqirn- Qiqirn, having no unified tribal identity or beliefs, fit in well with Lominsan seafarers who likewise are more loyal to their crew than a unified national identity. In Limsa, Qiqirn can be found as merchants, pirates, black marketeers, gourmands, etc. 

Ighii Moui: “I seen the way you been glarin’ at the ratboys on deck. Well, let me warn you: lay a hand on ‘em, and their prickly hide’ll be the last thing your meaty digits ever touch. Qiqirn have their place on a ship, as does a helmsman or a cook. Them sniffers they got can tell when trouble’s brewin’, and them claws o’ theirs’ll rip clean through a fishback’s fins. That, and they make for decent fare when a ship’s larder’s spent. Heheheh.”

Goblins- Similar to the Qiqirn, Goblins are welcome as merchants in the city-state.

P’tahjha Stah: “Where is Sweetnix with those import records? Without the proper documentation, I am afraid we shall have to expel him from the city… Why, these are Sweetnix’s records! Glad I am to see they were submitted in time. Honestly, you would think that goblin would have lost his fear of our offices by now. Every month he is to submit these papers, and every month his tardiness forces me to consider his removal. As long as one follows proper procedure, Limsa Lominsa is quite welcoming of foreign traders. Pray convey these words to Sweetnix─perhaps it will aid in soothing the poor goblin’s fears.”

Mamool Ja- A newer race from Mamook, the New World. Since its discovery by Ketenramm about 80 years ago, relations between the Mamool Ja and Limsa have been amicable. They've only started migrating to Limsa since the Calamity and have been hired as mercenaries. Though they've also caused various problems for the city-states which is why they get the ~ rating. 

Kobolds- Complicated. Skirmishes and bloody territorial disputes have occurred on and off since the city-state's founding. Limsa will push for land here, the kobold push back. The kobolds push for land there, the Lominsan push back. Despite this, kobolds were actually welcome in Limsa Lominsa (often found as metallurgists or shopkeeps) and relations with the tribe were fair until relatively recently (15 years ago ish). This changed after the first summoning of Titan in 1562. In order to mine more crystals for their god, the kobolds increased their presence in La Noscea, which caused tensions with the sporadic farmer and settlement. In 1563 with Merlwyb's rise to power, the new Admiral began pushing back, taking more and more kobold land for new frontier settlements and farming, in violation of their treaty. By the time Titan was summoned again, tensions with the kobolds forced the rest of the beast tribe out of the city proper and the exodus to U'Ghamaro began.

Bango Zango: “My name is Bango Zango, junior archivist with the world-renown Brugaire Consortium. When I was littl- Er, when I was young, I dreamed of opening a store which employed only kobolds. Kobolds are quick and they have sharp minds, and they used to be friendly to us here in Limsa. I say ‘used to’ because in the past few years they’ve changed… It seems my dream will never come true.”

Sahagin- Limsa's most hated enemy. The Sahagin have been attacking Lominsan ships since nearly the city's founding, though until the rise of the Scarlet Sea Devil 15 years ago, they mostly kept to their own territory, the Indigo Deep. After the first summoning of Leviathan, the Sahagin, specifically the Coral Tridents faction, grew more fanatical, even by Sahagin standards. It was in order to better wage war against the Sahagin that the treaty with the kobolds was originally struck. After the Calamity, relations with the Sahagin hit rock bottom. The Calamity washed away one of the Sahagin's main spawning grounds, and seeking suitable ground to lay their clutch, the Sahagin invaded western La Noscea and razed several settlements. Captives of Sahagin raids are tempered and join the ranks of Serpent Reavers, men who've sold their souls to Leviathan. Novv isn't really an exception to this, he still worships Leviathan and believes his god is owed its due, but he also knows from firsthand experience that a few tempered souls isn't worth the retribution that's sure to come from the Maelstrom or Barracuda.

Encyclopedia Eorzea - Year 1517: “Limsa Lominsa petitions the kobold tribes for a peace accord in order to focus their strength on the campaign against the Sahagin, and avoid fighting a war on two fronts. At the conclusion of negotiations with the 1st Order Patriarch, the two parties sign a pact of non-aggression which states ‘to man goes the bounties of the sea, and to the kobolds the bounties of the land.’ The ambiguity of the agreement, however, will eventually invite further conflict.”

UL'DAH: Goblins  ~ | Qiqirn ▼ | Sylphs ▼ | Amalj'aa ▼

Goblins- I'll start with the beastmen the Ul'dahns despise the least. In 1559, the Syndicate enacts a law banning all beastmen from the city proper. One reason for this is to eliminate competition between Ul'dahn merchants and beastmen peddlers, such as the goblins, who had but recently returned from their Great Pilgrimage. The other reason because of the Imperial threat following the fall of Ala Mhigo. Given Ul'dah's and Garlemald's trade relations, the Syndicate didn't want to invite the Empire's ire over allowing "lesser races" into the city. However, this move garnered mixed reviews - some merchants believing it was an untapped market that was being wasted, while others applauded it and further believed that the beast tribes should be purged from the sultanate altogether.

