Gauging Interest: VoIP Server

Would you use an RPC mumble/vent?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use an RPC mumble/vent?

• Yes I would use an RPC mumble/vent
    • No I would not use an RPC mumble/vent

I voted no personally. I've never been a fan of voice chat. In my experience, it only strengthens the whole "clique" mentality further and makes people feel left out. Back in my FFXI days, I knew a group of people who used it during RP events all the time. I didn't (and several other members didn't) and we had no desire or need to. As such, we felt left out of a lot of things and those who were in the voice chat slowly got viewed as an impenetrable clique until they eventually stopped using it.

So to summarize, I think it does more harm than good. That's just me though.

^^^^^ A thousand times.

It's also a pain in the ass to try to RP with people talking in your ears, but you feel left out if you leave. A huge no, from me. No.

And, for those of us who cannot always be ON said mumble due to RL (I dont like being on VOIP when my husband is home, because it cuts him off from conversation with me and is rude to him), it is just another way of being left out.

I voted no personally. I've never been a fan of voice chat. In my experience, it only strengthens the whole "clique" mentality further and makes people feel left out. Back in my FFXI days, I knew a group of people who used it during RP events all the time. I didn't (and several other members didn't) and we had no desire or need to. As such, we felt left out of a lot of things and those who were in the voice chat slowly got viewed as an impenetrable clique until they eventually stopped using it.

^^^^^ A thousand times.

It's also a pain in the ass to try to RP with people talking in your ears, but you feel left out if you leave. A huge no, from me. No.

And, for those of us who cannot always be ON said mumble due to RL (I dont like being on VOIP when my husband is home, because it cuts him off from conversation with me and is rude to him), it is just another way of being left out.

I do agree with this. My Boyfriend would be totes angry if I ignored him completely!

^^^^^ A thousand times.

I do agree with this. My Boyfriend would be totes angry if I ignored him completely!

Different people get left out of a lot of things for a lot of different reasons. Generally, a choice to do one thing is a choice to not do something else.

I'm going to be very busy come game release with graduate school and two RP shells going on, so the time that I'll have to really hang out in a voice chat isn't going to be much, if even possible. Just like a lot of people will be able to RP more and play the game more than I'm likely to be able to. But that's the reality of my situation and my commitments.

But that's my situation. If other people have time and want to do something like this, I think they should be able to. As in, my choices and my situation should not impact how other people spend their time.

I think it's better left to more specific Linkshells and Free Companies to run their own VoIP chats. They can always invite outsiders to join in when they want to chat. So many of us are already on Skype and can use that for any impromptu voice chat with particular people.

I'm concerned that this will inevitably alienate those who do not want to use it. I wouldn't like to speak, and just sitting in there listening without saying anything would make me feel like a creeper, whatever the reassurances of anyone participating. On the flipside, many of those who do participate will drift away from more accessible communication options, because they're too busy concentrating on listening or just feel they don't need them so much.

Just looking at how split the vote is gives me great concern. Deir, I know you're not looking for debate, but what you're proposing is something that could have an adverse affect on the community. A debate can't be avoided, whether a civil one now or an explosive one later. Whether it's in the name of the RPC or Intermission, it's a general RP community thing. It affects everyone, whether we participate or not.

The problem with this poll is no one's reading the question. It isn't "Should this be available to the RPC?" or "Do you think others will use it?" it's "Will you use it?"

I never said no one should have it, I said I won't use it, so I voted no. It's that simple and not really worth debating.

It can't be that simple, Uther. I just explained why.

Well, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

The question at hand of "Are you going to use it if it's there?" is a simple one. If you want to dig deep and think of every possible consequence of there being one, you can, but I took the question at face value. 

Since it's OOC anyway, it shouldn't effect anything IC. If you start RPing in the VoIP chat, I might have a problem. But I don't really care what you're talking about OOC while I'm not there, as long as it doesn't effect IC interaction with my character. I don't feel the need to join an intermission or backstage LS for the same reason. 

I'm here to RP. So I won't be using an OOC function. So I voted "No, I won't be using this." That's my logic behind my vote.

Plain and simple.

I'm not here to start an argument about whether or not the other argument is valid, though. Let's just agree to disagree on this one, Rhostel.

Agreed~

I think it would be interesting, but if there are more

than 4 on the chat, won't that be very chaotic in the

long run?

I've been on mumble before in a room filled with 20 people while we were all at the same event, and even with the delay no one was really talking over each other. It's actually easier to speak with tons of people than you might think!

Still, I think that the points that this may be harmful to the community are valid ones. However, drama llamas happen no matter what you're using to communicate. I personally think this would do more good than harm. Having a space where every member of the FF RPC could hang out would be, in my eyes, very welcoming. While people can get info for VOIP for linkshells/free companies, not everyone is going to ask for it, know it's available, and even get it if they ask for it. More often than not those servers that are specific for guilds/linkshells/whatever you want to call it are spaces just for those members, with guests invited on occasion under specific circumstances. 

If there's a server publicly available for everyone than it could build a lot of cool connections! However take this with a grain of salt, it's something that I'd only use on occasion.

*Updated OP*

Just to let everyone know I went ahead and ordered a server for a month so we could test this out and see how much fun we can have!

Anyone actually interested in the VoIP server, here are the details:

(To download Mumble please click here!)

Server Name: intermission.mumble.com

Port: 5394

Password: FFXIV

PLEASE register with your character name, so everyone can recognize who one another is! If you have any questions/concerns please send me a PM! Thank you!