Assortment of questions

I'm posting this before I go to bed so if what I says doesn't make sense blame sleepiness. And also my lack of general knowledge. I apologize if any of these were posted already!

1. What sort of magic is there in the world? I know there's white magic, black magic, etc but what about things like the dragoon's ability to jump super high or all those cool particle effects when a monk is bashing someone's face in?
  2. How does someone learn magic? Is it something they're born with and then study, or can anyone become adept in an area of magic so long as they put in enough time and effort?
  3. How much do particle effects distract from the game? I come from GW2 where there were particle effects all over the place, but it was helpful when you wanted to combo abilities. I could imagine it being a bit distracting if there was no ability to combo and all the particle effects were essentially lookit my super-mega sword slash! and the like.
  4. What sorts of things in the game, either minor or major, facilitate RP? I've heard that there are a decent amount of emotes and I've seen that character creation is decently extensive, and from what I've seen from screenshots there are a lot of nice places. 
  5. Are there numerous different outfits/weapon skins? Can you dye armor/weapons?Can you transfer stats from a higher level item to a lower level one to keep the appearance without sacrificing effectiveness, or vice versa?
  6. Are there plans for microtranactions or some sort of cash shop in the game?
  7. How fast is the day/night cycle (provided there is one) and is there dynamic weather in the game?
  8. Is there any voicing in the game, either in cutscenes, NPCs in cities, NPCs giving quests, or other places?
  9. How easy is it to switch classes, how many can you advance in, and what does selecting a job do to effect the ease (or lack thereof) of the aforementioned?
  10. Are there any gender roles in society? (particularly Hyur society)
  11. How many different languages are there and how easy would they be to learn?
  12. Would the average moogle get pissed if my character hugged it tightly? (So fluffy...)

Thanks for reading through all of these. I'm stopping at twelve but I have more, trust me.

I'm posting this before I go to bed so if what I says doesn't make sense blame sleepiness. And also my lack of general knowledge. I apologize if any of these were posted already!

1. What sort of magic is there in the world? I know there's white magic, black magic, etc but what about things like the dragoon's ability to jump super high or all those cool particle effects when a monk is bashing someone's face in?
  2. How does someone learn magic? Is it something they're born with and then study, or can anyone become adept in an area of magic so long as they put in enough time and effort?
  3. How much do particle effects distract from the game? I come from GW2 where there were particle effects all over the place, but it was helpful when you wanted to combo abilities. I could imagine it being a bit distracting if there was no ability to combo and all the particle effects were essentially lookit my super-mega sword slash! and the like.
  4. What sorts of things in the game, either minor or major, facilitate RP? I've heard that there are a decent amount of emotes and I've seen that character creation is decently extensive, and from what I've seen from screenshots there are a lot of nice places. 
  5. Are there numerous different outfits/weapon skins? Can you dye armor/weapons?Can you transfer stats from a higher level item to a lower level one to keep the appearance without sacrificing effectiveness, or vice versa?
  7. How fast is the day/night cycle (provided there is one) and is there dynamic weather in the game?
  8. Is there any voicing in the game, either in cutscenes, NPCs in cities, NPCs giving quests, or other places?
  9. How easy is it to switch classes, how many can you advance in, and what does selecting a job do to effect the ease (or lack thereof) of the aforementioned?
  12. Would the average moogle get pissed if my character hugged it tightly? (So fluffy...)

Thanks for reading through all of these. I'm stopping at twelve but I have more, trust me.

I'll answer the ones I am able

3. There will be combinations, FF games tend to be super flashy with the particles so it depends on personal tastes. Personally I love them but you may not as much. There is a way to reduce the effects in your options menu.

4. Beautiful locales, lots of hideaway places like inns in remote places. Also there are crafting classes ala SWG which are classes that are strictly about gathering or crafting. Respectfully they are called Disciples of the Hand (crafters) and Disciples of the Land (gatherers). Want to play Joe the blacksmith, well now you can literally. Want to play Sifa the cook? Yep that too. Or Ed the carpenter? Yep. Even better they will have roles in helping those who have houses (building roves, arranging flowerbeds, building furniture). Better yet if you have a house you can deem it -public- and run it as your very own shop and have your retainer help run it. Housing areas are supposedly open, they are set up like neighborhoods with three different locations one in each city. There are three different housing sizes including one large enough to hold Free Companies (think of these as guilds with objectives.) Free Companies can ally themselves with the Grand Companies of the game (NPC superguilds one in each city with their own respective stories) Free Companies also can formally ally with each other.

One last thing, you can even raise Chocobo's.