Havak Alvak: “Faced with an impending imperial invasion, the Syndicate passed a policy to purge the sultanate of all beastmen, who found themselves unceremoniously banished by the bevy. Overnight, the sight of sylvan crystal merchants and goblin junk dealers alike up and vanished from the Sapphire Avenue Exchange. Despite the decree’s dubiousness, it was warmly welcomed by the majority of merchants, who regarded reduced rivalry with relish.”

Qiqirn- While the Qiqirn find themselves in similar circumstances as the goblins, Ul'dahns have taken a keen disliking to the beast race after many of them turned to banditry following their exile from the city. That said, there are some exceptions where Qiqirn were permitted to remain in Ul'dah. Apparently Frondale's Phrontistery employs a few to manage their books and guinea pig new medicines. 

Charlys: “In Ul’dah, you will find there are many sympathetic to the Empire. As a result, the Garleans’ hatred of the beast tribes is not as frowned upon as it is in other city-states…"

Sylphs- Sylphs were banished along with the Goblins and Qiqirn. Some remained with the Ashcrown Consortium's branch in Ul'dah in secret, but most left for good. 

Shanga Meshanga: "It goes without saying that few in the Sultanate share my fondness for beastmen… and so I keep up appearances as a common trader. I would ask that you keep all that I have told you in the closest of confidence."

Amalj'aa- Ul'dah's most hated enemy. Once allies during the War of the Sisters several centuries ago, repeated offenses eventually formed an irreparable rift between the beast tribe and the sultanate. Though trade was likely once possible, now the Syndicate edict and further laws make any trade with beast races deemed hostile illegal, namely the Amalj'aa. Tensions came to a head when the Amalj'aa first summoned Ifrit in 1564. Tempered by the Lord of the Inferno and determined to expunge 'slave races' from their holy lands, the Amalj'aa have renounced all crystal trade and have begun kidnapping travelers en mass to temper and strengthen their primal god.

Havak Alvak: “Recent years have seen the Amalj’aa threat grow gradually to pose a perennial problem for Ul’dah alongside the advancing Garlean Empire. Bad blood has boiled between us and the lizardmen for generations, born of an ongoing dispute over demesne. Hostility on the Amalj’aa’s part would peak pronouncedly in the wake of the tragedy at Mythril Pit T-3, a trend academics ascribe to the appearance of Ifrit.”

ISHGARD: Moogles  ~ | Vanu Vanu  ~ | (Vath) ▲ | Gnath ▼ | Goblins ▼ | Ixal ▼

Moogles- Recently discovered in the Churning Mists within the last year, the end of the Dragonsong War has prompted a small Ishgardian presence in the floating islands surrounding Sohm Al, Eorzea's highest peak. According to the Moogle beast tribe quests, most Ishgardians view the moogle tribe as insufferable due to their constant mischievousness. 

Vanu Vanu- Another recently discovered tribe, dating back only a few years. Initial contacts between the Ishgardians and the Vanu were peaceful, though some Vanu tribes have become increasingly territorial. The Vanu are used to isolation, but have made the effort to learn the common tongue to trade with the Ishgardians. 

Encyclopedia Eorzea - The Vanu Vanu: "These avian beastmen dwell upon the floating islands of the Sea of Clouds, the tribe's existence unknown to the world below until the airships of Ishgard first rose to explore the sky's domain. Initial encounters with the races of man were peaceful, but in recent years the Vanu Vanu have grown hostile towards those who would encroach upon their homeland."

Gnath/Vath- Gnath are keen hunters and skilled alchemists, and are viewed by the hunters of the Chocobo Forest as "violently territorial." The Vath - Gnath who have been disconnected from the Overmind and become individuals - on the other hand, have recently formed a new Hive and the Vath Adventurers' Guild actively seeks amicable relations with its surrounding peoples, including the Ishgardians and Goblins. 

Goblins- Mentions of interactions between the beastmen and Ishgard are scarce, however, the majority of them are negative like the quote below. Not sure what exactly the goblins did to win the ire of the Ishgardians, but the two don't get on well. 

Goblin Up Sharlayan (L): "The goblins have taken what remained in the rubble of Sharlayan, and gangs of the lawless beastmen have proliferated where dignity once stood. The unbelievers grow bolder every day, flaunting the laws of the Holy See with aggressive gestures. I rarely give order beyond the walls of Ishgard, yet they tempt me so in their profane behavior, spitting out expletives that tarnish Halone and thus beckon the rulings for heresy. I will pay good coin to the adventurer who can protect the integrity of Sharlayan by offering the goblins the chance of exile from the place. Should they rather choose the sword, show them no mercy."

