RPing WOL + FC question

Okay so I know rping the WoL has been talked about before but 1. that's from a few years ago 2. it was with the idea there is only one WoL

So my question is, how would people feel about someone rping a WoL with the context that there is more than one? Would people be interested in there being a FC with the bases that it's a group of adventures with the title warrior of light? 

Whenever I look into rping WoL it's a lot of Very Negative reactions of cutting out the "special snowflake" and that no one will rp with them. I get it because if one person is the main character how is it fun for everyone else but like, why not push your character to be a main character then? If that makes sense lol But yeah I'd want to play with the idea that it's not just one WoL doing everything on their own but rather a group of them working together. Also makes shit more understandable so it's not like "ah yes, one person is carrying the whole world". I mean it's acknowledged that the WoL just calls up some adventure friends to do shit, might as well spice up MSQ.

Also note: I haven't beaten Stormblood yet and I haven't rped in FFXIV (yet) (but i have rped)

The main issue you're going to run into is that the MSQ makes it clear that there is only one WoL.  Now, as far as I remember, there were Warriors of Light in 1.0...they were the adventurers who remained on the fields of Carteneau to protect Louisoix.  If I'm not mistaken, they vanished in the aftermath and no one remembers what they looked like.

So, it would be possible to play one of those Warriors of Light.  But the Warrior of Light is a singular person, the main character in the story.  And...that would be a very hard sell, to say the least.

This is one of those things were it gets a little fuzzy.  The Main Story Quest focuses on THE Warrior of Light, a single person.

BUT... that person is NOT THE ONLY Warrior of Light. There are many people with The Echo, the chosen of Hydaelyn. Remember when you first created your character, and the cut scene showed your character and dozens of others flying around the giant crystal? Those were other WoLs.  Who are those mysterious people who show up when you need to take down a Primal (those conveniently close 'friends' others refer to)? Those are other WoL's.

The game does a very poor job communicating that there ARE others. They may not be outright called Warriors of Light, but they do exist. Your character could be one of them.

Would others accept your character being called a WoL? That might be a hard sell. But call your character a Scion, and there should be no problems. I've met a few who do that, even got one in our FC.

Edited by Tregarde

This is one of those things were it gets a little fuzzy.  The Main Story Quest focuses on THE Warrior of Light, a single person.

BUT... that person is NOT THE ONLY Warrior of Light.

Insofar as the Warrior of Light that is referred to in quest after yest, yes, that person is the only Warrior of Light.  Are there other Warriors of Light?  Like I said, yes, there were and possibly are.  Whether or not they came back from the Calamity, I couldn't tell you - it's not clear.

There are many people with The Echo, the chosen of Hydaelyn.

Having the Echo seems to be a prerequisite of being the titular Warrior of Light, but there are plenty of people with the Echo who never directly interact with Hydaelyn (Ysayle  comes to mind). They aren't Warriors of Light.  Some of them have no idea where their powers come from, and they would disagree that they were "Chosen of Hydaelyn," if they even knew what "Hydaelyn" was.

Remember when you first created your character, and the cut scene showed your character and dozens of others flying around the giant crystal? Those were other WoLs.

They were clearly people with the Echo, but I never got the impression that they were actually other Warriors of Light, as it were, since the meaning of that term seems to have morphed between the end of 1.0 and the beginning of 3.0. 

Who are those mysterious people who show up when you need to take down a Primal (those conveniently close 'friends' others refer to)? Those are other WoL's.

Or they're just adventurers? We've already seen people without the Echo take part in Primal battles.  Hell, before the Warrior of Light showed up, normal folk were the only option for taking down Primals before they ravaged the land. I've never seen anything to indicate that the only people we take with us are other Warriors of Light.  The quest texts are generally the same - go get your best "allies" and bring them to fight with you.  Well, the Warrior of Light is perhaps surprisingly short on Echo-bearing allies, so it stands to reason that the vast majority of people helping us out don't actually have it.  It is, after all, rare?

The game does a very poor job communicating that there ARE others. They may not be outright called Warriors of Light, but they do exist. Your character could be one of them.

I'll give you that the MSQ does a very poor job of communicating that the other Warriors of Light existed...but it's always come across to me as a deliberate choice on the part of the devs to emphasize that your character in particular is the Warrior of Light, in the singular.  The super special main protagonist, if you will.  I agree that you can probably pretty easily claim to be a Scion - hell, I know of at least one player character that is one, and no one bats an eyelid at it (although it's not like she has a banner she carries around with her advertising her status). I don't agree that it would be easy to get people to accept someone using the label "Warrior of Light," even if you were trying to indicate you were one of many

Which doesn't mean that you can't play it @gayprotagonist.  You can absolutely play that angle if that's what you want to do.  What you will need to do, though, is find a group of players willing to accept that story and play it with you.  That is ultimately the main limitation.  The idea you have isn't going to be accepted by every, or even most, players.  It's kind of a niche thing, from what I've seen, anyway.

Edited by LiadansWhisper

Relative normies with the Echo fighting Primal-level threats are already established in canon. See: the Lakshmi story fight, and the recent written story chapter featuring Arenvald and Fordola.

You don't need to be the Warrior of Light - or as the case may be next year, the Warrior of Darkness - to have the Echo and fight big bad Primal-level threats. The game's already done a decent job of communicating that. Keep in mind, however, is that most of the quest text emphasizes how he never fights alone - he always has "nearby friends" for 8-mans / 24-mans. Who all presumably at least have the Echo, or they'd end up tempered.

So, one WoL fighting and soloing Primal-level threats? Seems unlikely. A bunch of people with the Echo taking on these quests? Well established in canon.