5. There is a dye system. You get a dye quest at level 15.

7. The day and night cycle lasts two hours. There will be things that only happen at night as well as nighttime only monsters. There is dynamic weather, it rains even in the actual cities. Rain affects the Fishing class (yes there is a fishing class- Disciple of the Land).

8. Main storyline quest is voiced

9. One character can be every class and job. The switches are literally just switching weapons/armor in the armory system. Each class and job has specific weapons and armor it uses.

I suggest reading all you can on the official game website. I also suggest watching all the subbed versions of the "Letter from the Producer" videos on Youtube. There are seven of them and a lot is shown and spoken about and they are quite detailed. You'd also be surprised how much the lead producer Yoshi P talks about roleplaying in these videos.

1. It's like a a wuxia movie, or shounen anime I guess. Magic is magic, but you also have your supernaturally skilled martial artist types. It's nothing like casting spells, it's just letting the Aether (think chi/ki) flow through you to enhance what you do.

2. The specifics vary depending on the type of magic, and you'll get some insight from Class quests (which happen every five levels) and Job quests (which start at 30). Some talent with manipulating Aether is necessary, but it doesn't count for everything.

3. Limit Breaks are big and distracting, but they are incredibly powerful and important to the whole group. Everything else is pretty but not so extravagant as GW2. There are 'combinations' but not in anything like the way GW2 uses the term. More like fighting games, using certain abilities of yours in succession leads to more impressive effects on your targets. Monks/Pugilists particularly benefit from this.

4. Off the top of my head: Sitting in chairs, facial expression emotes, dyes, Linkshells (private chat channels, which I know GW2 suffered a lack of), the Lodestone, and lots and lots of clothing.

5. Uh, see above for most of this. Item appearance won't be transferrable, instead they're going with the far superior option of a wardrobe system. That is, you just equip what you want to look like in special appearance slots, and you're done. I think it's planned for the first major patch after launch.

6. None whatsoever, to our knowledge. Yoshi-P seems very much against it, considering his particular objections to F2P.

7. It's pretty fast. Cycles multiple times per day. Forget how often. Yes, there is weather, including rain, wind, duststorms and more.

8. Some in cutscenes, but we don't know how much, other than almost none is implemented yet.

9. Super easy, you can advance all of them (but only one at a time) and Jobs don't make it any more difficult. You change Classes just by changing equipment, and you can save multiple outfits for practically instant switching.

10. Traditional Miqo'te tribal society has some major gender issues, that differ wildly between the two Clans. Other races are more relaxed, Hyuran perhaps most of all.

11. Eorzean's the main one. That's all I really know.

12. Perhaps not! So long as you're not threatening, they're quite amiable. :moogle:

1. What sort of magic is there in the world? I know there's white magic, black magic, etc but what about things like the dragoon's ability to jump super high or all those cool particle effects when a monk is bashing someone's face in?

Monks in particular impregnate their bodies with Aether inorder to perform feats of martial skill beyond their regular limitations. In RP, it stands to reason that it can be applied with any fighting style.

There is some latent talent required to use certain types of magic. White Magic or Conjury requires one to commune with the Elementals.

Okay, so I’ve studied real thaumuturgical theories, so I’ll expand upon this for a moment:

Conjury, or the theory proposed by Stillglade Fane, requires the user to attune with the Aether of the area around them in order to perform miracles. Like how a druid would call upon the nature surrounding them to cast spells. They absorb this power and mold it into a different shape. This high level of attunement also makes it easier for Conjurers to heal and grant succor.

Thaumaturgy, or the theory proposed by the Arrzaneth Ossuary, requires the caster to use his own Aether to perform miracles. This power is increased, harnessed, and honed through deep meditation.

3. How much do particle effects distract from the game? I come from GW2 where there were particle effects all over the place, but it was helpful when you wanted to combo abilities. I could imagine it being a bit distracting if there was no ability to combo and all the particle effects were essentially lookit my super-mega sword slash! and the like.

This is more of a personal opinion: the flashy graphics and particle effects are cool at first, but it happens EVERY TIME YOU DO SOMETHING, so it tends to get annoying.

4. What sorts of things in the game,either minor or major, facilitate RP? I've heard that there are a decent amount of emotes and I've seen that character creation is decently extensive, and from what I've seen from screenshots there are a lot of nice places.

Most MMOs tend to give RPers the same tools to facilitate RP, just in a different skin or with slight variations. FFXIV is no different, although the scenery is unmatched.

You can dye armor. Not sure about weapons. But you cannotreskin them. However, there will be a kind of vanity armor set you can equip that will go over your current armor. So you can play the game’s content in your RP gear without suffering from any stat drops.