Ixal- In the Year 1562, the Ixal summoned their goddess Garuda with the fervent desire to imbue them once more with the power of flight. Garuda gifted to them airstones, allowing the race to power their warballoons against the wind. With this new blessing, the Ixal expanded from Xelphatol into Coerthas, building Natalan. With Xelphatol being mostly devoid of trees and resources, the Ixal used this forward base of operation to begin deforesting eastern Coerthas and northern Tinolqa to build strongholds, airships, and perform their rituals to Garuda. Fortunately, the Ixal have been little more than a thorn in Ishgard's side, while Gridania has been made to endure the full focus of Ixali attacks.

Liflin Gulin: "If Garuda has power to spare turnin' airstones to eyes… Come to think, that stronghold went up quicker than any thought possible. Mayhap the might o' the Ixal's greater than any thought, too… Bugger those bloody birds! They're the last thing we need to be worryin' about, what with the Garleans marchin' on the realm."

ALA MHIGO: Qiqirn ▲ | Ananta  ~

Qiqirn- As Aegir mentioned already, there are groups of Qiqirn who are respected peoples of Gyr Abania and were invited to participate in Ala Mhigan affairs of government. There are also Qiqirn who, in the twenty years of harsh Garlean dominion over the region, have turned to cannibalism/man-eating to survive. This seems largely isolated to the Qiqirn who've built their nest at the Ziggurat. 

Ananta- This is another complicated one. According to some quests, there are a lot of Gyr Abanians who don't know what an Ananta is, much less that some are friendly beastmen. The Ananta have inhabited Gyr Abania since long before the Ala Mhigans, but mostly keep to themselves. Some of the Vira faction of Ananta have joined with the Resistance, while the Qalyana are more aggressively territorial and zealous to their goddess, Lakshmi, preventing peaceful negotiations between them and the Ala Mhigans.

Lyse: "There's even some beastmen─well, beastwomen, I suppose─like that one over there. She's an Ananta. They've been with us for a while now. Well, one of the smaller factions has. The rest won't have anything to do with us. We're no different from the Garleans to them. They keep to themselves, spending all their time crafting. Ananta make the most amazing jewelry, by the way. They use magicks to twist metals and crystal into shapes you wouldn't believe. It's a pity people hardly ever get to see their work. But then most don't even know they exist."

HINGASHI & DOMA: Namazu ▲ | Kojin (Blue)  ~ | Kojin (Red) ▼

Namazu- Friendly to both Hingan and Doman peoples, the Namazu are mainly merchants, artisans, and fisherfolk with somewhat amicable relations with the peoples of the Far East. Their greatest claim to fame was their role in the unification of Yanxia and the birth of Doma under King Ganen, who later employed their people as royal messengers. In the recent Namazu beast tribe quests, the Namazu have expanded their trades into the Azim Steppe and endeavor to make lasting friendships with the Xaela tribes there. That said, the Namazu are very often seen as nuisances at best and a plump meal at worst.

Kojin- Once respected traders to both Hingashi and Doma, these denizens of the Ruby Sea suffered under the Empire's 25-year rule over the region. The Kojin of the Red, skilled warriors, turned mercenary for Garlemald, while the Kojin of the Blue retreated to their underwater village to live in relative isolation. Now, the Kojin of the Blue seek to breath life back into trade in the region and are generally held in high regard by those their trade once benefited. 

Hope this helps, Panini! ^^

Also,

23 hours ago, panini said:

I was like why would a Lalafell be in Gridania

Though Lalafell are certainly a minority race in Gridania (part of that 10% Other races statistic along with Sea Wolves), Gridania has its fair share of notable Lalafellin citizens, such as Fufucha the Botanist guildmaster, and Figaga. Don't let ARR's limited NPC race distribution discourage you!

Edited by Sounsyy

I suspect that ishgardian quote/leve against the goblins to come from an isolate individual, and a very religious bigot, as they seem to be legion in Ishgard related various quests. One of the BTN quests where they trial people and condemn them to death for saying that chysahl greens aren't native to Coerthas is pretty telling imo... But who knows, maybe, but I would be wary of considering it representative to the whole view over goblins. 

For the sahagin, to add on what has been said, it's probably, even more than the amal'jaa or the ixal, the most hostile and dangerous beast tribe to man for that their tactics employ very active primal tempering, and the use of lominsan tactics and tools against themselves through the Serpent Reavers, who behave just like particularly nasty and unethical pirate renagades. Like the amal'jaa anyway, they can be pretty cold and ruthless when it comes to man, that they will consider like a nuisance, a bit reciprocal to the view man has of them at times. Other beast tribes are usually more passive and only tend to react to hostility or mistreatment more than anything else. The ixal are a bit different and are just driven mad by revenge, which makes them a lot less calculating.

Granted, the attack is lead by Travanchet (Ascian) in the following video and some unusual and unique stuff happens, but we can clearly see (not in the video) the leaders of the Sahagin/Reavers commanding their ships. The result can be quite nasty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSwWLbUn44o