Ishgard - Territories & Coerthas

Hello,

I have some specific questions regarding Ishgard territories and who owns them. Also I would appreciate some insight in how much potential minor fluff houses and player made houses have.

Edit: Mainly, can lesser houses own territory in Coerthas since after the calamity? Is this implied in fluff and/or are there any examples?

I am curious what kind of territory an Ishgardian lesser count(s? I am not sure if Countess Ystride de Caulignont is the only lesser house count), viscounts, barons, or just normal lords can hold.

Who owned territories like Falcon's nest and Owl's nest before the calamity?

I read this on a wiki "Before the Calamity, people from Falcon's Nest were frequently summoned by Archbishop Thordan VII to fight dragons." which to me sounds like falcon's nest was potentially independent before the ice came but its not a good source at all. 

When the calamity hit Coerthas, did everyone evacuate to Ishgard city itself or were there other safe places to survive the climate shift? (like what about camp dragonhead or similiar places)

I'm interested in what you think, thanks.

Edited by Princess Cassandra

It's very likely there were lesser Houses that owned land outside of the Holy See until everything became a frozen wasteland, but probably nothing more than a farm plot or a hunting lodge, or something. 

I'd have to do some digging for any actual examples.

Edit: Okay... I can't find anything without pouring through reams of side quest dialog (which I'm not crazy enough to do) looking for any specifics, so I'm going to stick with the medieval feudal model I've had running in my head in regards to Ishgard nobility and fluff, 'cuz that would make the most sense.

Edited by Darshendros the Eternal

That would be pretty time consuming so I don't blame you

1 hour ago, Darshendros the Eternal said:

It's very likely there were lesser Houses that owned land outside of the Holy See until everything became a frozen wasteland, but probably nothing more than a farm plot or a hunting lodge, or something. 

So all the Ishgardian lesser houses are pretty much based in Ishgard city itself? There are no lesser house outpost, small forts, or small settlements in Coerthas? 

In many settings I often assume that there are additional locations that are not explored due to game limits or because they are not important so that is what I assumed with the lesser houses especially since they are not really mentioned in detail.

If I remember correctly, the house of the character Crammevoix (forgot the house name) in the Scholasticate series used to own some parcel of land in Coerthas, whose smallfolk they sacrified in the name of twisted ishgardian honor before forfeiting their lives as well.

So yeah the ishgardian nobility can either own properties of various kinds in Ishgard proper, but also outside. Some of that property can be land.

( not to be confused with official major defensive citadels like the Stone Vigil, etc, that belong to Isghard proper, even if they are entrusted to some of the major noble houses )

Edited by Valence
1 hour ago, Valence said:

If I remember correctly, the house of the character Crammevoix (forgot the house name) in the Scholasticate series used to own some parcel of land in Coerthas, whose smallfolk they sacrified in the name of twisted ishgardian honor before forfeiting their lives as well.

So yeah the ishgardian nobility can either own properties of various kinds in Ishgard proper, but also outside. Some of that property can be land.

( not to be confused with official major defensive citadels like the Stone Vigil, etc, that belong to Isghard proper, even if they are entrusted to some of the major noble houses )

Thanks, that is a rather good example of what I am looking for. I wonder though, if these events (the sacrificing) took place before or after the calamity.

I think if lesser houses have minor territories in Coerthas then they definitely won't be on the scale of vigils or Camp Dragonhead.

3 hours ago, Princess Cassandra said:

The main thing I want to learn is, can lesser houses own territory in Coerthas after the calamity? I should have clarified since there is a big difference and Ishgard seems to have lost a lot if not most of its ground.

I don't see why they wouldn't be able to hold territory in Coerthas after the Calamity, but I'm not sure the territory would be in any way useful at that point.

18 hours ago, Princess Cassandra said:

That's a fair point, I'm not sure if they would be useful enough either other than maybe as additional military installations or housing. 

So do you think or doubt that these territories exist in fluff and/or are realistically plausible in rp?

There's an ENORMOUS gap in our knowledge of what exactly is going on in Ishgard, and even how the city-state functions at this point.  I don't see why such things couldn't exist in RP. If it's not defined, it's honestly up for grabs, imo.

2 minutes ago, LiadansWhisper said:

There's an ENORMOUS gap in our knowledge of what exactly is going on in Ishgard, and even how the city-state functions at this point.  I don't see why such things couldn't exist in RP. If it's not defined, it's honestly up for grabs, imo.

Ah I understand and agree. It would be really nice to see how Ishgard developed over time and learn more. 

I appreciate your input. 

7 minutes ago, Princess Cassandra said:

Ah I understand and agree. It would be really nice to see how Ishgard developed over time and learn more. 

I appreciate your input. 

I have ENDLESS QUESTIONS about many things in this game.  Don't get me started about religious belief and practice!

I mean Ishgard is just starting to expand and reclaim its territories again since the Dragonsong War is over... Citadels like the vigils, lands like Falcon Nest and whatnot are being supplied again by the capital more regularly... They also expand in the Sea of Clouds, Diadem, etc. 

But even before the end of the war, you still had villages scattered around Coerthas. Estinien comes from one such that got burned to the ground by Dravanians. The girl that puts a sleeping drug in the WoL's drink during the peace celebration in Falcon Nest in the MSQ also saw a fate similar to her own native village happening. Settlements are legion. Ishgard couldn't hope to survive alone without them, especially during the 5 harsh years of the Calamity where they decided to close their gates to everybody.

You just have to be aware that the land since the calamity has seen incredible weather change, lots of settlements like the Gorgane Mills or Hemlock in Western Coerthas for example only host ghosts now, since western coerthas was the area the most hurt by climate change, and also the closest to Dravania.

On 7/15/2019 at 8:12 PM, LiadansWhisper said:

I have ENDLESS QUESTIONS about many things in this game.  Don't get me started about religious belief and practice!

Haha I do too, so many specific questions.

11 hours ago, Valence said:

I mean Ishgard is just starting to expand and reclaim its territories again since the Dragonsong War is over... Citadels like the vigils, lands like Falcon Nest and whatnot are being supplied again by the capital more regularly... They also expand in the Sea of Clouds, Diadem, etc. 

But even before the end of the war, you still had villages scattered around Coerthas. Estinien comes from one such that got burned to the ground by Dravanians. The girl that puts a sleeping drug in the WoL's drink during the peace celebration in Falcon Nest in the MSQ also saw a fate similar to her own native village happening. Settlements are legion. Ishgard couldn't hope to survive alone without them, especially during the 5 harsh years of the Calamity where they decided to close their gates to everybody.

You just have to be aware that the land since the calamity has seen incredible weather change, lots of settlements like the Gorgane Mills or Hemlock in Western Coerthas for example only host ghosts now, since western coerthas was the area the most hurt by climate change, and also the closest to Dravania.

That's true about Ishgard expansion and I'm certain that with the lockdown lifted and the war finally over, Ishgard can really take back everything they lost. 

Estinien's village though, Ferndale, was destroyed long before the calamity. 

I want to investigate that MSQ.