No final word from the developers, but Yoshi-P is very much against F2P, so I doubt it.

7. How fast is the day/night cycle(provided there is one) and is there dynamic weather in the game?

I believe day and night cycles several times in a day. Weather effects exist in the game.

8. Is there any voicing in the game,either in cutscenes, NPCs in cities, NPCs giving quests, or other places?

The main story quests will have voice overs in multiple languages (you can choose which language and add subtitles). Regular quests will not, according to Yoshi-P.

9. How easy is it to switch classes,how many can you advance in, and what does selecting a job do to effect the ease (or lack thereof) of the aforementioned?

To put it simply, one character can play all the classes, but you can only play one class at a time. In order to switch classes, all you have to do is equip that class weapon.

Gender roles always exist, although we are not sure to what extent in Hyurian society. Tribal Miqo’te have very specific gender roles.

All player characters have the Echo, with allows one tolisten, speak, read, and write in any language with passable efficiency.

LOL. Probably not.

All player characters have the Echo, with allows one tolisten, speak, read, and write in any language with passable efficiency.

It's probably important to note that, while not uncommon, most people in Eorzea do not have the Echo. If you want to roleplay someone who doesn't, you won't be alone. It is a special trait, but not one that suggests your character is special in any way other than having it.

6. None whatsoever, to our knowledge. Yoshi-P seems very much against it, considering his particular objections to F2P.

This makes me SO happy.

7. IMO the day/night cycle is way to short. 70mins I heard but can't confirm. Hoping this gets adjusted because the day/night/weather system is very beautiful to look and something that I would rather implement into RP then ignore.

Thank you to everyone that answered, and in such detail too! I can honestly say that besides a short day/night cycle (which I understand if they're changing monsters/aspects of the world) all of these made me really happy. Like I said I'll probably have more in the future, but first I'll comb through the sources that were recommended.

Regarding #7 in particular, I think an in-game day passes in approximately one real life hour (it isn't exact, and this is intended to be a mechanic to allow for a greater variety of day options, moon phases, etc.)

For whatever it may be worth, most of the RPers I've interacted with tend to ignore the in-game day/night cycle in favor of a chosen time zone. While there may be some inconsistency with this from LS to LS (which can usually easily be overlooked during cross-LS activities or otherwise something may be agreed upon in advance), it is usually much simpler to regard the passage of time this way because it simply makes more sense. If an Eorzean minute passes in about 2-3 seconds, and you're adhering to that exactly, speaking in terms like that where "I'll meet you in two bells' (hours) time," sort of gets muddled. I would infer that to mean that the rendezvous would be in two RL hours' time. Others might do the math and figure that to be in 4 or 5 minutes RL time (or whatever it works out to be).

I'm not saying it's wrong to use that (because I know there are often die-hards who will adhere strictly to that sort of thing). If it works and both parties are consistent and understand what is meant, that's awesome.

But for my own opinion, I'm just thinking that a RP picnic that may go on for 3 hours of real time, and the sun will rise and set three times during that span, and three days will pass. So it makes more sense for me to kind of disregard that passage of time, and perhaps instead may regard it as starting in the afternoon and ending at sundown maybe.

There's been other threads that have discussed this as well, and the topic of weather effects can also be applied, since they can change just as quickly. For something like a picnic, if it's clear when you start, and after 15 minutes it rains, some RPers might indicate OOCly that the rain should just be disregarded since people are out there on the premise of sunny skies and such.

I think the bottom line is that as long as everyone is on the same page, or at least understands where other RPers might be on different pages and is able to at least communicate those differences or understand or come to some sort of an agreement, than everything should be fine no matter what.

I didn't really intend to go on such a tangent, but it was an excellent question and brought up a lot of good points. :thumbsup:

*waves arms* That's meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee on the crate!

But yeah, a lot of chairs/benches/crates support the "/sit" command. Not all, though. I /sit on a crate in Aleport and it was just a regular /sit as if I was on the ground. Perhaps I didn't just move right or something.

Another quick question! I'd like to make a conversion chart for dates but I can't find the current year in the game IC nor consistent info on dates (some sites I found said 1 month = 6 weeks but on the game I could have sworn each month was just the standard 4 weeks). Which way is it, and what year is it? Anyone know?

I'm quite sure the current year is supposed to be 1577. At least the wiki specifies it in the Lore 101 section.

No idea how long months are, though. My (uneducated) guess would be that they are the usual 4 weeks to keep things similar to what all the players are used to.