6 hours ago, Kieron Lohengrin said:

Relative normies with the Echo fighting Primal-level threats are already established in canon. See: the Lakshmi story fight, and the recent written story chapter featuring Arenvald and Fordola.

You don't need to be the Warrior of Light - or as the case may be next year, the Warrior of Darkness - to have the Echo and fight big bad Primal-level threats. The game's already done a decent job of communicating that. Keep in mind, however, is that most of the quest text emphasizes how he never fights alone - he always has "nearby friends" for 8-mans / 24-mans. Who all presumably at least have the Echo, or they'd end up tempered.

So, one WoL fighting and soloing Primal-level threats? Seems unlikely. A bunch of people with the Echo taking on these quests? Well established in canon.

I'm not entirely convinced that the only people who fight with the WoL are people with the Echo.  It seems like Primals have to very deliberately set out to temper someone - Garuda never does it in combat, only afterwards.  Lakshmi may or may not be doing it in the middle of the fight, but you're using the Vril to block it.  She does, however, attempt to temper people before and after the fight itself.  Shrinryu doesn't appear to try to temper anyone, unless I'm misremembering the fight, and neither does Bismark, Ravana, Susano, or Ramuh (Ramuh does temper some Sylphs, but only because they beg him to).  So I think it's perfectly plausible for normal soldiers/warriors to fight Primals even without hte Echo.  It's just, they run a much higher risk of never coming back.

9 hours ago, LiadansWhisper said:

I'm not entirely convinced that the only people who fight with the WoL are people with the Echo.  It seems like Primals have to very deliberately set out to temper someone ~snip~

This is definitely a case of poor & inconsistent writing. We know Primals can 'temper' someone - heck, we see it in the very first fight against a Primal! - but they never seemed to lay down any 'rules' about the process. Some Primals seem very eager about tempering, some only seem to care for selected minions (which makes some sense, as they are summoned by specific people/races). It kind of made sense that a Primal could not temper in the middle of a fight, but many times we had our non-Echo friends run away which implied that they were worried they could be tempered - then not long ago we have a fight were have to protect people in the middle of a fight!  And there is the fact that Primals have been taken down by 'normal' people, so... *shrug*

Regardless, we know for a fact that Primals CAN temper someone. The Echo provides protection from it. These 'friends' of the WoL who show up when we need to take down a Primal MUST have the Echo - otherwise why would they be needed, and people without the Echo run away? If you look at 'Warrior of Light' as a job, they qualify (just like how in post HW we encountered several Warriors of Darkness). If you look at WoL as a title, only ONE person has it.

For the record, one of my favorite lines in the whole game was in SB when Lyse mentioned, before fighting Susano, how maybe the WoL's friends conveniently followed along and are nearby fishing. Clearly an acknowledgement by the writers know how ridiculous the story can be.

Edited by Tregarde
addition

Anyone claiming that their character is a Warrior of Light is basically claiming that their character is one of the most important people to exist in Hydaelyn. If you really want to do it, nobody can stop you - but the negative reactions are usually justified. Most role-players will either ignore characters along those lines or brush them off as being delusional. I've yet to see it done well - because it's the sort of concept that simply serves to alienate more people than it pleases. It's also inherently selfish by its very nature. It's the equivalent of joining a theatre group and loudly proclaiming that you will play the leading role and everybody else has to resign themselves to being stage props.

You could potentially find other people to team up with to also play fellow Warriors of Light yet it'll end up with quite the awkward echo chamber - usually one involving those present stroking each other off and highlighting just how much more important and skilled their characters are compared to everybody else. To be blunt, the sort of role-players who want to play such an influential figure are also the sort to be easily prone to drama, so more often than not things crash and burn rather quickly when there's more than one in the same room.

You'd probably find a lot more people to team up with and interact with by simply playing a veteran adventurer. You'd have the 'skilled' angle covered without treading on other people's toes and it'd make it much easier for other role-players to get involved with your character. 

9 hours ago, Tregarde said:

This is definitely a case of poor & inconsistent writing. We know Primals can 'temper' someone - heck, we see it in the very first fight against a Primal! - but they never seemed to lay down any 'rules' about the process. Some Primals seem very eager about tempering, some only seem to care for selected minions (which makes some sense, as they are summoned by specific people/races). It kind of made sense that a Primal could not temper in the middle of a fight, but many times we had our non-Echo friends run away which implied that they were worried they could be tempered - then not long ago we have a fight were have to protect people in the middle of a fight!  And there is the fact that Primals have been taken down by 'normal' people, so... *shrug*

Regardless, we know for a fact that Primals CAN temper someone. The Echo provides protection from it. These 'friends' of the WoL who show up when we need to take down a Primal MUST have the Echo - otherwise why would they be needed, and people without the Echo run away? If you look at 'Warrior of Light' as a job, they qualify (just like how in post HW we encountered several Warriors of Darkness). If you look at WoL as a title, only ONE person has it.

For the record, one of my favorite lines in the whole game was in SB when Lyse mentioned, before fighting Susano, how maybe the WoL's friends conveniently followed along and are nearby fishing. Clearly an acknowledgement by the writers know how ridiculous the story can be.

Except we know that people without the Echo have fought Primals before - both Ifrit and Titan were faced by companies of adventurers without the Echo.  And yes, the attrition rate was very high, but they still did it. Because the Echo just plain isn't common enough (or, perhaps more accurately, not enough people realize they even have it, since it manifests in rather varying ways) for groups of just Echo-users to take on the job.

We also know that the actual Warrior of Light can physically protect people without the Echo from being termpered (see Lakshmi). But, again, you still have people facing Primals who don't have the Echo - even with the Warrior of Light at times.